• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pulse the one hour weekly news show of G4TTV is on NOW!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Continuing my pimping of my favorite G4TTV shows, Pulse is on. It's an hour long, so you actually have time to catch it now. You dig games? You dig news? You dig gaming news? Watch Pulse. NOW!

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
wow so it's a whole hour of reading press releases off a prompter now?!

----

Banned
Pulse is okay, but not really that great. The hosts are terrible, the news is usually days old, and the set is piss poor. Some of the news stories and features are okay. The new host Kevin Peirera (sp?) is extremely annoying. Basically he thinks he's Chandler Bing, I mean "Can he, get anymore sarcastic?" He also looks like a dork, which really makes me want to kick his ass. I hope they completely rework Pulse get a few new hosts/reporters and turn it into a decent show.

Best G4techTV shows are:

1. G4TV.com
2. Judgment Day
3. Icons
4. Electric Playground
5. Cinematech
6. Players
7. Filter
8. Fresh Gear
9. Pulse
10 The Screen Savers
11. X-Play

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
---- said:
Best G4techTV shows are:

1. G4TV.com
2. Judgment Day
3. Icons
4. Electric Playground
5. Cinematech
6. Players
7. Filter
8. Fresh Gear
9. Pulse
10 The Screen Savers
11. X-Play

This is why I wished the merger never happened. I'm guessing you had G4 before and not Techtv?

---- said:
Best G4techTV shows are:

1. G4TV.com
2. Judgment Day
3. Icons
4. Electric Playground
5. Cinematech
6. Players
7. Filter
8. Fresh Gear
9. Pulse
10 The Screen Savers
11. X-Play

*gag* I feel so sorry for all the non-gamers that lost so many programs after the merger. TSS that low? Pfft, it goes on top of all the interest tech stuff they talk about. And pulse higher than that meh? Am I the only one interested in things other than gaming? That's why I watched TechTV.

GDGF

Soothsayer
The Screen Savers is definitely one of the best shows on G4TTV. I was lucky and had both channels, too.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DarthWufei said:
*gag* I feel so sorry for all the non-gamers that lost so many programs after the merger. TSS that low? Pfft, it goes on top of all the interest tech stuff they talk about. And pulse higher than that meh? Am I the only one interested in things other than gaming? That's why I watched TechTV.

Same here man. It's cool that there's a channel dedicated to video games and all, but the bottom line is that there's only 1 show that really interests me from the G4 lineup (that show being Icons). The other shows just don't interest me. I don't even know why the merger existed to begin with, imo the two demographics for each channel are different. One audience is into video games and the other is in technology

THIS is what I'm getting for tech news? "Tech block"? Let's see if it's worth it at all, but what I wanted were the hosts as well.

Well, I am pleased that there was a pretty decent inclusion of tech related news... but wow, that sure wasn't very much. Again the network shows it's leaning more towards gaming than tech.

B.K.

Wario64 said:
This is why I wished the merger never happened. I'm guessing you had G4 before and not Techtv?

I had Tech TV before the merger and I'm watching it more now that I ever did before. I like G4's shows a lot more than Tech TV's shows. I never did have G4 before the merger, I've got Direct TV and it carried Tech TV.

----

Banned
Wario64 said:
Nope I had TechTV, not G4. I'm also watching the channel more now than I ever did before. I really wanted G4tv very badly, to the extent that I was willing to have people send G4 shows over the internet to my ReplayTV.
TSS that low? Pfft, it goes on top of all the interest tech stuff they talk about. And pulse higher than that meh? Am I the only one interested in things other than gaming? That's why I watched TechTV.
Well I'm a hardcore gamer, so all things gaming supercedes any other aspect of technology. I'm a tech freak too, but video games are the most enjoyable and entertaining aspect of technology. I think most people would agree.

If TSS was more than a glorified informercial for Apple and Linux I might like it more. Unfortunately watching a bunch of pathetic souls try to sell the world on the Mac and Mozilla instead of all things Microsoft is not my idea of a good time. The free file of the day from Roger Chang on Call for Help was the most useful aspect of TechTV.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Wario64 said:
Same here man. It's cool that there's a channel dedicated to video games and all, but the bottom line is that there's only 1 show that really interests me from the G4 lineup (that show being Icons). The other shows just don't interest me. I don't even know why the merger existed to begin with, imo the two demographics for each channel are different. One audience is into video games and the other is in technology

Yup.

