• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 full specs and details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why restart? They didn't fail the first time.
I didn't say fail, but it could have been more sucessful. As far as i remember not even 5% of the PS4 owners bought it although the price droped pretty fast. But fail or not, namechanging is a marketing tactic, look at Microsoft, Sega and Ninetndo consoles. I'm pretty sure Wii U would have been more succesful with another name.

yurinka

It depends if they are selling PSVR at low margins they wouldn't really make a profit on the hardware. And as for games on PC, unless Sony published the games they wouldn't get a cut on the software. Alot of the VR games on PS4 are not published by Sony. They would rather you buy Tetris VR on PS5 than on Steam. Support for mobile makes more sense as that's a different market for smaller VR games and Sony themselves can release some small VR games for mobile.
They typically sell hardware at a loss, and over time with price cuts they end being it at a profit, which isn't very high. Their revenue from hardware and accesories, as happens with the 70% of the revenue of their own games they release on PC or mobile, it's a small portion of their total revenue and profit.

The big majority of their revenue and profit comes from the games sold for their console. Where they get 30% of the revenue generated by the 3rd parties and 100% of the revenue of their own games. So basically to sell consoles, accesories or even to release games on other platforms or make movies, even if they generate revenue and profit themselves have a side goal: to increase the amount of games sold on their own platform.

It's early yet I'm the VR space,
5zvvcs.jpg

Romulus

lol nope. Check the specs. Its a 72 / 90 Hz LCD. PS5 VR is 120 Hz OLED.

And the Quest has a mobile phone processor inside. It can't run real console/PC games on its own.

Walking dead saints and sinners and metal of honor are definitely real pc games. Walking dead is incredibly impressive on standalone Quest 2.

And the Quest 2 boxes above its weight as a pcvr device. Airlink is a gamechanger, and it has a higher resolution than index, not to mention 120hz. Even going forward the quest 2 will have that massive wireless advantage over psvr2.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PSVR2 entering production is public now. The first PSVR really worked, I wished there was more commitment to games (Half Life Alex PSVR version)

kyliethicc

Walking dead saints and sinners and metal of honor are definitely real pc games. Walking dead is incredibly impressive on standalone Quest 2.

And the Quest 2 boxes above its weight as a pcvr device. Airlink is a gamechanger, and it has a higher resolution than index, not to mention 120hz. Even going forward the quest 2 will have that massive wireless advantage over psvr2.

Eh still an LCD with only a 90° FOV. The fact that they shipped it at 72 Hz then upped to 90 Hz and now 120 Hz means they're slowly figuring out what Sony already knew over 5 years ago.

"Wireless advantage" lol. I can play games wirelessly on my phone too. My PS4 is useless now.

mckmas8808

Banned
I'm excited about this hardware and it should be stated, it has an uphill battle of sorts.
Strike one is it being wired, strike 2 could be it's price (will see), strike 3 is that its not stand alone. (Much smaller group of potential buyers)

Glad to hear sony is thinking straight on the games though, if they can effectively add a vr mode to aaa games this will help.

The good thing is Sony doesn't need to be the one to sell the "MOST" VR headsets since it's a companion device. They just need to make a good device that works great with the PS5. And as long as it has content from 3rd parties that are also selling their games on Steam or Oculus along with great 1st party software, then they'll be fine.

Calverz

Eh still an LCD with only a 90° FOV. The fact that they shipped it at 72 Hz then upped to 90 Hz and now 120 Hz means they're slowly figuring out what Sony already knew over 5 years ago.

"Wireless advantage" lol. I can play games wirelessly on my phone too. My PS4 is useless now.
Don’t laugh at wireless advantage. It’s a big deal. Especially vr games that use room scale.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Wireless advantage* Meanwhile, enthusiasts buy the cheap device to tether the one cable into their performance boxes for Flight Simulator, Racers, Half Life Alyx, etc..

*At cellphone spec'ed graphics. Good for the TikTocker normies to crash into walls and televisions like they always do tho! 🤭

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
The Chinese manufacturer Goertek will start mass producing the PSVR 2 soon. Source is a well respected Chinese supply chain analyst known online as 黑毛警长008.
Twitter source:

Announcement in a couple months likely

Romulus

I don't think you know anything about the subject. Everytime youve posted about quest, weve had to educate you watch you move the goalpost all just maintain your original position.

You're ps4 analogy is absurd. Youre literally sitting on a couch with a wireless controller vs a vr headset that you need to move around with, but you're blind and tethered. Completely different. Thats why we're trying to tell you it is a gamechanger with vr.

Last edited:
Wireless advantage* Meanwhile, enthusiasts buy the cheap device to tether the one cable into their performance boxes for Flight Simulator, Racers, Half Life Alyx, etc..

*At cellphone spec'ed graphics. Good for the TikTocker normies to crash into walls and televisions like they always do tho! 🤭
Are you under the impression that you have to connect a wire to play PC games on Quest?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
lol nope. Check the specs. Its a 72 / 90 Hz LCD. PS5 VR is 120 Hz OLED.

And the Quest has a mobile phone processor inside. It can't run real console/PC games on its own.
Quest 2 can do 120Hz. It didn't support it at launch, but it was added in a firmware update.

I do expect PSVR to be higher end in some ways (we've already heard about eye tracking), but it is fair to point out that Quest 2's price has made it a big disurptor/breakthrough in the VR market, and Sony would do well to look at that success when making pricing decisions.

sainraja

Those "hybrid" games sound like absolute garbage. Two completely different ways to play, makes no sense.
Could result in some interesting ways to play — imagine playing a hybrid game where when the character needs to put on a VR like helmet, you put on the PSVR headset. There are certainly good ways it can be used.

kyliethicc

I don't think you know anything about the subject. Everytime youve posted about quest, weve had to educate you watch you move the goalpost all just maintain your original position.

You're ps4 analogy is absurd. Youre literally sitting on a couch with a wireless controller vs a vr headset that you need to move around with, but you're blind and tethered. Completely different. Thats why we're trying to tell you it is a gamechanger with vr.
We?

ethomaz

Banned
Official from Sony:

- "dramatic leaps in performance and interactivity" from PSVR
- "everything from resolution and field of view to tracking and input. It will connect to PS5 with a single cord to simplify setup and improve ease-of-use, while enabling a high-fidelity visual experience."
- "our new VR controller, which will incorporate some of the key features found in the DualSense"

And we've seen the controllers. This confirmed the headset is using inside out tracking.

"Adaptive triggers: Each VR controller (Left and Right) includes an adaptive trigger button that adds palpable tension when pressed, similar to what’s found in the DualSense controller. If you’ve played a PS5 game, you’ll be familiar with the tension in the L2 or R2 buttons when you press them, such as when you’re drawing your bow to fire an arrow. When you take that kind of mechanic and apply it to VR, the experience is amplified to the next level.

Haptic feedback: The new controller will have haptic feedback optimized for its form factor, making every sensation in the game world more impactful, textured and nuanced. When you’re traversing through rocky desert or trading blows in melee combat, you’ll feel the difference, magnifying the extraordinary visual and audio experience that’s so central to VR.

Finger touch detection: The controller can detect your fingers without any pressing in the areas where you place your thumb, index, or middle fingers. This enables you to make more natural gestures with your hands during gameplay.

Tracking: The VR controller is tracked by the new VR headset through a tracking ring across the bottom of the controller.

Action buttons / analog sticks: The Left controller contains one analog stick, the triangle and square buttons, a “grip” button (L1), trigger button (L2) and Create button. The Right controller contains one analog stick, the cross and circle buttons, a “grip” button (R1), trigger button (R2) and Options button. The “grip” button can be used to pick up in-game objects, as one example."

And its obviously going to be similar to the current PSVR, but better. PSVR is a 1080p 120 Hz OLED with about a 100° FOV. So PS5 VR will have a higher resolution and wider FOV 120 Hz OLED display. And the leaked specs back this up and also mention headset haptics, HDR, and foveated rendering. Digital Foundry said they've been told the same thing and the leaks match. Plus we know it'll have great 3D audio.

I didn't know that. Are there any reductions in fidelity or latency when playing wirelessly vs wired? And whats Airlink cost?
Costs nothing… it is just a fancy name to connect your VR device on your Wireless router.

It is recommended to have a good and stable network (5Ghz preferred), your desktop is better to be wired to the router, etc etc.

If you have issues just use wired by Oculus docs lol

BTW it is the same tech as Remote Play… so the video is compressed and indeed have inferior quality… how much? Depend of your network performance… after all the video quality is dynamic based on how much data your network allow.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
My Airlink connection is better and more stable than my link cable connection.

And you need to learn some manners, little boy.

Angry Borussia Moenchengladbach GIF by Bundesliga
Again bullshit.

Your wireless connection is not more stable than your wired connection… that is basically impossible because wireless can’t reach a stable state at all (it is not even create for that).

Stop to spread lies that the manners will reach you ;)

You probably has better quality on air link for several reasons one of these being that your wireless probably will reaching most of time a higher bandwidth than wired (that is probably has a issue because wired should give you Oculus Quest 2 max quality all the time)… but it is not stable at all it is variable.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Again bullshit.

Your wireless connection is not more stable than your wired connection… that is basically impossible because witless can’t not reach a stable state at all.

Stop to spread lies that the makers will reach you ;)

You big weirdo.

The Oculus software and the link cable are quite famous for not being all that great. I'm not the only one who find Airlink to be the better connection. Now, if I wanted to, I'd probably be able to upgrade the cable and maybe fuck about with some settings to change that... but why the hell would I bother when the Air Link is so bloody good?

Wired PCVR is completely pointless when you can play it wirelessly.

I suppose I can safely assume you don't actually have a Quest 2, so don't really know what the hell you're talking about. Are you just salty that wireless VR is perfectly doable, and works really well on the Quest 2?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
You big weirdo.

The Oculus software and the link cable are quite famous for not being all that great. I'm not the only one who find Airlink to be the better connection. Now, if I wanted to, I'd probably be able to upgrade the cable and maybe fuck about with some settings to change that... but why the hell would I bother when the Air Link is so bloody good?

Wired PCVR is completely pointless when you can play it wirelessly.

I suppose I can safely assume you don't actually have a Quest 2, so don't really know what the hell you're talking about. Are you just salty that wireless VR is perfectly doable, and works really well on the Quest 2?
Wired = max quality all the time.
Airline = variable quality due the wireless not being stable at all.

You keep with false claims.
If you have any issue with wired is due your own fault not because air link has better performance and it is more stable (bullshit).

I won’t even enter in the discussion the video send via wired and wireless is the same except the wireless (air link) is compressed over the one that is transferee via air link… hey you can read the documentation to know that.

Edit - Are you using the cable via USB2 instead USB3? Your USB port should be running at 5 Gbps... you will be luck if your Wireless 5Ghz can reach 450 Mbps sometimes.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
To be fair - Oculus created a display-protocol that works over USB2.0 for this, which inevitably means some interesting compromises (and lossy compression) to get it to work. So for people that don't have(or use) 3.0 ports, it could in-fact be an inferior experience to wireless (in some respects). Not likely 'stability' - but I doubt internet has a uniform-use of the term (just like how there's a 100 different meanings for 'lag' out there).

Though for the record (and that goes both for USB2.0 and Wireless) - I'm 99% sure this isn't like a simple video-stream / remote-desktop-like, they 'have' to be using local processing to do final orientation adjustment to compensate for latency (basically analogous to how PSVR does 120hz). Even more certain of this because people are generally quite lenient towards controller lag (pretty much 100% of VR titles have visibly worse latency on hand-tracking and other movement, compared to head-tracking even on wired-devices with full-framerate, and then there's all the 45fps Oculus Rift users out there), but virtually noone would ignore the head-tracking being laggy.

mckmas8808

Banned
I didn't say fail, but it could have been more sucessful. As far as i remember not even 5% of the PS4 owners bought it although the price droped pretty fast. But fail or not, namechanging is a marketing tactic, look at Microsoft, Sega and Ninetndo consoles. I'm pretty sure Wii U would have been more succesful with another name.

Why do people judge PSVR's success this way? It's super stupid to do so. Nobody thinks VR headsets were going to be bought by the majority of PS4 owners. It'll be like judging PCVR based on the percentages of Steam users.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

You keep with false claims.
If you have any issue with wired is due your own fault not because air link has better performance and it is more stable (bullshit).

I won’t even enter in the discussion the video send via wired and wireless is the same except the wireless (air link) is compressed over the one that is transferee via air link… hey you can read the documentation to know that.

