• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PT and others games recreated in Dreams WTF!!!!

Geki-D

Banned
Would'nt you have any time to do an OT?
I really want to see an OT. Might make one myself if no one else will, just so we have one at this point. Not really sure what to put in the OP or what I can even be bothered to put in in terms of effort.

Vawn

Banned
This game is pretty much out then? I mean they're selling it, but not calling it an official release?

It seems as if no one is really talking about it outside of a very small subset of people. I can't see this ending well for MM.

Enjay

Banned
Isn't this basically Project Spark with less options?

Why would the average casual fortnite player buy this?
I lost all interest in it because it's been overhyped to the point it's impossible to deliver. People post like pr staff that your kid can just up and make half life 3 or gta vi or the cure for cancer on it with no trouble, and "please note these were definitely not made by professional developers 🤫"

Last edited:
I'm lost all interest in it because it's been overhyped to the point it's impossible to deliver. People post like pr staff that your kid can just up and make half life 3 or gta vi or the cure for cancer on it with no trouble, and "please note these were definitely not made by professional developers 🤫"

Yeah it doesn't make much sense to me. Project Sparx failed because of the complexity being a barrier to get casuals, and limitations. This seems to be even less tools than PS, and it's being hype like a 5 year old kid can make a dream furry platformer or something in 2 days. Like it's some kind of minecraft substitute.

Yeah it doesn't make much sense to me. Project Sparx failed because of the complexity being a barrier to get casuals, and limitations. This seems to be even less tools than PS, and it's being hype like a 5 year old kid can make a dream furry platformer or something in 2 days. Like it's some kind of minecraft substitute.

Never tried Project Spark. What tools did that have that this is missing?

nkarafo

I lost all interest in it because it's been overhyped to the point it's impossible to deliver. People post like pr staff that your kid can just up and make half life 3 or gta vi or the cure for cancer on it with no trouble, and "please note these were definitely not made by professional developers 🤫"
It's like the "Awesome living, breathing city" example a few posts above. It's something that would look cool if you knew a friend of yours made it but would you actually spend time with it as you would in a real game? It looks really bad in that context.

FranXico

Isn't this basically Project Spark with less options?

Why would the average casual fortnite player buy this?
No, it has more options than Project Spark, the only perceived limitations come from the UI that's designed only for a console controller.
And no, of course not, it's for a niche who likes game building tools.

Last edited:

Esppiral

It needs mouse and keyboard support, is super frustrating trying to do the simple of the things with the controller

Last edited:
No, it has more options than Project Spark, the only perceived limitations come from the UI that's designed only for a console controller.
And no, of course not, it's for a niche who likes game building tools.

Everything I seen shows there's less tolls, and there's lack of passing around to collaborate with others. I don't see this being much more of a success.

Tripolygon

Banned
Everything I seen shows there's less tolls, and there's lack of passing around to collaborate with others. I don't see this being much more of a success.
Less tools such as? There's sharing of assets and collaboration. There's online collaboration and multiplayer coming post launch.

Last edited:

Stop Making Sense

Neo Member
I'm really happy with my EA-Purchase. Let alone the Music-Tool, it was worth its 30 Bucks.

Moves are mandatory IMO to sculpt proper, but -> IMO ..and it's more of an easy-Mode for 90 Bucks :messenger_sunglasses::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Strongly wishin for a "Listing of all Objects"-Mode inside a Dream to mark and group Objects.

Any OTs up for Dreams-Scenes made for Things besides the "Games"-Folder? Seems much more interesting than the obvious "Look at Me"-Contributions....e.g. mine:messenger_winking_tongue:

SonGoku

Am I the only one with no interest in creating? game doesn't appeal to me and don't really care about amateur user made creations
Is there like a main game with story here or is the game just creation tools?

Last edited:

Stop Making Sense

Neo Member
Am I the only one with no interest in creating, game doesn't appeal to me and don't really care about amateur user made creations
Its EA. It was meant for Creators to begin with. Full Game with StoryMode + "good" Games of Creators are comin' later.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Strongly wishin for a "Listing of all Objects"-Mode inside a Dream to mark and group Objects.
I'm curious how the devs actually gather feedback these days. LPB 1 & 2 had official forums but Official Forums aren't really a thing anymore. I guess we have to directly suggest them stuff on Twitter now? The only real plus side to that is that it would seem MM are open to suggestions.
So its a full meatty campaign not just an afterthought?
Seemingly it'll be a full thing.

Stop Making Sense

Neo Member
I'm curious how the devs actually gather feedback these days. LPB 1 & 2 had official forums but Official Forums aren't really a thing anymore. I guess we have to directly suggest them stuff on Twitter now? The only real plus side to that is that it would seem MM are open to suggestions.
reddit seems to be a thing... besides the Sony-Mm-Sub. But yeah.. asking myself how they want to get proper Feedback. Maybe with a Survey? Im not :messenger_face_screaming: enough to express my thoughts on reddit:messenger_sleeping:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Am I the only one with no interest in creating? game doesn't appeal to me and don't really care about amateur user made creations

Why do you need to be interested in creating to play games? Odd.

