• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q1 '21 world console sell-through: Switch 5.8m, PS5 2.8m, X|S 1.3m

Idk how reliable these guys are, but interesting numbers.

E1z_fsWWQAEVBSA

https://www.ampereanalysis.com/insi...ncreases-year-on-year-ps5-outsells-xbox-serie

How are these numbers awful for Sony? Production is ramping up and they are on track to achieve over 11M sales in 2021. They will likely surpass 12M even. Of course, considering these numbers are legit or somewhat legit.
Because they could probably sell 20M with proper supply. That’s a huge opportunity loss. Especially since MS will have more time to get their exclusives going.

Dodkrake

Banned
Because they could probably sell 20M with proper supply. That’s a huge opportunity loss. Especially since MS will have more time to get their exclusives going.

So let me get this straight, and assuming the numbers are true. Your assumptions are that:

A) Sony will somehow lose to MS because "MS Exclusives", which implies there are no PS5 exclusives (as opposed to XBone / Series / PC "exclusives) coming down
B) Sony is not outselling its main competitor more than 2:1. What would be now 2.8 vs 1.3M will be 11 vs 5 by end of year.

For sure they are losing sales, but so is everybody else. It's not bad news for Sony, it's bad news for Nvidia, AMD, etc.

skit_data

So let me get this straight, and assuming the numbers are true. Your assumptions are that:

A) Sony will somehow lose to MS because "MS Exclusives", which implies there are no PS5 exclusives (as opposed to XBone / Series / PC "exclusives) coming down
That’s not at all what I take from that statement, rather the opposite. It’s Sony’s loss that they cannot produce more consoles while they have system selling exclusives while Xbox does not because its a lost oppurtunity to establish a wider userbase(which will further drive sales) while their main ”opponent” has less to offer in terms of next gen experiences.

Last edited:
That’s not at all what I take from that statement, rather the opposite. It’s Sony’s loss that they cannot produce more consoles while they have system selling exclusives while Xbox does not because its a lost oppurtunity to establish a wider userbase(which will further drive sales) while their main ”opponent” has less to offer in terms of next gen experiences.
Indeed. MS would probably be happy if there was zero supply of either console until at least Halo launches. Sony definitely would not be.

As long as these current generation shortages keep plaguing the companies, I think Nintendo will most likely continue to dominate and who knows what will happen when the Switch Pro comes out. Sure, it will probably have shortages as well, but what numbers will Switch be at by the time Nintendo ramps up production on the Switch pro? Not to mention that Microsoft and Sony will probably have a visually enhanced and new Switch to deal with along side the regular Switch.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned

How does Sony has less to offer in terms of next gen experiences when it's the only console that is offering next-gen experiences? How can you say in the same paragraph that Sony offers system selling exclusives and has less to offer in terms of next gen experiences?

As long as these current generation shortages keep plaguing the companies, I think Nintendo will most likely continue to dominate and who knows what will happen when the Switch Pro comes out. Sure, it will probably have shortages as well, but what numbers will Switch be at by the time Nintendo ramps up production on the Switch pro? Not to mention that Microsoft and Sony will probably have a visually enhanced and new Switch to deal with along side the regular Switch.

Neither Sony, nor Microsoft cares about the Switch that much, in all honesty. It does not eat into their hardware sales, let alone their software sales: Third party developers will never abondon the more powerful machines, which their in-hous engines have been targeting. It's good news for Nintendo, but I fail to see how it affects the other two in any way, shape or form.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

B) Sony is not outselling its main competitor more than 2:1. What would be now 2.8 vs 1.3M will be 11 vs 5 by end of year.

For sure they are losing sales, but so is everybody else. It's not bad news for Sony, it's bad news for Nvidia, AMD, etc.
It is about opportunity, sooner or later MS’s studios will start to get content out and they do have quite a few teams and their GamePass strategy is also more amenable to more content even if slightly smaller titles. The easiest time for Sony to sell PS5’s and generate a lead is now, not impossible to do so later too, but now they could do it more easily.

Then again, PS5 is shipping units close at or slightly above PS4 levels launch aligned soooo…

Kerotan

How are these numbers awful for Sony? Production is ramping up and they are on track to achieve over 11M sales in 2021. They will likely surpass 12M even. Of course, considering these numbers are legit or somewhat legit.
I suppose he means Sony could have sold 10M in the quarter if they had the stock. All 3 consoles could have sold more so it's a shame.

skit_data

How does Sony has less to offer in terms of next gen experiences when it's the only console that is offering next-gen experiences? How can you say in the same paragraph that Sony offers system selling exclusives and has less to offer in terms of next gen experiences?
That’s certainly not what I am saying.

Let me spell it out:

The situation right now:
-PS5 has next gen experiences in the form of games developed for it.
-Xbox does not have any next gen experiences in the form of games developed for it.

In a year:
-Both will have it to some extent, more or less

An analogy:

-I have icecream that I can sell, my delivery arrived this morning. I am Sony.
-My main competitor right next to my shop has not yet gotten their delivery of icecream from their factory. He is Xbox.

Everyone wants to buy icecream, but to buy icecream people have to take the bus(this is the console) Unfortunately the bus broke down(this is an analogy of console shortage) so nobody can buy icecream. Who has made the biggest loss in terms of potential profit? Who would want the bus to be broken another day so that their ice cream delivery arrives so that they can capitalize on the unfortunate events.

