• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG is now the biggest game on Steam in history | over 2m CCU, beats Dota 2 peak

Yes I too enjoy bringing up games from more than half a decade ago. Keep in mind ME2 is my favorite game of all time.

2016: Uncharted 4
2015: Bloodborne
2014: Bayonetta 2
2013: The Last of Us
2012: Journey
2011: Portal 2
2010: Mass Effect 2

Only two Japanese exclusives there mate.

Though you're correct that GAF loves single-player games where NPCs blather all the time. And that console exclusives tend to have an edge. PUBG, a PC-exclusive (for now) gamey-game is indeed at a disadvantage (although Zelda and Mario are generally also gamey-games, so the most likely winner here will Horizon).

Though you're correct that GAF loves single-player games where NPCs blather all the time. And that console exclusives tend to have an edge.

I mean I was just saying that GAF likes Japanese games and single player exclusives from Sony. Period. Anything else will not get GOTY here.

Tambini

Am I right in thinking this game is fairly unoptimized and difficult to run? How much could sales increase if it was really well optimized

I mean I was just saying that GAF likes Japanese games and single player exclusives from Sony. Period. Anything else will not get GOTY here.

It's just console bias. Nintendo makes Japanese games, Sony makes Sony games, GAF is a console-oriented forum. You do the math.

fanboi

Banned

Though you're correct that GAF loves single-player games where NPCs blather all the time. And that console exclusives tend to have an edge. PUBG, a PC-exclusive (for now) gamey-game is indeed at a disadvantage (although Zelda and Mario are generally also gamey-games, so the most likely winner here will Horizon).

Damn, I have only played Bloodborne, and only for a short period of time.

It's just console bias. Nintendo makes Japanese games, Sony makes Sony games, GAF is a console-oriented forum. You do the math.

This is the reality. GAF is primarily a console-centric community Portal 2 and Mass Effect 2 were kind of the exceptions, but honestly not really, as they were huge console releases as well.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Though you're correct that GAF loves single-player games where NPCs blather all the time. And that console exclusives tend to have an edge.

Outside of Mass Effect 2, which did it make it over to PS that year or announced?

Every title was either a Nintendo exclusive or a Sony Exclusive( or Strong preference over the console competition)

Basically, PUBG is on the two systems that under preform here when GOTY comes around, while being an MP centric title.

PUBG isn't even close to my GOTY this year (it's been a wild year), but it just confuses the fuck out of me to see people (esp those who haven't even played the game) freak out over its success.

"I just don't get it!"

It's not hard to get. People enjoy the game. Da End.

PUBG isn't even close to my GOTY this year (it's been a wild year), but it just confuses the fuck out of me to see people (esp those who haven't even played the game) freak out over its success.

Not on consoles (yet) : check
Not single player : check
Not AAA : check

Combined with the recent surge in online-only multiplayer games as a service, it's just reasonable if people are starting to feel insecure with PUBG success. Just take a look at online or GaaS-oriented threads in GAF, you can easily find the usual insecurity posts from people who have no interest in those games. As mentioned above, Overwatch also faced the same fate here being an online-only game with no single player.

Some people seem to take 'single player games are dying' myth seriously.

Fitts

"I just don't get it!"

It's not hard to get. People enjoy the game. Da End.

Yeah I'm one of the people that doesn't get it but I'm not about to shit on others' good time. I love the battle royale concept, but the execution is more.... safe than l would prefer. I feel like the game would've been much better if it didn't focus on standard shoot-bang fare. Instead, make it melee focused with something like a grand total of two guns (with one clip each) randomly generated on the map. Also, make vehicles extremely scarce (again, 2 seems like a good number) with limited fuel. (but make it so more can be scavenged) Give people the motivation to constantly move/explore/engage rather than drop in->find nearest gun->camp rinse and repeat. Make it feel like finding loot is actually special but force the player to consider how limited of a resource it is.

Still, we've seen other games starting to adopt the concept due to its success and that's an awesome thing. More competition/variety in any given sub genre is good for everyone.

PUBG won't win GOTY on GAF. Which is fine.

It's still the game I put the most hours in this year, which is impressive.

Breath of the Wild
Horizon Zero Dawn
Dead Cells
Prey
Hollow Knight
PUBG

It's going to be extremely difficult for me to choose....

Tbh going by this thread I feel like the reaction will be more extreme from the people that want it to win if it doesn't than the other way around.

Phenomenal numbers and very good for the industry, you can be small and become a juggernaut almost with word of mouth plus Twitch / YouTube. Still find the game boring doe.

Wereroku

read the OP

there need to be a definition first, what PC can run PUBG and what PC not

after that is done, you can look how many of the 260m Steam User (Accounts) have a capable enough machine
Ah sorry must have missed that I saw the rest of the charts. Still doing insanely well and super fun to watch.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
congratulations i guess. i want to see what the fuss is with this game. £27 isn't much but until it drops to <£15 then i'm not buying it. "well have fun waiting" yeah...i'm not desperate to play it or anything lol. from what i've seen of the game there is nothing to suggest why it has done so well.

iXILGZR.png

PUBG is a good counter example of a mediocre game doing well.

This is a good example of a mediocre post

Nzyme32

iXILGZR.png

Except it isn't mediocre to a lot of people - just like MOBAs aren't mediocre to a lot of people.

More on point this is a reference to Larian, specifically making story based singular projects rather than sprawling service based games - so the logic is sound in context rather than pointless image quotes

Regarding NeoGAF GotY, correct.

It probably applies to most outlets as well, as I would assume they would only nominate games they have reviewed.

That seems pretty arbitrary, if you pay money for something and put countless hours into it then imo it should be enough to at least be considered as a pick for GOTY. The amount of games that are released at retail nowadays that drip feed you content over the year or have time constrained events is something akin to an EA game, for me anyway.

The rules are the rules I suppose though.

iXILGZR.png

This is a super hilarious claim given that PUBG is actually taking the exact same route (long-term Early Access as a vehicle for driving massive word of mouth) as D:OS did.

Countdown until Valve hires "PLAYERUNKNOWN" and releases Battlegrounds 2 with hats?

Why would PU want to work with Valve when he can work with a company that develops games instead?

That seems pretty arbitrary, if you pay money for something and put countless hours into it then imo it should be enough to at least be considered as a pick for GOTY. The amount of games that are released at retail nowadays that drip feed you content over the year or have time constrained events is something akin to an EA game, for me anyway.

The rules are the rules I suppose though.

It may seem arbitrary, but it makes sense. By releasing a game in Early Access, the developers themselves are communicating pretty strongly that their game isn't finished. It's not really fair to evaluate a game that is in an unfinished state. If all Early Access titles become eligible for GotY consideration as soon as they're released, that disqualifies them from consideration in the year the final product actually launches (if it's outside the year it initially released as an Early Access title).

And yes, I understand the argument that many GaaS titles are never really "finished", but Early Access goes beyond even that.

Since when was GOTY based on sales?

I cant wait for it to come to XBox one but it doesnt even look like a GOTY type game, maybe multiplayer GOTY

I think Overwatch already bucked the trend that multiplayer games can't win "prestigious" GOTY awards. PUBG will likely buck the trend that EA games can't, especially since the continued trend of games as service seems to be blurring the line between EA and full retail releases anyway.

Oh, it is, it's completely arbitrary. But the whole "GOTY" concept is calibrated to the model that used to apply to everything (a singular release that might get patched a bit but is basically representative of the game in its "final" state) and harder to pin down when a game can come out, be changed massively over months or years, and not even be considered "finished" until some uncertain point after it's available for sale. Setting the official "release" as the date it qualifies for awards just lets us have a single standard that applies to everything and gives the devs some level of control over when they signal their game is "ready" to be reviewed. It's arbitrary but any other standard would also be arbitrary in some sense.

Oh, it is, it's completely arbitrary. But the whole "GOTY" concept is calibrated to the model that used to apply to everything (a singular release that might get patched a bit but is basically representative of the game in its "final" state) and harder to pin down when a game can come out, be changed massively over months or years, and not even be considered "finished" until some uncertain point after it's available for sale. Setting the official "release" as the date it qualifies for awards just lets us have a single standard that applies to everything and gives the devs some level of control over when they signal their game is "ready" to be reviewed. It's arbitrary but any other standard would also be arbitrary in some sense.

Listen to this man. He's laid it out far better than myself.

Fitts

Why should GOTY be based on anything other than how much you enjoyed a particular game? I really don't see how any other criteria matters.

Struct09

Having played a lot with my friends it's not too surprising that it's catching like wildfire. It's a game that makes you want to recruit more of your friends, who will then recruit their friends, and so on.

Head.spawn

I'm still mad I listened to gaf with Journey and bought that, that game was overhyped like crazy.

2012 games better than Journey:
FEZ
Far Cry 3
Mass Effect 3
Dishonored
Max Payne 3
Borderlands 2
Sleeping Dogs
Spec Ops: The Line
CoD: Blops 2
Mark of the Ninja
Dragons Dogma
Forza Horizon

As far as I can tell, GOTY was based on loony pills that year.

Listen to this man. He's laid it out far better than myself.

I do get it and I wasn't looking to say that the rules should be changed or anything its just that PUBG is an anomaly, there isn't another EA game that can push the needle like it has and there probably won't be another anytime soon.

I wonder if it still captures and keeps this momentum when it gets "officially released" next year?

I wonder if it still captures and keeps this momentum when it gets "officially released" next year?

It will probably stay insanely popular and successful for a long time to come.

It's also very possible the game officially launches this year. That's the current plan, at least publicly.

Top Bottom