• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 full specs and details

Status
Not open for further replies.

longdi

Banned
By select few. Do you mean people who own a gaming device other than an Xbox?

Idk, VR still bulky headset and wires and motion sickness. I really wanted to get into one, but like most, the extra equipment just takes too much space

sendit

Idk, VR still bulky headset and wires and motion sickness. I really wanted to get into one, but like most, the extra equipment just takes too much space

Oculus Quest, has no wires. Motion sickness would be the only valid concern here.

Last edited:

Marlenus

I was so disappointed with OG PSVR because of the lack of decent racing games that supported it fully. You had Driveclub, Dirt Rally and Wipeout which were all amazing with it and then nothing. No F1, no full GT support, no Pcars or Assetto Corsa.

The one genre that it just works so well with and support was abysmal.

LimanimaPT

This are all good news and I'm looking forward to it.
I had some great experiences with PSVR, the only problems I have with it are: blurred and low definition image and the lack of investment in good software.
Resident Evil on PSVR was one of the best experiences I have had with a video game, it shows that when this medium is correctly used and time and money is thrown at it, amazing things happen.
Astrobot is another great example, what a great platformer (please make a R&C VR), and Moss? Such a beautiful game.
AllI ask are games that I can play while seated...
My only problem with VR technology is the price. I can't image PSVR2 costing less then 400. I guess I'll have to wait a few years and get one second hand for under 200...

P.S. I really don't get those complaining about the wire. Is it so important that it becomes a deal breaker?
I rather it to be wired with good performance then wireless but laggish...

kyliethicc

The only thing I’d add to this is I bet they make a wireless accessory for it. It’ll be expensive (like $250+) but then they can say true freedom high fidelity VR, and still less than the Index with a PC.
Very doubtful.

Adding any wireless option would require them to add an internal battery to every headset. It could add cost, weight, bulk, even make them have to redesign the headset. Its far simpler to just build a wired headset. (Control costs, ensure comfort, etc.) They're trying to pack a lot of tech into a $500 headset. Cuts are inevitable - like wireless functionality.

Maybe if they see enough demand they'll make a separate model that can work wirelessly, but I also doubt that'll happen.

Reallink

Very doubtful.

Adding any wireless option would require them to add an internal battery to every headset. It could add cost, weight, bulk, even make them have to redesign the headset. Its far simpler to just build a wired headset. (Control costs, ensure comfort, etc.) They're trying to pack a lot of tech into a $500 headset. Cuts are inevitable - like wireless functionality.

Maybe if they see enough demand they'll make a separate model that can work wirelessly, but I also doubt that'll happen.

It's inevitable and all but guaranteed, by far the most demanded, requested, and required feature. The only questions are when, and whether they'll sell it as a separate add-on or wait to do an integrated "PSVR2 Wireless" SKU a year or two later.

Last edited:

ABnormal

He means fixed foveated rendering, where the area toward the edges of the display is lower resolution than the center. Very common in Quest games, and very noticeable if you look there. With eye tracking the area you're looking at can always be high resolution, while things in your periphery can be lower resolution to save on resources.
There's not a thing like fixed foveated rendering. If it's fixed, it's not foveated by definition.

nemiroff

Gold Member
There's not a thing like fixed foveated rendering. If it's fixed, it's not foveated by definition.

I see what you mean. It's definitely a widely stretched term when you merge it with the fact that the original meaning is the link to how the fovea in a moving eye works. But in the end that's what they ended up calling it, and it just describes a technique to reduce image quality at the fixed edges of the periphery in a VR headset with no eyetracking. Maybe it works for some lighter consumer entertainment instances, but I would be pretty pissed off if they used this in a flight simulator f.ex., wouldn't make sense whatsoever UNLESS they was able to reduce the image quality EXACTLY aligned to the peripheral flaws/blur for each individual VR headset and user configuration (IPD, eye to lens distance etc, all affects sweet spot and peripheral vision).

Last edited:

MHubert

Very doubtful.

I don't get this - offering wireless as an addon would be a quite easy solution (battery doesn't need to be inside headset), and it wouldn't eat into SKU price - why wouldn't they do this?

