• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychologists find some interesting results about which gamers are the most aggressive (they all post on GAF)

Bryank75

Banned

Professional psychologists utilizing the Buss Perry Aggression Questionnaire have conducted a study on aggressiveness in gamers, with some interesting results.

The study was conducted using 964 gamers, who were asked to select three games they enjoy playing the most in order of preference and what system they use to play said games on. They were then asked to complete the Buss Perry Aggression Questionnaire, which is a 29 question survey that uses a 5-point Likert scale. The test is meant to gauge the level of aggression in individuals based on how they respond to each question. One's Physical Aggression, Verbal Aggression, Anger, and Hostility are all meant to be measured with the Buss Perry Aggression Questionnaire.

According to the study, Xbox gamers are the most aggressive gamers, outranking PlayStation gamers surveyed in all four of the categories. Researchers also found that male gamers were 20% more aggressive than female gamers, and that certain games were associated with more aggression than others. Interestingly, those that played games for 20-30 hours per week were found to be less aggressive than those who played for 11-20 hours per week. Aggression levels were even lower in participants that played video games less than 11 hours per week.

Call of Duty gamers were found to be the most aggressive, along with those that play games like Battlefield and FIFA. Since all three of these games have an extreme focus on competitive multiplayer, this should come as no surprise. Human beings tend to become aggressive when actively competing with one another, whether it be through video games, sports, or anything else, so it makes sense that gamers playing those titles would be more aggressive.

However, even a game without a competitive focus still had some aggressive players. According to the study, Animal Crossing: New Horizons actually had more physically aggressive gamers playing it than those playing Grand Theft Auto 5. This seems to suggest that the level of violence in any given video game isn't necessarily what causes anyone to be more or less aggressive. Unfortunately, more detailed analysis of how Animal Crossing: New Horizons players answered the survey is unavailable.

Over the years, there have been many studies about aggression and its potential link to video games. Past studies have shown that there is not necessarily a link between aggression and video game violence. However, the argument could be made that aggression from video games comes more from the competitive aspect of them, not so much their level of violence. It's clear that more research will need to be done into the matter before anyone can reach a definitive conclusion. It would also be interesting to see studies on the subject done about some of the newer ways to play games, like virtual reality headsets, that are designed to make players more immersed than was ever possible before.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
The interesting part is then that some AC players are playing the game as a competitive one. The thirst for Raymond and Nook Miles becomes all-encompassing within these individuals, driving them into a state of psychotic mania wherein they'd abuse their fellow countrymen due to their own perceived shortcomings within the seemingly saccharine environs of Animal Crossing. Where does this mania end? I don't know for certain, but I suspect disaster is in the making.

Bryank75

Banned
The interesting part is then that some AC players are playing the game as a competitive one. The thirst for Raymond and Nook Miles becomes all-encompassing within these individuals, driving them into a state of psychotic mania wherein they'd abuse their fellow countrymen due to their own perceived shortcomings within the seemingly saccharine environs of Animal Crossing. Where does this mania end? I don't know for certain, but I suspect disaster is in the making.
I fear to touch that game or meet the people that do.... contorted by murderous rage.

JSoup

Banned
Bullshit study. Arcade gamers will beat you up in real life.

Interestingly, if you look into the aging arcade gamers, most of them are know it all assholes, ala Billy Mitchell.
There's a reason why a lot of the retro communities consider old arcade folk to be the saddest mother fuckers in gaming.

New Horizons actually had more physically aggressive gamers playing it than those playing Grand Theft Auto 5

That is too good.

On a serious note, stupid study due to sample size and likely lack of variety in demographics or geodiversity etc.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Interestingly, if you look into the aging arcade gamers, most of them are know it all assholes, ala Billy Mitchell.
There's a reason why a lot of the retro communities consider old arcade folk to be the BADDEST mother fuckers in gaming.

FTFY

thelastword

Banned
Aggression breeds aggression......It's why I don't engage with aggressive posters, because if you are losing your marbles over video games or video game discussion, it speaks to more deep-rooted issues with that person's psychological balance and general rationale. Games are meant to release stress and not increase it.....If the person is too aggressive I'm inclined to believe they play less and just like to argue online for ego massages. When they are deprived of such, they lose it, because their foundation of existence is proven to be circumstantial based on that dependency.....

Just cue some folks who suddenly start getting less likes or where more people oppose their opinions and arguments, they will begin to stain the white sheets faster than a canary will sing.......Play more, keep it cool.

Nickolaidas

Banned

Professional psychologists utilizing the Buss Perry Aggression Questionnaire have conducted a study on aggressiveness in gamers, with some interesting results.

The study was conducted using 964 gamers, who were asked to select three games they enjoy playing the most in order of preference and what system they use to play said games on. They were then asked to complete the Buss Perry Aggression Questionnaire, which is a 29 question survey that uses a 5-point Likert scale. The test is meant to gauge the level of aggression in individuals based on how they respond to each question. One's Physical Aggression, Verbal Aggression, Anger, and Hostility are all meant to be measured with the Buss Perry Aggression Questionnaire.

According to the study, Xbox gamers are the most aggressive gamers, outranking PlayStation gamers surveyed in all four of the categories. Researchers also found that male gamers were 20% more aggressive than female gamers, and that certain games were associated with more aggression than others. Interestingly, those that played games for 20-30 hours per week were found to be less aggressive than those who played for 11-20 hours per week. Aggression levels were even lower in participants that played video games less than 11 hours per week.

Call of Duty gamers were found to be the most aggressive, along with those that play games like Battlefield and FIFA. Since all three of these games have an extreme focus on competitive multiplayer, this should come as no surprise. Human beings tend to become aggressive when actively competing with one another, whether it be through video games, sports, or anything else, so it makes sense that gamers playing those titles would be more aggressive.

However, even a game without a competitive focus still had some aggressive players. According to the study, Animal Crossing: New Horizons actually had more physically aggressive gamers playing it than those playing Grand Theft Auto 5. This seems to suggest that the level of violence in any given video game isn't necessarily what causes anyone to be more or less aggressive. Unfortunately, more detailed analysis of how Animal Crossing: New Horizons players answered the survey is unavailable.

Over the years, there have been many studies about aggression and its potential link to video games. Past studies have shown that there is not necessarily a link between aggression and video game violence. However, the argument could be made that aggression from video games comes more from the competitive aspect of them, not so much their level of violence. It's clear that more research will need to be done into the matter before anyone can reach a definitive conclusion. It would also be interesting to see studies on the subject done about some of the newer ways to play games, like virtual reality headsets, that are designed to make players more immersed than was ever possible before.

Thank God they didn't interview the Mortal Kombat fanbase. One guy once said to me that what he wants is to fight people competitively in MK and 'make their heads come out of their assholes'. Guy was also working out a lot, having a body like our dear recently departed Gamernyc. I swear some people have some serious issues.

And that survey is ass. Both Xbox and PS gamers are the same. There isn't anything special in someone's DNA or the X-Box architecture that causes more aggression and frustration.

I mean, if there is an article that says 'PS gamers are the worst in bed', would you give the article any credence?

It's all bullshit.

Bryank75

Banned
Aggression breeds aggression......It's why I don't engage with aggressive posters, because if you are losing your marbles over video games or video game discussion, it speaks to more deep-rooted issues with that person's psychological balance and general rationale. Games are meant to release stress and not increase it.....If the person is too aggressive I'm inclined to believe they play less and just like to argue online for ego massages. When they are deprived of such, they lose it, because their foundation of existence is proven to be circumstantial based on that dependency.....

Just cue some folks who suddenly start getting less likes or where more people oppose their opinions and arguments, they will begin to stain the white sheets faster than a canary will sing.......Play more, keep it cool.
I'm so glad that I never lose my cool.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm so glad that I never lose my cool.
I'm a shame to say that I have lost my cool several times....

No NieR Replicant HD
200.gif

Last edited:
964 people? That’s literally all the sample size they could get out of the millions of people who game? I swear science studies are becoming a joke. This study shows nothing other than what 964 people’s aggressive levels may possibly be and that’s assuming they answered accurately. Trying to categorise those results to show a trend is a laugh.

Last edited:

Chiggs

I believe it.

Really.

Last edited:
There's a reason why a lot of the retro communities consider old arcade folk to be the saddest mother fuckers in gaming.

you get old, you get cranky

there's only so much BS one can tolerate in a lifetime

Texas Pride

Banned
True victory is beating your opponent so completely they realise the mistake of opposing you to begin with. Winning isn't enough.

Some gamers who play competitively or multiplayer games are probably more aggressive than gamers who play single player games. Competition of all types usually creates tension or aggression. Playing fighting games online can also bring emotions to people they never knew they had. I’ve seen some scary, violent stuff in Fortnite streams as well, that made fighting games streams look like jokes.

Last edited:
Where did you get that number from?

They asked close to 1000 gamers, divided into 5 subgroups (Xbox, PS4, PC, NSW, Mobile). I assumed they divided them up equally, so 200 people per gaming device. A sample size of 200 translates to around 6% MOE.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Xbox and Playstation are dead for me now since their game are heading to PC:messenger_grinning_squinting:

Feel free if xboxers and psers want to fight each other to the death

Its fun wathing them

Long live Nintendo:messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

FeiRR

Banned
They asked close to 1000 gamers, divided into 5 subgroups (Xbox, PS4, PC, NSW, Mobile). I assumed they divided them up equally, so 200 people per gaming device. A sample size of 200 translates to around 6% MOE.
Okay, you're right. Then that's hardly a scientific study.

Intoxicate

That study is turning around the cause. It's written like games make aggressive, there's no evidence given that the participant anyway are aggressive and also the most aggressive tend to pick up an XBox.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Competitive = aggression?

If my BA in applied psychology is worth anything...I'd put this study on the Likert scale where 0 is bullshit and 5 is bullshit.

So what about those who play Xbox, Playstation and PC. What are we? Some kinda psychopath?

Top Bottom