I just freely left it on Tech TV before. Invent This, Fresh Gear, Tech Live, Screen Savers, Call for Help, Xplay, Spy School, Future Fighting Machines, Conspiracies, etc. ALL good, watchable shows. The vast majority of G4 shows that migrated over aren't even properly informed about the material they cover, let alone entertaining. It feels like my favorite hobby is being insulted, as is my intelligence. G4TV.com makes me wretch. Two hilariously uninformed host, and one guy that has a bit of knowledge of what he's talking about, but can't run the show properly while 'debating against the other two idiots. And of course, there's Tallarico.

On another note, TSS has gone down in quality since Leo left. I haven't seen a 'new' episode in a long while either. Guess G4 wanted to make it like its own shows huh?

----

Banned
Wario64 said:
I don't think so, I've been watching every single episode of X-Play, TSS, C4H, and Fresh Gear for the last 2 years. Doesn't mean it was better than G4's programming. I never had the choice before, but both subjects are extremely interesting to me. Games more so than security patches available for Windows XP.

Like I said those are the best shows on G4, I didn't list all the shows that I hate.

G4TV.com makes me wretch
:D That's like my favorite show on tv right now, period. Reason enough to want G4, I love that show and I love the hosts of that show. I used to watch Psuedo's All Games Network (AGN shows) streamed over the internet during the late 90's, I was thrilled when I saw them back on tv. Those two girls are the smartest, coolest female gamers I have ever seen and they make the show so much fun to watch. Most girl gamers I've heard from are usually into the geeky/fruity anime or fantasy aspects of video games, but these chicks actually like cool games, violent games, shooters, etc. G4tv doesn't compare to AGN though; that was something really way ahead of it's time.

Mairu

---- said:
:D That's like my favorite show on tv right now, period. Reason enough to want G4, I love that show and I love the hosts of that show. I used to watch Psuedo's All Games Network (AGN shows) streamed over the internet during the late 90's, I was thrilled when I saw them back on tv. Those two girls are the smartest, coolest female gamers I have ever seen and they make the show so much fun to watch. Most girl gamers I've heard from are usually into the geeky/fruity anime or fantasy aspects of video games, but these chicks actually like cool games, violent games, shooters, etc. G4tv doesn't compare to AGN though; that was something really way ahead of it's time.
Jesus christ, no wonder you like Tommy Tallarico and Judgment Day. G4TV.com is probably one of the worst shows on television. AGN used to be pretty cool, but he's gotten worse and worse since G4's creation and now is just another fanboy but this time on television. Tina is one of the fakest "gamers" on that channel. She's been saying the same things about the same games since the beginning of that show.

It boggles the mind that someone could name G4TV.com as their favorite show on television... Their "community involvement" with that show has been diminishing since the beginning, they should just get rid of that whole gimmick. Calling in is pointless, you say what they want and they'll cut it all out anyways... There are so many problems with that show that it makes me angry thinking about it.

The new host Kevin Peirera (sp?) is extremely annoying. Basically he thinks he's Chandler Bing, I mean "Can he, get anymore sarcastic?" He also looks like a dork, which really makes me want to kick his ass. I hope they completely rework Pulse get a few new hosts/reporters and turn it into a decent show.
He looks/acts like a dork because he is a dork. I may not like him either, but he's more of a gamer than any of the other hosts (save maybe AGN) on the channel

----

Banned
Just because you're a dork that doesn't make you more of a "real gamer." Most people that play video games are not dorks. This is not a niche hobby anymore. I know there are a lot of dorky gamers out there who think everyone who is into video games is like them, sorry to break it to you but that is not reality.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Who gives a fuck if the guy is a dork or not. He actually seems to know his stuff, and that is cool. I've watched him across three shows (G4TV.COM, Arena, and now Pulse) and he's always been the champion of the gamers game. The nich titles that strive on being unique game playing experiences. He was also part of the reason Arena started doing more than just first person shooters in their show. He's one of the more knowledgable guys of the original G4 cast (perhaps the most)

That's the problem though, you're thinking selfishly. There are people who watched TechTV for tech you know, and not games. G4TechTV is supposed to be both tech and gaming. But I obviously a lot more gaming going on than any tech. I also can't figure out why we're still getting reruns of TSS, it's disappointing. Plus CFH got canned, best of TechTV and no CFH? PLus I enjoyed the other little documentary shows that didn't make it.

Secondly I find any encouragement of Linux and Mac over a Windows a damn good thing. But it's not like that only do that, majority of the free files and such are all windows. If anything CFH was more of your Windows show, while TSS was more about Linux/Mac. Is that a problem? I credit TechTV for much of my knowledge of these lesser known, and IMO, better platforms. Hell, I can even see some good reasons to switch over to Linux on my next PC.

I think it's rather sad you don't encourage more tech based shows on G4TechTV seeing as the ones whow ere hurt most by the mergers were the tech only people. Meh, so much for them getting a channel to tune in eh? Also, what about all the people who aren't geeky at all who enjoyed CFH because they helped them explain things, simple or not, about their computers. I don't see this on the new network. Hell, it seems very anti-middle age or older crowd. While TechTV was pretty all around IMO. Well, except very young audiences, but neither channel was that.

----

Banned
Lost Weekend said:
Who gives a fuck if the guy is a dork or not. He actually seems to know his stuff, and that is cool. I've watched him across three shows (G4TV.COM, Arena, and now Pulse) and he's always been the champion of the gamers game. The nich titles that strive on being unique game playing experiences. He was also part of the reason Arena started doing more than just first person shooters in their show. He's one of the more knowledgable guys of the original G4 cast (perhaps the most)
Because he's annoying. His commentary is annoying. I can't watch any television program he is on without wanting to change the channel within 5 seconds. Anyone who is that obnoxiously condescending and sarcastic and looks like that much of a nerd deserves to have their head flushed down the toilet repeatedly. :D I just don't care for tv personalities who relish the fact that they are nerds and then play up to the stereotype any chance they get. I don't think most normal tv viewers would like to watch an Urkel type of host for extended periods of time. He scares away viewers, he's not a good host.

"He was also part of the reason Arena started doing more than just first person shooters in their show"

Great so now we know who to blame for Mario Kart Double Dash contests interupting Socom 2 and Unreal competitions. Why would anyone who knows anything about LAN parties or anyone who takes professional video game competitions seriously be happy about injecting games like that into the competition? And Arena is one of the worst shows I've ever tried to sit through in large part because of his irritating commentary.

That's the problem though, you're thinking selfishly. There are people who watched TechTV for tech you know, and not games.
The top rated show on TechTV was X-Play, so I guess even the TechTV viewers mostly wanted to watch video games too. And what about people who watched G4TV for you know, games? Forgot about them huh? Since I didn't have it prior to the TechTV buyout, I don't know how much of G4TV's programming has had to be cut or scaled back to allow for TechTV. I do know that this is G4TV's house that TechTV is staying in and that it's absurd to expect G4 to sleep on the floor. Both networks have made sacrifices to make room for each other. But TechTV was sold off because it was of little value to the previous owner, for a reason. Ratings and advertising were not good at all for TTV. G4 on the otherhand has excellent advertising, and if TTV's low rated shows are going to bring down the whole ship then damn straight I'm fine with some of them being cancelled. TTV fans should just be thankful that 75% of TTV's shows have survived the BUYOUT when ratings for the network as a whole were abysmal! And gee maybe people not tuning in frequently was in part due to them being sold Linux and Apple non-stop on what sometimes felt like an anti-MS infomercial of a channel. I don't know of any intelligent person who would take their technology advice and reviews from TechTV as opposed to a credible online source like CNET.

Secondly I find any encouragement of Linux and Mac over a Windows a damn good thing.
Well most people who actually play games and use real software in their everyday lives, don't appreciate having those virtually irrelevant operating systems forcibly thrust upon them day after day by TechTV. For the last two years of my life I feel like I've been brow beaten to death by CFH, TSS, TechLive, and Fresh Gear to buy an iPod, get a Mac, sign up for iTunes immediately, and if I refuse then to abandon the horror of Windows XP for Linux. They've had guests from the EFF on who have encouraged using Linux instead of Windows XP because and I kid you not, "It is easier to use." :D The channel was a joke. Do people like this really think they can affect change in the world by cramming down our throats everyday the message that we should all abandon Microsoft products? Give it up, it is such a lame cause.

Hell, I can even see some good reasons to switch over to Linux on my next PC.
For most people that isn't a reasonable consideration for their home or work PC. If you're a network adminstrator fine, wanna setup your web server on Linux, fine, but the average viewer is not in that category. I've been watching TSS and CFH hardcore for the last couple of years and they haven't ever provided one convincing or compelling reason as to why any normal person would want to choose one of these platforms instead of Windows. They've tried to overblow Windows security issues and scare people away from the platform. The only thing that makes the other platforms any safer is that nobody is using them so nobody bothers to waste their time attacking them.

