• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 is a masterclass in level design

GymWolf

One of the very few platform games that kinda intrigue me for his art design\level design (from whwt i saw in the gameplay videos), maybe in the future with the right state of mind i'm gonna give it a chance.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Still didn't play, but I know that it follows the classic platform style instead the "collect them all"

Hugare

Still didn't play, but I know that it follows the classic platform style instead the "collect them all"
Not really

There are tons of collectibles in every level, and most of them are quite dense

Some hub areas with more collectibles and sidequests to find

Its much more open than Crash 4, for example. Much more.

It rewards exploration

Theres a hidden area inside a waterfall that was really awesome to find just by experimenting with my powers

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
i'm buying it on GOG cause DRM is satan's work
okay.....

Okaay Ok GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Part 1 is essential.

This game is made for fans of that game and is partly funded by them too.

But it's an old game and if you don't have enough time, maybe watch story recap on YouTube.
In the beginning of Psychonauts 2 they do a recap of the first game. No NEED to play the 1st really.

elliot5

In the beginning of Psychonauts 2 they do a recap of the first game. No NEED to play the 1st really.
The recap isn't fully thorough but it's good enough in a pinch. I would recommend watching like a 20-25 minute recap on P1 and Rhombus on youtube rather than the little 3 minute animation they use

rob305

Sounds like a decent game.
Will wait for it to come on PS+.
Have any microsoft game studios releases been on PS+ in the past? I think its only out on playstation because MS honored existing contracts when they acquired double fine, id be surprised if this shows up on PS+ or PSNow

Have any microsoft game studios releases been on PS+ in the past? I think its only out on playstation because MS honored existing contracts when they acquired double fine, id be surprised if this shows up on PS+ or PSNow
Let me just wait! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

mcjmetroid

Part 1 is essential.

This game is made for fans of that game and is partly funded by them too.

But it's an old game and if you don't have enough time, maybe watch story recap on YouTube.
Part 1 although I still love it is sometimes not a very fun gaming experience.
I tried it again after finishing 2.
For new people to the series 1 is essential for the story but it's so dated gameplay wise so it's a hard sell.

Especially the Lungfish and the Milkman stages.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Psychonauts 2 does a pretty incredible job of melding story/concept and game design. I've definitely played games with tighter platforming but it does such a great job of throwing new stuff at you constantly and using that to advance the story.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Almost finished and I have to agree with most on here that it's pretty much my GOTY.

The writing, platforming, and design are amazing.

marjo

I didn't like the game, its not a bad game but I don't think it is as great as people are hyping it up to be. I deleted it about 4 hours in.

Can't believe people said this game is better than Ratchet and Clank Rift apart :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I can't fathom how anyone whose played both games could come away thinking that R&C rift apart is better.

In a few years, no one will think twice about Rift apart, but Psychonauts 2 will be looked back on as a classic.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Don't think I would've bothered playing it if it wasn't on gamepass.. that would've been a mistake
Same here. I expected to play it for a 1/2 hour or less and then uninstall it. I was only willing to give it a try because it didn't cost me anything to try it on Game Pass. Instead I played it non-stop and absolutely loved it.

Thanks Game Pass another great game I never would have played if not for you :messenger_beaming:

I can't fathom how anyone whose played both games could come away thinking that R&C rift apart is better.

In a few years, no one will think twice about Rift apart, but Psychonauts 2 will be looked back on as a classic.

Idk if I dropped the game too soon but from what I played its a good game but nothing special imo.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I think it's a good project, but bad game, platforming sucks, graphics is arstyle mess and I am progressing slowly, because longer I play more annoyed I am about controls and platforming which isn't as goo as I would hope for. GamePass or bust, 60 bucks, no thanks...

twilo99

Same here. I expected to play it for a 1/2 hour or less and then uninstall it. I was only willing to give it a try because it didn't cost me anything to try it on Game Pass. Instead I played it non-stop and absolutely loved it.

Thanks Game Pass another great game I never would have played if not for you :messenger_beaming:

yeah pretty great.. I actually started on xcloud and then downloaded the game on my PC after I was sure its worth the time, its an amazing service really.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished this master piece. The first one was great, but Psychonauts 2 is honestly one of the best games I've ever played. The level-design is top notch, its creative, varied and full of set pieces that are unique to the genre. They are also a joy to play. The story and dialogue are the best of any platformer, no contest. Everything that was great about the first is still in tact and better than ever and the few gripes I had about the first one (abilities didn't get fully utilized until the second half of the game, combat, the last level) are fixed. The combat is super fun. I never felt like any of the abilities are underutilized and combining them is a joy. There was not a single level I felt was frustrating, it's challenging and very well balanced. It's also a very good looking gaming, masterful art direction throughout. The presentation is great. There were two moments where I had to restart a level because I clipped through the environment and was stuck, but the game set me right back where I left off and despite that it's still a very polished game, so I won't nitpick.

Ultimately, this is my game of the year and a strong contender for game of the generation. Everyone who likes platformers should play this.

I'm playing the game right now and its honestly one of the best games I have played in a long while. I just finished the Psy King level. My favorite level so far is the cooking show, it was very creative and very funny. The gameplay is tight, the characters are very well written and the levels have been unique and fun to play through. I can't wait to see what Double Fine does next.

I'm playing the game right now and its honestly one of the best games I have played in a long while. I just finished the Psy King level. My favorite level so far is the cooking show, it was very creative and very funny. The gameplay is tight, the characters are very well written and the levels have been unique and fun to play through. I can't wait to see what Double Fine does next.
You can almost feel the love the devs put into this game and yes the cooking show was great fun. Loved that level.

Ebidramon

Banned
I haven't played sequel yet, but I did play a little bit of beginning of the first game on PC (originally I finished it years ago on PS2); it's incredible how good that game still looks simply with higher resolution, and framerate.

Games with unique artstyle endure for much longer.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

When you think of Psychonauts, you may envision large areas with quirky enemies, difficult platforming feats, and special abilities. Psychonauts 2 is full of brilliantly designed levels that make smart use of all these features, but Compton's Cookoff, the second full 'brain' world in Psychonauts 2, is unlike anything that has preceded it - both within the game itself, and platformers in general. It trades Psychonauts' signature sprawling psychedelic design for forensic attention to detail, while traces of the brain owner's intense psychological conflict shape almost every aspect of the stage. Psychonauts 2 has no shortage of levels built around addressing key issues, but Compton's Cookoff stands out as an expertly realized exercise in combining unique gameplay with thoughtful, thematic storytelling - even if some of it happened by accident.

To find out more about how it came together, and the changes it underwent during development, IGN picked the brains of members of the Double Fine development team to break down how such a hearty, memorable meal of a level came to life. This is Art of the Level.

Nah. Feels ancient compared to Mario Odyssey/Astrobot. Level design is visually creative, but not so fun to navigate. It's a game stuck in the past with a fresh coat of paint.

Not a bad game, but masterclass? Get outta here.

Last edited:

Arachnid

2 hours in.

Still waiting to see anything masterclass about it. Constantly let's you play for 15 seconds before shoving another quirky cutscene down your throat.

If it's as good as everyone seems to say it is, it certainly suffers from a dreadfully slow start.
I had the same impression and uninstalled after those two hours. Not sure if that was a mistake or not when I see peoples raving impressions about it.

Krathoon

Really, the game is surprisingly short compared to the first one. I think there is some hidden stuff in there that I missed.
If you include the VR game, it seems more reasonable.

Top Bottom