• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS For All

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The only thing better than a Chicken Dinner, is a FREE Chicken Dinner with your friend. From January 12th, PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS embarks on a new journey; Free-to-play! Invite your friends and assemble your own squad to receive exclusive rewards!

CamHostage

I know we don't talk a lot about PUBG on GAF and so I don't have much reason to bump this thread since we seem to be among the few to take notice of it this week, but...

...PUBG, is the official name really now "PUBG Battlegrounds"?

So, they changed the name of "PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds" and now it's named "PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Battlegrounds" ??

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I know we don't talk a lot about PUBG on GAF and so I don't have much reason to bump this thread since you and I seem to be among the few to take notice of this game this week, but...

...PUBG, is it really now called "PUBG Battlegrounds"?

They changed the name of "PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds" and so now it's called "PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Battlegrounds" ??

I think it may be because PlayerUnknown (Brenden Greene) left to form his own studio.

cormack12

Gold Member
I know we don't talk a lot about PUBG on GAF and so I don't have much reason to bump this thread since we seem to be among the few to take notice of it this week, but...

...PUBG, is it really now called "PUBG Battlegrounds"?

They changed the name of "PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds" and so now it's called "PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds Battlegrounds" ??
Pub-gee

CamHostage

I think it may be because PlayerUnknown (Brenden Greene) left to form his own studio.

Yes, I know, that's part of why they stopped calling it PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds and just went with PUBG, which is what all the kids called it anyway. (There are all kinds of legal matters of PUBG and PlayerUnknown Studios and Bluehole but then also Tencent and its PUBG rights and whatever else.)

I believe they even tried to call it "Battlegrounds" sometime around when he left but they couldn't trademark that, is that correct anybody?

...Just saying, how did that conversation go? "This game that reaches hundreds of thousands of players and racks in billions in profit, sure... but how are people going to know it's about battlegrounds if we don't say so in the title?! Oh, what's that? It's already in the title? Where? I only see a P and a U and a B and a G?"

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS is transitioning to free-to-play starting January 12th and bringing with it some big changes, we got you covered with 5 Things to Know before you dive into the battleground to secure a chicken dinner.

PUBG BATTLEGROUNDS is celebrating the battle royale's transition to F2P by giving away cosmetic items as rewards and access to Battlegrounds Plus for legacy players, and hosting special pre-registration events for newcomers. Whether you prefer to play in FPP or TPP, you'll be looking stylish with the new Battle-hardened, captain's camo, and highslide cosmetic item sets introduced alongside the transition.

Ready to drop into the action? Check out PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS for free on Playstation, Xbox, and PC starting January 12th.

RPS37

Anyone remember when this was supposed to be the Xbox One X (???) killer app that one year?
I totally paid for the beta, instant regret.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Anyone remember when this was supposed to be the Xbox One X (???) killer app that one year?
It absolutely was for a lot of people. It's been my most played game every single year since it came out according to the xbox stats page that gave out awards a month or 2 ago. It's my favourite game of all time by this point.

Orbital2060

It totally was. But it ran like a limp dog and got a lot of trash for doing so, compared to other games like Call of Duty. And it spawned the whole Fortnite thing, where Epic transformed their failed game into a battle royale copy of PUBG. And the rest is history. They made that multiplatform while PUBG stayed an Xbox exclusive for a year or so, and reaped the rewards.

The game itself is brilliant, maybe a case of catching lightning in a bottle which you cant just repeat. I just felt the game was so poorly written that it impacted the way I played it, and my performance. No amount of adjusting the controls would help make it feel good to play, even after the 15 patches or so that Xbox funded.

RPS37

That’s crazy. Apex has been my most played game for the past couple years, ironically.
PUBG was always super janky to me.

Orbital2060

It was super janky even when released on PS4 a year later, with crossplay enabled. That was the same version that Xbox had funded development into, but it still was terrible to play. And the last time I played it, I ran into a lot of cheaters on the xbox version. Both using the XIM to play with kb+m, but worse a lot of cheaters entering singe player games and then teaming up and winning the games.

Still the best BR. But the player count is weak to where I rarely try to play PC Solo FPP (my preferred mode). I mostly just play TPP duos on Xbox when my buddy wants to play. But the Xbox build is still kind of trash. Series X can run 60 fps but at 1080p-ish with the worst aliasing in gaming, or 30 fps 4k. I thought they said something about native PS5/Series X builds around 6 months ago and I was hoping it would be a selling point of the F2P release... but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Here's hoping this leads to a viable FPP solo mode on PC... but people are defaulted to TPP and this feels a couple of years too late.

Hestar69

Still the best BR. But the player count is weak to where I rarely try to play PC Solo FPP (my preferred mode). I mostly just play TPP duos on Xbox when my buddy wants to play. But the Xbox build is still kind of trash. Series X can run 60 fps but at 1080p-ish with the worst aliasing in gaming, or 30 fps 4k. I thought they said something about native PS5/Series X builds around 6 months ago and I was hoping it would be a selling point of the F2P release... but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Here's hoping this leads to a viable FPP solo mode on PC... but people are defaulted to TPP and this feels a couple of years too late.
I really hate that on xbox everyone mostly plays TPP when FPP is 10000000000000% better.

Jesting?? Dude there is no upgrade for PS5/Xbox Series X.

You are stuck with 4k/30 or a performance mode with 1080p/60.
That's some bs. They'e getting billions from mobile version and can't afford to pay some little team from brazil or russia or where ever to do a proper next gen port?

HTK

Banned
Sunk hundreds of hours into PUBG back in it's hayday, get that janky ass game out of my face.

MrFunSocks

Banned
1080p or not, the games absolutely amazing and one of a kind. Lightning in a bottle. 1080p/60fps on Series X is the best way to play the game on console. Hopefully they'll finally patch it for Series X one day, but it's unlikely. They're legit some of the worst developers in the industry lol. Every time they patch something they break another 3 things.

elco

Did they ever actually fix the performance on this thing?
They've made incremental perf improvements over the years. If you haven't played since shortly after launch, it might be worth checking out again if perf was an issue. I only play on a ps5 now, which runs at a steady 60fps. Resolution on the other hand is absolutely terrible. There still no native next gen version.

intbal

I still have no idea what "Free to Play" is supposed to mean.

If I own a copy of the game, I can play it online without a Gold subscription?
Or it's a free game, but you still need to pay for the online multiplayer.
Xbox-specific question.

MrFunSocks

Banned

Xbox-specific question.
Free to download and free to play online. Don’t have to spend a cent.

game was awesome for first 3yrs. I spent many hours with my friends. One of the best MP experience ever on PC.
it definitely was. The pregame lobby chat, the thrill of killing someone in pubg is unlike any other game I played. I also never experienced the nerves in a videogame like being in a top 5 situation with everyone lying prone in grass. Pretty sure a lot of streamers that are famous now got there start with PUBG.

should've been free long ago.

i tried it again recently and it still sucks. the best thing this game done was push Epic to make a battle royale mode for Fortnite.

Xbox-specific question.
it's free to play. you don't need to hand over money. any money you choose to spend is optional.

Last edited:
Will they ever release native current gen versions??

Played the game on my PC rig Ryzen 3700X Powercolor Red Devil 5700XT and the game looks like complete ass on PS4/PS5.

Top Bottom