• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psycho Pass: Mandatory Happiness |OT| Visualize The System

EmbersToAshes

Neo Member
I've been enjoying the visual novel itself - it's not the best I've played, but for a licensed work it's pretty enjoyable. Not sure I agree with the decision to have each character's multiple endings be nigh-on a requirement to understand the conclusion - the first true ending I received was utterly incoherent, with
the team flying away from the island and Nadeshiko suddenly getting offed in alley for no apparent reason.
Of course, it's beginning to make sense the more endings I see, but I'd imagine for somebody new to visual novels this would be incredibly offputting.

Also, fuck this game's approach to unlocking art and sound. I tend to platinum most visual novels, because it's typically a lot of fun finding all the possible routes, and there's rarely much more to it (unless we're talking Danganronpa, but school mode was pretty decent). Playing 2048 for 30 hours however is just ridiculous. Who thought that would be an engaging side-game, really? I enjoyed it for maybe an hour and then realised I'd need over a million credits to unlock everything. Just no.

jonjonaug

I've been enjoying the visual novel itself - it's not the best I've played, but for a licensed work it's pretty enjoyable. Not sure I agree with the decision to have each character's multiple endings be nigh-on a requirement to understand the conclusion - the first true ending I received was utterly incoherent, with
the team flying away from the island and Nadeshiko suddenly getting offed in alley for no apparent reason.
Of course, it's beginning to make sense the more endings I see, but I'd imagine for somebody new to visual novels this would be incredibly offputting.

Yeah, that's the "you didn't set up any of the endings, so here's the non-ending" ending. Tsurugi has one of those too, but it's not quite as "wait, what?".

As for the 2048 game, I didn't mind that much since I had a lot of fun with it and by the time I hit my skill ceiling I had enough credits to unlock almost everything. I only had to play in free mode for about half an hour after that to get the Platinum trophy.

EmbersToAshes

Neo Member
Yeah, that's the "you didn't set up any of the endings, so here's the non-ending" ending. Tsurugi has one of those too, but it's not quite as "wait, what?".

As for the 2048 game, I didn't mind that much since I had a lot of fun with it and by the time I hit my skill ceiling I had enough credits to unlock almost everything. I only had to play in free mode for about half an hour after that to get the Platinum trophy.

It's quite possible I just suck at 2048. I got to stage six before I peaked, and i'm miles short of what I need for all the unlocks. It just felt like an odd choice to lock added content behind, and by extension the Platinum, given its tangential link to the game and visual novels in general. I can't imagine the crossover between 2048 players and visual novel players is recognisably large.

I don't have a problem with that ending, per se, just the affect it must have on players new to the genre. Revealing the true ending across multiple endings is cool, as long as each individual ending makes sense. This one just came absolutely out of the blue, and was nothing short of random.

Avallon

After you beat the game is there some sort of tree diagram to help find missing content, à la Zero Escape?

N° 2048

Just finished it, it was really good...not amazing but good. Just when it felt meh, there was something that reeled me back in. I did have to go back a load previous saves to see the different outcomes. I do wish there was a bit more animation going on, this was one of the few VNs I've read so I'm not sure how common it is but some parts really felt like they needed more going on visually.

I got the
True Ending/Happy Family Trophy
ending were Nadeshiko
saves Alpha, tells Tsuguri that I am actually Yukari (he then proposes to me, I accept) and then we escape with Alpha via the help of Shogo. The final scene is us at the dinner table having breakfast.

I really liked the ending I got.

Loved the game. It's just weird since I feel like I spoiled myself by watching Season 1 before playing. Yet at the same time, if I did not watch it. I would have spoiled the whole of Season 1.

Dunan

My limited edition finally arrived and I've been playing it a bit. Had no idea that it was ever an anime!

I bought the official Japanese art/material book and it's amazing. Plenty of backstory on the characters, the future history of Japan, etc. -- I never would have guessed that Japan has completely closed itself off from the world now that total food self-sufficiency is a reality!

