• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 Announced (Crowdfunding on Fig, PC/PS4/XB1, UE4, $3.3M goal--funded!)

El Aleph

Banned
Damn, that last 15k + the 11k after 3.3m went insanely fast. Was worried this wasn't gonna get funded last week since it was moving at a snail's pace.

Really happy.

It was probably because of the holiday season. Funding picked up big time after the New Year.

What's even better is that this got funded with 5 days to spare, so Tim's detractors can never claim that this wouldn't have gotten funded without the "extension" early in the campaign, because that "extension" only added 4 to 5 days to the total.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This is amazing to hear. So glad the game got funded! I forgot to pledge until now, so I'll do it once I get back home in a few days.

Honestly, I loved Psychonauts - and I'm super happy 2 is being made, and I'm looking forward to it...

But I think I'm actually more excited about getting more 2 Player documentaries out of Double Fine. Loved the Broken Age videos more than I actually ended up liking Broken Age itself. Even if the new Psychonauts doesn't live up to expectations, I know I'll at least get some good stuff to watch out of the deal.

Same. I'm at a point where it would be very difficult for Psychonauts 2 to live up to my expectations, and yet the 2PP docs have only been getting better and worth watching multiple times. Win-win.

Damn, that last 15k + the 11k after 3.3m went insanely fast. Was worried this wasn't gonna get funded last week since it was moving at a snail's pace.

Really happy.

Couple of reasons for that, neither of which makes sense with the fixed funding campaign, but happen anyway. Some people only want to pledge money if they know that the campaign will make it, and some people wait until the end when they know they'll have money for it.

Ultimadrago

Same. I'm at a point where it would be very difficult for Psychonauts 2 to live up to my expectations, and yet the 2PP docs have only been getting better and worth watching multiple times. Win-win.

It's a little different for me. While I'm very much looking forward to the 2 Player Prod. documentaries, I fully put Double Fine to the task to reach my heightened expectations.

I (without going to ridiculous lengths) actually have higher expectations since originally hearing of the Psychonauts 2 announcement due to replaying the first one. It had room for improvement in just enough places where, barring insanity, it should top Psychonauts 1 for me in level design (with the only real challenge being the Camp. Heck, they may not have a Camp hub equivalent at all. :( ) Writing is going to be where I'm uncertain. I'm really hoping they can snag that as well.

Is there a PS4 physical version or is it just download codes?

Only download at the moment.

PaulloDEC

Honestly, I loved Psychonauts - and I'm super happy 2 is being made, and I'm looking forward to it...

But I think I'm actually more excited about getting more 2 Player documentaries out of Double Fine. Loved the Broken Age videos more than I actually ended up liking Broken Age itself. Even if the new Psychonauts doesn't live up to expectations, I know I'll at least get some good stuff to watch out of the deal.

I won't really be excited for Psychonauts 2 until a few months before release. The documentary on the other hand is something I can be excited about every few months from now until the game releases.

It's the best possible formula. Amazing documentary while I wait, and awesome reward (the actual game) at the end.

Did we ever find out who that mystery big investor for this project was? Originally I would've assumed Sony given Shenmue III and DF's remasters being partially funded by them, but Psychonauts 2 also coming to the XBox One makes me think that it can't be them.

Did we ever find out who that mystery big investor for this project was? Originally I would've assumed Sony given Shenmue III and DF's remasters being partially funded by them, but Psychonauts 2 also coming to the XBox One makes me think that it can't be them.

I think in interviews Tim stated that they currently wish to remain anonymous.

I think in interviews Tim stated that they currently wish to remain anonymous.

6b7ac588695cd2d611f11a7177072ee920150622153517.jpg

<_<

I won't really be excited for Psychonauts 2 until a few months before release. The documentary on the other hand is something I can be excited about every few months from now until the game releases.

It's the best possible formula. Amazing documentary while I wait, and awesome reward (the actual game) at the end.

Glad I'm not the only one! Kind of feel like 2 Player found their muse with Double Fine and Tim, although I did really enjoy their work with Penny Arcade. I never did get around to watching the Massive Chalice stuff, as it seemed to be more live streamed than actually edited documentary stuff. Any input on if I should go back and watch it if I've dug their other output?

PaulloDEC

Glad I'm not the only one! Kind of feel like 2 Player found their muse with Double Fine and Tim, although I did really enjoy their work with Penny Arcade. I never did get around to watching the Massive Chalice stuff, as it seemed to be more live streamed than actually edited documentary stuff. Any input on if I should go back and watch it if I've dug their other output?

From what I remember, it's pretty much as you said. Lots of very detailed discussions of how the game was progressing in the livestreams, and some in-depth interviews with the team in the "Massive Knowledge" videos.

It's a little different for me. While I'm very much looking forward to the 2 Player Prod. documentaries, I fully put Double Fine to the task to reach my heightened expectations.

I (without going to ridiculous lengths) actually have higher expectations since originally hearing of the Psychonauts 2 announcement due to replaying the first one. It had room for improvement in just enough places where, barring insanity, it should top Psychonauts 1 for me in level design (with the only real challenge being the Camp. Heck, they may not have a Camp hub equivalent at all. :( ) Writing is going to be where I'm uncertain. I'm really hoping they can snag that as well.

