• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG is now the biggest game on Steam in history | over 2m CCU, beats Dota 2 peak

But the combined number of ps plus and xbox gold users still lower than the number of the Steam user.

https://galyonk.in/your-target-audience-doesn-t-exist-999b78aa77ae

" Classic ”core gamers" — the ones that play most major hits or jump from indie game to indie game — are relatively rare when compared to overall gaming audience.

In fact, 1% of Steam gamers own 33% of all copies of games on Steam. 20% of Steam gamers own 88% of games. That's even more than Pareto principle suggests.

So, to be a member of the ”1% group" of Steam gamers you have to own 107 games or more. That's not much considering how Steam is selling games at discount prices and how easy it is to obtain games in bundles.

We're talking about 1.3M PC gamers that could fall into definition of ”core gamer that buys several games per year". And that's including discounted games as well.

Of course we could extend it to, I don't know, ”softcore gamers" — the 20% that own 88% games. To be included you'd have to own 4 (FOUR) games or more on Steam — not exactly a huge number, right?

Let me repeat it once more, because it's really important.

Various studies suggest that there are 700–800 million of PC gamers. It's probably true, but it doesn't mean much for your game. Because if you're developing a downloadable game for Steam you're not even fighting for 135M of its active users,

you're fighting for the attention of 1.3 million gamers
that are actually buying lots of games.
"

Spacejaws

My playtime ja pretty much making a bitching steam controller setup. I'm really happy with it...until the next big update fucks it.

Just testing the config in a match and I got 4 kills, mosty I've ever had is 2 and shadowplay fucked up aaaaah!

CookTrain

I'll be laughing so hard when i see GAF reaction if this game mamaged to win GOTY 2017.
lol

What a crazy situation to be in. By all accounts, people are throwing hours and hours into this game and the player base reflects that...

... why would people be surprised that a game that a lot of people are enjoying spending a lot of time with is GOTY fodder? Is it a games as art thing or something? Don't we play to have fun?

What a crazy situation to be in. By all accounts, people are throwing hours and hours into this game and the player base reflects that...

... why would people be surprised that a game that a lot of people are enjoying spending a lot of time with is GOTY fodder? Is it a games as art thing or something? Don't we play to have fun?
It's because Gaf will have a meltdown if their single player GENERATION DEFINING AAA titles like Zelda and Persona 5 are toppled so easily by a $30 indie multiplayer shooter.

See also last year with Overwatch salt.

https://galyonk.in/your-target-audience-doesn-t-exist-999b78aa77ae

" Classic “core gamers” — the ones that play most major hits or jump from indie game to indie game — are relatively rare when compared to overall gaming audience.

In fact, 1% of Steam gamers own 33% of all copies of games on Steam. 20% of Steam gamers own 88% of games. That’s even more than Pareto principle suggests.

So, to be a member of the “1% group” of Steam gamers you have to own 107 games or more. That’s not much considering how Steam is selling games at discount prices and how easy it is to obtain games in bundles.

We’re talking about 1.3M PC gamers that could fall into definition of “core gamer that buys several games per year”. And that’s including discounted games as well.

Of course we could extend it to, I don’t know, “softcore gamers” — the 20% that own 88% games. To be included you’d have to own 4 (FOUR) games or more on Steam — not exactly a huge number, right?

Let me repeat it once more, because it’s really important.

Various studies suggest that there are 700–800 million of PC gamers. It’s probably true, but it doesn’t mean much for your game. Because if you’re developing a downloadable game for Steam you’re not even fighting for 135M of its active users,

you’re fighting for the attention of 1.3 million gamers
that are actually buying lots of games.
"

wow thanks. didn't know that article yet
very good read...

Neo_MG90

This is absolutely bananas.

The growth of this game is phenomenal and there is no sign of slowing down.

I don't know if this has already been posted but here is a comparison of playerbase growth between PUBG and Minecraft.

DI-NOXNW4AAN1Lr.jpg

I'll be laughing so hard when i see GAF reaction if this game mamaged to win GOTY 2017.
lol

I'm honestly kind of upset that a Souls or (proper) Naughty Dog game didn't come out this year.

Could you imagine if this beat Bloodborne 2 or The Last of Us 2? The forum would just explode. There would be actual fatalities.

Scrawnton

I'll be laughing so hard when i'll see GAF reaction if this game managed to win GOTY 2017.
lol
For what it's worth, it'll probably win GOTY on gaf. NintendoGAF will be split between Zelda and Mario. PlaystationGAF will be split between Horizon, Nier, Persona, and Uncharted. XboxGaf and PCgaf will choose PUBG.

kadotsu

Banned
What is it with people deriving enjoyment out of some speculative reaction to the speculative perceived slight of their current favorite game winning a press award. Then again, sitting in the plane with those people and having voice chat turned on it doesn't seem all that weird.

fourfourtwo

Neo Member
Does this beat Call of Duty MW2/BO1 around Christmas time in 2009/2010 (for most people concurrently online in a game)? I recall seeing 1m+ online concurrently, but I'm not sure if this was combined between PS3/360. It might well have been 2m+ between the two.

Jumeira

Banned
I'll be buying this on my X. Amazing considering. didn't know what this game was until 3 weeks ago (around gamescon)

luulubuu

I'll be laughing so hard when i'll see GAF reaction if this game managed to win GOTY 2017.
lol

HAHA Same! I will laugh so hard when a ficticious award that anyone can claim names this game that I like better game than rest!

EVEN IF THEY DONT SHARE EVEN THE PLATFORM, PREMISE, MECHANICS OR GENRE!

GET BENT, GAF!

biggest /s ever

watership

Everyone will stop playing when it comes to Xbox. Then everyone will start playing again when it comes to PS4. Gaf told me so.

For what it's worth, it'll probably win GOTY on gaf. NintendoGAF will be split between Zelda and Mario. PlaystationGAF will be split between Horizon, Nier, Persona, and Uncharted. XboxGaf and PCgaf will choose PUBG.

PC- and XboxGaf is just not big enough
and you know GAF GOTY is points based?

so NintendoGaf will vote Zelda and Mario either #1 and #2

Uncharted was a 2016 game
it's Horizon and Persona for SonyGaf. Nier is likely lower

oti

Banned
lol

I'm looking forward to "Video games: The Website" giving PUBG GOTY in 2017. Since we know, only one website gives out GOTY.

What is up with Juniors going so hard into this narrative?

Scrawnton

This is where I'm at as well.

Zero interest in online shooters myself, but PUBG winning 'Gaf GOTY would be an incredible coup.
The game has sold 10million copies in the 9th month of the year. It's hardly a coup. A coup would be if it dropped in October and the hype took it to victory because of it being fresh and new. It's been around long enough to prove its point and still be taken seriously.

XSX

I can't play it until I get an Xbox or PC but I wouldn't be sad to see it take home the GOTY. Well deserved. What a great success story.

Never played it, from a glance it looks like Day Z which i always intended on playing at some point.

What separates it and makes it special from similar games?

0racle

I never played the game, is it meant to play in third person all the time? I take it your at a huge disadvantage to play in 1st?

Blam

THE TRAIN NEVER STOPS.

I never played the game, is it meant to play in third person all the time? I take it your at a huge disadvantage to play in 1st?

There is 2 distinct modes for the game FPP which is first person and just third person which lets you switch between both.

Top Bottom