Geki-D

Banned
reddit seems to be a thing... besides the Sony-Mm-Sub. But yeah.. asking myself how they want to get proper Feedback. Maybe with a Survey? Im not :messenger_face_screaming: enough to express my thoughts on reddit:messenger_sleeping:
Are the devs active on Reddit? That's sort of the thing with third party forums; you can suggest stuff as much as you want, but if the devs aren't there it's all pretty pointless. Theoretically with official forums the devs are meant to check them. Though I guess with Reddit being so big, the devs, if they were gonna pay attention to any forum, would chose there.

Personally I hate Reddit's layout, their boards make no sense to me so I don't post there.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I asked because im not sure whether sp is a full fledged game and not just an afterthought
The way this game is advertised promotes the creation part only

Yeah, but those creations are there to play. I haven't made a single thing during EA but I've been playing a whole lot. Whatever you like, it's there. It's not a game, it's a development suite. But you have access to everything people make with that development suite.

Last edited:

SonGoku

User creations are the only reason to play Dreams. It's not a bonus, it's the reason Dreams exists. People have had a few weeks to get used to the tools and after a year the games are going to be AA quality.
That's what i feared, user creations don't appeal me.

SonGoku

So games don't appeal to you? It's a FULLY FLEDGED development suite. What part of that are people not quite getting? It baffles me.
People making these "games" are not professional game designers, just amateur users. Any of those videos you linked dont look anywhere close to full featured games. I rather play one quality indie game than 100 short user projects.

Geki-D

Banned
So games don't appeal to you?
In his defence, whilst the videos you posted look awesome, can you really call them "games" at this point? Besides a whole load of tech demos, Dreams is lacking actual stuff to play (as in has a beginning, middle & end with goals to achieve) and for someone who really just wants to do that, I can understand that Dreams doesn't seem all that appealing right now.

Of course full games take time to make so they'll come but I can imagine pretty much any person who isn't following Dreams coming in to play stuff, seeing a thousand unfinished levels of varying quality (and let's be honest, generally lower than higher), seeing a bunch of stuff to just look at and saying "That's it"?

People making these "games" are not professional game designers, just amateur users. Any of those videos you linked dont look anywhere close to full featured games. I rather play one quality indie game than 100 short user projects.
Amateurs can make amazing things. The issue is that right now on Dreams there's a tendency to publish stuff that's nowhere near in a state for public consumption when it comes to levels and of course anyone really working on anything you would call a full game is still doing so because it's only been out for a few weeks.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Of course full games take time to make
That's important point to make, Indie devs take years working on their solo projects. Just because you have a development suite doesn't mean you can just press a button and be done. Game creation still takes months if not years.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
In his defence, whilst the videos you posted look awesome, can you really call them "games" at this point? Besides a whole load of tech demos, Dreams is lacking actual stuff to play (as in has a beginning, middle & end with goals to achieve) and for someone who really just wants to do that, I can understand that Dreams doesn't seem all that appealing right now.

Of course full games take time to make so they'll come but I can imagine pretty much any person who isn't following Dreams coming in to play stuff, seeing a thousand unfinished levels of varying quality (and let's be honest, generally lower than higher), seeing a bunch of stuff to just look at and saying "That's it"?

Amateurs can make amazing things. The issue is that right now on Dreams there's a tendency to publish stuff that's nowhere near in a state for public consumption when it comes to levels and of course anyone really working on anything you would call a full game is still doing so because it's only been out for a few weeks.

Marbelous was made in 6 weeks, had 4 levels, had a menu system, selection screen, was great to play and took 45 minutes to an hour to finish.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
That's important point to make, Indie devs take years working on their solo projects. Just because you have a development suite doesn't mean you can just press a button and be done. Game creation still takes months if not years.

But with Dreams it takes far less time. It's why developers are calling it a revolution.

Stop Making Sense

Neo Member
Yeah.. thats a def "problem" right now. Its not a good look from the Outside. As a participant it may make sense... but for a Only-Surfer its not. Partly more of of a boredom.

The whole Folder-Organization needs an Overhaul.

SonGoku

Marbelous was made in 6 weeks, had 4 levels, had a menu system, selection screen, was great to play and took 45 minutes to an hour to finish.
Marbelous (mobile) is not exactly what i have in mind when playing a console game. That Sonic video for example looked cool but the actual gameplay reminded me of bubsy3D .
I can see the appeal for others just not for me.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Yes, there are types of games you can make quickly, and the asset share in Dreams help makes things faster. But come on dude, you know that people aren't really looking for small puzzle games and mini games, they're expecting full action adventure, shooter, horror and whatever else games. Stuff with plots, multiple levels, goals and an ending. I know that stuff like that is in the making but it takes way more time.

Yeah.. thats a def "problem" right now. Its not a good look from the Outside. As a participant it may make sense... but for a Only-Surfer its not. Partly more of of a boredom.
Yeah, I dabble in creation, I've tried to do some stuff (but I suck), but I'm mostly in it for play and it's been a bit of a pain to find stuff worth playing. The recommended seems to always be the same, the most thumbed up too and going to recent is just soul destroying to know that most games consist of a quarter finished forest levels (why are there so many forests?) where you run forward for about 20 secs doing nothing and then fall off the level and quit out.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yes, there are types of games you can make quickly, and the asset share in Dreams help makes things faster. But come on dude, you know that people aren't really looking for small puzzle games and mini games, they're expecting full action adventure, shooter, horror and whatever else games. Stuff with plots, multiple levels, goals and an ending. I know that stuff like that is in the making but it takes way more time.

Like the campaign that MM are making? People will better that within the year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom