• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 Announced (Crowdfunding on Fig, PC/PS4/XB1, UE4, $3.3M goal--funded!)

Ultimadrago

Never played the original psychonauts and never backed a campaign. But happened to check the page with an hour left and said why not?

Congrats to Double Fine!

P.S.: Kinect Party is awesome.

Thanks! Make sure to check out the first game when they send you your pc digital download for Psychonauts 1! :)

Vibranium

Banned
I'm curious what Raz's look in 2 is going to be. I hope he still wears his cap and goggles. Or maybe it's only slightly different from his P1 look?

Glad we got 3.8 million, very nice!

There will almost certainly be an avenue to be a slacker backer.
Mentioned in the stream that there won't be slacker backer options. At least not in the near future. It's probably more complicated to be transparent about that now in light of FIG. But it may come eventually.

Also mentioned on the stream, they're hiring! I'm super tempted to send in an application. I love San Francisco and Double Fine each, so it'd be cool if something could work out.

Ultimadrago

Mentioned in the stream that there won't be slacker backer options. At least not in the near future. It's probably more complicated to be transparent about that now in light of FIG. But it may come eventually.

Also mentioned on the stream, they're hiring! I'm super tempted to send in an application. I love San Francisco and Double Fine each, so it'd be cool if something could work out.

Oh, sweet. What kind of work do you do?

Double fine seems like a very risky company to work for. Maybe rewarding in the long run but having gone through the stress of a company not in its best state, I don't wish that on anyone. But maybe Psychonauts 2 is a success, let's hope

wwm0nkey

Double fine seems like a very risky company to work for. Maybe rewarding in the long run but having gone through the stress of a company not in its best state, I don't wish that on anyone.

eh I know the industry can pretty much break you but I would love the experience. Love where I work right now since I am making games, but they are for medical research so it's not as fun (though it is incredibly rewarding). So I am going to try my hand at it even though I only have a years worth of experience lol

Looking for a summer internship, and I've always wanted to work for Double Fine.

However, the 2 jobs of my expertise are above my skill level. They want a Senior Designer not a Junior and the QA Tester is a full time gig...

Looking for a summer internship, and I've always wanted to work for Double Fine.

However, the 2 jobs of my expertise are above my skill level. They want a Senior Designer not a Junior and the QA Tester is a full time gig...

Yeah, I'm definitely not a 1:1 fit for any of the explicit asks, but I figure it can't hurt to apply anyway.

Yeah, I'm definitely not a 1:1 fit for any of the explicit asks, but I figure it can't hurt to apply anyway.

No harm in asking, but the city is expensive. Where I live (the Peninsula) is not as fucking retarded as SF Proper, but DF is literally right next to the CalTrain station.

And I've never walked by it. Hm.

No harm in asking, but the city is expensive. Where I live (the Peninsula) is not as fucking retarded as SF Proper, but DF is literally right next to the CalTrain station.

And I've never walked by it. Hm.

I'm well aware of that. I used to live in SF.

But ultimately DF has to pay enough for its employees to live nearby, no?

So definitely the PS2 classic & not the PC port, huh? Bummer. Guess I can't complain too much as I've never played the game to begin with.

As far as I'm aware, PC Psychonauts is still running on a decade old engine (pre Brutal Legend/Buddha). It takes a lot to port an existing engine to a new platform, especially such an old one. Meanwhile Sony already has the technology to emulate/bring over PS2 games.

Ultimadrago

Hm, reading through the email it seems Psychonauts 1 Raz will be a mode rather than a simple free outfit swap. Not sure how I feel about this, but I'll take it anyways!

Ultimadrago

what's the difference between outfits? will he use the turtleneck normally?

[Spoilers for Psychonauts 1] This is what Psychonauts 2 Raz will look like, at least starting off.

Psychonauts 1 Raz:

eNdL33I.jpg

dity

Awesome to hear this finished all good. I got an email today saying my pledge went through, I'm excited to see what comes of all this.

Ultimadrago

Yeah, ended up with the Emotional Baggage tier and Lili Plush + Psychonauts View Master add-ons in the end.

Give me ALL of the physical rewards!

SL128

Double fine seems like a very risky company to work for. Maybe rewarding in the long run but having gone through the stress of a company not in its best state, I don't wish that on anyone. But maybe Psychonauts 2 is a success, let's hope
Compared to the rest of the games industry, Double Fine is actually considered one of the best. They've only had to lay people off once (after CQ2's publisher went bankrupt and couldn't promote the game, before Massive Chalice or Broken Age act 2 launched, after losing a major publisher deal, before GF remastered, and after losing money on Spacebase, all factoring in at the same time), and if I remember correctly, they're also much lighter on crunch than other developers.

I don't know if that makes DF a great company to work for in general, but the rest of the videogame industry tends to be worse.

Compared to the rest of the games industry, Double Fine is actually considered one of the best. They've only had to lay people off once (after CQ2's publisher went bankrupt and couldn't promote the game, before Massive Chalice or Broken Age act 2 launched, after losing a major publisher deal, before GF remastered, and after losing money on Spacebase, all factoring in at the same time), and if I remember correctly, they're also much lighter on crunch than other developers.

I don't know if that makes DF a great company to work for in general, but the rest of the videogame industry tends to be worse.

that's a good sign if they've only had to lay off people once, my comment came with no knowledge of their company but with the assumption it was a stressful job since their games are pretty niche when compared to other developers so a constant worry of whether your game will succeed enough or at the very least make enough money to make ends meet seems too much for me. Psychonauts sold great after many many years.

After the reddit AMA I'm sure he has killed most of the hate people had against Double Fine's handling of the titles. It may be seen less of a "money grubbing" fashion now and more of an "somewhat incompetent use of the money"

Warxard

Banned
After the reddit AMA I'm sure he has killed most of the hate people had against Double Fine's handling of the titles. It may be seen less of a "money grubbing" fashion now and more of an "somewhat incompetent use of the money"

Image board frequenters will probably still regurgitate the same copy pasta nonsense despite it being proven to be false, kind of like that shitty copy pasta about Rare

Incompetent?

I'm just going with the feelings people had with the kickstarter campaigns in general. Some feel that Broken Age's schedule and final package wasn't what they promised, and the team has said they wanted to make a better game and issues arose from that as they didn't calculate what they'd need properly.

Then there's the space game which simply never released.

And I guess the promises of Massive Chalice didn't live up to the expectations and promises either.

I wouldn't know personally, I'm satisfied with Broken Age and Massive Chalice was a decent game even if I don't play it anymore.

dLMN8R

If you think the Reddit AmA actually satisfied the conspiracy theorists who have bought into lies perpetuated by GamerGate and other dumb groups of people, you'll probably be disappointed.

Look, GamerGate still thinks that Double Fine asked backers for more money for Broken Age, and they even think that Double Fine ran a second crowd-funding campaign for Broken Age because they ran out of money. These are not difficult accusations to disprove, and yet here we are.

Just look at the replies to any article mentioning Tim Schafer:

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/689111256154898432
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/687058997778624512

Uninformed people will respond to facts by deepening their false beliefs, not the other way around.

I'm just going with the feelings people had with the kickstarter campaigns in general. Some feel that Broken Age's schedule and final package wasn't what they promised, and the team has said they wanted to make a better game and issues arose from that as they didn't calculate what they'd need properly.

Then there's the space game which simply never released.

And I guess the promises of Massive Chalice didn't live up to the expectations and promises either.

I wouldn't know personally, I'm satisfied with Broken Age and Massive Chalice was a decent game even if I don't play it anymore.

Yeah, some people will always have ideas like that, but calling a developer incompetent for them not living up to everyones expectation is a bit like calling devs lazy when a feature is missing.

FyreWulff

If you think the Reddit AmA actually satisfied the conspiracy theorists who have bought into lies perpetuated by GamerGate and other dumb groups of people, you'll probably be disappointed.

Look, GamerGate still thinks that Double Fine asked backers for more money for Broken Age, and they even think that Double Fine ran a second crowd-funding campaign for Broken Age because they ran out of money. These are not difficult accusations to disprove, and yet here we are.

Just look at the replies to any article mentioning Tim Schafer:

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/689111256154898432
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/687058997778624512

Uninformed people will respond to facts by deepening their false beliefs, not the other way around.

My favorite thing is how they'll go on that their investment papers say the investment can potentially fail.

Like,

1) Yes, investments CAN FAIL.

2) They would literally go to jail if they tried to sell investor options and say they are guaranteed profit. The SEC would be ALL. OVER. THAT.

Top Bottom