• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 100% funded. Thank you video posted.

Salsa

4tMSRJE.png

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/psychonauts-2

Oz0dBHf.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7i2yfqp8pc

tumblr_m601nbUlbQ1rwodu8o1_400.gif

yessir

Huzzah, Psychonauts is the only Double Fine game that I don't think is terrible so I hope this is as charming and inventive as the first game.

xHiryu

Idk if Fig is any different than Kickstarter aside from this "investor" thing that I'm highly skeptical of. Are there any stretch goals?

wwm0nkey

Idk if Fig is any different than Kickstarter aside from this "investor" thing that I'm highly skeptical of. Are there any stretch goals?

Seems like extra money just goes into polishing and making it better. Which is good because I got kind of tired of strech goals

El Aleph

Banned
As I said in the other thread, what's great is that this got funded with 5 days to spare, so Tim's detractors can never claim that this wouldn't have gotten funded without the "extension" early in the campaign, because that "extension" only added 4 to 5 days to the total.

Wasn't backing closed from just anyone donating or something? I remember wanting to put money towards this but couldn't because there were restrictions or something.

Anyway, I'm so happy. Loved Psychonauts and I know expectations for this are gonna be high. Hope they can deliver.

Lijik

I wish I had money I couldve used on this during the campaign but Im so glad it got funded. The first is one of my favorite games of all time.

El Aleph

Banned
Wasn't backing closed from just anyone donating or something? I remember wanting to put money towards this but couldn't because there were restrictions or something.

That was only for potential investors. I think they've reached their cap on investors anyway. You can still back it for normal rewards if you want.

Megatron

Glad it got funded. I couldn't support it because of the console tax, but now I will get a chance to play it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i stopped playing the original when i was i got stuck in some kind of city .. i remember me being a huge monster.

was i close to the ending?

i stopped playing the original when i was i got stuck in some kind of city .. i remember me being a huge monster.

I think there were still a fair number of levels after that one. That's not the best level though if I remember right.

It's funny for the Japanese giant monster movie references, but I seem to remember you moving slower and it being kinda clunky to play through.

Lijik

but I seem to remember you moving slower and it being kinda clunky to play through.

a lot of platformers of that era had weird slow "destroy everything!" moments. i guess because the giant clank sections in Ratchet were cool, but nothing else came close to being as fun.

Fitts

Holy shit it's really happening... a sequel to my favorite 3D platformer of all time. So amazingly unexpected!

roytheone

Good, now I can pledge through PayPal! I don't like it to make a PayPal pledge for a project that is not yet fully funded.

Blues1990

tim3.jpg

Tim-Schafer-xerox-640x360.jpg

schafermoney2610.jpg

Tim_Schafer_Money_7.jpg

I'm glad that this got funded, as I couldn't chip in, due to tight funds and lack of income coming in. I can't wait to see what other kinds of messed up mental landscapes Raz & co. will be traversing in the sequel.

PSqueak

Banned

There are about 5 levels more after that one.

Including the most memorable one (Milkman Conspiracy).

You missed most of the really inventive levels in that game. I loved it before The Milkman Consipracy, but playing that level and the Waterloo level elevated it to even greater heights.

Zach

Didn't back it even though Psychonauts is one of my favorite games ever. I plan to buy the crap out of a physical PS4 release, though.

(Or I'll buy it digitally if I have to. D:)

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Im sceptical about their ability to follow through on this project. Broken Age was massively overfunded if you look at the initial target sum, yet they still ran into pretty big problems during development, asking for additional funds. The finished game wasnt very long either, and act 2 was very half-assed, with a lot of recycling and padding going on. I mean, if this is the game that 3,5 million dollars bought, what the hell would that initial 400 000 dollar target have given us?

Couple that with the Spacebase df 9 disaster, and I have serious worries that this game is eventually going to get stuck in development hell, or be extremely bare bones when it releases. I get the feeling that they were hoping (maybe even assuming) to massively overshoot their initial funding target for this project given their history with KS, giving them enough leeway to actually deliver on the game. That didnt happen, and I suppose we are about to find out what kind of game they can actually deliver when they dont get overfunded and dont have the breathing room that they have grown accustomed to.

El Aleph

Banned
Im sceptical about their ability to follow through on this project. Broken Age was massively overfunded if you look at the initial target sum, yet they still ran into pretty big problems during development, asking for additional funds. The finished product itself wasnt very long either, and the recently released act 2 is very half-assed, with a lot of recycling and padding going on. I mean, if this is the game that 3,5 million dollars bought, what the hell would that initial 400 000 dollar target have given us?

...Did you do any research on the Double Fine Adventure campaign? If you had, you'd know that their initial plans were for a much smaller and less ambitious game.

Im sceptical about their ability to follow through on this project. Broken Age was massively overfunded if you look at the initial target sum, yet they still ran into pretty big problems during development, asking for additional funds. The finished product itself wasnt very long either, and the recently released act 2 is very half-assed, with a lot of recycling and padding going on. I mean, if this is the game that 3,5 million dollars bought, what the hell would that initial 400 000 dollar target have given us?

Couple that with the Spacebase df 9 disaster, and I have serious worries that this game is eventually going to get stuck in development hell, or be extremely bare bones when it releases. I get the feeling that they were hoping (maybe even assuming) to massively overshoot their initial funding target for this project given their history with KS, giving them enough leeway to actually deliver on the game. That didnt happen, and I suppose we are about to find out what kind of game they can actually deliver when they dont get overfunded and dont have the breathing room that they are used to.

Scale changes with that amount of money coming in. They would have planned for a smaller project if they only barely exceeded $400k.

Het_Nkik

Im sceptical about their ability to follow through on this project. Broken Age was massively overfunded if you look at the initial target sum, yet they still ran into pretty big problems during development, asking for additional funds. The finished product itself wasnt very long either, and act 2 was very half-assed, with a lot of recycling and padding going on. I mean, if this is the game that 3,5 million dollars bought, what the hell would that initial 400 000 dollar target have given us?

Couple that with the Spacebase df 9 disaster, and I have serious worries that this game is eventually going to get stuck in development hell, or be extremely bare bones when it releases. I get the feeling that they were hoping (maybe even assuming) to massively overshoot their initial funding target for this project given their history with KS, giving them enough leeway to actually deliver on the game. That didnt happen, and I suppose we are about to find out what kind of game they can actually deliver when they dont get overfunded and dont have the breathing room that they are used to.

You talk as if all the money is coming from crowdfunding on this project.

body_width.jpeg

Yes, we do need more than that, as we've previously said we need to raise at least the same amount that went into making the original Psychonauts, which had a budget in the $10-13.5m range. In order to do that, we need to gather money from multiple sources.

Double Fine will be putting up a significant portion of the development funds ourselves, and getting another piece of the budget from an external partner. This Fig campaign will make up the third piece of the budget. None of these three parts on their own is enough, but together they add up to a sequel worthy of Psychonauts!

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
...Did you do any research on the Double Fine Adventure campaign? If you had, you'd know that their initial plans were for a much smaller and less ambitious game.

But Broken age is already pretty small, and not that ambitious in point and click standards. I mean you can always say " just imagine it smaller!", but what does that mean when the released product with 9x the budget of the original pitch itself turned out very modest?

My fear is that they simply didnt do a very good job with the planning and development of Broken Age and overpromised with their initial pitch. The additional money saved their asses that time, and they just assumed that they will get the same leeway this time.

Top Bottom