• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica |OT| - It's a magical girl anime!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

2mzwsix.png

24f9v82.jpg

10q9fdw.png
What is Puella Magi Madoka Magica?

Well what does it look like? It's a cutesy magical girl anime of course! Basically think Sailor Moon and you've got a good idea of the basics of this show.

10q9fdw.png
Wait, anime? Little girls? WTF I'm not some pedo I'm not watching this.

Yeah yeah, we've all heard it before, and there are obviously many shows that exploit this particular genre as nothing more than a bunch of cheap otakubait fapping material, but I'm happy to say that, as of the first three episodes, the only real bit of creepiness is a 10-second scene in the OP, so I wouldn't worry about getting on any government lists.

If you just hate shows starring little girls in general, then that's just your loss I guess.

10q9fdw.png
Okay, so what is this show about?

Middle schooler Madoka Kaname(pink hair above) is your protagonist, who has no real talents to speak of but has a drive toward making the world a better place. She and her best friend Sayaka Miki(blue hair) stumble upon the existence of magical girls, sworn protectors of the world who fight "witches", powerful creatures who feed on despair around them. They ally themselves with one of these magical girls, Mami Tomoe(yellow hair), a strong and confident fighter with a great deal of experience who takes a caring mentoring interest in our heroes, although she tends to lose her head in battle if she's not careful. The main source of her power is the mysterious creature named Kyubey, who can grant any wish in exchange for contracting an aspiring candidate as a magical girl. Madoka and Sayaka are given this opportunity by Kyubey, and will find their lives changed forever as a result. But there is opposition in the form of Homura Akemi(black hair), another magical girl whose primary goal is making sure that Madoka will never be able to get her wish.

10q9fdw.png
That sounds generic and boring.

Hey now I'm not exactly the best person to be pitching these shows, but I try! I will say, based on the plot of the first few episodes and the production staff involved, I think it'll end up being a pretty good show to watch, and well worth at least taking a look at considering the general (terrible) quality of most animes this winter season.

10q9fdw.png
So who's working on this again?

The production company is SHAFT, known for such works as Hidemari Sketch and Pani Poni Dash. The director, Shinbo Akiyuki, worked on the first season of Magical Lyrical Girl Nanoha, another magical girl series. The character designer, Ume Aoki, also worked on Hidemari Sketch, and the main writer, Gen Urobuchi, also worked on a few interesting projects here and there. They're all pretty good at what they do.

10q9fdw.png
I don't know...

Give it a try! It's only just started and you might enjoy it. If not, no one will hold it against you. Kyubey will definitely be sad if you don't watch, and how can you say no to a face like this?

vx234o.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Lol wtf that makes Dynasty Warriors look realistic.

::goes to watch 2 and 3::

jman2050

MrBig said:
I'm not sure why all these animes keep getting their own thread when there is a super thread

IIRC seperate threads for anime series at our discretion was actually a mod mandate. So blame duckroll if you must!

Branduil

Incidentally, this is the first time Shinbo and Yuki Kajiura have worked together since Le Portrait de Petit Cossette. If you've ever seen that, Madoka has a lot of stylistic similarities.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
MrBig said:
I'm not sure why all these animes keep getting their own thread when there is a super thread
The super thread is a bit daunting to any newcomers not initiated in the ways of Strike Witches, SHAFT being SHAFT and 7th's own brand of insanity. As the P&S and Kuragehime threads from last season have shown, a dedicated thread can be more inviting and promote more controlled discussion, as opposed to the insanity that is the Anime thread.

MrBig

Halycon said:
The super thread is a bit daunting to any newcomers not initiated in the ways of Strike Witches, SHAFT being SHAFT and 7th's own brand of insanity. As the P&S and Kuragehime threads from last season have shown, a dedicated thread can be more inviting and promote more controlled discussion, as opposed to the insanity that is the Anime thread.
I didn't understand anything in this post so I'm going to assume you're right.

Joule

Those eyes D: D: D:

I've been reading that Madoka wiki and it's pretty interesting what people have managed to decipher from the show.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
MrBig said:

If anything, this and wondering boy is the only show this season that deserves its own thread. The super thread now can go back to talk about old anime, and how crappy this season is.

trejo

First time in years I find myself actually interested in a magical girl show.

Frankly, Madoka and Miki haven't shown much magical girl potential yet. At least Mami has a good head on her shoulders.

jman2050

trejo said:
First time in years I find myself actually interested in a magical girl show.

Frankly, Madoka and Miki haven't shown much magical girl potential yet. At least Mami has a good head on her shoulders.

Yeah, I get the sneaking suspicion that Madoka is biting off more than she can chew.

Mirimar said:
Why not watch Mitsudomoe?
What's that? I've stayed away from anime in the longest time. I've always said that "I'm too busy", but that was an excuse. I predominantly read manga...

From the sounds of it, a moe fanservice anime? :lol

Branduil

jman2050 said:
Yeah, I get the sneaking suspicion that Madoka is biting off more than she can chew.
She'll be fine I think. You can tell her parents have raised her well, she has a good head on her shoulders.

Anyone who thinks this is "just another pedo magical girl show" needs to watch episode 3. Seriously. Very disturbing stuff.

Edit: ^ Heh, nice discussion going on there.

Kettch

Episodes 1 and 3 were awesome, 2 was enjoyable though more of a bridge episode. Definitely has the potential to be the best show in years.

I absolutely love SHAFT's art style. Their shows are just so interesting to watch.

Kettch

7Th said:
Fixed that for you. Give credit where credit is due.

I wasn't talking about the witch's maze art, though it's awesome as well. More the real world environments, they're even more impressive than they were in Bakemonogatari.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
cosmicblizzard said:
I wonder if they're gonna take
Mami out of the OP. Them keeping her there would be kind of mean. Or maybe they'll bring her back with a wish or something?

Madoka will wish for her to be revived.

Mami will come back... as a witch.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
cosmicblizzard said:
I wonder if they're gonna take
Mami out of the OP. Them keeping her there would be kind of mean. Or maybe they'll bring her back with a wish or something?
episode 04 is called
"There are Miracles and Magic"
, so im leaning towards option 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom