• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons Z / SMB Edition: demo in May, game will cost 29.99$

L~A

Just announced via PR. Coming out on May 22nd.

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--On May 22, two huge and immersive puzzle games developed by GungHo are coming in one package to the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. The newest game, Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. Edition, resembles a classic Super Mario Bros. game with a puzzling twist. Players drag and match colorful orbs to chain combos to battle opponents, level up and clear stages. But the action beyond that simple drag-and-match premise reveals much deeper game play. The game transports players to the Mushroom Kingdom, where they recruit Bowser’s baddies, like Goombas, Koopa Troopas and the Koopalings, along with much-loved characters like Toad and Yoshi to help fight more than 80 classic enemies across a variety of different worlds.

The second game, Puzzle & Dragons Z, which became a big hit in Japan and sold more than 1.5 million units in the first six months after launch, features similar drag-and-match game play with an even richer storyline. Players collect and battle a fantastic array of more than 250 Monsters, which can be hatched from Eggs that players gather from defeating enemies. Then, using collected Chips (from defeating enemies), players can evolve their Monsters to gain new Skills, a higher level cap and better stats on their quest to rebuild the world.

Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. Edition launches on one game card at a suggested retail price of just $29.99. Best of all, everyone can try out Puzzle & Dragons Super Mario Bros. Edition before it launches by downloading a free demo in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS starting in early May.

Will this have any of the original P&D "Freemium" elements like gems and pulls and all that stuff? I like the concept and gameplay of it but I can't be bothered with the gambling aspect of it anymore.

Will this have any of the original P&D "Freemium" elements like gems and pulls and all that stuff? I like the concept and gameplay of it but I can't be bothered with the gambling aspect of it anymore.
No IAP or stamina bars, there's still a gacha I think. The structure is laid out more like a typical RPG now.

No IAP or stamina bars, there's still a gacha I think. The structure is laid out more like a typical RPG now.

The main problem with the original for me was that unless you get a number of very specific very rare monsters you basically can't progress in the game. I suppose this will be different then.

Ridley327

How does the gatcha work without premium currency? Does it just use normal currency, or make premium currency always obtainable?

My understanding is that you earn items during play that will allow you to use the gatcha. I think the idea is that you use it less frequently than you do in normal PAD, but the tradeoff is that there's more good stuff waiting in comparison.

maxcriden

Oh, if it's $30 then my Amazon pre-order "25% discount" price of $30 is erroneous. Hmm. They said it's 25% off. I'm going to ask for 25% off the new MSRP and see if they honor it. Otherwise, eShop it is.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Already preordered. My first experience with Puzzle and Dragons.

Xater

This might be weird, but I think I would prefer it if I could buy these games separately digitally. I kinda just want the Mario version.

maxcriden

Okay, I talked to Amazon. They will honor their original 25% off the MSRP sale so they changed my price from $30 to $22.50. Yay!! :D

magnetic

I love the basic mechanics of P&D - moving a gem around freely for a short time and pushing around other blocks that way is so much more satisfying and complex than the usual dumb "only one gem at a time, only one space, and only if it matches" Bejeweled / Candy Crush style.

But the F2P structure really turned me off, I just couldn´t deal with it.

I also thought that the presentation in P&D is really bad. I just don´t like the visual style at all, and the music was mostly terrible as well. (I thought that the shameless clone "Tower Of Saviors" had a much more appealing presentation.)

Turning it into a stand-alone title and adding more production values might just turn this into the Tetris Attack of this generation. I´m really looking forward to it, and making it two games in one for a budget price is surprisingly generous.

And adding a Mario universe skin to it is just the cherry on top! Puzzle games always should be soaked in primary colors and upbeat tunes, if you ask me.

Kozuka

I wanted it, but now with their arrival on mobile they can just dream to see my money spent on shovelware.

Indeed, i thought that publishing mobile ports on 3DS would be the last stand with nothing behind or below so i wanted originally to support those games motivated by keeping Nintendo away from the Devil.
Wrong, i was so wrong... at least i spent no dime.

Rootbeer

Banned
Looking forward to it! Knew that amazon.com price drop was portending something.
Okay, I talked to Amazon. They will honor their original 25% off the MSRP sale so they changed my price from $30 to $22.50. Yay!! :D
Wow you can do this? Hmm... tempted to try it.

kiguel182

Should be interesting to play the game without all of the f2p stuff.

Altought I wouldn't mind simply being able to play it on my phone without having to worry about downloading the apk. I don't get why they don't simply release it in all EU.

Velcro Fly

whoa whoa whoa did i just see recruit and Koopalings in the same sentence

And $30 means it will be $24 on GCU.

Hell yes.

This might be weird, but I think I would prefer it if I could buy these games separately digitally. I kinda just want the Mario version.
Not weird at all , I want just the Mario version. I will most likely wait for a sale for this. $30 for both is still an awesome deal.

Japan eShop is selling them separately.
I am only guessing they are bundling it because it is $30 for the Mario version and $5 for the Z version. Figures they wanted to throw in Z for free.

I don't get how this is going to work. Am I going to rub Luigi's tummy and eggs will fly out of his ass that give birth to baby Marios?

Top Bottom