• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts 2 will have an invincibility toggle

Kuranghi

I like accessibility options in modern games for messing about after beating them, or sometimes I've used them to get through a particularly annoying part again after losing progress for some reason. In R&C: Rift Apart you can bind slow motion to the dpad shortcuts and it was pretty fun to mess about with at the end before I stopped playing, just to see all the death animations in more detail.

Best thing in Spiderman: MM was being able to just disable the QTEs outright, they mostly add nothing and it was just more fun to watch the cutscene 9/10 times for me.

elliot5

Fine by me. Just don't use it if you don't want to. Let the developers put in the features they want for accessibility purposes. It still allowing achievements is fine. Who gives a fuck enough about achievements as if they're anything meaningful? They're personal things, why would it matter how anyone obtains them besides yourself? I just get achievements for Rewards points. Not every developer needs to put in stuff like this, but if Double Fine wants to then that's okay.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
michael jackson halloween GIF by Vevo

Shai-Tan

Banned
it's for people who wouldn't otherwise play the game and would enjoy the story. there's plenty of games with "just the story" mode.

an invincibility toggle actually is better than lowest common denominator game design path that many games take. it won't satisfy people who want more difficult puzzles (an equivalent feature would be puzzle "hints") but I don't see most "gamers" crying about puzzles not being hard enough

edit: for platforming it's a bit harder. most games make more difficult platforming side content

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Can I just toggle all achievements/trophies unlocked from the main menu from now on?

It would be so much easier if I could just add completed games to my profiles without having to bother playing them.
I wish I could opt out of all this garbage. I’ve turned off trophy and achievement notifications day-one the ability became available. Game design also shifted to fit achievements which is bring stupid because many games became less replayable unless you just HAD to have achievements.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
First had a invincibility cheat, so no surprise.

Of course since this is 2021 instead of just announcing it as such, you instead announce it with condescending twitter posts towards gamers for journalist brownie points.
Pretty much this. It's not really any different from a cheat or unlockable.

The only difference is the condescending and virtue signaling messaging.

Miles708

Stupid. If you're going to have that, make sure you cannot earn achievements with it turned on.
Why?

Pretty much this. It's not really any different from a cheat or unlockable.

The only difference is the condescending and virtue signaling messaging.

I have to say I have to agree here.
I'm totally ok with the option but I hope they insert it in a way that doesn't feels like getting patted on the head and being told "don't worry, we love you even if you're an idiot".

Being Double Fine, though, i totally expect/hope for this to be a way to throw in some clever jokes.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Our culture is a bunch of pansies.

The developer obviously cares about this kind of thing, so there's nothing wrong with them making the game as easy as they want to. If it played itself, it'd still be fine. It's an option, and no one loses anything.

Now, when people want to FORCE developers to provide said options when they don't want/care, that's a different thing, but it's obviously not the case here.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Thats Devs choice and they can do what they want with their own game but I hope people understand that freedom works both ways, if Devs are free to put invincibility option for their game then other Devs are also free not put difficulty option if they don't want to.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
One site had the writer of the article saying he hoped he'd still get all achievements despite using invincibility mode...that would be ridiculous. Also, they should rename it "games journalist mode", it's the only way most of them would be able to complete it!

I don't mind that it's an option, but if you call yourself a gamer and you're not seriously handicapped and you use it on your 1st run, then shame on you!

Also, I can smell virtue signalling a mile away, that's what his tweet was about, hopefully more doesn't follow, as I really want to enjoy this game!

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
It’s the creators original vision. If you don‘t like it play something else. Not every game is made for you,

Unironically that's exactly right. That is the vision, we can joke about it but I honestly think it's nothing to be fucked with. Just like the right other studios have to make their games tough as nails giving no options to make them easier.

Top Bottom