• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR 2 Will Use Tobii Eye Tracking, Company Confirms

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
psvr2-headset-controllers-image-block-02-en-22feb22

Tobii, the global leader in eye tracking and pioneer of attention computing, is pleased to announce its innovative eye tracking technology will be featured in the upcoming PlayStation VR2 headset.

"PlayStation VR2 establishes a new baseline for immersive virtual reality (VR) entertainment and will enable millions of users across the world to experience the power of eye tracking,” said Anand Srivatsa, Tobii CEO. "Our partnership with Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is continued validation of Tobii's world-leading technology capabilities to deliver cutting-edge solutions at mass-market scale."

Tobii will receive upfront revenue as a part of this deal starting in 2022 and revenue from this deal is expected to represent more than 10% of Tobii's revenue in 2022. Due to the rapid evolution of the VR industry, revenue contribution guidance beyond 2022 is associated with significant uncertainty. Consequently, at this point, Tobii cannot provide guidance on the revenue potential beyond 2022.

For years now Tobii has developed eye tracking hardware that’s already been integrated into other VR headsets. In 2018, for example, the company worked with Qualcomm to develop a standalone VR reference design with eye-tracking. In 2019, Tobii technology was integrated into the HTC Vive Pro Eye. More recently it was integrated into the HP Reverb G2 Omnicept Edition and the Pico Neo 3 Pro Eye.

MacReady13

I'm a complete know-nothing when it comes to this kind of stuff- what benefits does eye tracking give you in VR?

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'm a complete know-nothing when it comes to this kind of stuff- what benefits does eye tracking give you in VR?
It allows for a variety of things and most importantly can be used for advanced foveated rendering (rendering higher details where you are looking, and lower details where you aren't).

Can also be used for HUD elements, in game mechanics, and even NPC interactions.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Eye tracking makes it possible to reduce GPU load and / or deliver a higher quality graphics experience through foveated rendering. Foveated rendering is a process that works by only rendering the specific part of the screen where the user is currently looking in full resolution.

Edit: Beaten!

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Eye tracking makes it possible to reduce GPU load and / or deliver a higher quality graphics experience through foveated rendering. Foveated rendering is a process that works by only rendering the specific part of the screen where the user is currently looking in full resolution.

Edit: Beaten!

And it can also be used as an input, like making NPCs react when you're looking at them or selecting menu options just by looking at them.

It allows for a variety of things and most importantly can be used for advanced foveated rendering (rendering higher details where you are looking, and lower details where you aren't).

Can also be used for HUD elements, in game mechanics, and even NPC interactions.
The biggest benefit is probably multiplayer/social interaction.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

And it can also be used as an input, like making NPCs react when you're looking at them or selecting menu options just by looking at them.
Yes! Quite the underestimated feature!

In addition it could also reduce motion sickness since the image would adjust to the eye position. Or things like scanning the iris like you would with the fingerprint on a smartphone could be used.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The biggest benefit is probably multiplayer/social interaction.

Hmm, I don't really think so. You'd have to be very close to another player avatar to be able to tell where their eyes are looking. PSVR2 will be much higher resolution than the original (and most other headsets), but it will still be lower res per eye than a 4K TV.

Hmm, I don't really think so. You'd have to be very close to another player avatar to be able to tell where their eyes are looking. PSVR2 will be much higher resolution than the original (and most other headsets), but it will still be lower res per eye than a 4K TV.
You can easily see where another character is looking if it's next to you in things like VR chat.

yes. because everyone will be able to tell when you are looking at their virtual boobs.
Well there you have it, you already came up with a good gameplay mechanic.

Last edited:

I remain skeptical about foveated rendering until I see it myself. The idea that you can't see the entire lense view when playing VR makes no sense to me. The idea that you can decrease detail and resolution at the speed of eye movement also makes no sense to me. Seems like complete bullshit. I get rendering a little less where your head is not pointing in a 360 degree room but not your eyeballs.

mckmas8808

Banned
I remain skeptical about foveated rendering until I see it myself. The idea that you can't see the entire lense view when playing VR makes no sense to me. The idea that you can decrease detail and resolution at the speed of eye movement also makes no sense to me. Seems like complete bullshit. I get rendering a little less where your head is not pointing in a 360 degree room but not your eyeballs.

It's that fast my man.

Con-Z-epT

The human eye is incredibly slow! Their are countless visual test that proof how restricted our vision is. There is no "magic" behind this. Just technologie slowly surpassing us.

Tarkus98

Anyone have any impressions of this tech already on released headsets?
This may be the first in a consumer VR headset? I think the article said it's being used in something though. Gotta go back and read it again, ugh.

Edit: looks like it's being used in headsets I never heard of. Wonder if anyone here got to experience it.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Eye tracking could also help with throwing accuracy, by "nudging" the object you're throwing in the direction your eyes are focusing.

Last edited:
I wonder if eye tracking can be used in some way to improve depth of field? Maybe not. Playing games like Rogue Squadron, you realized how bad VR is at creating a sense of scale. The giant frigate ships always looked and felt so small. It was extremely disappointing.

Crayon

I wonder if eye tracking can be used in some way to improve depth of field? Maybe not. Playing games like Rogue Squadron, you realized how bad VR is at creating a sense of scale. The giant frigate ships always looked and felt so small. It was extremely disappointing.

Vr is very good at making a sense of scale. Some games don't get it quite right, though. Skyrim feels like everyone is 5 feet tall. I thought rogue sqaudron wasn't too hot in that sense, either. Though I suspect some games might do it for comfort.

I thought so too but someone here posted some good info in a previous thread. Basically, while the angular velocity of your eye movement is pretty fast, the amount of time it then takes your eye to physically refocus is slower than multiple screen frames. So your eyes will start pointing where you are going to focus with enough time for the system to re-render the image so that the new area you are looking at is clear before you focus.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I thought so too but someone here posted some good info in a previous thread. Basically, while the angular velocity of your eye movement is pretty fast, the amount of time it then takes your eye to physically refocus is slower than multiple screen frames. So your eyes will start pointing where you are going to focus with enough time for the system to re-render the image so that the new area you are looking at is clear before you focus.
Exactly.A Big Deal.

Rudius

Imagine being in a western game and shooting with the precision of Clint Eastwood in those old movies. You can hit a coin tossed in the air among many tossed at the same time, or the gun of the one bandit you wanted to hit first when you drew your revolver and shot from the hip. You wander how you can shoot so well. The game must be cheating in some way, and it is: when you pull the trigger pointing at a general direction the game knows were you were looking at that precise moment and changes the bullet's trajectory slightly to create the illusion of marksmanship.

Crayon

This auto aiming biz sounds too easy. It would work better for throwing things. That's a thing we are weirdly good at but is hard in videogames. It's like we have irl auto aim for throwing things.

hlm666

Anyone have any impressions of this tech already on released headsets?

I'm a little surprised this will only be 10% of tobiis revenue, are they supplying it for cambria? or are those cheap chinese headsets coming really expected to sell that much? Like they mention this in that statement.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

The human eye is incredibly slow! Their are countless visual test that proof how restricted our vision is. There is no "magic" behind this. Just technologie slowly surpassing us.

You've never spoken to someone with crazy eyes and it shows.

nemiroff

Gold Member
This may be the first in a consumer VR headset? I think the article said it's being used in something though. Gotta go back and read it again, ugh.

Edit: looks like it's being used in headsets I never heard of. Wonder if anyone here got to experience it.
The Reverb G2 is pretty well known though, and I have one. I use it mainly for flight sims and racing sims. It's a great inside out track two-panel 4K headset compatible with both WMR and SteamVR. Very bright and great clarity, arguably the best one out there right now. Mine doesn't have eye tracking (that version is double the price so I'm rather waiting for new lens technology and smaller headsets coming around the corner). I'm still using non-dynamic foveated rendering though and the funny thing is that it works pretty good when tuned well in OpenXR tools.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Tobii will receive upfront revenue as a part of this deal starting in 2022 and revenue from this deal is expected to represent more than 10% of Tobii's revenue in 2022. Due to the rapid evolution of the VR industry, revenue contribution guidance beyond 2022 is associated with significant uncertainty. Consequently, at this point, Tobii cannot provide guidance on the revenue potential beyond 2022.
Bingo?

I'm a little surprised this will only be 10% of tobiis revenue, are they supplying it for cambria? or are those cheap chinese headsets coming really expected to sell that much? Like they mention this in that statement.

It's projected to be 10 % for 2022, when PSVR 2 will still be unreleasead or largely so, while it is " unpredictable" for following years

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Petition to rename eye tracker Tombi when?

Not necessarily. The payment up front from Sony could just mean for production with an early 2023 release. I'm thinking PSVR2 will be coming the same day as REmake 4 but I have no proof to think so.

reksveks

Tobii doesn't just do gaming so the fact its 10% sounds about right. There isn't many indepth reviews of the tech. I think that's cause there isn't many hardware options and more likely there isn't much in terms of software support at the game level. That's something that the psvr2 should kickstart for the wider vr space.

sinnergy

Is VR still relevant? Feels like a gimmick that still isn’t ready .. like 3D tv. I applaud that they are innovative with this , but I rather leave that to other companies for when it’s ready for convenient use in gaming . I rather see the money spend on great normal games .

Last edited:
Top Bottom