• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts Differences PS2/XB/PC

vireland

Does anyone have a list of the differences between the three versions? I was surprised that the PS2 version seemed to have quite a bit of new comedy dialogue (and a fair amount of bugs!). Because of the dialogue additions (was the "new" dialogue in the XB version, and just randomized so I missed it?) I actually prefer the PS2 version. If the Windows version is different as well with more/different/better dialogue, I'd actually consider buying that to play as well. Let's face it. Tim Schaefer's games are just vehicles for reams of great dialogue, and there is never enough to go around.

BuddyC

I'm relatively confident that all threee versions are identical in terms of content and just vary in the technicalities. If it makes you feel any better, watching others play Psychonauts, I realized I missed a fair share of the dialogue myself.

The windows version, if you have a Dual Shock controller adapter, is simply incredible on decent hardware. I ran it on my 2.8Ghz P4 and a 6600GT, and it was very smooth and very, very clean-looking.

I don't think there is much difference in the way of dialogue and what not from the Xbox version, but man, it's just soo pretty. :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So there are actually differences besides visuals eh? Interesting...

How DO the PS2 visuals compare, though? The XBOX and PC versions make heavy usage of perpixel effects to achieve many of the effects. How do they handle it on PS2?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
ToyMachine228 said:
I am eventually going to get the Xbox version...I swear it. I played the OXM demo, and I'm just waiting for a price drop.

Oh come on, this game needs your support. Majesco is in trouble and Double Fine isn't exactly rolling in green. Go support them!

vireland

I'm relatively confident that all threee versions are identical in terms of content and just vary in the technicalities. If it makes you feel any better, watching others play Psychonauts, I realized I missed a fair share of the dialogue myself.

One example is after the lake when you go back to HQ and he asks if you're ready to head back to the battlefield. In the PS2 version if you say no, he slaps you and says something like "how about now". There was nothing like that in the XBOX version. It cracked me up.

Axl

I don't know if anyone has pointed this out, but the PS2 and xbox versions are $34.99 at ebgames.com right now. Mines on the way :D

Leatherface

I just played the demo on the PC the other day. WOW. Great fucking game. Plays great with a keyboard and mouse as well btw. Just make sure you "invert" the camera controls or you'll be all screwed up..heh.

Tarazet

GI gave the Xbox version an 8.75 and the PS2 version a 8.5; they said in the PS2 version, the gameplay is more intuitive because the powers have been mapped to the shoulder buttons (?), but they said it "took a few blows to the cranium from the chugly stick," going on to describe jaggies, muddy complexions, slowdown and a choppy framerate...

Togeo

vireland said:
One example is after the lake when you go back to HQ and he asks if you're ready to head back to the battlefield. In the PS2 version if you say no, he slaps you and says something like "how about now". There was nothing like that in the XBOX version. It cracked me up.

Actually that's in the Xbox version. Absolutely hilarious. I did it 11 or 12 times hehe :D

Crispy

The PS2 version plays horrible because of the chuggy frame-rate, less responsive controls and the muddy textures. I don't know about the X-box version, but the PC version is great! Looks very clean and runs a lot smoother on my 1500 mhz PC with a Geforce 4600 than on the PS2.

Note that I don't want to be negative about the PS2, rather the awful job of porting it to the system!

vireland

Actually that's in the Xbox version. Absolutely hilarious. I did it 11 or 12 times hehe

Weird. I wonder how much other stuff was missed because it was random or time-specific?

The PS2 version was definitely a LOT buggier than the XBOX one. I'm amazed it passed QA.

Vark

I think time of day / sequence of events had the most effect on what the kids said and then the rest was randomized.

I'm not sure if it was taken out, but the build they had at the Nvidia Booth at GDC had some abolutely hilarious Lungfishopolis scenes where when you'd crush a building the voices would say stuff like:

"The orphanage! On No! What have you done Goggalor!"

and

"Oh no he's destroyed the school!" (kids cheering 'Thanks Goggalor!")

I never heard them in the retail version but its entirely possible I just missed them. But I still wonder if they weren't taken out for ratings or something.

Ironclad

Has anybody gone back to
Waterloo World and jumped into the board game?
If you haven't, go back and talk to the cows in there. Raz has some hillarious things to say.

Also Vark, I am sure I have heard those lines of dialogue. I've also heard. "Oh no, not my mattress factory! Why Goggalor?!" :lol

Azih

Funniest bit of dialouge in
Lungfishopolis I ran across was this one time I was running by a ground of Lungfish and I heard a female voice say something like 'I love you Goggalor!' I wasn't sure that's what I heard but a little while later it was confirmed when the same voice said 'Goggalor is impervious to bullets. And Love'. I could not stop laughing man.

Stryder

Ironclad_Ninja said:
Has anybody gone back to
Waterloo World and jumped into the board game?
If you haven't, go back and talk to the cows in there. Raz has some hillarious things to say.

Also Vark, I am sure I have heard those lines of dialogue. I've also heard. "Oh no, not my mattress factory! Why Goggalor?!" :lol
You would go back to that world wouldn't you Ironclad? :p

Did you end up buying another (signed) copy?

Ironclad

Stryder said:
You would go back to that world wouldn't you Ironclad? :p

Did you end up buying another (signed) copy?
No, in the end I decided against. But...now that you've brought it back up. Hmm, wonder how much money I got in the ol' checking account.

And of course I would go back into that world. Come on man, Cows! And you can talk to them! Plus, the music is just amazing.

dark10x said:
How DO the PS2 visuals compare, though? The XBOX and PC versions make heavy usage of perpixel effects to achieve many of the effects. How do they handle it on PS2?

The PS2 version plays like it's unfinished. There are many visual glitches, a hideous frame rate, muddy textures, and undetailed and often ugly (technically, NOT artistically!) characters in some portions of the game (the main culprit is the hub overworld). However, other areas of the game run fine for the most part (such as the Milkman Conspiracy). I don't think the PS2 version is even finished, to be perfectly honest.

Still, the game is fun enough to overcome these problems. If that's not a sign of great game design, then I don't know what is.

I've managed to play all three. I completed the Xbox and PC version. The ps2 version I just dabbled since I was borrowing it and the ps2 as I don't own one.

PC: easily the best version if you happen to have a mid to high end system. I also found it a bit easier
Xbox: Like the pc version but lower resolution, longer load times and some sound glitches. The control I found a bit sluggish for some odd reason
PS2: I was surprised how close to the xbox version it was. The graphics were as good as the xbox but the jump down from xbox to ps2 wasn't as big as pc to xbox. Frame rate was pretty terrible and there were quite a number of glitches. The load times were epic. Still playable though.

Amir0x

Banned
So I rented to PS2 version just to compare, and let me just echo some of the complaints above.

Load times seem way longer, they've almost become unbearable.
Framerate is fine some places, awful others. It becomes nearly unplayable in one or two moments.
Inconsistent visuals, but still remarkably close to the other versions in that regard.

Dialogue seems exactly the same. I haven't noticed any difference. However, I did encounter an audio glitch in the PS2 version. I don't know if it can be recreated in XBX version or PC version, but whenever I start
Milla's Dance Party
the sound automatically starts skipping.

Ranger X

Nobody complaining about the delayed controls? When on the PS2 it gets even worse sometimes, especially when you try to "delay jump" in a poor framerate.

Amir0x

Banned
Wyzdom said:
Nobody complaining about the delayed controls? When on the PS2 it gets even worse sometimes, especially when you try to "delay jump" in a poor framerate.

For me, this doesn't seem to be a problem. I haven't had any issues with the gameplay. Nothing seems to be difficult to play, but I'm still early.

Tarazet

Edgar's world is killing me. It's beautiful, but that bull is such a pain in the ass. I can't find where the Queen of Spades is...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Does anyone have suggestion what would be the easiest way to lift some of the voice work from the game so that I can make the soundboard? I want to rip/record the voices of agents from the Milkman Conspiracy. Their dialogues/monologues are an absolute highlight of the game so far - and I want to play them for some hilarity in my work office.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Thank you Baron Calamity!

I think I'll have to extract more than that, though - but it's a great start.
These are also missing the great background music that adds so much :(

Btw, there are two things to do improve the loading times on PS2 significantly. First one, is obviously, to install it on a HDD, but the other one is not as obvious. Psychonauts is using the auto save feature which is kinda worthless considering that auto saving is taking place on the loading screens, and it's taking longer than the actual loading. Just unplug the memory card while you're playing the game, and plug it in only at the end of the gaming session when you want to save. If you do both these things, load times will shorten from 10 seconds to 2-3 seconds.

Top Bottom