Edit - Are you using the cable via USB2 instead USB3? Your USB port should be running at 5 Gbps... you will be luck if your Wireless 5Ghz can reach 450 Mbps sometimes.
Just because USB 3.0 has a theoretical bandwith of 5Gbps doesn't mean Link takes advantage of it. Link's max bitrate is 500Mbps, and while that is better than AirLink's max setting, it's not the night and day difference you might think, and since both are video over data, they have similar latency concerns as well.

mckmas8808

Banned
Yeah, basically anyone who knows or uses VR regularly. Wireless in a gamechanger.

Gamechanger to some degree, yes. But it's not a big road block for wired VR headsets. At least not yet. We're too early in the VR game to think a wired headset is a road block. We are still in the "Super NES" of VR days when we all had wired controllers to play our games.

Romulus

Gamechanger to some degree, yes. But it's not a big road block for wired VR headsets. At least not yet. We're too early in the VR game to think a wired headset is a road block. We are still in the "Super NES" of VR days when we all had wired controllers to play our games.

No, it's not a roadblock. I think wired controllers vs wireless is a better analogy but still a slight. Reason being is most VR games, movement is important, and having a wire tangling from you isn't fun at all. Not to mention if you spin 180 and your blocked off from the outside world. Wireless controllers solved nothing like this.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Wired gives a better image than wireless on Quest 2 no doubt.
But wireless is still better. I’ve used wired on Quest 2 occasionally and I’m always annoyed at that cable, it’s not like using a wired controller, you forget about that, it’s literally in the way reminding you it’s there pulling you out of the immersion. Wired basically only work better than wireless in seated and very stationary games.
And I still think Sony will include a wireless solution on PSVR2 so there is no need to defend the wire, remember that Oculus Quest 2 had no official wireless solution at launch either.

Wireless and standalone is huge, because it literally changes how you're able to use the system. One of these days I'm going to go out to a soccer field and play some of these games on the largest guardian setting I can.

When I was a kid we spent every weekend at my friend's dad's church center because it was just a giant open area and we had nerf gun wars every weekend. You could literally take your system and do this in VR now. You could take it to the gym and ride a bike if you wanted. You can take it to your friend's house who has a large basement, etc. Don't have to set up anything in the room, just draw some lines on the ground and it's ready. You can play in your backyard at night. For all the people that will never have tons of open space in their house, the portability is huge.

PSVR2 is obviously going to be cool, but wireless has some huge advantages. The largest casual market is health / fitness, and you pretty much can't do that wired.

Last edited:

Moochi

If PSVR2 isn't wireless, I won't get it. The Quest 2 set the bar that all other mainstream headsets need to meet or exceed. Visual quality isn't nearly as important as freedom, tracking accuracy, responsiveness, and comfort.

Pagusas

Elden Member
DOA to me if its not wireless, there is no excuse given how amazingly well Quest 2 does playing full AAA PC VR in wireless mode.

kyliethicc

Wireless and standalone is huge, because it literally changes how you're able to use the system. One of these days I'm going to go out to a soccer field and play some of these games on the largest guardian setting I can.
Nobody wants to play Gran Turismo 7 or Resident Evil Village in a soccer field lol.

PSVR2 is obviously going to be cool, but wireless has some huge advantages. The largest casual market is health / fitness, and you pretty much can't do that wired.
Sony doesn't care about that market. Zucky Zuck wants to mass produce cheap mobile VR so everyone can join him in the Metaverse.

Sony on the other hand, is using VR to replace the Vita. The Vita was selling 10-20 million portables that required buying an entirely different system with its own weaker specs, lower quality games, and its own library / storefront. Harder for Sony to make it and convince devs to support it. Lower price too.

Meanwhile PS VR is just normal console gaming. Its the same system, same x86, same store, same library, etc. Much simpler for Sony and easier to get dev support. Hybrid games, etc. And it plays to their strength because its focused on home gaming at high fidelity.

Sony just want an expensive accessory to sell to like 10 million PS5 users and hope they buy a bunch of games. Its not about selling billions of tickets to the metaverse for them.

Last edited:

Rudius

Yeah but you still need a PC.

Desktop PC ~ $1200 + $300 Quest 2 = ~ $1500 total
PS5 $400/$500 + ~ $500 PS5 VR = ~ $900/$1000 total

The Index is the premium PC VR headset. Sony is aiming for a premium PS5 VR headset. Lower cost than the Index, and higher spec than the Quest.
I'm glad that the PSVR2 will have higher specs than Index in most aspects: Oled, HDR, more pixels, eye tracking. Native audio quality will probably be inferior and fov will be similar or a bit less, but more than Quest.

