• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PT and others games recreated in Dreams WTF!!!!

julio_grr

I'm curious how the devs actually gather feedback these days.
asking myself how they want to get proper Feedback.
Theoretically with official forums the devs are meant to check them.

On a side note, I find Marbelous to be the most boring thing ever and would not advertise Dreams with it :)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
That's exactly what I'm saying. I'm saying people need to be patient for the better stuff but I can also recognise that right now the play side isn't all that great.

It is though. This is what confuses me a lot. I still think THE biggest problem is the narrative that Dreams is a game. Once you realise what it is, you begin to 'appreciate' it for that and recognise things don't manifest over night. People are still working on all sorts of game mechanics. I was talking to someone yesterday who is working on a Tombraider game. He's got climbing, sliding, swimming and shooting, all of which don't work perfectly but they're convincing enough for a first iteration. Others are working on scene creation and lighting. Others are working on characters, and simply adding idle animations to make them feel more real. Each of these things will eventually lead to a AA game but each of these things are still well worth the entry fee to see and experience.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
People making these "games" are not professional game designers, just amateur users. Any of those videos you linked dont look anywhere close to full featured games. I rather play one quality indie game than 100 short user projects.
Yes, there are types of games you can make quickly, and the asset share in Dreams help makes things faster. But come on dude, you know that people aren't really looking for small puzzle games and mini games, they're expecting full action adventure, shooter, horror and whatever else games. Stuff with plots, multiple levels, goals and an ending. I know that stuff like that is in the making but it takes way more time.
Y'all are going into dreams with the absolute wrong mindset. I utterly despise puting "games" in qoute. It is akin to saying short indie games or mobile games aren't real games. It's like going on YouTube with the expectation of watching feature length movies instead of the mindset of finding short videos on different things that are enjoyable. I can guarantee you right now that majority of things you will find in dreams are just short one and done experiences that you will enjoy one time and be done with it. That's not to say there won't be absolute gems in the sea of quick put together experiences. There is a reason games takes years to make and even then it is not guaranteed to be amazing, yet some people seem to think amazing full games should already be made in just weeks.

Dreams is a set of tools packaged in a very friendly UI. It's a creative outlet like YouTube but within a game engine. Don't expect an uncharted in it, expect gone home, pool, Tetris, expect those types of games from SNES, PS1 and 2 era. Expect indie type games, expect music and jankyish animated shorts. Talented people will be able to bend the tools and push it to the absolute limit of what it can do but those will not be the majority, just like YouTube.

SonGoku

. It is akin to saying short indie games or mobile games aren't real games. It's like going on YouTube with the expectation of watching feature length movies instead of the mindset of finding short videos on different things that are enjoyable.
and im not interested in playing mobile games on a console, YT is free im not going to the movie theater to watch youtubers. If it was $10 or free i would try these short user projects for the novelty factor alone. As a person with no desire to create a game, dreams just doesn't appeal to me and i know it will get old pretty fast (for me).
There is a reason games takes years to make and even then it is not guaranteed to be amazing, yet some people seem to think amazing full games should already be made in just weeks.
This is what makes me doubt proper full fledged game experiences will come from user creations. That shit takes months if not years at that point why not just make your own game and sell it. Why would anyone with talent work for free to make dream games? and invest weeks and months for nothing in return.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I like a lot of your videos, but why did you put on that voice thereby making this unwatchable?

Tommy's Mystery Act 2: The Mystery Story With A Difference

Tommy's Mystery is a mystery story that unfolds weekly. Each week a clue or two is placed within the narrative that slowly reveals Tommy's character and through that, the story of Tommy Biggles.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
User made creations are a bonus thing not the main draw for me
Its not my intention to shit on the game, just not for me i guess.
I think where you go wrong is by considering Dreams a "game".
It's not, it's a game-engine and its tools are geared towards the PS4 console.

Even at GDC, MediaMolecule stopped calling it a game and named it a game-engine.

It has a gaming-aspect to it, but that's not the "point" of Dreams.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Isn't this basically Project Spark with less options?

Why would the average casual fortnite player buy this?

This game isn't for the casual fortnite player. More like the hardcore Minecraft player.

I think where you go wrong is by considering Dreams a "game".
It's not, it's a game-engine and its tools are geared towards the PS4 console.

Even at GDC, MediaMolecule stopped calling it a game and named it a game-engine.

It has a gaming-aspect to it, but that's not the "point" of Dreams.

When the game is "officially" released, it'll need to be viewed as a "GAME" if it's going to be successful. Hopefully their single player mode will be good.

Last edited:
This game isn't for the casual fortnite player. More like the hardcore Minecraft player.

Like Project Spark which failed because consoles have limited options for game creation tools compared to computers. I'm already well aware this isn't for casuals, as I clearly implied, that's the issue, that it will be for a niche that wouldn't do this on a console. You need the casuals for such a thing to succeed. It's the only reason why Minecraft is as big as it is.

mckmas8808

Banned
Like Project Spark which failed because consoles have limited options for game creation tools compared to computers. I'm already well aware this isn't for casuals, as I clearly implied, that's the issue, that it will be for a niche that wouldn't do this on a console. You need the casuals for such a thing to succeed. It's the only reason why Minecraft is as big as it is.

