• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q, Mikami, Suda 51 Partner with EA; so do Epic+People Can Fly

If ever I read a press release that screamed "get ready to shit your pants", this one is seriously at the very top. I can't even imagine a harder-hitting release unless it was a Molyneux-Miyamoto/EAD team-up. This is out of control.

Jumping the gun here but finally, it'll be nice to see a Grasshopper game get some real advertisements in the US. A real TV ad...man I'm excited already.

The Hermit

Considering I loved both Killer 7 and NMH, I have HUGE hopes for this game...

I still won´t get hyped until I see what is it about...

Mamesj

Banned
Maybe mikami will have a larger role than he had in Killer 7. Though it was a tight game by all means, just the gameplay wasn't for everyone.

As opposed to NMH, which was not nearly as tight of a game.

In so many ways, Grasshopper resembles a niche band that is on the cusp of breaking out. The big international publishers (Ubi, EA) seem to be thinking along these lines as well. I hoped NMH could break the glass ceiling, but a mix of mediocre execution and flaccid marketing held it back. I eagerly await the results of this collaboration. GO SUDA 51 GO!

Gino

Ryu said:
kd02e0.jpg

What I thought of right as I read the thread title.
Needs Travis in the back slicing someone in half.

EDIT: And that should probably be Leon sense Mikami isn't involved with RE5.

basik

I think NMH would have done better if it had some tv commercials...it has some niche themes in it but everybody understands swordfighting and lightsabers. guess suda wasnt happy with ubisoft since hes gone to EA now.

Wait.. you mean this isn't a joke thread? Wow, this is probably the greatest news of this gen. This will be the first time I ever decided to preorder a game that doesn't even have a name yet. Now, if Suda and Mikami could get Akira Yamaoka on the music.......

Also, who the hell is this company and what have they done with EA? They're actually acting like an industry leader should and making it possible for new IP's to get made in an era where every game is a sequel of a sequel. This will be really good for the new game's marketing as well, as Ubi did a craptastic job of promoting NMH; I remain convinced that thousands of gamers who would have absolutely loved it never heard about it. Still haven't for that matter.

Haunted

Should I be embarrassed to know what koushien is?

Thanks for the interview, Kobun.

edit: wtf is up with the Suda haters? The man is brilliant.

Dascu

John Harker said:
Can someone post or summarize Gamespot article?

dont wanna give them traffic
- Some talk about how they signed up the deal with EA
- Suda's doing the design of the game, with Mikami making sure the gameplay works (yay!)
- Japan's state of development: Suda says Japanese developers should focus more on international market and be more creative. He compares it how the movies made in Japan barely get released outside of Japan, but American movies are always successes all over the world.
- Then the interviewer asks them to draw a picture of the game. :lol

Eteric Rice

- Japan's state of development: Suda says Japanese developers should focus more on international market and be more creative. He compares it how the movies made in Japan barely get released outside of Japan, but American movies are always successes all over the world.

I like Japanese games, please don't try to be anything BUT Japanese. They're unique.

I mean, maybe you can create stuff that everyone can relate to (character wise, anyway). But I swear if my Japanese games start having giant balled space marines I'd going to burn EA down. :|

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Alaluef said:

So your main objective is to get to that house. Halfway through the game you find the house and theres darkness and horror aplenty. New events unfold and your objective is to go to another house (that might just be an arrow, not sure). And no backtracking.

Edit: And I'll interpret those squiggly lines as forest surrounding your path.

AniHawk

Dascu said:
Seems like the character goes up a road leading to a tower/castle building, with a house/village along the way. There's also a lot of darkness.

Kurayami confirmed?

Man, I hope so. Back when this and NMH were first announced, I thought this looked way more interesting.

TunaLover

I assume Grasshopper doesn't have the bandwidth to do four platform versions in-house. Are you guys handling any porting like you did for Valve on PS3?

DD: Grasshopper is very capable with regards to platforms. They've currently got one of the platforms subbed out to another developer, but they're handling the rest of them -- Grasshopper and Q? in combination.

Is that the Wii version?

DD: Um --

EA PR: I don't think we have detail on that stuff yet.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3768/david_demartini_on_the_renaissance_.php?page=2

It seems that the Wii version could be handled by another developer. Expect Wii version with 100% more bugs! =/

What a let down

TunaLover said:
It seems that the Wii version could be handled by another developer. Expect Wii version with 100% more bugs! =/

What a let down
Yeah, sounds like it...Oh well, if that's the case, there's still a chance that this mysterious developer would be something like Platinum Games, rather than TOSE, but...yeah, although no platform's confirmed so far...right now, that doesn't exactly sounds like a good news for whatever version they've decided to outsource, be it the Wii version or whichever else.

Tenbatsu

I was hoping the Wii version will have some kind of awesome controls like No More Heroes.... Will wait and see what's the outcome before deciding on getting either the PS3 or Wii version.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Stormbringer said:
Yeah, sounds like it...Oh well, would that be the case, there's still a chance that this mysterious developer would be something like Platinum Games, rather than TOSE, but...yeah, although no platform's confirmed so far...right now, that doesn't exactly sounds like a good news for whatever version they've decided to outsource, be it the Wii version or whichever else.
I'm curious to know which version they outsourced my-self, grasshopper has released an internally developed Wii game but I'm not sure if anything Q has done for XBLA was developed in-house... guess we'll find out sooner or later.

Top Bottom