• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Put It In Your MAU-th: Pork Loin leading PS4/Xbone in NA

Rondras

Banned
People already have PS4, why they would buy it another time? So they go and buy the other console, cheaper. You're welcome.

Boke1879

I'll wait for NPD. But I don't think anyone is shocked if MS wins Black Friday. This is the case every year. Both are going to sell a shit tons regardless.

madmackem

It will get to the point you will get the full first party line up with your Xbox one s soon, the deals ms do are just insane I've not seen the level of deals since dreamcast fire sale when it was discontinued, I guess that's the power of the ms pockets they can justify making very very little on the point of sale and hope to recouped on live and games down the line. People on gaf put too much into uk USA sales when the rest of the world Xbox as a brand is pretty much dead.

Because for the last few months of NPD numbers, the default response to Microsoft "winning" has been that "people are waiting for the PS4 Pro in November". There was a widespread belief that the PS4 Pro would help Sony crush Microsoft in November.

That's why the statement that it would be a sight to see makes sense me

DieH@rd

Banned
Uh huh. Can't wait to see your predictable posts when PS4/Pro comes out on top. PS4 Pro launched this month ffs.

Neither Sony or MS winning would make it strange, November winner is never guaranteed.

Pro launched yes, but Black Friday moves a lot of consoles and people are then almost fully focused on heavily discounted items.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
One chain having the Xbox outsell the PS4, with no context on how close behind the PS4 was, and the headline implies a total shut out by MS.

We had this same discussion last year, I seem to remember.

Xbox took Walmart, PlayStation Amazon, yada yada, and people were trying to work out which combo was greater.
This was the 2015 chart -

BlackFriday2015_-NobodyBeatsDre@2x.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1147376

StereoVsn

BestBuy, Amazon and Newegg had good bundles this year. BestBuy threw in Ratchet and Clank plus Last of Us, Newegg gave Deus Ex and a decent Headset, and Amazon had Skyrim and Fallout 4.

Target of course had some crazy coupon deals for any platform.

Footos22

Not one xbox one s on amazon's top sellers of 2016 so far. The only xbox is at 90 odd and is the basic xbox with gear ultimate.

Ps4 pro is at 46 or something. With 3 or 4 ps bundles around that. Thought xbox one was selling gangbusters.

Chris1

This thread is weird.. I was under the assumption most people expected Sony to win November NPD cause of the Pro?

I think Sony will win still, preorders + new console launch will help it.

Poster#1

I'd be surprised if MS win November. Sony just released a new console so it should automatically put them in the lead.

Scrawnton

All those third party games that Sony banked on this fall ended up being weak in sales. Pair this with Microsoft having a fantastic first party line up and it's obvious Microsoft will own November.

I know it's a meme of sorts but Sony's inability to release a big holiday game is starting to hurt them.

This thread is weird.. I was under the assumption most people expected Sony to win November NPD cause of the Pro?

I haven't for some time. I still don't.

The MS bundles plus discounts are too good. I said it in the NPD thread as well, I'd love some bets on this :p

XB1 + XB1S > PS4 + PS4S + Pro

StereoVsn

All those third party games that Sony banked on this fall ended up being weak in sales. Pair this with Microsoft having a fantastic first party line up and it's obvious Microsoft will own November.

I know it's a meme of sorts but Sony's inability to release a big holiday game is starting to hurt them.
I wouldn't be completely surprised if MS wins but I think Sony has a greater chance with Pro release. By all reports Pro sales in US were good.

Bgamer90

Banned
Gave it some more thought; Both the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One S are advertised for 4K features -- however (at least based on what I can tell), Microsoft has FAR more advertisements in U.S. for the Xbox One S in comparison to Sony and the PS4 Pro. Add that in with the Xbox One S being much weaker in power, therefore causing its lower price and good deals (deals that are even better than the PS4 slim in some cases) and I guess it wouldn't be too surprising if the Xbox One is on top for November NPD.

I honestly previously thought that this would be a gimme for Sony due to the PS4 Pro pre-orders alone. It's possible that Black Friday sales could make things pretty even though.

I'd be surprised if PS4 won the month. MS had better deals as usual and will win the month because of it.

I wouldnt think PS4 Pro is going to be a huge seller because of price + no good deals + why get it if youre not a hardcore gamer? I think the only possible way PS4 would win would be due to the Slim not being a bad deal but otherwise I just don't see it. Especially after MS has won the last 4 months or whatever anyway.

On Demand

Banned
It would be bad for Sony if XB1 took the month. Pro pre orders plus full month of sales, PS4 slim black friday sales, FF15 release benefiting PS4 more, and FF15 LE bundle at Gamestop (which is now sold out).

For those reasons I expect a PS4 win. It would be crazy if they don't.

GAF would melt.

Chobel

That changed a little after October NPD, the gap was pretty big between PS4 and XB1.

jaypah

Yeah there were a lot of "people are waiting for the Pro" posts every time MS took a month. I mean, it's not like an urban legend or anything the posts are still on GAF lol. Of course if Sony doesn't take November I predict it'll be expected, they'll have made more money and "Worldwide" will be a theme. For what it's worth I expect Sony to take November. Probably December too.

Pjsprojects

Well I didn't upgrade our collection of Xbox ones to the S model but we did buy a couple of slims to update the launch models

In the UK we had £199 with two games,one old game and one new such as Watchdogs 2 and watchdogs 1 all in the box.

Scrawnton

Yeah there were a lot of "people are waiting for the Pro" posts every time MS took a month. I mean, it's not like an urban legend or anything the posts are still on GAF lol. Of course if Sony doesn't take November I predict it'll be expected, they'll have made more money and "Worldwide" will be a theme. For what it's worth I expect Sony to take November. Probably December too.

Sony needs PSX to rehype the brand and sell some consoles. Showing more FF7 and announcing a release date would be a good start.

But Media Create doesn't split PS4/PS4 slim either.

If NPD separates them and Xbox outsells PS4/S but not the combined sales with Pro, I doubt Microsoft is going to come out and announce a win. The win would still be Sony's regardless of how NPD categorizes the sales.

Tratorn

Winning November NPD doesn't mean winning Black Friday. Normally that is the case since BF is the most important time of the month, but this time Sony has launched a new SKU before that date and it didn't get discounted at BF. So I fully expect a win at BF week for MS since they had the better deals and they are traditionally strong in November/December, but the whole month could still be a small win for Sony if the Pro launch was good.

MS btw. even has a disadvantage in this chart, since they have more bundles than Sony. So for Sony it is actually easier to have the win for individual SKUs.
Doesn't mean much yet, but it's a pretty good sign for MS that even with this in mind they "won" in two of those chains.

jaypah

Sony needs PSX to rehype the brand and sell some consoles. Showing more FF7 and announcing a release date would be a good start.

Yeah that would be nice because it won't cost as much as just slashing prices. Build up a little hype and ride it. They're already making crazy profit so no need for them to tank their value with price-cuts but some hype mixed with their upcoming line up could be the ticket.

jaypah

If NPD separates them and Xbox outsells PS4/S but not the combined sales with Pro, I doubt Microsoft is going to come out and announce a win. The win would still be Sony's regardless of how NPD categorizes the sales.

Bruh. We're talking about MS and PR. Nothing is off the table when it comes to that sweet holiday PR.

Kazooie

Banned
Have a One S and PS4. Don't think the PS4 has had a good enough exclusive this holiday season whilst the Xbox has had Gears and Forza. Looking forward to getting The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2 though, just a shame they were both delayed.

Unknown?

With way better bundles available to be fair:

Blops3 ps4 and battlefront ps4... theyve completely lost the bundle fight this year to Microsoft, not terribly but its still stacked against them, and they dont seem to want to get in a price war with Microsoft. id be (a little) worried if they didn't win in feb and march where a bunch of there exclusives are,

Beef tenderloin still better

Their Black Friday bundle last year was the Uncharted collection though. That was the one that sold the most because it was discounted. Blops and Battlefront were a blip until December when they dropped in price.

Scrawnton

Bruh. We're talking about MS and PR. Nothing is off the table when it comes to that sweet holiday PR.
Then it becomes a battle of PR "best selling console" vs "best selling platform."

Their Black Friday bundle last year was the Uncharted collection though. That was the one that sold the most because it was discounted. Blops and Battlefront were a blip until December when they dropped in price.

I think Sony needed a BF Pro bundle with Infinite Warfare and MWR.

Also would've been reallll nice for Square to release FF15 before BF so the Slim bundle could've been there. With how much that game is leaking I'm shocked they even set a post BF date in the first place. It's obvious it could've release easily a week before it.

When has this really ever mattered to Sony ever?

Sony doesn't do huge holiday promo that Microsoft does. Did anyone forget Last year when MS was touting Gear's of War, Forza, Halo and Tomb Raider as their lineup?

And Sony just had Bloodborne as the bundle? Like Sony doesn't care so it's not a big deal if they lose... Then again NPD isn't my favorite pass time so I guess for some it will come as a shock since some people are always so sure....

Guymelef

Actually Black Ops III bundle was announced in December.

Have a One S and PS4. Don't think the PS4 has had a good enough exclusive this holiday season whilst the Xbox has had Gears and Forza. Looking forward to getting The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2 though, just a shame they were both delayed.
MS had Gears, Forza and Halo last year and it wasn't enough to top Sony's UC Collection Black Friday bundle and the December Battlefront/CoD bundles.

In other words, I don't think the exclusives make much of a difference. It is value and price that does it.

blakep267

Actually Black Ops III bundle was announced in December.
that was the cheaper version. In November they had 2 different Star Wars bundles and the LE BO3 bundle, and The UC collection bundle

Aren't Black Friday sales typically close? Do we know if there was a blowout (or just a decent sized gap) on Black Friday in 2014 or 2015?
I believe Sony "won" Black Friday in 2014 with the GTA5 bundle, but NS launched the asscreed bundle and started the $50 off promotion at the beginning of the Minh so it didn't matter

Unknown?

So what we've got here is PS4 winning two retailers(best buy/Amazon) and Xbox winning two retailers(target/Costco) according to our knowledge. Okay.

Top Bottom