• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG is now the biggest game on Steam in history | over 2m CCU, beats Dota 2 peak

ScOULaris

I don't get it. Every time I've played the game it's a total jank-fest. I know that it's still Early Access, so I'm not holding that against the eventual final product. I just don't get how so many people find enjoyment with the game in its current unfinished state.

I don't get it. Every time I've played the game it's a total jank-fest. I know that it's still Early Access, so I'm not holding that against the eventual final product. I just don't get how so many people find enjoyment with the game in its current unfinished state.
The game is not janky at all though which is why people like it over actual jank like arma.

Jawmuncher

I was playing a few months ago and outside optimization still (though I can manage 50fps on medium consistently). There wasn't really anything janky about it. Outside moments of lag which affects like any mp game.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
tOO BAD The game is so shitty excuse me while i go back to my round of pubg

Not sure if it can win any GotY awards when it'll likely be drowned out by >insert niche game from Japan<.
Not sure you understand what "niche" means, more often than not being niche hurts a games chances, such as how Bayo2 clearly should've won the year it came out over Dragon Age. The only big Japanese game that I'd call niche this year was maaaybe nier? Even then it sold way more than your average niche game and Mario and Zelda probably have a better chance than it does, which are most certainly not niche.

So when are the clones for this puppy coming in? Or have they already started? New genre?

I can guarantee that every medium-sized publisher and up is looking into making something similar. It's irresistible because PUBG is such a rough diamond of a game, and everyone who's played it for more than ten minutes has all sorts of ideas on how it could be improved.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Brendan Greene - pioneer of the genre - modder turned game developer - who probably spent the better half of a decade paying for servers and doing a crazy amount of work from ArmA II, to ArmA III, to H1 and finally, to PUBG... Finally hitting the nail on the head causing a behemoth nobody understands.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Wow, this game is on par with Destiny 2 for the CCU despite that Destiny 2 is on both XBox and PS4.

Yu Furealdo

Can't wait to play this on Xbox.

If it gets M&KB support with a separate playlist for crossplay, I could see it getting huge on that platform.

I mean it is if your setting are on Very Low.
Let's not kid ourselves. It's not a great looking game. But it looks good enough and is fun as hell. Certainly beats H1Z1.

That said, the Fortnite BR is actually super fun and also looks fantastic.

causing a behemoth nobody understands.
I certainly understand it. The concept is addicting as hell. I never played a game that made me say "just 1 more game" as much as PUBG does.

Scrawnton

I'm afraid the popularity of this game will be read the wrong way. All publishers are going to learn from this is that it is okay to release unfinished games with microtransactions.

As much as I like PUBG, it does a lot wrong that I think big publishers will try to take advantage of as well.

Seriously. As popular and new PUBG is, it has real serious competition from other envelope pushing and polished games in Zelda and Mario. Heck even Horizon (not Japanese) is stiff competition for PUBG and I don't think even that holds a candle to Zelda.

Pretty incredible accomplishment, and good on the devs for not just taking the money and running, I'm not normally one for multiplayer shooters but I have a much better time in this one than most due to simply how many different ways you can play. I only see it continuing to grow too thanks to the constant Dev support. As for GOTY talks, I think I'd almost rather see it go up next year when it exits early access and more people on console have gotten to play it, not to mention it's already pretty packed this year and think any other year it would be an easy win.

eizarus

Banned
How is it so popular? I mean it's an early access game with one made (right?) and the minimum requirements mean you need a mid-range PC (no?). Why is this train so unstoppable?

Well done to it though, that's impressive as hell.

Scrawnton

Pretty incredible accomplishment, and good on the devs for not just taking the money and running, I'm not normally one for multiplayer shooters but I have a much better time in this one than most due to simply how many different ways you can play. I only see it continuing to grow too thanks to the constant Dev support. As for GOTY talks, I think I'd almost rather see it go up next year when it exits early access and more people on console have gotten to play it, not to mention it's already pretty packed this year and think any other year it would be an easy win.

I agree with this. If the new gameplay mechanics, maps, and overall quality optimization hit this year and it exits early access it is a serious contender, but if all of that hits next year then I think it should be considered for 2018.

redfox088

Banned
I'm thinking PubG is this years overwatch and it will undoubtedly win many game of the year awards. I think a game winning GOTY solely off of its popularity is a bad idea tho. I'll play it before I make my decision, because I felt the same way about Nier before I played. Here's to hoping it's selling so well and generating these CCU because it is actually a really interesting and well built game not just a really popular social experiment or pure streaming goldmine

Stevey

I refuse to buy it or even look into it because the title in all capital letters irritates me.

Congrats to the devs though

Usobuko

Banned
When I look at Cross Fire and LoL numbers from the OP, it's only show how small the supposedly "heavyweights" on PC are. CSGO and Dota are like little leagues but towers head and shoulders above most AAA console games with actual longevity to boot too.

Cross Fire and LoL are like so far beyond catching up. I look up World Championship this year for LoL and it seems that the competitive scene has penetrate even deeper in obscure regions.

redfox088

Banned
I'm afraid the popularity of this game will be read the wrong way. All publishers are going to learn from this is that it is okay to release unfinished games with microtransactions.

As much as I like PUBG, it does a lot wrong that I think big publishers will try to take advantage of as well.

Seriously. As popular and new PUBG is, it has real serious competition from other envelope pushing and polished games in Zelda and Mario. Heck even Horizon (not Japanese) is stiff competition for PUBG and I don't think even that holds a candle to Zelda.
Zelda the first try on a new take on a 19 year old formula and though it is without its flaws it mostly sticks the landing and that's why it's still my GOTY, but Horizon and Nier and P5 are all games I wrote off. I went back and played those games after Zelda and I see the appeal. I'm wondering if most of the people screaming "GOTY" have done as I have a made an attempt to actually play the other contenders....I'll have to try this when it drops on Xbox before I make a choice.

I bought it, all my friends play... I don't get it. Janky as heck and runs like crap while looking like something from a couple years ago. The concept is ok, but eh, I can't play more than a couple matches before I'm bored

How is it so popular? I mean it's an early access game with one made (right?) and the minimum requirements mean you need a mid-range PC (no?). Why is this train so unstoppable?

Well done to it though, that's impressive as hell.

It's a great story-generator. Packed with moments of terror and elation. Every game is unique. And it is incredibly fun to play with friends.

It's also getting regular (monthly) major updates, which keeps the early access community engaged. This counts! I've played many EA games where updates dropped every other month or less.

wipeout364

But I don't understand, I was told in another thread this game was Overrated would sell minimal copies on Xbox and that it would be overshadowed by gran turismo and MARIO. How could this be?

Top Bottom