The controllers will have better rumble and triggers; finger tracking will be inferior, but the sensors for the three fingers it tracks are supposed to be analog, so it won't be that far behind.

I expect it to cost 400, as that is the price of the cheapest PS5, bringing the full minimal cost to 800. It will be a great deal for that price.

Nobody wants to play Gran Turismo 7 or Resident Evil Village in a soccer field lol.
Sure. A game where you sit down is great for wired VR. RE8 is fairly slow movement, and it's not room scale or anything so that's fine. Just put it on the analog sticks.

Competitive shooters exist though that can be played room scale where you duck and move with your body. It's basically like playing paintball.

You don't have to downplay how that is fun. I'm just pointing out that it is one area that will affect the type of things you can do.

Fredrik

You can take it to your friend's house who has a large basement, etc. Don't have to set up anything in the room, just draw some lines on the ground and it's ready.
This is the reason I jumped in. A coworker brought his Quest 2 to work, put the headset on, did some Minority Report moves in the air, drew a circle on the floor with a controller, handed me the headset and controllers and said ”Here you go” and that was that. I’m not sure I’ve ever been that blown away by a new gaming tech.

But VR in general lack the AAA games, goes for all platforms. I hope Sony can bring something cool this time, no more half measures, they need to get the best of the best 1st party teams in.

Romulus

This is the reason I jumped in. A coworker brought his Quest 2 to work, put the headset on, did some Minority Report moves in the air, drew a circle on the floor with a controller, handed me the headset and controllers and said ”Here you go” and that was that. I’m not sure I’ve ever been that blown away by a new gaming tech.

But VR in general lack the AAA games, goes for all platforms. I hope Sony can bring something cool this time, no more half measures, they need to get the best of the best 1st party teams in.

You can play in bed or on a train. I was playing Doom 3 last night in bed standalone. Set up took 5 seconds. Or you can hook it up to a PC and play the best-looking PCVR games, wirelessly.

It's literally the switch of VR but with the massive advantage of being able to play maxed-out PCVR games.

Last edited:

Fredrik

You can play in bed or on a train. I was playing Doom 3 last night in bed standalone. Set up took 5 seconds. Or you can hook it up to a PC and play the best-looking PCVR games, wirelessly.

It's literally the switch of VR but with the massive advantage of being able to play maxed-out PCVR games.
Play in bed? Lol never thought about that. Are you lying down or half-sitting? How do you setup the zone?

mckmas8808

Banned
No, it's not a roadblock. I think wired controllers vs wireless is a better analogy but still a slight. Reason being is most VR games, movement is important, and having a wire tangling from you isn't fun at all. Not to mention if you spin 180 and your blocked off from the outside world. Wireless controllers solved nothing like this.

True, but the tech that the games can create in Oculus 2 aren't up to snuff yet. Which is why a good PC or a current-gen console is needed. For now at least. Neither are the "ultimate" solution at the moment. But that's okay.

mckmas8808

Banned
If PSVR2 isn't wireless, I won't get it. The Quest 2 set the bar that all other mainstream headsets need to meet or exceed. Visual quality isn't nearly as important as freedom, tracking accuracy, responsiveness, and comfort.

What about 3 out of the 4, but with better content? Or/and the same content but at a better resolution?

mckmas8808

Banned
I think some of us VR gamers need to realize that at the end of the day, there will NOT one company that dominates all VR. There's a few different ways to tackle the same problem\fun in VR. Sony and Oculus are going in 2 slightly different ways (in regards to wired vs. wireless). Neither are "Better". Just different.

I'm glad that the PSVR2 will have higher specs than Index in most aspects: Oled, HDR, more pixels, eye tracking. Native audio quality will probably be inferior and fov will be similar or a bit less, but more than Quest.

The controllers will have better rumble and triggers; finger tracking will be inferior, but the sensors for the three fingers it tracks are supposed to be analog, so it won't be that far behind.

I expect it to cost 400, as that is the price of the cheapest PS5, bringing the full minimal cost to 800. It will be a great deal for that price.
Higher specs than the index? Definitely not the case at all from the leaks. Inside out tracking alone is a huge step backwards. Audio will be inferior. Pretty sure the same thing with controllers as well. It's a downgrade compared to my index, even if it has PC compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom