• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psycho Pass: Mandatory Happiness |OT| Visualize The System

jonjonaug

OK it looks like every end that's not a bad end is labeled a "True End". It looks like there's a total of
eight for Nadeshiko and six for Tsurugi
according to trophy lists. So far I've gotten half of Nadeshiko's then, I'm guessing the ending you get depends on a combination of plot flags and hues.

N° 2048

OK it looks like every end that's not a bad end is labeled a "True End". It looks like there's a total of
eight for Nadeshiko and six for Tsurugi
according to trophy lists. So far I've gotten half of Nadeshiko's then, I'm guessing the ending you get depends on a combination of plot flags and hues.

In spoiler tags, how long do you think all this will take you in hours?

jonjonaug

In spoiler tags, how long do you think all this will take you in hours?

No idea, as far as I know you can't track time played on the PS4. I think it took about 10-12 hours to get the first four endings that I did. But there's apparently also fairly lengthy bonus scenes with each character on each side that adds to replayability if you want to track all those down. Total game time will probably be anywhere between 20-35 hours depending on how much you want to do, with 20 hours being the "track down a few endings on each character" playtime and 35 hours being the "100%" playtime.

Personally I recommend clearing the game a couple of times just picking whatever choices you want to pick before tracking down a walkthrough. There's a fair amount of minor branches depending on the choices made and a ton of choices to make.

N° 2048

No idea, as far as I know you can't track time played on the PS4. I think it took about 10-12 hours to get the first four endings that I did. But there's apparently also fairly lengthy bonus scenes with each character on each side that adds to replayability if you want to track all those down. Total game time will probably be anywhere between 20-35 hours depending on how much you want to do, with 20 hours being the "track down a few endings on each character" playtime and 35 hours being the "100%" playtime.

Personally I recommend clearing the game a couple of times just picking whatever choices you want to pick before tracking down a walkthrough. There's a fair amount of minor branches depending on the choices made and a ton of choices to make.

Thanks so much :)

jonjonaug

Late game spoilers:
On what seems to be the "good" version of the "Nadeshiko regains her memories" route right now. I think I got onto this by having a darker hue and possibly also some more Takuma flags. Honestly I think I preferred the "normal" route more, simply because it's interesting to have a protagonist that fully agrees and cooperates with the Sibyl System out of her own sense of logic and duty, rather than a mix of practicality and wanting to fulfill her own goals since that's basically just Akane at the end of S1 again. I also got a scene with Makishima, probably from maxing out the hue before it snapped back to white after regaining Nadeshiko's memories.

EDIT: Got both endings on this route.
I ended up liking the what I guess I would consider the "good" ending more than I thought I would. It helps that Makishima showed up at the end and said a bunch of cool stuff, I'm pretty sure Makoto Fukami wrote that bit
. I'm using a walkthrough now for the remainder of Nadeshiko's stuff (last couple endings and individual scenes with the cast). The scene with Kagari is really heartwarming, Hikaru Sakurai did a good job with it.

EDIT2: So Nadeshiko's route appears to diverge into four versions of the final chapter
depending on whether or not she remembers her identity and the status of her hue when that does or does not happen. It might also depend on whether you've set flags with Takuma or not. It seems to go "Remember/Good route", "Remember/Normal route", "Don't remember/Inspector", "Don't remember/Enforcer". Each path has two endings

I wish they would do a digital release for something like this on XB1 in the US. The game has an XB1 port already and a translation already, just combine em :(

Shizuka

I wish they would do a digital release for something like this on XB1 in the US. The game has an XB1 port already and a translation already, just combine em :(

I wonder what AniHawk mentioned about MOQ. I know that that'd refrain NISA from doing a retail print, but what about a digital XB1 release?

AniHawk

I wonder what AniHawk mentioned about MOQ. I know that that'd refrain NISA from doing a retail print, but what about a digital XB1 release?

some companies also don't like it when releases aren't 100% comparable. microsoft probably still has their parity clause.

Sweet, there's an OT. I was wondering if anybody was playing this.

So far I've finished 2 chapters with Nadeshiko and one with Tsurugi. I'm enjoying this!

I've replayed chp 1 with Nadeshiko many times trying out almost every decision and
I couldn't save the two victims. It always ended with Haruto being blown to bits and the girl turning yellow. When I played the route with Tsurugi though, knowing exactly where the victims are going to be, etc, I actually manage to save both of them (Haruto paralyzed, and the girl's hue remaining blue)
I guess the character you play can affect the ending to the chapter as well. I'm planning on going through the game as both on my first playthrough.

hawk2025

Just started and finished chapter one.