Sony in this case has the biggest loss in potential profit, whereas Xbox can capitalize on the console shortage until their ice cream arrives.

yurinka

Those are awful numbers for Sony and MS if true. Series numbers in particular are a disaster. Not that there’s much they can do about it.
This numbers meant the PS5 has been the best selling console ever until that point. And probably meant Series X|S was the best selling Xbox console ever until that point, or something close. They aren't bad numbers at all, specially considering that both didn't sell way more because they were supply constrained due to the chips issue and -with Series S as exception- were constantly sold out everywhere.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
It is about opportunity, sooner or later MS’s studios will start to get content out and they do have quite a few teams and their GamePass strategy is also more amenable to more content even if slightly smaller titles. The easiest time for Sony to sell PS5’s and generate a lead is now, not impossible to do so later too, but now they could do it more easily.

Then again, PS5 is shipping units close at or slightly above PS4 levels launch aligned soooo…
The PS5 will easily outsell the Xbox 2:1, probably even more.

Dodkrake

Banned
That’s certainly not what I am saying.

Let me spell it out:

The situation right now:
-PS5 has next gen experiences in the form of games developed for it.
-Xbox does not have any next gen experiences in the form of games developed for it.

In a year:
-Both will have it to some extent, more or less

An analogy:

-I have icecream that I can sell, my delivery arrived this morning. I am Sony.
-My main competitor right next to my shop has not yet gotten their delivery of icecream from their factory. He is Xbox.

Everyone wants to buy icecream, but to buy icecream people have to take the bus(this is the console) Unfortunately the bus broke down(this is an analogy of console shortage) so nobody can buy icecream. Who has made the biggest loss in terms of potential profit? Who would want the bus to be broken another day so that their ice cream delivery arrives so that they can capitalize on the unfortunate events.

Sony in this case has the biggest loss in potential profit, whereas Xbox can capitalize on the console shortage until their ice cream arrives.

That makes more sense. Thank you

Given Sony actually gives us numbers, it's probably closer to the 3.3M they said shipped. I do believe the Series X numbers though. Personally, I think they are trying to look as if they are in as much demand as the PS5 by holding back stock so it's also sold out, when in truth the demand is much smaller. Looking at EBay and the Series X is only reselling for $200-$250 above the MSRP. On the other hand, the PS5 is selling for $500-$600 above MSRP. This means the Digital PS5 is selling for more that the Series X is.

All the game consoles are selling out, its a matter of output.

Microsoft either didnt have confidence on their consoles, or they simply guessed the right maxium sell through. Cause Sony clearly underestimated, and now its difficult to raise the output.

Hezekiah

Banned
Get real most of them aren't coming out until 2023, and Series S/X will be outsold regardless. What Sony and Microsoft are both missing out on is the opportunity to sell more games, accessories and subs to soften the blow of the hardware being sold at a loss. MS also has the GamePass bill it's footing.

Unknown?

I'd say PS5 is probably much closer to 3.3 million than these numbers due to how fast the sell out everywhere.

PS5 is doing better than PS4 and the gap between it and Xbox is larger than PS4 and X1 last gen.

He has nothing really to do with that... he is busy making expensive advertising for PSNow and obsessing over what Xbox is doing.
hmm strange take.

I'm pretty sure most of 2020 phil, greenburger, xbox representatives and xbox twitter account spent a year tweeting console war shit and smack at sony; while sony and by proxy Jim never mentioned them once.

Sony on the left, Phil on the right

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Guys, sales dont matter any more. High metacritic scores dont matter. Games themselves dont matter. What matters is user engagement and monthly user activity. Its not about success, its about experiences. Sailing the high seas with your friends on sea of thieves or in twitter comments section of literal who insiders chasing clout and attention talking about how great Halo will be. Its about going to game forums and evangelizing gamepass and how your a sucker if you still buy your games. Nintendo and sonys success is temporary even if they have worldwide appeal for over 20 years.

Games themselves are over rated and dont matter because its all about gamepass now. If you dont agree you have an archaic, backwards view of where this industry is headed.

Last edited:
Those are awful numbers for Sony and MS if true. Series numbers in particular are a disaster. Not that there’s much they can do about it.
Xbox added 3 million gamepass subscribers. Thats the more relevant number for them. Their console sales numbers are becoming less and less of a relevant metric for them as a company.

elliot5

Guys, sales dont matter any more. High metacritic scores dont matter. Games themselves dont matter. What matters is user engagement and monthly user activity. Its not about success, its about experiences. Sailing the high seas with your friends on sea of thieves or in twitter comments section of literal who insiders chasing clout and attention talking about how great Halo will be. Its about going to game forums and evangelizing gamepass and how your a sucker if you still buy your games. Nintendo and sonys success is temporary even if they have worldwide appeal for over 20 years.

Games themselves are over rated and dont matter because its all about gamepass now. If you dont agree you have an archaic, backwards view of where this industry is headed.
You added a lot of quality insight to this thread with this comment! Keep it up!

NullZ3r0

Banned
My point exactly.

In a non-Covid world, and assuming that Covid isn't the cause of the MS first party game delays, Sony would be slaughtering MS due to the dearth of first party content. The iron is extremely hot but, supply issues on all fronts should allow MS first party to get up to speed and make this generation interesting.

If Starfield hits this fall, things could get dicey for Sony because the way everything is backloaded to 2022-2023, MS could potentially have a release cadence of at least two AAA game releases per quarter for the next few years.

Dabaus

Banned
You added a lot of quality insight to this thread with this comment! Keep it up!

It’s par for the course, best to ignore him and let him shout into the void.
I thought my sarcasm was obvious but maybe it wasnt?? I thought: "Games themselves are over rated and dont matter because its all about gamepass now" was a dead giveaway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom