• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG is now the biggest game on Steam in history | over 2m CCU, beats Dota 2 peak

Venfayth

The bigger inflating number would be the bots farming for crates, especially now that there seem to be scripts that bypass the inactive-BP-gain-blocker.

Arulan

I dont question the success, but I do think the total sales are inflated by people who got banned, and rebought the game multiple times.

This comes across as another Steam starts up on boot on my Uncle's computer. Stating that you believe something like that, meaning that somewhere around a million users (for it to be significant) would have had to be banned and then bought the game again, is absurd if you have no supporting evidence whatsoever.

I'm curious if this game would have sold as well if it wasn't $25? I've always held the argument that many games would actually make more money if they released at a lower price. Had PUBG been $69.99 out the gate, would it still have been such a huge hit?

I dont question the success, but I do think the total sales are inflated by people who got banned, and rebought the game multiple times.

Inflated by a significant amount? How many people do you think have been banned? The game is nearing 2 million CCU. The sales are 13+ million, the percentage of the player population playing at a single moment in time is astoundingly high. If some significant portion of the population is just banned player rebuys, that CCU is even more crazy. Truth is though, that the percentage of permanently banned players is a tiny fraction and the number that paid an additional $30 to rebuy is even smaller and represents an insignificant blimp compared to total sales.

Venfayth

Do we have any stats for where these players are from? I'm curious how significantly Asia is dominating these CCU numbers.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Do we have any stats for where these players are from? I'm curious how significantly Asia is dominating these CCU numbers.

ZjHFePl.png

Owner data from Steamspy

That wouldn't have an effect on the game smashing concurrent player records though.

daaamn, seems like this really struck a chord with people.

It's a frustrating game. It's a buggy game. But damn if the concept isn't compelling. The rush I get from this game is like none other. Fortnite BR is great, but it's much easier to win so I don't get the same thrill. In PUBG, I get more of a rush just killing someone in the top 10 than I do winning a game of Fortnite. The gunplay in PUBG is just so much more difficult to master that I rarely win the final 1v1.

The bigger inflating number would be the bots farming for crates, especially now that there seem to be scripts that bypass the inactive-BP-gain-blocker.

tenor.gif

Thanks guys. What's up with China having more players than owners? Account sharing?

Chinese players play the game more than other regions. I think it'd be something like that:
In other regions about 75% of owners play the game, while the rest sit with it on their library. While in China 97% of owners play the game. And as there are more Chinese owners than other regions, that skews the player numbers.

Let's say PUBG sold 10 million, but there are "only" 9 million players.
Chinese owners correspond to 30%, 3 million. BUT, out of those 3 million, 2.9 million play the game. The percentage of Chinese players is higher than Chinese owners, out of the total.

prag16

Banned
Yep, just like kids owning 3-4 copies of Minecraft on different platforms, Minecraft is only half as popular as it actually is in reality.

Get outta here. iirc they said they've banned a couple hundred thousand accounts or so. That's 1-2% of purchasers. Of that 1-2%, even less actually turned around and rebought (much less multiple times).

PUBG derangement syndrome continues to run wild.

juicyb

Seems like Fortnite didn't have as much of an impact as people predicted. Is that game released everywhere in the world?

Also, of all the people I know that play PUBG, we are all currently still playing. It's crazy. We haven't even given Fortnite a second look. Honestly don't think it will have a big impact on PUBG moving forward

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No it's very straightforward, net cafe culture in China is massive, not everyone can afford even run-of-the-mill rigs to play PC games. A single net cafe computer with PUBG might see 5 players over the course of a day.

At least that's how I interpret it. My only doubt is how Steamspy can differentiate players from owners.

Aters

No it's very straightforward, net cafe culture in China is massive, not everyone can afford even run-of-the-mill rigs to play PC games. A single net cafe computer with PUBG might see 5 players over the course of a day.

At least that's how I interpret it. My only doubt is how Steamspy can differentiate players from owners.

To be fair, most of them log into their own account when playing in net cafe.

MUnited83

For you.

Steamspy looks at people that actually own it, aka have it registered to their profile.

Yazzees

rofl, are people pulling out the "people getting banned all rebought it 5 times over" shit?

reminds me of when dota's numbers were explained away as people "idling for cosmetics" even though that wasn't a thing

Venfayth

Ha the bots and banned account truthers always show up at some point

To be clear, there are absolutely bots inflating the count, and I believe it's a greater number than banned-cheaters-rebuying-their-accounts, but it ultimately is 1) a symptom of the growth and success of the game to begin with and 2) is most likely a marginal number in the overall scheme of things

https://pubgtracker.com/leaderboards

All the WG-qun and KJ-qun are using cheat software that is advertising it to other players.

Again, I'm not trying to take away from the game at all or say that it's success isn't as valid, just pointing out that these are real things happening in the game

To be clear, there are absolutely bots inflating the count, and I believe it's a greater number than banned-cheaters-rebuying-their-accounts, but it ultimately is 1) a symptom of the growth and success of the game to begin with and 2) is most likely a marginal number in the overall scheme of things

https://pubgtracker.com/leaderboards

All the WG-qun and KJ-qun are using cheat software that is advertising it to other players.

Again, I'm not trying to take away from the game at all or say that it's success isn't as valid, just pointing out that these are real things happening in the game

Bluehole needs to go HARD on these fuckers. Fucking cheaters.

bobeth

What a world! I never played PUBG and probably never will, but it's been great to follow the phenomenon and feel the enthusiasm. Aren't videogames great?

What a world! I never played PUBG and probably never will, but it's been great to follow the phenomenon and feel the enthusiasm. Aren't videogames great?

Yup. On the same boat here. I have 0 interest in PUBG but this is such a blessing to the video game industry.

PUBG is a phenomenon that will ve remembered for years if not decades.

BigDes

I had thought it was going to be 2million players by Christmas

Now I wouldn't be surprised if it was 2 million players by Halloween.

EDIT: Oh fuck scratch that, 2 million today is likely

Top Bottom