ABnormal

That appears to like "4k texture" nonsense. Just inappropriate wording.

Foveated rendering is applied when the rendering is related to where the fovea is directed. If the reduction of detail is fixed regardless to where you look, that has nothing to do with foveated rendering. In the case linked, it COULD be called foveated rendering just in the case you look exactly in the centre of the image. But it's just a scam. You can do that in any flat screen game. But it's awful too look at, since when you play games you look all around the screen, and not junt in the centre. And aven if in VR it's possible to move your head to make what you are looking at coincide with the centre of the screen, nobody does that: it's natural to look around with eyes, not moving the head for any slight change.
That's really just some Marketing scam.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That appears to like "4k texture" nonsense. Just inappropriate wording.

Foveated rendering is applied when the rendering is related to where the fovea is directed. If the reduction of detail is fixed regardless to where you look, that has nothing to do with foveated rendering. In the case linked, it COULD be called foveated rendering just in the case you look exactly in the centre of the image. But it's just a scam. You can do that in any flat screen game. But it's awful too look at, since when you play games you look all around the screen, and not junt in the centre. And aven if in VR it's possible to move your head to make what you are looking at coincide with the centre of the screen, nobody does that: it's natural to look around with eyes, not moving the head for any slight change.
That's really just some Marketing scam.

It's called that because it renders what you're TYPICALLY looking at at a higher resolution than what you typically don't look directly at. But it's not dynamic based on where you're looking, hence the "fixed".

It's not a marketing scam lol, they don't use this term in marketing. My link is from their developer documentation.

You were wrong, just deal with it and move on.

Shmunter

My thoughts, exactly, I don't want wireless and manage another battery in my life shorting my playing sessions with low quality experience.
ONE wire is not a big deal, people really needs to stop with this stupidity "OH MY GOD, there is A WIRE ! I can't handle it"
Yeah, PSVR v1 was bad with the heft and thickness…. But V2 the wire was so petite, it was not much more than a headphone wire in overall intrusion.

ABnormal

It's called that because it renders what you're TYPICALLY looking at at a higher resolution than what you typically don't look directly at. But it's not dynamic based on where you're looking, hence the "fixed".

It's not a marketing scam lol, they don't use this term in marketing. My link is from their developer documentation.

You were wrong, just deal with it and move on.
If you say it...

In these times it appears that words have more importance than logic and actual reality.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If you say it...

In these times it appears that words have more importance than logic and actual reality.

Well, what would you can it then? It describes what it does (render at different resolution based on whether it's what you'll typically be looking at, but not dynamically based on where you're ACTUALLY looking, which the word "fixed" makes obvious).

ABnormal

Well, what would you can it then? It describes what it does (render at different resolution based on whether it's what you'll typically be looking at, but not dynamically based on where you're ACTUALLY looking, which the word "fixed" makes obvious).
That's the whole point. The rendering can't be defined "foveated" if it's not based on the position of the fovea. The fact that you could look at the centre of the image, or that it would be "typical"(and yet most of time the eye wanders around), it's just a coincidence, like a broken clock showing the correct time two times a day. You can do the same thing in a game on regular tv, but nobody would call it "foveated rendering". And the same thing applies to VR (yes, as said, in VR you can move your head to exactly match the centre of screen on what you want to look at, if you want. But in the actual experience, you look at the gaming world mostly moving eyes aroud, not adjusting continuaously the head position - being forced to do so would be stressful).
That border decrease in detail is more akin to VRS or other means of reducing detail where it's LESS LIKELY that you will be looking at. But foveated rendering is not a statistical thing. It's purpose is to render well exactly only the portion of screen that you are looking at, in real time. There's no distinction of Dynamic or Fixed. This last one is just like calling "Virtual Boy" VR just because the name contains the word "virtual" (while it was just a 3d screen viewer to be looked close with googles).
You could call it "concentric rendering", or "fading rendering", or whatever. But what does it has to be with fovea?
Obviously I can understand that if you imagine to play a game keeping your gaze fixed in the centre of the screen, and you progressively reduce rendering detail the farther you go towards the edges of the screen, then you could imagine to call it like that. But that would not be a rendering based on fovea position: it would be the player keeping the fovea on a fixed point.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's the whole point. The rendering can't be defined "foveated" if it's not based on the position of the fovea. The fact that you could look at the centre of the image, or that it would be "typical"(and yet most of time the eye wanders around), it's just a coincidence, like a broken clock showing the correct time two times a day. You can do the same thing in a game on regular tv, but nobody would call it "foveated rendering". And the same thing applies to VR (yes, as said, in VR you can move your head to exactly match the centre of screen on what you want to look at, if you want. But in the actual experience, you look at the gaming world mostly moving eyes aroud, not adjusting continuaously the head position - being forced to do so would be stressful).
That border decrease in detail is more akin to VRS or other means of reducing detail where it's LESS LIKELY that you will be looking at. But foveated rendering is not a statistical thing. It's purpose is to render well exactly only the portion of screen that you are looking at, in real time. There's no distinction of Dynamic or Fixed. This last one is just like calling "Virtual Boy" VR just because the name contains the word "virtual" (while it was just a 3d screen viewer to be looked close with googles).

