• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PT and others games recreated in Dreams WTF!!!!

GermanZepp

Edit: I didn't know dreams tools could create such a graphics. Edit 2: if you pay attention, when the character turn the corner the right wall shows dreams trademark kinda scrappy textures.

Last edited:
Dreams is quite posibbly the most ambitious game ever. If Sony makes it right, they may have a neverending stream of "A" games, both flat and VR.

Shifty

Damn. I'd call shenanigans if not for the follow-up from a Media Molecule employee.

Big question from me is how they got the audio in there. I guess there's probably render-to-texture gubbins you could use to create the hanging pictures.

we just need creative people like this person. not like me. to make dreams a fantastic video game.

please give me stuff like this. I couldn't even make a 2d level in lbp if i tried.

The real deal will be when we assemble teams to create full games. With task division will come more complexity and better production values to graphics, music, gameplay or narrative. Also, as there are many assets already created by the community, reusing them will save lot of time for bigger projects. I just wonder what the space restriction they have planned for each project is.

GermanZepp

I
There are no textures in Dreams. It's completely down to the creator. If they're crappy, take it up with the developer, not the game creation tool.
I know in dreams are no thing called "textures" they explained that is other kind of rendering . And I said scrappy, edit: like a cloth that is not well sewn, like a distinctive quality to identify the gif as a dreams creation, I don't have an english vocabulary to find a better word. No need to jump man.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I
I know in dreams are no thing called "textures" they explained that is other kind of rendering . And I said scrappy, like a distinctive quality to identify the gif as a dreams creation, I don't have an english vocabulary to find a better word. No need to jump man.

Actually, I meant to write 'scrappy' too. It's still the case, the only reason this looks the way it does is because of the creator. There ARE instances when the Dreams engine interferes a little with the creative vision but those are largely outdoor scenes when the 'painterly' sky shows through.

Shin

Banned
That is truly banana's, MM / Dreams in general should do some projects with schools if they aren't already.
This kind of thing can be very helpful children with disabilities (society likes to put a stamp on everything, not my wording).

This kind of highlights the downfall of Dreams. If you are talented enough to do that with Dreams, why wouldn't you just start using Unity and have infinitely more freedom?

Easy. You need to know basics of coding (more than basics actually) to use any graphic engine while you can start up in dreams without any previous knowledge. You just need time and imagination.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Easy. You need to know basics of coding (more than basics actually) to use any graphic engine while you can start up in dreams without any previous knowledge. You just need time and imagination.
That's just not true. There are really good no coding tools for Unity.

Dreams is quite posibbly the most ambitious game ever. If Sony makes it right, they may have a neverending stream of "A" games, both flat and VR.
The tools are absolutely stunning. It's shockingly impressive.

But I do wonder how many people can make stuff like this. All Super Mario Maker made me realize is how much I like the Nintendo made levels more than anything people were making. I know there's a speed running community that loves it, but it wasn't for me.

onQ123

I remember when I used to be talking about what could be done with software based rendering & people thought I was crazy.

But just imagine if Sony hardware accelerated all the good rendering tech that they came across while making dreams & added these co-processors to the PS5 & on top of that let us scan real life objects into games using the depth camera in the controller & on our phones.

FatboyTim

Can you make Star Wars games? Someone has to... EA isn’t.
FYI: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/legal/terms-of-service/
  • You may not conduct any activities that violate any local, state or federal laws, including copyright or trademark infringement, defamation, invasion of privacy, identity theft, hacking, stalking, fraud, stealing or using without purchasing, where payment is required, any content or service and distributing counterfeit software or Accounts.

FYI: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/legal/terms-of-service/
  • You may not conduct any activities that violate any local, state or federal laws, including copyright or trademark infringement, defamation, invasion of privacy, identity theft, hacking, stalking, fraud, stealing or using without purchasing, where payment is required, any content or service and distributing counterfeit software or Accounts.
Only way to play good Star Wars games is to go retro confirmed :messenger_loudly_crying:

mekes

That’s really impressive. The game has always had my curiosity but this has bumped it up to the point where I may now buy it at launch.

Fbh

That's pretty impressive.
Dreams could really shape up to be something big

LBP was a good first step but always felt limited. People made impressive stuff but all the popular levels were more "it's cool someone was able to make this" than "this is really fun to play".

But dreams seems to take it to the next level. I expect there will be some legit good games/experiences that will come out of this

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Would be amazing if someone could recreate Mario Galaxy in this :D

Imagine being able to remake any old game in HD too!

Would be amazing if someone could recreate Mario Galaxy in this

The platforming mechanics in something like 3D Mario are too nuanced for a high level dev kit like this. It would feel off.

Any games that don't require too much mechanical/control precision in specific ways (eg shooters, rpgs, action adventures) would be fair game.

TLZ

Banned
The platforming mechanics in something like 3D Mario are too nuanced for a high level dev kit like this. It would feel off.

Any games that don't require too much mechanical/control precision in specific ways (eg shooters, rpgs, action adventures) would be fair game.
Yeah I don't really know how these work, but I'm still excited to see what people come up with :)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
In this game can we make short films?

Oh, yeah. You can make pretty much anything you can think of. You could make a full film if you wanted to. Some people are better than others and have come to grips with the tools quickly. I'm at the lower end of the scale ...

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Awesome if a can create a short film!!!

I believe that this game is crossgen with ps5 with more elements but i will get in ps4 early version!

Top Bottom