• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR PSX 2015 gameovergreggy shoutcast RIGS Mech Combat League

N30RYU

Do you think PSVR will be bundled with any other game than Playroom VR?

Also I just hope they put a VR demos subcategory in the store.

I reckon that there still be a set of short games/experiences included (probably as a download code). Playroom VR is pretty much certain I think. The Deep and London Heist are fairly likely; neither are big enough for retail releases AFAIK.

No Mans Sky bundled with all Playstation VR preorders is my guess.

VR demos or free VR experiences is likely, The video on 'The Walk' film using Playstation VR is a possible free experience.

VR demos or free VR experiences is likely, The video on 'The Walk' film using Playstation VR is a possible free experience.

I really don't think No Man's Sky will be the bundled game, that'll sell a lot on its own - RIGS would be more likely seeing as it's a Sony owned studio and they're going for the whole esports thing. Can't wait anyhow, day 1 for me.

Wow at those impressions. This might be where next gen of gaming starts. I am so eager to try this. Hopefully Sony will have VR stations at retail stores because most people will just ignore it unless they try it. I think that's the biggest barrier of VR: its hard to appreciate it without trying a really good VR world like RIGS.

$300-$350 and I am so there. Just announce the release date and price Sony!

By the way, can old games be patched to be VR enabled? I know they won't be full VR experience but something like 2D-3D conversion on TVs? That would instantly increase its content.

Huh... I watched this right after watching GameSpots Vive/Occulus video. Don't get me wrong, I am uber pumped for PSVR (GTSport), but this vid strikes me as a shitty advertisement. Reaction videos are fickle.

Huh... I watched this right after watching GameSpots Vive/Occulus video. Don't get me wrong, I am uber pumped for PSVR (GTSport), but this vid strikes me as a shitty advertisement. Reaction videos are fickle.

There are plenty of your fellow gaffers here describing their experiences. And I don't think Sony's giving them a cut of profits.

I still dont get why people are so convinced that NMS will be on PSVR.. It would be nice yes, but i dont think its happening

onQ123

so you can use PSVR without taking your glasses off? that's interesting

specs_zpsokqyvprp.jpg~original

Black Hat

I still dont get why people are so convinced that NMS will be on PSVR.. It would be nice yes, but i dont think its happening

Walking around randomly generated planets will get boring fast... but add in PSVR and you have a endless amount of VR content to explore which is a different proposition.

Makes too much sense. Has to be on PSVR.

kyser73

Given the kind of movement in NMS without significant design revision it'd be barf city for lots of people.

Lateral/strafe movement would be the kicker. Forward/backward motion would prob be ok, especially in the open areas.

IIRC Sony did a dev presentation about cracking fast moving FPS and landscspes that the brain couldn't figure out how fast you'd get to it and 'alien' looking environments help.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Walking around randomly generated planets will get boring fast... but add in PSVR and you have a endless amount of VR content to explore which is a different proposition.

Makes sense - apart from the 'walking around in VR' part. They'd probably have to rework how you move around - maybe give you a buggy or something. Plus change how you get into your ship (no camera movements). I do think it could be a great fit for VR, but it more need a special version and therefore come out later ina 'VR edition'

This was taken in 2014. Obviously nothing has been confirmed and for all we know Hello Games could have just requested from Sony to mess around and test the devkit for their own leisure.

But it makes too much sense for this game not to be VR.

I'm seriously doubting it too. Implementing VR into a game that wasn't really built with it in mind might not be the best experience. Plus I'm sure it would just add that much more work and time to a game that's already incredibly ambitious.

Lasty95

I'm seriously doubting it too. Implementing VR into a game that wasn't really built with it in mind might not be the best experience. Plus I'm sure it would just add that much more work and time to a game that's already incredibly ambitious.

It's a system seller though, so I could imagine Sony throwing money and man-power at the problem until it's fixed.

I think it's happening.

Are we going to need PlayStation move for PSVR? Or do we think they will release a new camera with the headset?

Move will be supported/needed for some games I guess? But DS4 will be the main controller for VR...maybe they'll make a new Move, probably not.

But a new camera is definitely not happening.

Deimo5

What are the other VR headsets like if you are wearing glasses? I thought that might have been hard to make comfortable (never tried any).

Carl

When you start a match, you are launched out of cylinder and shot 100 or so feet in the air. I was totally convinced I was that high up, and was legitimately scared lol.

This sounds awesome. I've tried PSVR but unfortunately i didn't get to try RIGS (I played Battlezone) but this looks insanely cool. If PSVR is priced well i'll be there day one and definitely grab this.

Like others said, Sony definitely needs to get this on some demo VR units in as many game retailers as possible because it's stuff like this which will sell people on it.

This sounds awesome. I've tried PSVR but unfortunately i didn't get to try RIGS (I played Battlezone) but this looks insanely cool. If PSVR is priced well i'll be there day one and definitely grab this.

Like others said, Sony definitely needs to get this on some demo VR units in as many game retailers as possible because it's stuff like this which will sell people on it.
I think Sony's plan is to sell to early adopters and they will show their family and friends. There are so many things that can go wrong at public demo units, people breaking things, contracting pink eye, etc.

What are the other VR headsets like if you are wearing glasses? I thought that might have been hard to make comfortable (never tried any).
I have a Gear VR and my glasses fit perfectly under it. No discomfort at all.

Except there's more to it than just "walking around planets"

I doubt the game will be on VR, or at least launch with it, though I think it might be a good idea. But maybe not because they should probably more be focusing on sprucing up the game itself before launch rather than trying to work for VR compatibility.

Move will be supported/needed for some games I guess? But DS4 will be the main controller for VR...maybe they'll make a new Move, probably not.

But a new camera is definitely not happening.

Thanks, just thinking of picking up a cheap second hand PS Move set for the headtracking.

Grinchy

Banned

It would be very surprising to me too, just from a technical standpoint. All we've seen so far has been riddled with choppy framerate and tons of pop-in. I'm not sure if I believe that they will magically get the framerate up high enough to be viable for VR.

joecanada

Wow at those impressions. This might be where next gen of gaming starts. I am so eager to try this. Hopefully Sony will have VR stations at retail stores because most people will just ignore it unless they try it. I think that's the biggest barrier of VR: its hard to appreciate it without trying a really good VR world like RIGS.

By the way, can old games be patched to be VR enabled? I know they won't be full VR experience but something like 2D-3D conversion on TVs? That would instantly increase its content.

Actually I think the impact of people walking into a GameStop for a demo is less than in the past. I think twitch and YouTube vids of popular players screaming or showing how much they like it will be huge too. And of course word of mouth.
Also wonder if psvr will be offered with apps or pay per view events because I know stuff like ringside ufc ppv is in the works.

newsguy

Thus question must have been asked before. Is there a possibility of runnin all audio to a home theater sound system instead of headphones?

Thus question must have been asked before. Is there a possibility of runnin all audio to a home theater sound system instead of headphones?
There will be audio coming out of speakers anyway because video/audio gets sent to the Tv for the social screen. But you're really going to want headphones since the 3D sound will really make you feel like you're there.

newsguy

There will be audio coming out of speakers anyway because video/audio gets sent to the Tv for the social screen. But you're really going to want headphones since the 3D sound will really make you feel like you're there.

Would it be better than a 5.2.1 atmos system? I have never been able to reproduce the dynamics of a well mixed game or movie with headphones.

dezzy8

That's the magical price range right there.

specialK

Banned

That's the magical price range right there.

giphy.gif

onQ123

Would it be better than a 5.2.1 atmos system? I have never been able to reproduce the dynamics of a well mixed game or movie with headphones.

Well it's going to have an extra audio processing in the breakout box & will be doing 360 audio over normal stereo headsets.

Well put it this way: when you turn your head to the right, and hear something to your right, it'll sound accurate with headphones but coming from the wrong direction with a surround sound system. You can try it but I really think headphones will be the way to go.

It's not going to be $300-350.
Insider knowledge or speculation?

newsguy

Well put it this way: when you turn your head to the right, and hear something to your right, it'll sound accurate with headphones but coming from the wrong direction with a surround sound system. You can try it but I really think headphones will be the way to go.

I see, so the surround channels would not follow the camera the way they would on a non VR game :(

kyser73

Insider knowledge or speculation?

Regular PSVR thread shitter.

Not sure if anyone cares, but here are some shots of PSVR from PSX. Currently in the process of trying to model (or have a friend model) the PSVR headset for a special video we're doing, since I don't think getting our hands on one outside of a public event, even just for a few minutes, is currently possible.
If this is incorrect, please contact me :)

SAM_0792.MP4.00_00_38_26.Still001.jpg

SAM_0792.MP4.00_00_25_12.Still004.jpg

SAM_0792.MP4.00_00_16_01.Still003.jpg

SAM_0792.MP4.00_00_36_23.Still005.jpg

Top Bottom