Foveated rendering is a rendering technique which uses an eye tracker integrated with a virtual reality headset to reduce the rendering workload by greatly reducing the image quality in the peripheral vision (outside of the zone gazed by the fovea).

A less sophisticated variant called fixed foveated rendering doesn't utilise eye tracking and instead assumes a fixed focal point.

You're not wrong that "foveated rendering" should be based on where you're looking, BUT the qualifier "fixed" changes that to instead be based on where you're most likely to be looking.

This is just how it's defined. You don't have to agree, but then you're the outlier.

Last edited:
The Rubber padding on my PSVR V1 is deteoriating like crazy. If someone wears it they will have a head full of black mess.

Hopefully the new PSVR has better materials

Shmunter

The Rubber padding on my PSVR V1 is deteoriating like crazy. If someone wears it they will have a head full of black mess.

Hopefully the new PSVR has better materials
I worked out taking the padding off is the way to go. No heat, no fog. And you still focus far, so you don’t notice. And at night it’s totally fine

ABnormal

Foveated rendering is a rendering technique which uses an eye tracker integrated with a virtual reality headset to reduce the rendering workload by greatly reducing the image quality in the peripheral vision (outside of the zone gazed by the fovea).

A less sophisticated variant called fixed foveated rendering doesn't utilise eye tracking and instead assumes a fixed focal point.

You're not wrong that "foveated rendering" should be based on where you're looking, BUT the qualifier "fixed" changes that to instead be based on where you're most likely to be looking.

This is just how it's defined. You don't have to agree, but then you're the outlier.
Well, that's what I meant when I wrote "words more important than actual reality". We should not accept a wrong definition just because someone wrote it, even if considered an authority. Centuries of progress have been slowed down for things like that:messenger_grinning_squinting:
And in this case, it's even just something on wikipedia.
Anyway, it's not even important, but having worked on VR for years makes me bugged when concepts are casualized. It was just to try to make the discussion more precise, and to discuss a loved matter.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I worked out taking the padding off is the way to go. No heat, no fog. And you still focus far, so you don’t notice. And at night it’s totally fine
I think they are referring to the pieces that rest against your head. Eventually the outer layer will flake off.

Romulus

A very unique hardware situation.

Seems for the first time devs will have a fixed platform and be able to render only what the user is looking at. Seems the benefits could be massive.

This discussion is interesting because of how that might work even better with an SSD in rendering object quality in and out of view quickly. Uniquely, ps5 VR development doesn't need to account for PCs/ps4s etc that don't have an SSD. Everyone does in this specific case.

Danknugz

Why? Most people don't care about VR.
It's one of those gimmicks that's great when purchased, but after a couple of weeks you pack it up in a corner to gather dust.
The way I see it, it’s mostly the software that can be gimmicky, not VR itself. But at this point what you say is more or less valid because 90% of the “games” made for VR are shovel ware.
I’ve had a handful of experiences that I consider “legit” in the sense that I get as psyched about them enough. For me those have bee. Onward multiplayer (pvp only no bots), assetto corsa, ets2/ats, gz3doom, and thief simulator VR. Sadly that’s about it. I have valve index but it’s been sitting in a box since Christmas, haven’t been bothered to set t all up and still using my rift CV1. I guess half life alyx should be good whenever I get around to it.

