• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG dev Bluehole concerned over Fortnite's Battle Royale [Up: Background Both Sides]

You don't get high off your own supply
TyL3OJC.gif

Toe-Knee

It won’t much. If Fortnite wasn’t appealing to you before now, I don’t think it will be even with the addition of a battle royale mode.

How odd. It looked terrible to me before and I was thinking about buying pubg on steam but I don't like giving money for unfinished products.

Fortnite battle royale however looks less janky than pubg and has a far more appealing artstyle so I'm there day one. I still have no interest in the core pve game though.

Rymuth

I'm more concern for the fornite devs. Why buy foremite when you're offering a free to play version even if it's different.

Probably counting on whales buying up MTs (cosmetics mostly) to off-set that. Besides, I don't think it's that absurd a strategy that if someone liked the Battle Royale mod, they would check out the main game when it's on sale or something.

Drencrom

Personally glad other devs are taking a shot at the Battle Royale mode, there really is a lot of potential in it.

Just think of BR modes for Battlefield, RDR2 etc

*Splinter

On the one hand, imagine if other game modes like capture the flag had been copyright protected. Imagine if team deathmatch was a game mode limited to a single franchise.

But on the other hand, and perhaps more seriously, it's really fucking dumb of Epic if they've been explicitly referencing PUBG in marketing material. That's just asking for trouble (although I haven't seen examples).

TVexperto

On the one hand, imagine if other game modes like capture the flag had been copyright protected. Imagine if team deathmatch was a game mode limited to a single franchise.

But on the other hand, and perhaps more seriously, it's really fucking dumb of Epic if they've been explicitly referencing PUBG in marketing material. That's just asking for trouble (although I haven't seen examples).

I dont understand how thats trouble

JDB

Banned
I'm surprised how many people here think AAA developers are just going to poop out better BR games than PUBG no problem soon. There's a reason why barely any even touched the survival genre when it became (relatively) big after DayZ. It basically goes against everything a lot of AAA games do these days with regards to accessibility. Also, I think people underestimate how much of a challenge it is to make a BR game with its large amount of players, vehicles and loot on a giant map. It's not as easy as taking The Division and "just adding a BR mode".

Maximo

I'm surprised how many people here think AAA developers are just going to poop out better BR games than PUBG no problem soon. There's a reason why barely any even touched the survival genre when it became (relatively) big after DayZ. It basically goes against everything a lot of AAA games do these days with regards to accessibility. Also, I think people underestimate how much of a challenge it is to make a BR game with its large amount of players, vehicles and loot on a giant map. It's not as easy as taking The Division and "just adding a BR mode".

Its not a matter of "if" its a matter of "when", new games are always improving on previous genres but of course "better" is up to the individual.

Maximus P

Probably counting on whales buying up MTs (cosmetics mostly) to off-set that. Besides, I don't think it's that absurd a strategy that if someone liked the Battle Royale mod, they would check out the main game when it's on sale or something.

The main game is going to be free too when it comes out of Beta.

I was playing Fortnite last night. Its very barebones at the moment but i understand that there are updates coming that will add more weapons, loot drops and cosmetics. Cosmetics is probably where they plan to make their money.

Haunted

Don't think the PUBG guys have a leg to stand on here, legally.

They might be able to prevent other companies from using their own copyrighted name in promotion material and I'm not even sure of their rights extend that far.

Rymuth

Trouble, how?

HowZatOZ

Banned
My only problem is the half-assed nature of Fortnite but that's only due to it still being in-development, like PUBG. Honestly, it is business as usual like others have said. When you have a frenzy whipped up on a somewhat new genre you bet your ass other devs are coming for that money.

As it always is, the winner will be the one who makes it the best. People will fondly remember PUBG but they won't stick around if it doesn't keep offering a good gameplay experience. Just because you are the "first" doesn't mean you suddenly retain users.

Hell I'm keen for Fortnite if they can fix the shitty ballistics and loot system, can't say no to a free game. And I'm someone whose put nearly 300 hours into PUBG.

Don't think the PUBG guys have a leg to stand on here, legally.

They might be able to prevent other companies from using their own copyrighted name in promotion material and I'm not even sure of their rights extend that far.

In the UK you can mention competitors in your advertising as long as what you say is factually correct. Many don't do this, as why spend money to even mention your competitors (even if you are saying you perform better than them). Of course, this doesn't account for quoting articles others have written comparing your product to another, as that's just fair game.

sibarraz

Banned
I dont get why everyone says that bluehole is fucked as soon as an AAA dev enters the game

Riot wasnt exactly a big company when lol started, but since they were able to have a big start advantage, they secured the genre even after big companies like valve, blizzard and even warner bros and EA created a moba later.

PUBG sold 3 million units in China, and by the time than an AAA releases a BR game, Bluehole would already have a more polished game with a big userbase who will not want to lose their progress just because a bigger company entered the game

Par Score

I guess this update is just being ignored?

So the first thing that I'd like to clarify is that this is not about the battle royale game mode itself. There were other BR gamemodes earlier this year that were released, like last man standing or GTA 5's battle royale game mode, and we never raised an issue, and I think it's great that there's more competition and everyone should be able to create their own battle royale game mode, and it's not about the idea itself, it's about Epic Games.

So, battle royale is just about last man standing, it's a simple game mode, and we're not claiming any kind of ownership over the game mode or genre itself, it's not for us to even comment. There were a lot of copycats in China and [in that] industry there is a lot of battle royale games that look exactly [the] same as ours, so we will definitely look into similarities if there are different products that are very similar to our game, but even before we actually looked deeper into how similar [Fortnite Battle Royale] is, we wanted to raise an issue because this is from Epic Games. We could be the biggest indie success story that they have and there will be other indie developers that aspire to succeed like us using Unreal Engine, and they would be concerned, right? So we just wanted to raise an issue and let people know that it can be a problem.

So, we just want to emphasize this only a problem because Epic Games is the company that makes the engine we use and we pay a large amount of royalties to them. And we had this business relationship and we had trust that we would be getting continued support, and we were looking forward to working more closely with them to get technical support, maybe develop new features. But our name was used to officially promote their game without our knowledge. There was no discussion. It was just a bit surprising and disappointing to see our business partner using our name officially to promote the game mode that is pretty similar to us and there was misunderstanding in the community that we're officially involved in the project.

The problem here is an engine provider acting as a competitor, leveraging technical improvements and support to undermine a partner and customer.

Imagine this completely hypothetical situation, which bears absolutely no resemblance to anything Epic is doing right now, nor anything they have done many times in the past:

• Bluehole and Epic work together to improve the way Unreal Engine 4 handles 100 player servers.
  • Before these improvements are deployed into UE4 proper, Epic begins using them in their own UE4 products like Fortnite.
  • Epic gains a competitive advantage over Bluehole on the back of Bluehole's own work, with Fortnite: Battle Royale performing better than PUBG thanks to these improvements.
  • The implementation of these improvements in UE4 is repeatedly and mysteriously delayed.

KonradLaw

The hypocrisy is amazing. From a game built off the backs of others, to being concerned about a game being inspired by them.

Huh? This is game designed by the guy who spearheaded the entire genre. And most of all, this doesn't seem to be about similiarities of ideas. Afterall they didn't have problem with other BR games. It's about Epic using PUBG's name to promote it's own game as well (and likely primarly) about suspicion they might be using some of the code taken from PUBG, since Bluehole worked directly with Epic to improve the engine to make it more suited to this type of game.

KonradLaw

I dont get why everyone says that bluehole is fucked as soon as an AAA dev enters the game
Yeah. Those big companies almost never manage to upstage the ones that started small and then had their games crazy big. If even Valve couldn't come anywhere near close to LoL, despite having Steam and Dota brand, then there's no way in hell Epic will beat Bluehole.

The only real concern is console space. This is where Epic might succeed, but on PC PUBG is already too entrenched

The problem here is an engine provider acting as a competitor, leveraging technical improvements and support to undermine a partner and customer.

Imagine this completely hypothetical situation, which bears absolutely no resemblance to anything Epic is doing right now, nor anything they have done many times in the past:

• Bluehole and Epic work together to improve the way Unreal Engine 4 handles 100 player servers.
  • Before these improvements are deployed into UE4 proper, Epic begins using them in their own UE4 products like Fortnite.
  • Epic gains a competitive advantage over Bluehole on the back of Bluehole's own work, with Fortnite: Battle Royale performing better than PUBG thanks to these improvements.
  • The implementation of these improvements in UE4 is repeatedly and mysteriously delayed.

That’s a made up scenario though and isn’t what this is even about.

Should epic not be allowed to make any game that is in the same genre as one made by someone using their engine? That seems to be what you are suggesting.

Epic make games as well as an engine, you are suggesting they are stealing work from other developers and rolling it into their own games without any approval or anything. That’s a big stretch from what’s actually been said.

*Splinter

I dont understand how thats trouble
I'm interested in Fortnite only for the battle royale mode. By the time PUBG gets around to releasing on PS4 I (and many others, of course) might not even need it thanks to the clones that released before the original.

That's tough shit for Bluehole as you can't really prove it, but then I'd think marketing something as "like PUBG" would be grounds for some kind of legal challenge.

Trouble, how?
I could also just be wrong on this (and again I haven't seen the examples of Fortnite's marketing). Those examples you give feel different to what I'm imagining though. "Our game makes Halo look shit" is different to "Our game is just like Halo but Halo isn't on this system yet! Buy our game if you want to play Halo but can't!"

Shifty

Just had a read through, and honestly this sounds like some serious grasping at straws. The guy talks his way around every single question and the one solid point he makes is "they referenced PUBG in their promo material".

For instance, he mentions how their success means they have to pay Epic a lot in royalties. Yes? And?
You knew the licensing terms as soon as you picked UE4, and they're perfectly fair: 5% of gross revenue after the first $3000 per product per calendar quarter.
You can even contact them directly to negotiate custom terms and reduce the cost if your project becomes successful enough to warrant it.

He also talks like those big royalty payments should entitle them to some kind of preferential treatment. Unless you negotiate custom terms that say as much, no, you don't get preferential treatment.

And then he says "we're not claiming any kind of ownership over the game mode or genre" in one paragraph before moving on to implying (in a very roundabout way mind you) that they should be paid a license fee for the battle royale idea, ignoring the fact that H1Z1: KotK and The Culling came about before PUBG was even a thing.

Oh and this part
C.H. Kim said:
We could be afraid when we make new features in the engine by modifying it internally, that is not already available and public, that feature could be leaked, or other things could happen.
is bullshit. If you make modifications to the engine source, they're yours. Internal. Not forced to be shared with Epic unless you make the conscious decision to send them in as a pull request on github or commit them to a private branch they've given you access to.

Take modifying the engine to support 100 network players as an example. From my experience 'working with epic on a feature' generally means getting advice from the appropriate team and doing the implementation yourself.
So if Bluehole wrote the code and gave it willingly to Epic under their open-source program, Epic are the ones who decide when it's ready for public consumption. If Epic wrote the code, then surprise surprise the same applies.

To me, it says a lot that Bluehole chose to put out press releases and start shit instead of keeping quiet and opening a direct dialogue with Epic first. The whole thing stinks of PR warfare.

Imagine this completely hypothetical situation, which bears absolutely no resemblance to anything Epic is doing right now, nor anything they have done many times in the past

Sorry, my sarcasm detector is broken. Is this sarcasm?

GodofWine

All they said, on a blog, was basically 'we love BR games like PUBG and thought fortnite would make a great foundation for our own version of BR'...something like that.

Alexious

All they said, on a blog, was basically 'we love BR games like PUBG and thought fortnite would make a great foundation for our own version of BR'...something like that.

Exactly. It's ridiculous for Bluehole to even imply that somehow meant customers could be thinking the PUBG team had anything to do with Fortnite development wise.

*Splinter

Ah, something like that sounds probably fair enough?

Exactly. It's ridiculous for Bluehole to even imply that somehow meant customers could be thinking the PUBG team had anything to do with Fortnite development wise.
I don't see any customers thinking that, is that what Bluehole implied? If so it (along with any nonsense about Epic owning UE4) sounds like extreme grasping at straws.

Fortnite is going to make sales off the back of PUBG's success, I don't think that's really up for debate. The question is whether or not Epic have done enough in their marketing to allow Bluehole to sue (which seems unlikely).

Slayven

Being a competitot is not undermining, unless you have a superior product.

That doesn't make sence, it happens all the time. Doesn't Samsung provide apple with all kinda of chips? How many car makers sell their engines to reveal car makers?

Alexious

Ah, something like that sounds probably fair enough?

I don't see any customers thinking that, is that what Bluehole implied? If so it (along with any nonsense about Epic owning UE4) sounds like extreme grasping at straws.

Fortnite is going to make sales off the back of PUBG's success, I don't think that's really up for debate. The question is whether or not Epic have done enough in their marketing to allow Bluehole to sue (which seems unlikely).

When they used your name, was that in official promotional materials?

Sammie Kang: It was in their promotional video that was posted on Twitter and they would openly mention that they were fans of PUBG, we wanted to make this battle royale game mode, and that kind of gave the impression that we were officially involved in this.

So they were giving the impression that you guys were on board and were a part of this, and in no way were you.

Sammie Kang: Right, and there were players like, "Oh it's cool, now we get to play PUBG in Fortnite", and there was nothing we could do about it, because it was depicted that we were officially involved.

http://www.pcgamer.com/pubg-exec-cl...t-about-the-idea-itself-its-about-epic-games/

Yeah this is digusting behavior from epic as a engine owner

gypsygib

Pretty much every FPS game is going to have a BR mode by next year. The mode is popular and pretty easy to implement into existing games.

JDB

Banned
Pretty much every FPS game is going to have a BR mode by next year. The mode is popular and pretty easy to implement into existing games.
I don't see how it would be easy to implement for most big FPS games right now unless they aggressively scale it down.

Justified

If they work together, why can Bluehole reap the benefits, and not Epic? Unless they have a contract addressing that

Yeah, it was the engine angle that stuck out most at me, personally.

It's not exactly the same thing, but remember how on the Wii (or even the DS), Nintendo wouldn't allow developers to use features of the consoles, until suddenly they would bring out a game that did it themselves, then all of a sudden it was ok, maybe even limited then? Blast Works using the SD Card slot, or Metal Slug Anthology using the Classic Controller? Even on the Wii U the SD Card slot was heavily restricted... except when Smash 4 wanted to use it.

Epic serving as both the platform licenser and as a games developer, using the names of one of their licensees to promote their own competing product really does put them in an unfair position.

Bluehole sure is being petulant. Their roundabout way of approaching direct questions with answers that are nothing more than misdirection and glancing blows doesn't go unnoticed. Their argument for this nonsense is about as air-tight as a sieve. They got nothing.

FyreWulff

Games have namechecked games not even remotely owned by the publisher before

53718_front.jpg

In fact, using a competitor's product name and imagery is outright allowed, as long as it's in a certain context. "PUBG is running on Unreal" is a factual statement and would stand up in court.

Top Bottom