I chose Nadeshiko at the beginning and made some semi-arbitrary choices (except for not ever taking any supplements), and got a "BAD END". No real idea what I should have done differently, as I was mostly praised for my choices. How does this work? Different choices during the story segments lead to different endings? Or do I have to choose Takuma this time to see his story?

jonjonaug

My limited edition finally arrived and I've been playing it a bit. Had no idea that it was ever an anime!

I bought the official Japanese art/material book and it's amazing. Plenty of backstory on the characters, the future history of Japan, etc. -- I never would have guessed that Japan has completely closed itself off from the world now that total food self-sufficiency is a reality!

I chose Nadeshiko at the beginning and made some semi-arbitrary choices (except for not ever taking any supplements), and got a "BAD END". No real idea what I should have done differently, as I was mostly praised for my choices. How does this work? Different choices during the story segments lead to different endings? Or do I have to choose Takuma this time to see his story?

BAD END scenarios are almost always instant game overs from a single choice, try reloading at the last choice and remember to always save before making a choice if you're not playing with a guide.

Well I just got one ending
(true ending with Taku-chan)
and boy am I disappointed.
I really wanted it to be good or at least interesting but it failed hard to reach one of those goals. I really liked the anime and I thought I'd see some fucked up stuff in this game but it's like they were too afraid to take some risk (well I knew when I saw the PEGI 12). It's very linear and almost no surprise/nice twist.
I'll play to see the other ending because I kind of like the (anime) characters but my hype was brutally crushed :'(

Maybe someone can encourage me ? Is there any good stuff in the rest of the game or is it more of the same ?

jonjonaug

Well I just got one ending
(true ending with Taku-chan)
and boy am I disappointed.
I really wanted it to be good or at least interesting but it failed hard to reach one of those goals. I really liked the anime and I thought I'd see some fucked up stuff in this game but it's like they were too afraid to take some risk (well I knew when I saw the PEGI 12). It's very linear and almost no surprise/nice twist.
I'll play to see the other ending because I kind of like the (anime) characters but my hype was brutally crushed :'(

Maybe someone can encourage me ? Is there any good stuff in the rest of the game or is it more of the same ?

I'd say one of Tsurugi's and half of Nadeshiko's are interesting endings, but all proper ends are called "true" ends so I have no idea which one you got.

I'd say one of Tsurugi's and half of Nadeshiko's are interesting endings, but all proper ends are called "true" ends so I have no idea which one you got.

Oh... ok I didn't know that. Well I got the ending
where I choose to kill Alpha (it was either me or Nadeshiko)

jonjonaug

Oh... ok I didn't know that. Well I got the ending
where I choose to kill Alpha (it was either me or Nadeshiko)

There's a couple of those with Tsurugi and they're all pretty boring. Any ending where Nadeshiko doesn't regain her memories before the very end or at all is also usually pretty dull.

Avallon

Help! I finished the walkthrough and I am missing scenes.

Please tell me what file 19, 35, 38, and 64 are!

Any tips on how to get them would be appreciated as well.

I don't know how I missed them :(

jonjonaug

Help! I finished the walkthrough and I am missing scenes.

Please tell me what file 19, 35, 38, and 64 are!

Any tips on how to get them would be appreciated as well.

I don't know how I missed them :(

19: Nadeshiko scene with Yayoi
35: Nadeshiko scene with Kogami
38: Nadeshiko scene with Masaoka
64: I'm not entirely sure which route this one's on, but it's a scene where Tsurugi and Nadeshiko are investigating Tsurugi's old residence and you have the option to check out either Tsurugi's or Yukari's homes. You need to pick Tsurugi's.

Avallon

19: Nadeshiko scene with Yayoi
35: Nadeshiko scene with Kogami
38: Nadeshiko scene with Masaoka
64: I'm not entirely sure which route this one's on, but it's a scene where Tsurugi and Nadeshiko are investigating Tsurugi's old residence and you have the option to check out either Tsurugi's or Yukari's homes. You need to pick Tsurugi's.

Thank you.

I used this guide: https://www.trueachievements.com/Psycho-Pass-Mandatory-Happiness/walkthrough.htm?page=3

Any idea where to start looking for these scenes? The guide doesn't exactly go into detail :\

jonjonaug

Avallon

19, 35, and 38 all start from the 光と影 achievement and the next two achievements after that, so CTRL+F "光と影" and scroll up a bit.