That... escalated rather quickly. The setup of the world is rather intriguing.

N° 2048

Just started and finished chapter one.

That... escalated rather quickly. The setup of the world is rather intriguing.

I went into the anime blind
...yea holy shit it gets dark fast. Like
rape
dark.

But yea Season 1 is great. Binged it.

hawk2025

I felt like it set up the main setting and moral conflicts of the game pretty well.

Yeah, maybe a bit ham-fisted to go all-in on the consequences of the system right away, but it certainly hooked me.

RK128

Some personal thoughts on the game:
-I really enjoyed the main female character (Nadeshiko) as she was stoic but the reasoning for this made perfect sense. Learning about her memories and history with the AI (Apha) was great.
-Seeing the anime's cast represented well alongside the new original characters fitting into the Psycho-Pass world so well was impressive to me. Made the original story presented here all the more engaging.
-The first case took me by complete surprise and I felt horrible after completing it.
Both the victim & the criminal died :'().
Failing the second case was even more heartbreaking.
-The games world is dark, but that only adds to the overall story for me. Gives your choices/actions a lot of weight.

jonjonaug

I finished all of Nadeshiko's scenario last night (all endings and scenes with individual characters). This game's a lot better than I expected it to be. However after finishing it, I'd like to point out that the game really expects you to have watched season one of the anime first. There's a couple of plot twists in the back half that have more impact if you've watched the anime before, and the game spoils one late plot twist from season one.

Luckily, the entire first season is now available for free streaming on Crunchyroll, so there's no better time to pick it up if you haven't seen it already.

-The first case took me by complete surprise and I felt horrible after completing it.
Both the victim & the criminal died :'().
Failing the second case was even more heartbreaking.

That's strange,
no matter how many ways I did the first chapter I couldn't get a situation with THAT bad of a failure, I didn't think you could since Shiori shows up again in chapter 3
. Can you recount which choices led to that outcome?

SlickVic

Question I had regarding the visual novel presentation of the game. Saw some reviews go into this but curious what others who played the game thought. I know some video walkthroughs are up on Youtube, but trying to avoid getting into spoilers.

I understand you get to choose a character at the start of the game, but I was curious just how much choice you get in guiding the narrative. In other words, does it feel like you're role playing as the selected character by making a lot of choices to guide the story, or does it feel more like you're choosing the protagonist of the story, and mostly following them along for the ride (like a regular novel). I understand there are choices to make in the game and different endings to get, but I'm just curious how much it feels like you're playing as your character vs more simply observing their actions and making the occasional decision.

Also any huge differences between Vita and PS4 versions? Vita version looks like it's $10 cheaper.

RK128

I finished all of Nadeshiko's scenario last night (all endings and scenes with individual characters). This game's a lot better than I expected it to be. However after finishing it, I'd like to point out that the game really expects you to have watched season one of the anime first. There's a couple of plot twists in the back half that have more impact if you've watched the anime before, and the game spoils one late plot twist from season one.

Luckily, the entire first season is now available for free streaming on Crunchyroll, so there's no better time to pick it up if you haven't seen it already.

That's strange,
no matter how many ways I did the first chapter I couldn't get a situation with THAT bad of a failure, I didn't think you could since Shiori shows up again in chapter 3
. Can you recount which choices led to that outcome?

That was odd to me too, as
Shiori
appeared in Chapter 3 for me too. Either I'm remembering things wrong or my game bugged out here.....going to replay up to this point again later to confirm things.

But my choices I made were going to the wrong locations and taking far too long, making the situation even worse than it should have been. I learned from this first case, hoping to do a good job with the second one, but that too ended with failure.

jonjonaug

That was odd to me too, as
Shiori
appeared in Chapter 3 for me too. Either I'm remembering things wrong or my game bugged out here.....going to replay up to this point again later to confirm things.

But my choices I made were going to the wrong locations and taking far too long, making the situation even worse than it should have been. I learned from this first case, hoping to do a good job with the second one, but that too ended with failure.

Oh you might have been confused at the end there then.
Shiori is paralyzed, not killed. Her stalker freaking explodes, and I don't think there's a way to avoid that on Nadeshiko's route.

Question I had regarding the visual novel presentation of the game. Saw some reviews go into this but curious what others who played the game thought. I know some video walkthroughs are up on Youtube, but trying to avoid getting into spoilers.

I understand you get to choose a character at the start of the game, but I was curious just how much choice you get in guiding the narrative. In other words, does it feel like you're role playing as the selected character by making a lot of choices to guide the story, or does it feel more like you're choosing the protagonist of the story, and mostly following them along for the ride (like a regular novel). I understand there are choices to make in the game and different endings to get, but I'm just curious how much it feels like you're playing as your character vs more simply observing their actions and making the occasional decision.

Somewhere between column A and column B. There are a good deal of minor branches in each chapter, but the major beats of the plot are the same. However, how the main character thinks about and reacts to what's going on around them is different on each route. For example, there's four variations of the final chapter on Nadeshiko's route and all of them share a lot of common events, but the her motivations and the endings are different in all of them.

RK128

Also any huge differences between Vita and PS4 versions? Vita version looks like it's $10 cheaper.

I hope I explained this right in my review but the game has a 'set' story where you have three main cases to solve and a big 'final' one at the end of the game. You have the same case-set ups to go through regardless of your choices but how you get to the action part of a case is completely up to your choices.

Sometimes you are given direct options (like in the first one, you decide which place you are going to go when driving) but other times its more general (which team are you going to work with; the action team or the research team).

You have a set story but its a blend of direct and general choices that impact things.

Oh you might have been confused at the end there then.
Shiori is paralyzed, not killed. Her stalker freaking explodes, and I don't think there's a way to avoid that on Nadeshiko's route.

Oh, okay. I was confused then. Sorry about that XD! I guess the impact of that scene made me thing both died.

Briarios

Just FYI, if anyone wants a Crunchyroll guest pass to watch the anime, just let me know. It gives you 48 hours of premium access -- so, you can use the console apps to watch on your PS4 or whatever, no ads, and HD support.

Just PM me -- I have a couple.

Shizuka

Your choices make a difference in this game and the Vita version is great, I'd go with that if you want the cheapest option.

RK128

Your choices make a difference in this game and the Vita version is great, I'd go with that if you want the cheapest option.

I can agree with this wholeheartedly :). It runs very well on Vita, characters pop off the Vita screen and the menus/text are large enough to read with zero issues.

Shizuka

I can agree with this wholeheartedly :). It runs very well on Vita, characters pop off the Vita screen and the menus/text are large enough to read with zero issues.

I found the text to be a tad small for me, it was definitely not the ideal size for visual novels on the platform.

RK128

I found the text to be a tad small for me, it was definitely not the ideal size for visual novels on the platform.

I never had an issue with the text, but I can understand. Text should be large enough for everyone to read it and if its too small, it can cause issues reading it. I was playing on my OLED Vita, so maybe that is why the text never bothered me.

SlickVic

Thanks for the replies to my question. Think I'll pick up the Vita version soon. Something about handhelds and visual novels that really seem to go hand in hand. I really liked the first season of Psycho Pass despite falling off anime, so this sounds like it should be quite enjoyable.

jonjonaug

Cleared the first two of Takuma's endings.
The two where he becomes an Inspector. I liked the one where Yukari regained her memories and joined with Sibyl, but the one where he doesn't tell her anything made him look kinda like a huge dick.

I liked the few moments where Ginoza showed that he cared about the rest of Division 1. The bit where he lets something slide and Akane is dumbfounded by this was hilarious.

EDIT: 100% cleared the game. Takuma's route didn't have as many interesting bits as Kugatachi's, but at the one route where
he finds Alpha before anyone else does and comes to an agreement with him
was cool enough to make up for that, I think.

Also I took the time to go through most of the bad ends while playing and got a real kick out of
Akane killing me four times in the final playthrough

jonjonaug

I finished season one of the anime, as suggested.

This game isn't canon, is it?

The only way it could be canon is with like, maybe four or so out of the fourteen endings, but there's really only one ending that I think "works" for fitting into the main series. I think it would have to take place between episodes five and six.

But no, there's no reason to believe it's canon. It does do a good job in expanding the setting though, and considering Urobuchi and Fukami both worked on it we can probably take all of that as being accurate.

Avallon

How many chapters is it? I'm on chapter 3 and I just hit that spark of "Hey, this is actually pretty interesting. There's something to this."

I watched maybe 3 episodes of SG before i started the game and it felt like the right choice.

So with this game I'm supposed to see the whole first season before I start the game or what is the minimum amount of episodes that I should watch before I start playing to avoid spoilers?

Shizuka

How many chapters is it? I'm on chapter 3 and I just hit that spark of "Hey, this is actually pretty interesting. There's something to this."

You're almost at the end.

I watched maybe 3 episodes of SG before i started the game and it felt like the right choice.

So with this game I'm supposed to see the whole first season before I start the game or what is the minimum amount of episodes that I should watch before I start playing to avoid spoilers?

Whole first season.

Top Bottom