• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG has #1 peak population on Steam beating out Dota 2 & CSGO

JDB

Banned
ebbcbc7f19f248c622f059b097d0a374.png

The growth of this game has been pretty insane:

191fead59d35685111d380937574689e.png

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
It's a great game with friends, but with all the streamers and YouTube stars playing it and the fact that it's at a good price point, means it was always meant for success

But above dota ? That's insane

RPGam3r

It's a great game with friends, but with all the streamers and YouTube stars playing it and the fact that it's at a good price point, means it was always meant for success

But above dota ? That's insane

I don't think it's too insane to be above Dota. On paper PUBG seems like a far more inviting experience. Dota being as high as it is the more insane part.

Tagyhag

Yep, it beating not only a f2p game but Valve's most popular game is insane.

I'm not expecting LoL numbers but this is still nuts.

The ๖ۜBronx;247101602 said:
Is this victim complex a thing, even if you're just using it as a joke?

Well numbers-wise there are more PS4 players on GAF than anything else, so a game that can't be played on it won't win GOTY.

is it cross-play with steam users?

I'm all for cross platform play when it's appropriate. But in this case, hopefully, not. It really isn't a game that can be balanced well between PC and console platforms. Either the controller users deal with serious disadvantages or the PC version is compromised to level the playing field artificially.

Syf

Banned
Growth continues with no peak in sight. Just a couple days ago I was posting about being impressed with it at 740k. No telling how high it'll go and it's well deserved. It'll continue to have a large following of shitposters on here claiming they don't get why it could possibly be so popular until it comes to consoles though lol.

ElFly

This game's popularity makes me feel old cuz I don't really get it.

I don't play it but been watching a bit

it's p fun because the game is always different, due to how the game pushes you to a random area every time by encircling players in the map

there's also a bunch of strategy and luck involved, so it is not only necessary to be good at shooting. you can win without killing anyone, with just a little luck involved

Basically Riot advertised the fuck out of League and Valve did next to nothing.

The lower barrier to entry helps as well. DotA is notoriously difficult and obtuse to get started in. League isn't exactly easy but the skill floor is much lower

Sentenza

This game's popularity makes me feel old cuz I don't really get it.
It's fun to play, fun to watch, it's built on a cool concept, it's easy to pick up and hard to master.

It may not be your thing, but there really isn't any weird mystery behind its popularity.

So... What are the breaking news here? The game is an unstoppable money maker and streamer paradise land.

It doesn't surprise anybody.

low-G

It's been a long time since a good game was popular on Steam. Happy that the mainstream has some taste for the time being.

100% is more than 30%. My guess is that Valve is going to either make their own or just buy out the developer.
Maybe make their own but tencent has sunk slot of money into bluehole already. No way they'll allow valve to pick them up

Edit: hmm looks like there were follow-up stories with bluehole refuting that tencent is involved. Would be interesting if valve could get a piece of a Korean company

Top Bottom