• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Opinion Psychonauts 2 is a masterclass in level design

Jul 23, 2018
I didn't like the game, its not a bad game but I don't think it is as great as people are hyping it up to be. I deleted it about 4 hours in.

Can't believe people said this game is better than Ratchet and Clank Rift apart :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Aug 11, 2019
Definitely going to be checking this out on gamepass soon. From all accounts it sounds like Double Fine knocked it out the park with this one. It's always nice when a revived franchise gets the attention it deserves.

GymWolf

Jun 11, 2019
One of the very few platform games that kinda intrigue me for his art design\level design (from whwt i saw in the gameplay videos), maybe in the future with the right state of mind i'm gonna give it a chance.

Hugare

Sep 8, 2019
Still didn't play, but I know that it follows the classic platform style instead the "collect them all"
Not really

There are tons of collectibles in every level, and most of them are quite dense

Some hub areas with more collectibles and sidequests to find

Its much more open than Crash 4, for example. Much more.

It rewards exploration

Theres a hidden area inside a waterfall that was really awesome to find just by experimenting with my powers

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
i'm buying it on GOG cause DRM is satan's work
okay.....

Okaay Ok GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017
Part 1 is essential.

This game is made for fans of that game and is partly funded by them too.

But it's an old game and if you don't have enough time, maybe watch story recap on YouTube.
In the beginning of Psychonauts 2 they do a recap of the first game. No NEED to play the 1st really.

elliot5

Apr 22, 2021
In the beginning of Psychonauts 2 they do a recap of the first game. No NEED to play the 1st really.
The recap isn't fully thorough but it's good enough in a pinch. I would recommend watching like a 20-25 minute recap on P1 and Rhombus on youtube rather than the little 3 minute animation they use

rob305

Gold Member
Aug 1, 2013
Miami Beach, FL
Sounds like a decent game.
Will wait for it to come on PS+.
Have any microsoft game studios releases been on PS+ in the past? I think its only out on playstation because MS honored existing contracts when they acquired double fine, id be surprised if this shows up on PS+ or PSNow

Reactions: CatLady

PropellerEar

Dec 8, 2018
Have any microsoft game studios releases been on PS+ in the past? I think its only out on playstation because MS honored existing contracts when they acquired double fine, id be surprised if this shows up on PS+ or PSNow
Let me just wait! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

mcjmetroid

Feb 11, 2019
Limerick, Ireland
Part 1 is essential.

This game is made for fans of that game and is partly funded by them too.

But it's an old game and if you don't have enough time, maybe watch story recap on YouTube.
Part 1 although I still love it is sometimes not a very fun gaming experience.
I tried it again after finishing 2.
For new people to the series 1 is essential for the story but it's so dated gameplay wise so it's a hard sell.

Especially the Lungfish and the Milkman stages.

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
Psychonauts 2 does a pretty incredible job of melding story/concept and game design. I've definitely played games with tighter platforming but it does such a great job of throwing new stuff at you constantly and using that to advance the story.

SegaManAU

Oct 27, 2011
Australia
Almost finished and I have to agree with most on here that it's pretty much my GOTY.

The writing, platforming, and design are amazing.

marjo

Neo Member
Jul 22, 2021
I didn't like the game, its not a bad game but I don't think it is as great as people are hyping it up to be. I deleted it about 4 hours in.

Can't believe people said this game is better than Ratchet and Clank Rift apart :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I can't fathom how anyone whose played both games could come away thinking that R&C rift apart is better.

In a few years, no one will think twice about Rift apart, but Psychonauts 2 will be looked back on as a classic.

CatLady

Jun 12, 2018
Don't think I would've bothered playing it if it wasn't on gamepass.. that would've been a mistake
Same here. I expected to play it for a 1/2 hour or less and then uninstall it. I was only willing to give it a try because it didn't cost me anything to try it on Game Pass. Instead I played it non-stop and absolutely loved it.

Thanks Game Pass another great game I never would have played if not for you :messenger_beaming:

Jul 23, 2018
I can't fathom how anyone whose played both games could come away thinking that R&C rift apart is better.

In a few years, no one will think twice about Rift apart, but Psychonauts 2 will be looked back on as a classic.

Idk if I dropped the game too soon but from what I played its a good game but nothing special imo.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Bernkastel

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Dec 25, 2019
Prague, Czech Republic
I think it's a good project, but bad game, platforming sucks, graphics is arstyle mess and I am progressing slowly, because longer I play more annoyed I am about controls and platforming which isn't as goo as I would hope for. GamePass or bust, 60 bucks, no thanks...

twilo99

Mar 9, 2021
Same here. I expected to play it for a 1/2 hour or less and then uninstall it. I was only willing to give it a try because it didn't cost me anything to try it on Game Pass. Instead I played it non-stop and absolutely loved it.

Thanks Game Pass another great game I never would have played if not for you :messenger_beaming:

yeah pretty great.. I actually started on xcloud and then downloaded the game on my PC after I was sure its worth the time, its an amazing service really.