• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris announced for PS3, WiiU, Vita and 3DS

inner-G

Banned
At least some of the platforms are region-free, but they really should release it in the west. Seems a good fit for 3DS/Vita especially.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Seriously, this is the type of game that's PERFECT for portables. I'd be content if it was download only for Vita/3DS. One of these days, if it's been long enough where Sega hasn't announced anything with the Vita version & it's gone down in price/I can afford it, might just import that one. & it's not like Sega has much competition with barely any Tetris games on the platforms, especially since the Ubisoft one is for PS4/X1.

Unfortunately, this has very little chance of ever coming to the west. The Tetris Company licenses to different companies in the east and west. EA has the Tetris license in the west right now, iirc.

This is also how Arika was able to make the definitive versions of Tetris (TGM series) and why the games never came overseas.

In short, blame the Tetris company.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Shouldn't be EA. Considering Ubisoft is making X1/PS4 versions at the moment, I assume they would have the rights....though I wish Sega could talk with the Tetris company & be like "Hey, you guys got Ubisoft doing games for these consoles, how about we release our crossover one on portable devices, & maybe throw in the Wii U as well since that really doesn't have Tetris on there at the moment."

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Unfortunately, this has very little chance of ever coming to the west. The Tetris Company licenses to different companies in the east and west. EA has the Tetris license in the west right now, iirc.

This is also how Arika was able to make the definitive versions of Tetris (TGM series) and why the games never came overseas.

In short, blame the Tetris company.
The only console Tetris game by Arika that's ARS is Tetris with Card Captor Sakura for the PS1 and it's not even on PSN. Unfortunately, the PS3 still respects PS1 region locking. TGM Ace for the XBox was actually hybrid ARS/SRS.

They also did Dr. Mario for the Wii. It's based on the TGM engine which is why it has amazing autoshift and a hard drop, but that's just not enough.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
They also did Dr. Mario for the Wii which is based on the TGM engine which is why it has amazing autoshift and a hard drop, but that's just not enough.
Does Dr. Luigi also by Arika also have these features? (I don't have a Wii U.)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh right, TGM engine also allows rotation and autoshift charging during piece pre-spawn.

Does Dr. Luigi also by Arika also have these features? (I don't have a Wii U.)
Probably. There's nothing that would compel them to make changes to the mechanics and they save work by reusing code.

FSLink

Banned
Can't decide whether to get this for Vita or PS3, but definitely picking this up next paycheck. Any impressions from any GAF people who imported?

Shouldn't be EA. Considering Ubisoft is making X1/PS4 versions at the moment, I assume they would have the rights....though I wish Sega could talk with the Tetris company & be like "Hey, you guys got Ubisoft doing games for these consoles, how about we release our crossover one on portable devices, & maybe throw in the Wii U as well since that really doesn't have Tetris on there at the moment."

I mean, there is precedent considering Nintendo already put Axis out on the 3DS. Still thinking that this has a decent shot, even if it is nothing but a gut feeling.

Trip report:
online is fucking dead but that's probably cause it's AM in Japan
Party mode is 90 seconds of pure suffering
PuyoTetMix breaks my mind, I do not understand it

Tain

This game is awesome so far. The only weak mode is the nonstop fever one, and it's still a decent novelty. I love how one of the Party mode items is a very fast TGM-style drop where pieces don't immediately lock at the bottom. A tease!

I wish there was a way to get this to look and sound more like Puyo 2 than the modern Pop'n Music style, but I can deal.

Overwhelming amount of options. I don't know what all the singleplayer "endless" (I think?) modes are. And I wonder how to unlock those other BGM tracks...

After playing the game for about three days... VS mode is not fun. When Tetris players have the ability to harass on a dime and get no penalty for eating garbage life is sad for Puyo players. Based on uploaded replays (which is a pretty cool feature), higher level Puyo players have transitioned to just building dig counters immediately on match start because of how quickly harassment happens.

