• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 Announced (Crowdfunding on Fig, PC/PS4/XB1, UE4, $3.3M goal--funded!)

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Gravity Falls is amazing for me. Alex being involved anything videogames is just great for me.

El Aleph

Banned
Oh god, I can't stand Gravity Falls and Hirsch has a chance of being involved? Not dissing the guy, but I don't think he should be involved in P2.

I... fuck. I hate when projects I went OMG over become conflicting to me.

Nothing's been confirmed yet. It's just a suggestion some people made on Twitter. Do you really hate Gravity Falls that much? I don't think it's that far removed from Psychonauts in its style or tone, and the camp connection is obvious. It's a fun cartoon with some occult and supernatural overtones. I wonder how different it would be if it were on Adult Swim instead of Disney.

I like Hirsch a lot but I don't think Psychonauts needs him. Maybe if Wolpaw wasn't coming back, but he is. Tim and Erik did a great job last time, and Tim seems extremely jealous of his writing role. He's always finding a way to mention the writing in the game, for which you can't really fault him. So, for better or worse, I think he's too proud to let a third writer come in.

But they might collaborate on a different project. Or I might just be wrong. I'm curious to see what Hirsch does next.

El Aleph

Banned
I like Hirsch a lot but I don't think Psychonauts needs him. Maybe if Wolpaw wasn't coming back, but he is. Tim and Erik did a great job last time, and Tim seems extremely jealous of his writing role. He's always finding a way to mention the writing in the game, for which you can't really fault him. So, for better or worse, I think he's too proud to let a third writer come in.

But they might collaborate on a different project. Or I might just be wrong. I'm curious to see what Hirsch does next.

There's always that Psychonauts VR project. I think Wolpaw is just collaborating on Psychonauts 2.

Hirsch's involvement would help boost the profile of the VR game, which would in turn give the PlayStation VR a boost, since it's an exclusive. Since Sony is providing funds for the game, they could pay Alex a decent salary as well, given that it would benefit them to get him involved.

There's always that Psychonauts VR project. I think Wolpaw is just collaborating on Psychonauts 2.

Hirsch's involvement would help boost the profile of the VR game, which would in turn give the PlayStation VR a boost, since it's an exclusive. Since Sony is providing funds for the game, they could pay Alex a decent salary as well, given that it would benefit them to get him involved.

That's a really good point! I have to admit that Rhombus of Ruin is only a blip on my radar since VR makes me queasy, but I'll be following it more closely when it's nearer to completion.

PaulloDEC

Oh god, I can't stand Gravity Falls and Hirsch has a chance of being involved? Not dissing the guy, but I don't think he should be involved in P2.

Wait, you can't stand Gravity Falls?

Man, there really is every possible opinion somewhere out there on the internet.

Village

Gravity falls is great, and considering the tone and setting might be literally a perfect match.

If you dont like it that's fine, but even you have to see one fits with the other.

El Aleph

Banned
Anyone else wonder if that bump in funding yesterday was related to Alex Hirsch's tweet? Even if it wasn't Alex himself, maybe a wealthy follower of his saw the responses and decided to pitch in some money to help the campaign. It's highly coincidental how the bump occurred shortly after Alex made his tweet.

Fireblend

Banned
Hirsch writing a video game would be enough for me to fund it if he decides to go the crowdfunding way. I better get my wallet ready...

Everyone who has the first game on Steam, remember to go buy something in-game in the Whispering Rock camp store tomorrow, if you have time: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/psychonauts-2?update=35#updates ;)

We want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year! But also....

The current PSI Cadet mission is to convince your friends and family to play Psychonauts to the end of Basic Braining, to try and boost the achievement numbers to above 50% on Steam. This is a hard challenge we know you are doing your best to achieve.

However! We thought we'd give you a Festive side quest that will help boost those numbers. There is another achievement currently only 2.2% of players have....

Christmas Shopping - Buy something from the Whispering Rock camp store on Christmas Day.

That's tomorrow you guys!

We'll add the % from both quests together, let's see if we can get them above 50% - it will be pretty hard, we'll all need to pull together! Surely we can make it higher!

Good luck cadets, and have a fabulous Christmas!

This announcement got me finally install and play through my GOG copy of the game. Just beat the game 100% yesterday.

I had something funny happen during the final platforming sequence. There is a twisted ladder and I assume you are suppose to climb it, but I ended up sliding down the ladder the entire time, even when the ladder goes up.

I hope this makes it's goal. I want see what can be one in a sequel.

Ultimadrago

This announcement got me finally install and play through my GOG copy of the game. Just beat the game 100% yesterday.

I had something funny happen during the final platforming sequence. There is a twisted ladder and I assume you are suppose to climb it, but I ended up sliding down the ladder the entire time, even when the ladder goes up.

I'm pretty sure it's designed to slide through the whole thing no matter which way the ladder turns. Gotta go as fast as you can to beat the
watery death of a clock
!

Anyways, awesome that the announcement made you get through the game! I imagine there's quite a few Gaffers with unplayed copies sitting about.

Ultimadrago

Don't forget to get your Christmas Shopping Steam achievement today, peeps~

Achievement total between Basic Braining and Christmas Shopping is 49.2 percent, just need a bit over .8 more from either to unlock some goods.

El Aleph

Banned
By the way, how many people here have watched Mystery Kids? It's a fan-made crossover featuring characters from Psychonauts, Gravity Falls, Coraline, ParaNorman, and others:

https://youtu.be/zgAwamjVtzQ

I realize they probably didn't color it because of time/budget constraints, but the art style is pretty cool by the standards of fan productions. It has a Westernized manga feel to it and does a good job of assimilating the characters from different series:

tumblr_mv34kqtO091sazryro1_400.gif

tumblr_mzg6trdI8i1s0yg6mo1_500.jpg

tumblr_nsw6frfwHG1uy9tdlo1_500.png

Ultimadrago

I just threw in for the physical, so now it's 3 million and 84 smackers.

Nice! *high five*

What are you talking about. fig achievements?

missionsuusie.png
ranksfyuc4.png

Double Fine has set certain "goals" that will unlock video and certain stretch goal content for the game. One of them is to have the achievement for amount of players that have completed the first stage, "Basic Braining", be over 50% on Steam.

As a Christmas special they were adding Christmas Shopping to the accumulation for the goal.

JSoup

Banned
Is Basic Braining the achievement you get for beating the tutorial area? I'm way past that point and don't have it =/

Was your file created before there were achievements added to the game? Files created before that point only have the PSI Rank achievements unlocked at boot, everything else has to be done by hand.

Looks like this is rocketing towards the finish line! Amazing to see. I think they'll comfortably finish over 3.5 million when all is said and done. With 15 days to go they might even hit 4 million. Fig actually turned out to be quite the masterful choice as half their funding is in investments as opposed to crowd funded backers. Quite genius really.

Really glad this has become a success. It's an amazing, much loved cult classic so a sequel by the original creators is more than welcome.

wwm0nkey

Looks like this is rocketing towards the finish line! Amazing to see. I think they'll comfortably finish over 3.5 million when all is said and done. With 15 days to go they might even hit 4 million. Fig actually turned out to be quite the masterful choice as half their funding is in investments as opposed to crowd funded backers. Quite genius really.

Really glad this has become a success. It's an amazing, much loved cult classic so a sequel by the original creators is more than welcome.
we might still see it be a bit slow but the last 10 days usually pick up a lot. Either way, it's happening :)

wwm0nkey

It's gone well past what it's needed to these past 2 days, they should do more twitter and social media stuff for the rest of this campaign

Top Bottom