• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 Announced (Crowdfunding on Fig, PC/PS4/XB1, UE4, $3.3M goal--funded!)

Lucreto

I really want to invest but giving money for a game we won't see until 2019. After Broken Age I think waiting for the full version is released.

KiteGr

I also tried to invest on Original Sin 2, but the Capital Controls in Greece blocked in the end any transaction I tried to make.
Attempting to donate now would only cause the problem a fake inflation and get no money from me when the time is up.

Also... No retail for Consoles...

Also... No retail for Consoles...

Yeah they're still destined to get funded - that's a certainty at this point - but no physical edition for consoles is killing the momentum they would have had. If you look at the Kicktraq of Shenmue 3 that campaign was all but dead until the PS4 physical edition was announced causing momentum to generate and the pledges to increase by a factor of ten. Momentum was then sustained for the rest of the campaign. I'm pretty sure Shenmue 3 only reached the ridiculous funding level that it eventually did because of the physical edition for consoles. Even the hardest of hardcore Psychonauts fans would love a physical copy sitting on their shelf and that may be preventing them from pledging.

I think this may have been an oversight by Double Fine - or perhaps something not possible?

dangeROSS

Originally I pledged for just the standard PC copy, and was tempted to throw down the extra money for the console version as well. Until I realized that the console version would only be a digital copy. At that point I decided to just stick with the PC one. I rather have any sort of digital games on PC then console. I just feel PC digital titles are more worthwhile and long lasting compared to console digital stuff. If a physical version was released for consoles I would be all over that though.

Crocodile

How many other crowdfunded projects have so far successfully delivered physical copies for PS4/Xbox One?

It's a new trend that started this past year so none of the games that offered that during their campaign have come out yet. Mighty No 9 will have a physical edition but that was announced way long after the campaign ended when a publisher jumped aboard. Shovel Knight had a recent physical release but that had nothing to do with their campaign. Bloodstained, Shenmue 3 and Indivisible are the only campaigns I'm aware of that offered/offer physical console versions in their campaigns/slacker backer programs.

Less than 40K to go! I think I would have been a little heart broken if something as awesome as this didn't get funded. Super glad to see it succeed.

Just read this news and.... yeah.... time to finally finish the first game after owning (and enjoying ) it for like 6 years now or something. Just never got around to it and got sidetracked way too much. This is just the excuse i needed :)

Spaghetti

Well, that's me at backer #20,006.

Just like I promised I would waaaaay back near the start of the thread, I'm pledging to Psychonauts 2 blindly as some kinda karmic give-back to the Psychonauts fans who pledged to Shenmue III back last summer.

Roll on $3.3 million.

Lady Gaia

How many other crowdfunded projects have so far successfully delivered physical copies for PS4/Xbox One?

It's a tough goal to promise as part of the crowdfunding effort, but there have definitely been examples of Kickstarter projects that eventually got a physical release. Divinity: Original Sin leaps readily to mind.

Gaffi

I'm a bit of a noob with crowd funding but I love Psychonauts. I was looking at the I am Razputin tier and it says includes the plush and all previous tier rewards but then in the individual list of items it fails to list the signed art prints and physical copies of the games (although it lists collector's box which should contain the physical pc games). I know I'm being paranoid but I've seen Kickstarters with tricky wording on tier/rewards before. Does anyone know if there is a cross chart for tiers/rewards? Or is it straight forward and I'm being dumb?

Also is there any word on stretch goals of any kind? I didn't see anything St a glance.

I'm a bit of a noob with crowd funding but I love Psychonauts. I was looking at the I am Razputin tier and it says includes the plush and all previous tier rewards but then in the individual list of items it fails to list the signed art prints and physical copies of the games (although it lists collector's box which should contain the physical pc games). I know I'm being paranoid but I've seen Kickstarters with tricky wording on tier/rewards before. Does anyone know if there is a cross chart for tiers/rewards? Or is it straight forward and I'm being dumb?

Also is there any word on stretch goals of any kind? I didn't see anything St a glance.

they've gotten crap for stretch goals before I think. But anyways don't expect to see any until at the very least they hit the initial goal.

I took a look at the investment terms and honestly they're pretty awful.

They need to sell 700k units at full price just so you can recoup your money, which is already an iffy proposition, but there's almost no room for upside.

Even if the game is wildly successful and sells 4 million fucking units at full price, you're not even tripling your money.

Then they bullshit you by telling you that the first game sold 1.7 million units, but there's no way in hell the average wholesale price was $21. They sold less than 100k units the year it launched (and I'm being generous and thinking all of those were at full price). The vast majority of those sales were probably at something closer to $7-$10.

Considering you're looking at at least 3 years before you see any money back the potential returns seem pretty pitiful for the amount of risk involved.

A shame really, I was looking forward to investing, because this seems like a pretty interesting idea, but you're essentially investing equity without gaining any shares of the business. It's kinda like a preferred stock, but shitier.

I wonder how many people they'll get to invest.

I think most investors realize, or I hope they do, that they aren't likely to make money but maybe they'll be able to get their investment back.

A Double Fine title isn't the best money making scheme.

El Aleph

Banned
Yeah, I think too many people hear "investment" and expect some kind of "get rich quick" scheme when I doubt that's the intent. You're not going to become a self-made millionaire from investing in this game. It's just an option for people with lots of disposable income (i.e., people with $500+ to throw at crowdfunding) to possibly make their money back along with some modest dividends down the road, while at the same time backing a game they want to see come to fruition. Since such people are happy to spend thousands of dollars for rewards of dubious value on Kickstarter (e.g., $4500 to name a street vendor in Shenmue 3!), it's hardly the worst deal in the world, but you also need to be realistic about the investment.

TimmiT

So a couple of days ago I sent Double Fine Support an e-mail asking why I hadn't gotten a confirmation e-mail from them for pledging money through Paypal. Got a pretty quick response saying that they'd get back to me about that. Then today:
PSbihdT.png
So they didn't send out confirmation e-mails for Paypal pledgers at all until now? O_O

Obviously it's no longer a problem now that they're actually sending these out, but still surprising that this campaign has been going on for a month without them doing this.

awesome. I mean I didn't back it yet, i've been holding off in case of an emergency. I'll be buying it digitally on PS4 once it's out since it just didn't seem like a good deal for consoles. But if a stretch goal I really want appears I'll help out.

TimmiT

Congrats to Double Fine! Hope the game's development will go well. And also that I won't regret throwing $100 at this.

Arjac

That's a lot of money. I'm sure I'll get it when it comes out.
here's hoping this one goes a bit better

woodland

Damn, that last 15k + the 11k after 3.3m went insanely fast. Was worried this wasn't gonna get funded last week since it was moving at a snail's pace.

Really happy.

Honestly, I loved Psychonauts - and I'm super happy 2 is being made, and I'm looking forward to it...

But I think I'm actually more excited about getting more 2 Player documentaries out of Double Fine. Loved the Broken Age videos more than I actually ended up liking Broken Age itself. Even if the new Psychonauts doesn't live up to expectations, I know I'll at least get some good stuff to watch out of the deal.

Top Bottom