• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

purepc.pl: Intel and NVIDIA had an internal agreement that blocked development of laptops with AMD Renoir and GeForce RTX 2070 and above

llien

Polish website "broke" the news (purepc.pl google translate).

This all stems from the last part of the article. Direct (translated) excerpt from the website:
One OEM finally secretly admitted that the real reason for this was an internal agreement between Intel and NVIDIA, under which the most powerful graphics cards from the Turing family could only be combined with 10th generation Intel processors. Unfortunately, we do not know exactly what conditions and / or amounts were at stake, but the whole thing must have undoubtedly concerned large amounts, since no OEM broke out and prepared laptops based on AMD processors.

Note that while it has become easier to find AMD laptops with good screens, premium screens (e.g. OLED) are only available with Intel inside for a number of OEMs (HP, Dell, ASUS, but notably not Lenovo).

AMD still ramped up it's Laptop business, going with 70 design wins with first Zen based chip, 100 with second, and now aiming for 150 for 5000 series.

RDNA2 mobile chips cannot come soon enough...

PhoenixTank

I don't buy the pcie lanes excuse, but I don't buy this either.
I would imagine it is OEMs being cautious. Adoption and confidence takes time. Getting there though!
Will be interesting to see discrete Ampere and RDNA2 go head to head in laptops... not a clue when that will be with supply the way it is.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I hope nvidia will still be blocked buying ARM
Fuck that company so so much.

and intel? Just fucking die already ✌️🤣✌️

i hope europe gives you another big fat ass fine 😎

Last edited:
Not surprised at all, Intel has been constantly accused and fined/condemned for antitrust practices since the end of the 80's.
I still think they are holding back showing their best chip architecture for long-term dominance purposes, the platform is broken, no surprise, it's true that corporations are not our friends to us consumers but amd have not been cheated at all and I still think their trend will continue unless intel and nvidia change their moral attitudes.

martino

True enough. I guess I am just especially salty when it comes to nVidia and what they did to 3Dfx...
They are the leader for now (or were for long ) so....
but i have zero doubt that amd will not be better if it stays at the top long enough.

Hudo

They are the leader for now (or were for long ) so....
but i have zero doubt that amd will not be better if it stays at the top long enough.
Yeah, my hope is that AMDs success in the desktop CPU market will give them a bit of leeway to push harder in the dedicated GPU market so that nVidia have a bit more competition in the upper class of cards. That would also (hopefully) push down the horrible prices in that segment since those cards are all fucking overpriced. I'd also love for Intel to really come forward with their dedicated GPUs, not necessarily because they would impact the market positively in terms of pushing prices down but rather because I hope that they'll either adopt OpenCL for GPGPU stuff, meaning that OpenCL would get a long overdue push, or that nVidia just opens up CUDA to other manufacturers.

Last edited:

llien

An OLED on a laptop is one hell of a premium screen, especially when you have to buy a new one because the windows bar is permentally stuck at the bottom after 6 months of use.
Yes, which, though, is ridiculous, given that you can get 55" inch OLED for 14 hundred.
I've heard people saying "but higher pixel density on smaller screen is harder", which would be cool story to hear, if Samsung Galaxy S series of phones (OLED from verison 1) did not exist for more than 10 years at htis point.

Regardless, there is no sensible reason not to pair it with the best mobile chips on the market, which just happen to be AMD's.

Ascend

Just bought a new Intel/Nvidia laptop :messenger_sunglasses:
flame thrower fire GIF

Top Bottom