• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG has #1 peak population on Steam beating out Dota 2 & CSGO

yuraya

A lot. Mario Kart Wii is at like 35 million, no?

Not for this generation.

Halo 5 and Uncharted 4 are the biggest sellers so far I would assume. Roughly the same as what PUBG is now. Those games were also heavily bundled so its not even all that impressive.

rugioh

Banned
Feels good to be on the PUBG train compared to CS:GO, the devs quickly react and listen to the community somewhat. CS:GO remains tone deaf about meta changes and tournament format input from the competitors that are lining their pockets and do little about the rampant cheating going on in upper level MM.

Tovarisc

So can anyone joking about Valve making clone soon even put it into words why PUBG is such huge hit in its current state of development? Even PU can't explain it when asked and just says "I'm just making game I want to play" and that is go-to answer of any developer.

I think it's great to make funny, but it kinda blows my mind that no one can really grasp this thing and explain it why PUBG is pushing these numbers on PC.

JDB

Banned
So can anyone joking about Valve making clone soon even put it into words why PUBG is such huge hit in its current state of development? Even PU can't explain it when asked and just says "I'm just making game I want to play" and that is go-to answer of any developer.

I think it's great to make funny, but it kinda blows my mind that no one can really grasp this thing and explain it why PUBG is pushing these numbers on PC.
I mean H1Z1 already pulled good numbers, but did so with - in my opinion - vastly inferior moment-to-moment gameplay, less content and a fairly clueless developer.

Mifec

the momentum this game has is immense

A lot. Mario Kart Wii is at like 35 million, no?

My mistake should have specified as in this current gen so xbox 1 and ps4, hell switch is fine too but it already passed Zelda.

Probably means this gen.
The +1 million would make sense then, because U4 was at 8.7 million the last time we got a number and PUBG is at 8 mill.

Yup I was basing it on UC4's 9mil figures.

It's the first actual good battle royale game. I never played the Arma mod version but Arma is known as a mil sim so it's probably too realistic for most. H1Z1 is way too arcadey, plus has annoying shit like being able to stock up on 10 extra helmets.

It's the go to answer for any developer but that's mostly just PR non-sense. You know it's true with PU because he's been doing this for awhile. The genre exists in gaming because of him. Do we really believe The Coalition wants to pump out Gears games forever or Polyphony wants to do Gran Turismo?

If this games will come out in early November on Xbox One and does not get delayed until 2018, it should become the best selling titel of 2017 (total units)

sibarraz

Banned
I wonder if microsoft knew in what they were getting into it when they secured the temporary exclusive of the game.

Even if is temporary, they are releasing the game on consoles at the perfect time

How soon can we expect Valve to make a clone?

Not because they're jealous of it's success, but because Valve's market strategy for the last few years has just been chasing trends instead of being a trend setter.

Tagyhag

uh, unless Mario and Zelda mess each other up, it'll be one of those two. Bayo2 already won. So your point is wrong

next year will probably be RDR2 or GoW though (is TLOU2 2018)

That's a good point, but Bayo 2 came out in a shit year. It would 100% not win in a year like this.

Not to mention that you should compare the PS4 numbers to 2014 and 2017. It almost quadrupled.

That should be Destiny 2, CoD and Fifa. Battlefront 2 is this year as well no?

i do not expect any of those games to sell above 20 million copies this year
and CoD should be the best selling out of that group. it could come close

as i said PUBG is very popular in China, Korea and Japan
all those games you mentioned won't do much or anything over there

Hylian7

Was just a matter of time. Is there a reason for Dota 2 not gaining more through the years ?

I believe it has over the years, mostly as more and more people started playing it in general.

Others have said it does require a time commitment though, and they are right.

That said the time commitment is totally worth it.

tesqui

How soon can we expect Valve to make a clone?

Not because they're jealous of it's success, but because Valve's market strategy for the last few years has just been chasing trends instead of being a trend setter.

If anything they should've hired PlayerUnknown when he was still making a mod. That's what they've done for all there games besides Half-Life.

Renekton

All three games are famous for being noob-killers.

This proves that games don't need to pander to casual mainstream to succeed.

Riposte

But is it GotY material

20b.gif
Of the ten games on that list, none of them have won GAF's voted #1 GOTY. Neither did Pokemon Go, which dwarfs this. Not sure why people think copies sold has anything to do with it.

Well deserved, it's killed my appetite for all other games, except maybe occasional bouts of Rocket League and Overwatch.

Only thing stopping me playing more is that my 3570k isn't quite cutting it where there is a lot of buildings, hurry up with Coffee lake Intel.

Aselith

Was just a matter of time. Is there a reason for Dota 2 not gaining more through the years ?

Yeah, it's a very difficult game to learn. PUBG is also a hardcore game but just the act of shooting/looting/running around is pretty easy to learn (and difficult to master).

The things with Dota is that the number of combos and abilities and game knowledge things are just very high so I think that has kept the playerbase down some. That said it grew steadily for a long time and just recently has leveled off a bit

http://steamcharts.com/app/570#All

And Valve just added this to the Dota 2 website.

CGtUe3s.png

Considering they specifically refer to hours they could still make that claim based on total hours played/ possibly hours spent month / other metrics that I'm not thinking of

That's not what he was getting at though.

When some people said this was their GOTY, some other people reacted with frustration because they failed to see how an Early Access/non-console/indie-title could be seen as GOTY-material.

No reasonable person is frustrated with the idea of the bolded. Undertale was GotY for many in 2015.

As for the Early Access part, sure. And I actually think that's reasonable. I doubt many sites will even put PUBG up for consideration if it doesn't leave Early Access this year. Does GAF allow Early Access titles to be nominated? (Edit - I checked and the answer is no) Fortunately, they're aiming for it to become a full product by the fall.

Aselith

lol come on I can understand not caring for the game, but it's literally one of the simplest concepts in the world.

It's "last man/team standing."

Yeah, it's just high stakes deathmatch. One thing that I think is REALLY helping drive it's popularity is the low downtime. Being able to immediately requeue and get into a match helps make it extremely easy to dismiss losses. If you had to wait a few minutes between, I think it would really deflate the game's fun factor.

TheMan

You could do the same with text chat. I don't think the inevitable assholes who spam it with nonsense are reason enough to not have it at all. I think it'd be a nice addition.

for some reason people give all kinds of stupid reasons why text chat couldn't be added, when in reality, all their idiotic complaints could be applied to voice chat. And there are workarounds for voice that would work for text chat too. Makes no sense. It's almost like they've never heard of filters.

cyba89

Going by its recent growth rate, it'll probably be like only a week or so til it hits 1 million+ concurrent.

I would assume you have this big growth rate in the last few because the limited gamescom crate drops expire today. I expect it to slow down a bit after today. Next weekends peak might be lower than todays.

Disagreed, I don't see how it matters whether it's early access, an expansion pack or an update. If it's fun and significantly different than anything else, why should it be disqualified?

They can release 1.0 today with no significant changes and all of a sudden it's valid GOTY-material. Makes no sense to me.

Well, it's possible some outlets will be ok with that, but NeoGAF historically does not allow for an Early Access title to be nominated. So, unless the game leaves EA this year (which appears likely), it's probably not going to make GAF's GotY list. Whether that's fair or not is up for debate. I think it's perfectly fair.

JDB

Banned
As I said to the poster above, why should it be added? What's the purpose?

I wouldn't mind an optional text-chat, but since it serves no purpose, why not encourage voice chat instead?
Communication for people who don't/can't use a microphone? It's not rocket science. Saying it serves no purpose is silly. Even in CS:GO is has limited purpose and PUBG isn't nearly as fast paced as that game anyway so it would be more useful.

Top Bottom