• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR is dead

BGs

Industry Professional
"PSVR is dead"

giphy.gif

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
As someone who bought it, loved it for a week, bought twenty games for it, then started to use it less and less until a year ago when it started to just collect dust - it absolutely is. The setup, the constant having to recenter your view, the abysmal image quality, it's all not very cool. It's no surprise that the best PSVR game is a game that would work even better in standard single screen gaming (Astrobot). The honeymoon period with PSVR was great, but then its shortcomings really start to get to you.

Hostile_18

Banned
As someone who bought it, loved it for a week, bought twenty games for it, then started to use it less and less until a year ago when it started to just collect dust - it absolutely is. The setup, the constant having to recenter your view, the abysmal image quality, it's all not very cool. It's no surprise that the best PSVR game is a game that would work even better in standard single screen gaming (Astrobot). The honeymoon period with PSVR was great, but then its shortcomings really start to get to you.

I kind of agree (apart from Astrobot been better outside of VR). It just makes me so excited about a better higher res PSVR 2, with a front camera and without the grain effect and also a standardized controller so you dont have to choose between move controllers without an anologue stick or a less immersive but more accurate traditional controller.

TMLT

It has some decent stuff. Astrobot, Blood & Truth and Doom VFR are all great, Creed is very good especially considering the shortage of boxing games nowadays, Skyrim can be quite impressive although that made me really ill the first few weeks trying to play it.

As a whole PSVR is not an unmitigated disaster, but its not really worth the high asking price either.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Not a big fan of VR myself and honestly don't care if they succeed or flop

It was a nice half an hour-hour experience and thats about it

Thaedolus

Gold Member
The way VR games are, most gamers who even have it I bet barely play it. That goes for the actual amount of time playing it and how long per session.

I don't see too many VR gamers sitting with a brick strapped to their face for 6 hrs sessions on a weekend like people do playing shooters or RPGs.

So what you get is $10-20 games that resemble a demo more than a full fledged high budget game.

Not many people are going to pay $300-600 for VR goggle gaming because most people know that the content (to them) isn't worth it. Theyve already bought a console or have a PC to start with and adding on another gadget will always be a tough sell.

Now if VR was totally on it's own with no other hardware needed, I can see many gamers gunning straight to VR if they want unique gaming and are tired of the usual sit on the coach or chair shooter or FIFA.

Even though not the same thing, that old Samsung $100 VR Gear thing I think has sold the most units, and it's not even a real VR device. You just shove your phone into it. But since it was only $100, people got the gist of it and bought it. So interest is there as long it's cheap.

But as long as VR is an expensive peripheral handcuffed to hardware, it'll always be low sales and the nature of the experience is short term gameplay.

I sat down in a banana chair that my wife has had since she was 5 and played Tetris Effect for like 2 hours last night. Even with a kid and work life and whatever, YMMV, but there’s definitely still a case for VR. I bought it for my sister’s (PSVR) and brother’s (Rift S) family for Christmas and they all love it.

You do you.

ZywyPL

Banned
It does kind of feel like history is repeating itself, like it's 3D all over again, where at first they were building all the hype, announcing all the upcoming games, movies and hardware (like that kick-ass 3D TV that allowed 2 players to see two completely different images), but as the time passed, they started to become more and more silent about 3D, and before anyone noticed, it was already dead. And the current silence around VR reminds me exactly of what happened with 3D, like all Sony's enthusiasm is gone, and they are just patiently waiting for people to forget about it, and the upcoming PS5 release would be a perfect distraction to abandon the VR market. Bottom line is, they have all their data, only they know if it's profitable for them or not and whether they'll continue supporting PSVR, or even release a new model like the patents suggest.

But speaking of 3D, it's a very good example of consumers shaping the market, dictating what they want and what they don't -most people had enormous headache, most couldn't handle the eye strain, and most didn't want to wear the glasses to begin with, the technology was basically doomed from the get-go. And we can see a very similar thing happening with VR, where many many people simply don't want to use VR for multiple reasons, like motion sickness, having to wear those heavy helmets, gimped down gameplay, lack of proper games, the price itself, and so on.

That being said, I'm really curious to see the outcome of HL:Alyx, how it will do, in both reviews and sales, how/if it will push the VR sets sales, and will it be just a one-time case or will anything constructive happen with VR market afterwards. Because I personally cannot fight the feeling HL:A looks like a last-ditch effort, that will single-handedly decide about the future of VR.

LostDonkey

If it was £99-£150 launch, which is all the tech in it is worth. It would have been a massive, unparalleled sucess. But to price it nearly as much as a console and more with bundles was a huge mistake.

Maybe next time with an updated unit and cheaper cost it will really take off.

I wouldnt call it dead. But neither was Vita and they killed that off without blinking so...

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Not much of a comparison, but as far as peripherals go, PSVR has twice as many games in the library and has sold twice as many units as the SEGA CD. Eyetoy sold around 10 million but didn't have nearly as many games. It's not dead but it's not setting any fires.

The fact that it will be compatible with PS5 will extend the lifespan significantly.

MiguelItUp

Man, I don't even own a PSVR and there are enough articles out there pointing to the opposite. Not to mention it moved plenty of units and still isn't doing too bad, especially when it's on sale.

IMO VR has always been in a weird place, on PC it's picking up because of HL:Alyx and the price drop of VR hardware. It picked up on PS4 when their hardware dropped as well. But it's far from neglected. We also have no idea what PS5 is going to be doing with it, but only time will tell. May explain why it's silent, especially with us being between gens right now.

Lots of negativity in here, lmao, why? People angry and defensive, lol.

Last edited:

Three

Prove it otherwise. The burden of truth is on you. You made the claim.
I hope you understand how math works.

If the X is really underselling as suggested that means that the S and Sad are over performing.

In order for the sales numbers to work at 10% X Xbox has to be in the 75-80 million range for the other systems.

Not 50. Either he’s wrong or I am, but it’s the only way to get the hardware numbers to match.
Lol, what?

'How maths works' isn't like that at all.

INC

Was before it was free, one of best supported games this gen. Shame it's not on pc tbh

Last edited:

Iorv3th

OP I think your expecting something different than reality for what these devices are currently capable of. Your not going to get a bunch of exclusive AAA quality games for it. If your going in with that mindset you are just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
It does kind of feel like history is repeating itself, like it's 3D all over again, where at first they were building all the hype, announcing all the upcoming games, movies and hardware (like that kick-ass 3D TV that allowed 2 players to see two completely different images), but as the time passed, they started to become more and more silent about 3D, and before anyone noticed, it was already dead. And the current silence around VR reminds me exactly of what happened with 3D, like all Sony's enthusiasm is gone, and they are just patiently waiting for people to forget about it, and the upcoming PS5 release would be a perfect distraction to abandon the VR market. Bottom line is, they have all their data, only they know if it's profitable for them or not and whether they'll continue supporting PSVR, or even release a new model like the patents suggest.

But speaking of 3D, it's a very good example of consumers shaping the market, dictating what they want and what they don't -most people had enormous headache, most couldn't handle the eye strain, and most didn't want to wear the glasses to begin with, the technology was basically doomed from the get-go. And we can see a very similar thing happening with VR, where many many people simply don't want to use VR for multiple reasons, like motion sickness, having to wear those heavy helmets, gimped down gameplay, lack of proper games, the price itself, and so on.

That being said, I'm really curious to see the outcome of HL:Alyx, how it will do, in both reviews and sales, how/if it will push the VR sets sales, and will it be just a one-time case or will anything constructive happen with VR market afterwards. Because I personally cannot fight the feeling HL:A looks like a last-ditch effort, that will single-handedly decide about the future of VR.

I get the comparison to 3D, but it really falls apart quite fast once you go beyond the “adopting new display tech” similarity. VR is just a whole different level of immersion which has to be experienced, and I’ve never seen anyone try it out and just think “nah this isn’t for me.” 3D TVs and movies are fine but you can quickly forget it’s even a thing once they start. You don’t just feel like you’re watching a regular screen again when you’re in VR. Looking around and hand tracking aren’t really analogous to regular gaming at all. Standing up and ducking and stepping around the room inside a game feels amazing.

It’s still going to be somewhat niche for a while because of the barriers to entry but I don’t think this tech is going away like 3D did. It’s only going to get better and less expensive over time, and like i mentioned, zero people I’ve had try it out walked away thinking they didn’t want a headset.

Romulus

Are you actually claiming its dead because you stopped playing it? I stopped playing my xbox too, must be dead.

And the Astrobot reference is just bizarre, its immediately apparent the levels are designed for VR and in every review they mentioned it elevated the experience.

Last edited:
You should sell it. To get most of your money back while its still worth something on ebay. I'm very glad I never jumped to VR and was able to get that novelty fun factor out of the way in the beginning from just trying it out on demos. Your experience is something I've heard over and over again. Deja vu.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
I learned my lesson with PS Move.

Sony have always been bad at supporting their secondary products.

Gargus

Banned
Like most games in this part of the year there isn't a lot coming out. Plus Sony is having to focus on the ps5. When ps5 comes out I'm sure we will get psvr 2.0 or whatnot.

Romulus

Psvr2 is already confirmed. Theres no "silence" about it. Samsung, sony, and oculus all have new headsets coming, it's not like 3dtv at all. At this point in 3dtvs life compared to VR, the big companies had bailed out. Last year was VR's best year but a longshot.

MDSLKTR

I can't go back to psvr after trying the rift. Oculus support makes it feel like a next gen platform now with quality games (not demo or experiences.... ACTUAL GAMES). Matter of fact I should sell psvr but I'm still waiting on Sony to unveil their bc plans.

ZywyPL

Banned
I get the comparison to 3D, but it really falls apart quite fast once you go beyond the “adopting new display tech” similarity. VR is just a whole different level of immersion which has to be experienced, and I’ve never seen anyone try it out and just think “nah this isn’t for me.” 3D TVs and movies are fine but you can quickly forget it’s even a thing once they start. You don’t just feel like you’re watching a regular screen again when you’re in VR. Looking around and hand tracking aren’t really analogous to regular gaming at all. Standing up and ducking and stepping around the room inside a game feels amazing.

It’s still going to be somewhat niche for a while because of the barriers to entry but I don’t think this tech is going away like 3D did. It’s only going to get better and less expensive over time, and like i mentioned, zero people I’ve had try it out walked away thinking they didn’t want a headset.

Well, we can also compare VR to a steering wheel, which gives you unparalleled immersion and fun but... only in racing games, and nothing more. It won't give anything to you for your yearly CoDs, BFs, Fifas, GTAs, Witchers, Assasins and so on, so even if we put all the price and 3D-like flaws aside, VR is great but... only for VR games, nothing else. Just as motion controllers were awesome, but only for their specific titles, arcade sticks are irreplaceable for fighting games, joysticks for flight sims, and so on, and that why I firmly believe that even if VR survives on the market in the long run, and no matter how good/cheap it will become, it will never get outside of being just a niche for a group of specific games.

Wonko_C

Well, we can also compare VR to a steering wheel, which gives you unparalleled immersion and fun but... only in racing games, and nothing more. It won't give anything to you for your yearly CoDs, BFs, Fifas, GTAs, Witchers, Assasins and so on, so even if we put all the price and 3D-like flaws aside, VR is great but... only for VR games, nothing else. Just as motion controllers were awesome, but only for their specific titles, arcade sticks are irreplaceable for fighting games, joysticks for flight sims, and so on, and that why I firmly believe that even if VR survives on the market in the long run, and no matter how good/cheap it will become, it will never get outside of being just a niche for a group of specific games.
"VR games" is not a genre. With racing wheels you're stuck to racing games only. VR is a medium akin to video ganes that not only allows for any genre you can think of but it also has the potential to spawn completely new, innovative genres.

Last edited:

Romulus

Reading this and many other posts, it just feels like alot of people here haven't play recent VR with its advancements.

Let me make it simple. Any FPS, even 3rd person game can be in VR and it only improves what you had before. You move around just as you did before, but instead, you're inside the game world instead of looking at a flat screen with no depth perception or true-life scale. It just being "racers and horror" games is 2016 mindset, maybe 2017. Alot has changed since.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
oh off course, but for playing them i dont think vr is the beat input anyways, probably just a regular controller.

I agree. Although I haven't touched Dreams, so I don't really know what the tools are like anyway.

Techies

The headset and move controller is outdated now, so it will eventually be replaced by hopefully something on par with the Oculus. But for now that's all that's available for the consoles and that'll only start happening end of this year at the earliest. On the pc side VR growth is directly proportional to the rate at which headsets can be manufactured and the Quest/Index couldn't keep up with the demand before the virus hit China.

For those unaware a lot of supply chains have been delayed until the 15 March. So if you have been planning on getting an Index or Quest you'll only find one in a retail shop if your lucky.

PSVR, the first iteration is EoL this year (Not the platform though). If PSVR2 comes out with the new console the existing library will be automatically rejuvenated. The death of the PSVR will be really really slow.

The economy will dictate that and it's looking really bad.

Top Bottom