I think it's rather sad you don't encourage more tech based shows on G4TechTV seeing as the ones whow ere hurt most by the mergers were the tech only people.
Let's get something straight first of all this isn't really a merger of two companies. TechTV was completely sold outright, gotten rid of by Vulcan Ventures because it was an unprofitable channel for them. Comcast could have completely cleared house if they wanted to and started creating contracts with providers from scratch. Comcast kept the TTV shows they did for ulterior motives. TTV fans should be happy there are any shows left. Absolutely nothing significant from TTV has been cut aside from C4H and TechLive. Most of the Tech TV shows still remain on the channel, way too many during the 10AM-1PM ET time slot and during the late night slot which is completely dominated by TechTV programs. Nobody is even watching these Robot Wars, Nerd Nation, Secret Strange and True, Body Hits, Invent This shows. These shows don't have any followings and hopefully they won't last much longer. I totally agree that I would have rather seen Call For Help and Tech Live, but in place of all of the other shows not in addition to them.

I honestly for the life me don't understand the TTV fans complaining when G4 has gone out of it's way to keep The Screen Savers, Unscrewed, Anime Unleashed, Robot Wars, X-Play all in tact at their regular air times in addition to holding onto some really questionable shows like Thunderbirds, Body Hits, Secret Strange and True, Nerd Nation and many others. The latter programs are completely awful and must get attrociously bad ratings, yet TTV geeks would seemingly be satisfied with nothing less than every single show from TTV remaining. I would like Call For Help on G4 too, but it's absense isn't so important that it alone makes the entire network suck.

And how about all the people who aren't giving the new channel a chance to produce it's own original tech shows. Why is it that G4 is expected to just keep every single techTV show intact without creating anything original? Isn't it unfair to judge the network while it's still in the process of actively creating and adding new programming which focuses on general technology? I know for a fact that G4 is creating shows which will be strictly focused on technology. They did change the name to G4TechTV so it's not like they're going to never create any new tech shows to replace the ones that don't last.

GDGF

Soothsayer
The kid knows his games, and I'd rather have him on the air than a personality devoid of talent and knowledge. He's proven himself a gamer time and time again (and isn't that what you've been championing throughout this thread...a network for gamers?)
He's earned his place (and I bet he could kick your ass in an Unreal competition, too:D)

---- said:
The top rated show on TechTV was X-Play, so I guess even the TechTV viewers mostly wanted to watch video games too. And what about people who watched G4TV for you know, games? Forgot about them huh? Since I didn't have it prior to the TechTV buyout, I don't know how much of G4TV's programming has had to be cut or scaled back to allow for TechTV. I do know that this is G4TV's house that TechTV is staying in and that it's absurd to expect G4 to sleep on the floor. Both networks have made sacrifices to make room for each other. But TechTV was sold off because it was of little value to the previous owner, for a reason. Ratings and advertising were not good at all for TTV. G4 on the otherhand has excellent advertising, and if TTV's low rated shows are going to bring down the whole ship then damn straight I'm fine with some of them being cancelled. TTV fans should just be thankful that 75% of TTV's shows have survived the BUYOUT when ratings for the network as a whole were abysmal! And gee maybe people not tuning in frequently was in part due to them being sold Linux and Apple non-stop on what sometimes felt like an anti-MS infomercial of a channel. I don't know of any intelligent person who would take their technology advice and reviews from TechTV as opposed to a credible online source like CNET.

Before we bother to argue about ratings, I would like links to the ratings for both networks and proof of how many viewers have been said to watch the network. I don't think either of us should make in claims to ratings without some proof. Secondly, I don't know where you get a lot of this anti-MS stuff. They never said to not move from it, and I do remember on many occasions them stating why MS is a better platform for consumers at the moment. They're just trying to appeal to all areas. Like I said CFH was very much oriented to that crowd of Windows users and such, hell I don't ever remember any serious Linux question popping up on that show. TSS was another story, but I'm glad it was there. I would rather not alienate a group because they're not large in a number. Secondly, what about all the people I had mentioned who really don't know much about computers but tuned in to learn? Or called in for CFH?

Well most people who actually play games and use real software in their everyday lives, don't appreciate having those virtually irrelevant operating systems forcibly thrust upon them day after day by TechTV. For the last two years of my life I feel like I've been brow beaten to death by CFH, TSS, TechLive, and Fresh Gear to buy an iPod, get a Mac, sign up for iTunes immediately, and if I refuse then to abandon the horror of Windows XP for Linux. They've had guests from the EFF on who have encouraged using Linux instead of Windows XP because and I kid you not, "It is easier to use." :D The channel was a joke. Do people like this really think they can affect change in the world by cramming down our throats everyday the message that we should all abandon Microsoft products? Give it up, it is such a lame cause.

Again, they didn't really have it forced down them. The only show that actually showed a lot of stuff about Mac and Linux was TSS, no other show on the network did. Of course they're going to go about the iPOD in a big way because that's just the best out on the market in terms of pure quality. Fresh Gear HAS had segments involving mp3 players other than the iPOD and hell, during the later days they didn't mention it very much or even reviewed mp3 players it seems. And also I DON'T think they were ever trying to make people switch. It was just to let people become more aware or offer support for the people who DO use it.

For most people that isn't a reasonable consideration for their home or work PC. If you're a network adminstrator fine, wanna setup your web server on Linux, fine, but the average viewer is not in that category. I've been watching TSS and CFH hardcore for the last couple of years and they haven't ever provided one convincing or compelling reason as to why any normal person would want to choose one of these platforms instead of Windows. They've tried to overblow Windows security issues and scare people away from the platform. The only thing that makes the other platforms any safer is that nobody is using them so nobody bothers to waste their time attacking them.

Not true, Mac, while not nearly as popular as Windows, and even Linux have had their fair share people trying to run at them. But why were they trying to scare people away if more people actually use Windows and they were telling them to run updates? The frequent security holes are a problem, regardless of the userbase I don't think it should be as problematic as it is. Hell I see them focusing so much on security now than any of their other projects, when was the last time IE had an update anyways? I'm sure there's no security problem. :p

Let's get something straight first of all this isn't really a merger of two companies. TechTV was completely sold outright, gotten rid of by Vulcan Ventures because it was an unprofitable channel for them. Comcast could have completely cleared house if they wanted to and started creating contracts with providers from scratch. Comcast kept the TTV shows they did for ulterior motives. TTV fans should be happy there are any shows left. Absolutely nothing significant from TTV has been cut aside from C4H and TechLive. Most of the Tech TV shows still remain on the channel, way too many during the 10AM-1PM ET time slot and during the late night slot which is completely dominated by TechTV programs. Nobody is even watching these Robot Wars, Nerd Nation, Secret Strange and True, Body Hits, Invent This shows. These shows don't have any followings and hopefully they won't last much longer. I totally agree that I would have rather seen Call For Help and Tech Live, but in place of all of the other shows not in addition to them.

I honestly for the life me don't understand the TTV fans complaining when G4 has gone out of it's way to keep The Screen Savers, Unscrewed, Anime Unleashed, Robot Wars, X-Play all in tact at their regular air times in addition to holding onto some really questionable shows like Thunderbirds, Body Hits, Secret Strange and True, Nerd Nation and many others. The latter programs are completely awful and must get attrociously bad ratings, yet TTV geeks would seemingly be satisfied with nothing less than every single show from TTV remaining. I would like Call For Help on G4 too, but it's absense isn't so important that it alone makes the entire network suck.

And how about all the people who aren't giving the new channel a chance to produce it's own original tech shows. Why is it that G4 is expected to just keep every single techTV show intact without creating anything original? Isn't it unfair to judge the network while it's still in the process of actively creating and adding new programming which focuses on general technology? I know for a fact that G4 is creating shows which will be strictly focused on technology. They did change the name to G4TechTV so it's not like they're going to never create any new tech shows to replace the ones that don't last.

I agree with you here, some of the other shows may not have been as popular, and I would have liked to trade in some of the shows that moved along with TechTV for other TechTV shows... but it's not like G4's programming was any better. There was little original content on a weekly basis as compared to a week of TechTV. Both networks were stalling, they both needed help. But meh, we're still caching reruns of some G4 shows quite a bit, and I'm still frustrated over the fact that TSS is really not much.

We will just have to wait and see. I never said there would never be shows, but I am upset with what the current line up is, and my money is at the expense of this as well. I can complain as I wish. I only hope that you're right and we do get some original tech only shows. Or at least god damn Tech Live. There's only so much gaming bullshit I can take. I think I only have maybe 1 or 2 shows I watch on the network now, when I used to just leave the TV on TechTV at all times. It's rather disappointing.

---- said:
Pulse is okay, but not really that great. The hosts are terrible, the news is usually days old, and the set is piss poor. Some of the news stories and features are okay. The new host Kevin Peirera (sp?) is extremely annoying. Basically he thinks he's Chandler Bing, I mean "Can he, get anymore sarcastic?" He also looks like a dork, which really makes me want to kick his ass. I hope they completely rework Pulse get a few new hosts/reporters and turn it into a decent show.

Best G4techTV shows are:

1. G4TV.com
2. Judgment Day
3. Icons
4. Electric Playground
5. Cinematech
6. Players
7. Filter
8. Fresh Gear
9. Pulse
10 The Screen Savers
11. X-Play

X-Play > the entire G4 schedule.

jooey said:
wow so it's a whole hour of reading press releases off a prompter now?!
Uh, contrary to popular belief the average (i.e. casual) gamer doesn't frequent message boards. BTW, the show offers much more than "press releases".

Top Bottom