• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness hits PS4, PS Vita and PC September 16th

Parapraxis

Niceeeeeeee.
Don't know much about the anime so I won't say day one, but I could see it be that way.

If you're into gritty sci-fi It's pretty great, I recommend it for GitS fans.

How's the english dub for the first season?

I think it was quite alright...over time I've found I enjoy just watching and not reading subs when possible more so I may be easy to please, but I certainly wouldn't call it "bad" (some anime snobs call almost every dub "bad), then again I've only got a few hundred anime series under my belt lol

The first season is incredible and has its own contained story, just ignore the second season unless you're extremely curious.

I see, thanks for the heads up. I'll probably end up watching both season 2 and the movie anyway, but I'll keep that in consideration.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say one good thing about the second season. Literally anytime the anime comes up I've seen has at least one person warning people away from the second season, lol.

How's the english dub for the first season?

I just started the dub, and it sounds fine to me. I like it, although there isn't going to be a dub for the game.

Do you have to watch the anime for this game?
I don't really care much about watching anime...

It's probably not absolutely necessary, but for these types of games it usually makes things more accessible and enjoyable. It's supposed to be set in the first season, so sticking with that is an option if you to keep your anime intake to a minimum.

BearChair

Sorry to join the chorus of questions, but if I watched the first season of the anime and thought it was okay, would this game be for me?

Can someone describe how it plays?

How is this game? Any good?
I'd like to hear some impressions as well. It has been surprisingly difficult to stumble across import opinions in English despite a user or two on GAF having previously acknowledged they played through the initial demo. I suppose the storyline will be partly decent with Gen Urobuchi providing the original plan and scenario supervision according to an ANN article from May 2014.

Do you have to watch the anime for this game?
I don't really care much about watching anime...
Mandatory Happiness follows an original narrative set within the same time-span as the first season so it probably wouldn't hurt to watch that at a minimum level. However, being conveniently arranged around the start of the series, it probably will have a crash course introduction for the characters and setting for newcomers yet I should suspect the visual novel leans more toward previously established fans.

Worth noting that NISA did a limited edition with and without steam code for Disgaea PC so they might do one for this for those who want it on PC.

Then again they didn't bother with one for firefly diary on PC that releases later this month.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is this game different than the story in the first season?

Mesoian

it's a new story that takes place during the first season.

That's amazing me to me because the twist of the first season creates a scenario where you'd never actually want to go back to the way things were knowing what you know.

More detective stories about people who may or may not be unhinged doesn't seem like the draw if you're following the actual story.

I guess if you're super in love with the characters...

Barrykins

Neo Member
I tried to look online to find some gameplay but it's all been pretty vague. Does anyone know what type of game this is going to be? Is this going to be a visual novel or more of a traditional RPG?

BluWacky

I tried to look online to find some gameplay but it's all been pretty vague. Does anyone know what type of game this is going to be? Is this going to be a visual novel or more of a traditional RPG?

It's a VN - as per the Japanese website for the game, your choices can determine the course of investigation but that's as far as the interactivity goes, although there is an associated smartphone/SmartGlass app that lets you play silly minigames on it apparently.

AniHawk

That's amazing me to me because the twist of the first season creates a scenario where you'd never actually want to go back to the way things were knowing what you know.

More detective stories about people who may or may not be unhinged doesn't seem like the draw if you're following the actual story.

I guess if you're super in love with the characters...

well i feel like the story of the first season of the show is fairly self-contained. i haven't seen the movie or second season, but the movie sounds way more like how the first season should have been expounded on.

jonjonaug

People who have ordered from NISA before: Is there any reason I should buy the collectors edition off of their website, or should I just buy it off of Amazon with my Prime discount?

t26

People who have ordered from NISA before: Is there any reason I should buy the collectors edition off of their website, or should I just buy it off of Amazon with my Prime discount?

NISA's packing is a lot better than amazon.

cj_iwakura

Is it actually bad or are you one of those "Japanese voices only for Japanese games/anime, anything else is trash" types of people?

You must not watch my post history much, heh. I usually argue with those guys in defense of good dubs.

This isn't one of them. Some are decent, but the main character is really off. He just sounds whiny, in the JP he sounds appropriately detached.

AniHawk

You must not watch my post history much, heh. I usually argue with those guys in defense of good dubs.

This isn't one of them. Some are decent, but the main character is really off. He just sounds whiny, in the JP he sounds appropriately detached.

the main character is a woman

So in terms of writing quality, uh... does anyone know if this is more season one or season two?

I ask with the full knowledge that the Urobutcher isn't in the trenches for this one, which makes me gun-shy it'll be like most ideas he entrusts to other people who just don't seem to get what he did to make them memorable in the first place.

aaronwt

Will there be a digital version of this? I don't own any Disc based games with either system. So I'm not too keen on having to buy a DIsc. IF there is a digital version how much is it?
Although I see the Limited edition also has the soundtrack which I might like. And again I don't typically deal with CDs either. But I guess if the game is rated well then I might have to pick up my one and only DIsc based game for the current Gen :(.

Tohsaka

Will there be a digital version of this? I don't own any Disc based games with either system. So I'm not too keen on having to buy a DIsc. IF there is a digital version how much is it?
Although I see the Limited edition also has the soundtrack which I might like. And again I don't typically deal with CDs either. But I guess if the game is rated well then I might have to pick up my one and only DIsc based game for the current Gen :(.

Pretty much every PS4 and Vita game except Puyo Puyo Tetris has a digital version, so the chances of there being one for this game are like 99.9%.

Top Bottom