Didn't Minecraft sell well on consoles? What was it in your opinion that got casual console players to play it?

Tripolygon

Banned
Project Spark failed because it was terrible, not the tools but the way it was put together and the business model of many things being put behind paywall and it doesn't help that it lacked flexibility and or didn't provide tools for users to really carve out a visual identity for themselves. They were similar to Little Big Planet in that regard.

When Project Spark officially launched in October 2014, the initial download was completely free, but it was also very limited. You could play through the (mediocre) story mode with one character or play through hybrid creation/mission mode Crossroads (again with only one character), but only some creation tools were available for free.
If you wanted access to everything that Project Spark had to offer, you had to plunk down quite a bit of cash. One year after launch, nearly 50 paid DLC packs were available.
As with our wolf deadlock (still unresolved, by the way) few things bring creativity to a crushing halt faster than being told you don't have something, and Project Spark isn't backwards in coming forwards with things you can't use, but could if you'd just buy some lovely Spark Tokens.

The Starter Pack, for example, will set you back £31.99 and adds a host of science fiction themed props, textures and characters to the game, to go with the fantasy set that comes with the free download. That's still not a lot to play with, particularly where characters are concerned, and the result is that even the user creations that are most ingenious at a code level all feel very generic on the outside.

Dreams throws all that out the window by literally giving you all the tools from the start. There is no paywall. I'm sure media molecule will release DLC packs for some stuff they have created like logic and characters, music in the future but the package right from the start give you everything you need to create your own. You can create your own characters, props, logic, music from scratch or upload a royalty free music as well as use other people's creations in yours with credit being forever tied to the original creator.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
So games don't appeal to you? It's a FULLY FLEDGED development suite. What part of that are people not quite getting? It baffles me.

There's no shortage of good, quality games. In fact, there's already too many for basically anyone to play them all. Why would we get excited to play stuff amateurs goofing around are making in a game within a game?

Geki-D

Banned
Could we spread this very important message?:

Please have us auto possess the character from the start and disable depossession in any case. We shouldn't see our imp in your game, especially if it's meant to be finished unless the imp serves as a gameplay element.

Also sixaxis lean is not mandatory. It makes your character look like a crazy drunk more than anything.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Could we spread this very important message?:

Please have us auto possess the character from the start and disable depossession in any case. We shouldn't see our imp in your game, especially if it's meant to be finished unless the imp serves as a gameplay element.

Also sixaxis lean is not mandatory. It makes your character look like a crazy drunk more than anything.

It's there. It's just that a lot of people don't use it properly. It also falls foul to glitchy loading times sometimes. I've had a word with MM about making the Imp invisible and being able to mute it, just in case.

Geki-D

Banned
t's there. It's just that a lot of people don't use it properly.
I know, that's why I'm asking people actually force it. Didn't know there was a glitch, though most of the time from what I've seen the game just doesn't have it enabled. And yeah, we need to be able to mute the imp possession sound. Some people have managed to get around it but most of the time you can still hear it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I know, that's why I'm asking people actually force it. Didn't know there was a glitch, though most of the time from what I've seen the game just doesn't have it enabled. And yeah, we need to be able to mute the imp possession sound. Some people have managed to get around it but most of the time you can still hear it.

That's what MM said but I pointed out it would be better, for newbs like me who can't do it right just yet, to get around it by making the Imp invisible and being able to mute it. It's not a glitch as such, it's just that sometimes the game doesn't load in on time and you can hear the imp possess the character a split second before the game starts proper.

Geki-D

Banned
That's what MM said but I pointed out it would be better, for newbs like me who can't do it right just yet, to get around it by making the Imp invisible and being able to mute it. It's not a glitch as such, it's just that sometimes the game doesn't load in on time and you can hear the imp possess the character a split second before the game starts proper.
Oh I thought you meant there was a glitch that stopped default possession altogether. That's more what I'm talking about, so many games in Dreams don't have it by default so you have to manually possess. But yeah, we really need a mute.

going by what i've seen, i fear dreams is going to be nothing but a bunch of janky looking tech demos resembling games.

though if people are enjoying making things in it, more power to them

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
GribbleGrunger GribbleGrunger would you mind making a dreams early access ot?

I'm thinking about it. I've been so busy with my channel I've had no time to do anything else. It's so bad in fact that I haven't even had time to create. I'm working on reducing the work load so I can focus more on create and THEN I'll have more time to do other things too. Give me a little while longer so I can plan things out properly.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
LET'S CREATE 1 - Making A Valley. My new series. I create assets, stories and games. I'll be paying particular attention to tone, atmosphere, symbolism and narrative, as well as creating every sculpt from scratch. I start of simple with this episode, creating a base to build upon:

Top Bottom