For 64, try this guide and search for "Stop by Tsurugi's residence".

<3

How far do I need to scroll up? This damn guide is so vague.

Firestar

Just got the
happy family
ending, only managed to run into one bad ending before getting here. It was pretty good, I'm not sure if I feel like going back and doing a bunch of the other routes though. Did I get the main part of the story or is there a lot of new stuff in Tsurugi's route?

jonjonaug

Just got the
happy family
ending, only managed to run into one bad ending before getting here. It was pretty good, I'm not sure if I feel like going back and doing a bunch of the other routes though. Did I get the main part of the story or is there a lot of new stuff in Tsurugi's route?

Tsurugi's route has a lot of new scenes and dialogue but when you get right down to it it's the same story from a different perspective. There's one ending in Tsurugui's route though that's totally different from anything else in the game.

Firestar

Tsurugi's route has a lot of new scenes and dialogue but when you get right down to it it's the same story from a different perspective. There's one ending in Tsurugui's route though that's totally different from anything else in the game.

Thanks, maybe I'll just follow one of those walkthroughs and do it quickly then

Dee Dee

Also, fuck this game's approach to unlocking art and sound. I tend to platinum most visual novels, because it's typically a lot of fun finding all the possible routes, and there's rarely much more to it (unless we're talking Danganronpa, but school mode was pretty decent). Playing 2048 for 30 hours however is just ridiculous. Who thought that would be an engaging side-game, really? I enjoyed it for maybe an hour and then realised I'd need over a million credits to unlock everything. Just no.

I just got my first ending, same as you did, also miffed about unlocking concept art of CGs through the mini game. There is no list of the full CGs to see them again, or is that the "scene" thing? (I thought that means I'll replay the scene, so didn't click it)
And I can't listen to phone calls again? The voice thing seems to be different random voice clips.

I don't like Mr "Let me explain the plot to the player repeatedly while feigning ignorance myself" Tsurugi, but he has definitely more fun interactions with the cast. Let's see where his route takes me.

cireza

Banned
Currently playing the game on Vita. Only at the beginning. The story and background don't feel very original yet, but I guess it needs more time to pick up.

However, on Vita, I find the text too small, and also a bit blurry. And I am someone with a great sight, no glasses. And I can feel that reading through text like this for a long time is going to be a big strain for my eyes.

Steins Gate had this perfectly right, not wasting space, no blur at the edges of the letters, big letters etc... Very sad that it is not the case here.

Any ideas or solutions to make it better ?

cireza

Banned
I completed the game, but did not like it overall. I did not like the writing, it felt too academic and emotionless.

The characters also lack personality. They are too caricatural, and I was not able to really like any of them.

Finally, the "bad guy" of the story did not feel credible at all, and his motivations were also incredibly caricatural. I could guess what it would come to way too soon.

I am happy that I gave another VN a chance, but in the end I was disappointed by this game.

Does this game have voiced dialogue and a dialogue log in which I can listen to the lines again (like in Danganronpa and Steins;Gate? (I'm trying to learn Japanese ;)

Edit:and the same question for Root Letter.

jonjonaug

Does this game have voiced dialogue and a dialogue log in which I can listen to the lines again (like in Danganronpa and Steins;Gate? (I'm trying to learn Japanese ;)

Edit:and the same question for Root Letter.

Yes.

EDIT: Actually, not sure if you can listen to the lines a second time, but there is a backlog.

Rymuth

I'm on case 3 and I'm really digging it. The cases are very reminiscent of the show.

One thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is that Kogami has the least amount of voice work...I guess Tomokazu Seki's salary was so huge, they had to limit the amount of lines Kogami's getting.

PantsuJo

Important news for Steam users:

NIS America has opened applications to beta test the Steam PC version of Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness

You can apply here: https://docs.google.com/a/gematsu.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdlfvTFTmCvIeTmy6wetzw9iajZDKuN8X2j6PAC61zx--s3Dw/viewform?c=0&w=1

NrACQk1.jpg

Top Bottom