The way I see it, it’s mostly the software that can be gimmicky, not VR itself. But at this point what you say is more or less valid because 90% of the “games” made for VR are shovel ware.
I’ve had a handful of experiences that I consider “legit” in the sense that I get as psyched about them enough. For me those have bee. Onward multiplayer (pvp only no bots), assetto corsa, ets2/ats, gz3doom, and thief simulator VR. Sadly that’s about it. I have valve index but it’s been sitting in a box since Christmas, haven’t been bothered to set t all up and still using my rift CV1. I guess half life alyx should be good whenever I get around to it.
There's plenty of 'legit' experiences, you've just oddly not bothered to try them out. I mean, you've not even bothered to try Half Life.

AGRacing

Gold Member
I was just playing GT Sport in HDR... still the best implementation of that I've ever seen... and it hit me simultaneously that PSVR2 has HDR oled screens...

If the full GT7 experience is playable in VR (not 1v1 races or anything half-assed) I think it is the PSVR2 launch killer app. They may hold it and launch together in fall 2022.

I was just playing GT Sport in HDR... still the best implementation of that I've ever seen... and it hit me simultaneously that PSVR2 has HDR oled screens...

If the full GT7 experience is playable in VR (not 1v1 races or anything half-assed) I think it is the PSVR2 launch killer app. They may hold it and launch together in fall 2022.
GT7 in VR would be amazing. I would absolute die for an Ace Combat on PS5 in VR. Twisted Metal? Mech games? Sony needs to have things like that in the pipeline.

I don't have a PS5 yet, but maybe I'll wait for PSVR to come out and purchase that along side it.

Imtjnotu

May or may not be true, but I hope it is. I think Sony would like to have a proper event or at least showcase the design via a simple blog post before PSVR 2 goes into mass production, ala PS5. This might fall in line with my prediction for a Feb/Mar PSVR 2 Showcase. 🤞

looks like we could see a holiday 2022 launch

reksveks

Do we have any eta on Cambria?

Seen that it's rumoured to be this year but more likely to be a slightly higher price.

Going to be an interesting year for vr/Mr.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
looks like we could see a holiday 2022 launch
If it's really about to enter production soon, like really soon (February-March), I wouldn't even rule out a release in, say, June 2022 - which would be in the Spring, as claimed by certain analysts. After all, these type of devices only begin mass production a couple of months (for the consoles, usually around 3 months) before launch.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

November 2022

$500 - headset, controllers, and USB-C cable.

And probably some weird trademarked name like PlayStation DualSense / DualShock / Vita / Pulse 3D / EyeToy / Move / Sixaxis, etc. It won't be called PSVR2 or PS5 VR. It'll be some weird name like the Valve Index and Oculus Rift/Quest. Some shit like that. The PlayStation Nova or whatever the fuck they think sounds "cool" and can be trademarked.

Last edited:
November 2022

And probably some weird trademarked name like PlayStation DualSense / DualShock / Vita / Pulse 3D / EyeToy / Move, etc. It won't be called PSVR2 or PS5 VR. It'll be some weird name like the Valve Index and Oculus Rift/Quest. Some shit like that. The PlayStation Nova or whatever the fuck they think sounds "cool" and can be trademarked.
Would be a good idea, PSVR2 doesn't sound very sexy and with a new fancy name they could have a VR restart.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
November 2022

And probably some weird trademarked name like PlayStation DualSense / DualShock / Vita / Pulse 3D / EyeToy / Move / Sixaxis, etc. It won't be called PSVR2 or PS5 VR. It'll be some weird name like the Valve Index and Oculus Rift/Quest. Some shit like that. The PlayStation Nova or whatever the fuck they think sounds "cool" and can be trademarked.
no way. 500 for wired, inside out mainstream headset that requires ps5? too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom