• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Retro Trailer Platform Psychonauts - Official Xbox Game Pass Launch Trailer

dvdvideo

Sep 15, 2005
If you give it a chance, it's better than you might think. So much imagination in it's design/levels.

Dec 4, 2019
Played this on og xbox, quite the trip at the time.
Played it again few years back, less of a trip but still fun.

Typical Double Fine out of the ordinary game, I recommend it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
May 31, 2018
Leeds, UK
Played it last year with zero prior experience, holds up.

The gameplay is nothing special at all but that's not why you play Psychonauts.

elliot5

Gold Member
Apr 22, 2021
I'm playing on steam right now. It's great so far. Very charming as basically all double fine games are

Reactions: EDMIX

Bridges

Nov 15, 2016
USA
Wish they would've added achievements to it but I'm excited to finally try it all the same. Kinda surprised it took as long as it did.

Sentenza

Dec 3, 2011
Never actually played Psychonauts. Guess I should before the sequel.
It's one of the best action adventures ever made, so yeah, anyone who doesn't straight up hate the genre should.

Actually, even people who hate the genre should get fucking over it and play it anyway. Bunch of whiny wankers.

Reactions: EDMIX and Connxtion

Connxtion

May 30, 2014
Scotland
How good is this game?
Played it on the OG Xbox and loved it. Bought it as soon as it was available on the UK Xbox site. But haven’t got round to playing it yet.
Mainly because I was far on the OG Xbox version and I will need to do it all again 😂

But it’s a great game.

elliot5

Gold Member
Apr 22, 2021
does it run better or have any enhancements for the series s|x ?
No, beyond normal backwards compatibility stuff. It's the original Xbox version. I played on PC because I had it on steam and because of the widescreen support.

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
I wonder if this is an updated port at all.

How good is this game?
It's really good. Not so much the mechanics, which are just kind of average 3D platformer fare, but the writing and the amazingly clever level design really elevate it.

LMJ

Feb 7, 2019
People the game is not flawless, but it IS one of the most unique, creative and clever games I have ever played. Easily in my top 5 of all time.

double fine tim schaefer GIF

PLEASE give it a try, from the level design to the characters to the story and setting it is a phenomenal ride!

P.S if you need personal therapy as you are trying to find all figments, but are only missing a select few...we've all been there :D

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Dec 1, 2014
ibiza
How good is this game?

16 years later and Psychonauts remains a quintessential classic that is still absolutely worth your time, especially now that it's on Game Pass.

2005 was an eclectic and exciting year for games, with influential titles like God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Splinter Call, Resident Evil 4, and last, but not least, Psychonauts. Each one of these games hold a legacy today, but not all of them were a success upon their release. 16 years ago Psychonauts was released to critical acclaim, but was a commercial failure. Today, however, the game has reached cult status, and now has a sequel on the way.

Psychonauts was the debut title from Double Fine, a studio led by LucasArts veteran Tim Schafer -- the mastermind behind Grim Fandango and Full Throttle. While Psychonauts was not an initial success, it has steadily grown in sales over the years thanks to re-distribution on current gen consoles, giving the game a second wind in 2011.

In 2019 Microsoft acquired Double Fine, and now most of its titles are available on Game Pass, with the most recent entry being Psychonaust. In this video, Kurt Indovina revisits Psychonauts 16 years later, and regales as to why it’s even a miracle that we’re getting a sequel in the first place.