Swap mode (aka chess boxing mode) might be the most real mode out there since Puyo/Tetris never directly interact with each other and it tests player skill of both game types. It's too bad I hardly ever encounter people in Swap in online ranked.

Tain

Swap mode (aka chess boxing mode) might be the most real mode out there since Puyo/Tetris never directly interact with each other and it tests player skill of both game types. It's too bad I hardly ever encounter people in Swap in online ranked.

If you swap with a piece still falling, doesn't the piece on the background board still trigger breaks that send garbage to the other player's active board? I know that the piece disappears if it doesn't, but I swear that during some swap play I sent some garbage over at the same time my background board did. Which is cool, as far as I'm concerned.

Does the 3DS version have download play?
yes

This was awesome! Is there US release planned or are we still SOL on that front?
There hasn't been a Puyo game released in the west in like a decade lol :(

If you swap with a piece still falling, doesn't the piece on the background board still trigger breaks that send garbage to the other player's active board? I know that the piece disappears if it doesn't, but I swear that during some swap play I sent some garbage over at the same time my background board did. Which is cool, as far as I'm concerned.
I think you also get bonus damage on the active board for linking with the background chain, or at least that's what I think happens based on the special SFX that happens..

Eusis

There hasn't been a Puyo game released in the west in like a decade lol :(
I think Tetris is a double edged sword here. On one hand that could be a nice easy way to ensure the game sells better and to bring it out.

On the other hand this may be some Japan specific license and so it's trapped there instead, wholly dependent on Sega and the local license owner (Ubisoft currently?) collaborating. So yeah, not optimistic.

People keep mentioning the Tetris license as if it granted exclusive rights to release the game, but I thought TTC only used the license as a way to guarantee all Tetris games conformed to their guideline? I mean EA has at least one Tetris game in active development in Japan (for iOS) and Tetris Axis was a Hudson Soft thing.

Tain

Does anybody know how to unlock those extra characters? Hoping they aren't DLC. They're definitely not the third page of the shop.

Tain

Cool, thanks. I did the first two chapters and didn't see anything so I wanted to be sure I was on the right track.

Slermy

My copy from Play-Asia came in. Also came with a "Puyo Puyo Quest" booster pack of sorts, though it looks like there's only ONE card inside (what a waste of packaging). Anyone know if this is a special card or not?

It's a pre-order bonus with a serial code on the back that you can redeem for an exclusive Arle card in the F2P Puyo Quest mobage. Completely useless if you don't play the game but you might be able to donate it to an active player who wants it.

I'm raffling my code off on Sunday on a stream so if you want to contribute to the prize pool you can hand it off to me through PM.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Just got my vita copy today! I appreciate there being an option to jump right into instant puyopuyo with no fuss for those of us who don't really care about tetris. Glad they kept the original puyo theme (BGM 9) too. Wouldn't feel right without it. :)

I haven't even tried any other modes yet, or even looked in the main menu really, just been playing instant puyo for the last few hours... having this on a handheld is going to totally destroy my productivity... and my chaining has really improved since I started playing puyo over 3 years ago. Feels gooood.

Still have no interest in the adventure/story modes because I HATE Sega-style puyo art and humorless character interaction.

kiyoaki

Sorry to necro this old thread, I didn't know where else I could put this.

I'll be getting the PS3 disc version of this game soon, and I was wondering whether it works with the PS4 controller. My main reason for buying this is local multiplayer, and I figured that if I have to get a second controller just for this game, I might as well make it a Dualshock4.

Has anyone tried this out yet? I couldn't find anything on the web.

kiyoaki

I don't have a PS4 yet, though I'll probably be getting one in late 2015/early 2016, once a couple more games will be out. So getting a controller that works with both systems makes sense in the long term.

Thanks for the link. If I read this correctly the PS4 controller now works with all PS3 games on the new firmware? The last thing I've heard was that there were some PS3 games that were incompatible with the Dualshock4. IGN et al. had lists of compatible and incompatible games, but I couldn't find Puyo Puyo Tetris on any of these.

Top Bottom