I didn't mean to disparage Double Fine, although I can see how my comment would read that way.

I agree pretty much. Level design needs to be tightened up. The only P1 level I outright dislike is Milla's dance party, which is a bummer because I enjoy Milla's character and the party aesthetic, plus the spooky demon room. But the levitation race and floating through hoops and the halfpipes were not my cup of tea. Some of the other choices were spotty as well, such as aggressively teaching all the acrobatics in Oleander's brain and then never making full use of them again until the Meat Circus. But everything DF has been saying on video and most of what they've produced in the mean time suggests they know better now, which is great.

My problem has more to do with not knowing what I want. Do I want more of the same (only better), or do I want something that's largely different and therefore feels quite as novel as the first game? I'm sure the answer lies in a healthy compromise, but either way I'm plagued by wondering what else there could be with this font of creativity. Classic sequel woes.

Ultimadrago

I didn't mean to disparage Double Fine, although I can see how my comment would read that way.

I agree pretty much. Level design needs to be tightened up. The only P1 level I outright dislike is Milla's dance party, which is a bummer because I enjoy Milla's character and the party aesthetic, plus the spooky demon room. But the levitation race and floating through hoops and the halfpipes were not my cup of tea. Some of the other choices were spotty as well, such as aggressively teaching all the acrobatics in Oleander's brain and then never making full use of them again until the Meat Circus. But everything DF has been saying on video and most of what they've produced in the mean time suggests they know better now, which is great.

My problem has more to do with not knowing what I want. Do I want more of the same (only better), or do I want something that's largely different and therefore feels quite as novel as the first game? I'm sure the answer lies in a healthy compromise, but either way I'm plagued by wondering what else there could be with this font of creativity. Classic sequel woes.

lol. Sequel woes indeed. And I didn't read your post as disparaging at all! Just wanted to share my thoughts. :)

On another note, I'm really tempted to see the mock-ups for those View Masters! (Yes, I'm one of the suckers that wants those reels. Hehe)

dangeROSS

So a couple of days ago I sent Double Fine Support an e-mail asking why I hadn't gotten a confirmation e-mail from them for pledging money through Paypal. Got a pretty quick response saying that they'd get back to me about that. Then today:

So they didn't send out confirmation e-mails for Paypal pledgers at all until now? O_O

Obviously it's no longer a problem now that they're actually sending these out, but still surprising that this campaign has been going on for a month without them doing this.

I backed by Paypal as well, I received a confirmation E-Mail from Paypal, but never Doublefine. I didn't even realize this until just now. I still haven't received anything from them either. Perhaps I should contact them as well just to verify everything is on the up and up. Thanks for posting that info.

I backed by Paypal as well, I received a confirmation E-Mail from Paypal, but never Doublefine. I didn't even realize this until just now. I still haven't received anything from them either. Perhaps I should contact them as well just to verify everything is on the up and up. Thanks for posting that info.

Yeah, I haven't received one either...

PooBone

I paid to get myself enshrined in game in the hall of brains. Psychonauts is one of my favorite games of all time and I never would have believed the day would come where we'd have a sequel.

wwm0nkey

So, would the fact they just updated Psychonauts 1 with good UI for controller support be thread worthy? Because they just did that.

EDIT: Also widescreen cutscenes

Totally agree with Jason that Jak's design feels very 'focus tested'; there was always something about him that felt way less iconic than Crash or even Nathan Drake.

... The entire design of Jak 2 though feels even more like it was just trying to ape what sort of games were popular at the time though.

Funny you mention that, it was. There was a video on the history of Jak and Daxter, and they went through MANY MANY sketches because they had no idea what to do with him.

wwm0nkey

Wait? Really?! Megaton, I'm replaying.

It kind of sucks though because it did break voodoman's fixes and he did some extra stuff on his. but then again not everyone was going to download his stuff since not everyone will look up how to mod their game. Hopefully DF gets in contact with him for some extra things on the first game. I know he was working on a HD texture patch but then when they did that mega Steam patch everything got broken :c

Vibranium

Banned
It kind of sucks though because it did break voodoman's fixes and he did some extra stuff on his. but then again not everyone was going to download his stuff since not everyone will look up how to mod their game. Hopefully DF gets in contact with him for some extra things on the first game. I know he was working on a HD texture patch but then when they did that mega Steam patch everything got broken :c

Luckily I never installed his stuff in hopes DF would patch it. Guess it finally came true.

Where can I go to see the addons? Can't find a section for it on the fig campaign, I somehow missed until now that there's an artbook so I want to see if that can be had as an addon since I've abstained from pledging thus far (I want a physical PS4 release).

have they said anything about potential console ports of the first game?

edit: i mean to ps4/xb1, obviously

of the first game? Nope. At this point it's almost fruitless though, folks who wanted to buy it have largely bought it by now, there's no crazy demand for a port of it to PS4/XBO and it doesn't seem like a good business move.

Top Bottom