• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions is great

JoduanER2

Im really loving Quake Champions. Its fast like old school Quake and requires a lot of skills. The graphics are great and it has a At the moment the developers seem to have abandoned the support for the game (?) (last patch was in June), and the player base is really thin, which is dissapointing because the game is great but it is still in Early Access. If it had more support i bet it would be a success because is a very good arcade like shooter. My wish is they add more weapons, maps because it feels there should be more.

Someone else like this game?

Gore System

Grand Final from Quakecon 2019

Last edited:

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I enjoyed it, a lot. Gave me those early pc gaming feels of yesteryear.

What made me stop playing was the lame character specific abilities. That made me uninstall the game after a week of playing.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I put over 100 hours into it and had my fill. There's a few reasons the population is thin:

- PC only. Unless your name is counter strike, you should probably have a console version.
- Spent too much time in early access.
- Not enough waifus. Sex sells. "Naw bruh lets add this ugly motherfucker:"

QC_Nov_Update_HERO_1920x870.jpg

JoduanER2

No. The devs ruined it. It launched in a better state than it is today. That gore system is crap doesn't add anything to quake. The current one you also currently have to disable to save on FPS. GAAS was the absolute worst thing to happen to quake.

From a technical perspective its well optimized. I get 144fps at 1080p with a GTX 1070 and a i5 9400f, with the gore system activated and almost everything maxed.

JoduanER2

I put over 100 hours into it and had my fill. There's a few reasons the population is thin:

- PC only. Unless your name is counter strike, you should probably have a console version.
- Spent too much time in early access.

QC_Nov_Update_HERO_1920x870.jpg

I dont get why they the devs are soo "lazy" with this game. It should be profitable. What is happening with the devs...

Shifty

Eh. It had potential, but the hero ability stuff doesn't iterate well on Quake 3.

Also I always had a horrific time actually getting into a match. For whatever reason the client would always time-out, then immediately join upon forcibly restarting the application.

Helios

It's a good game but the engine sucks ass and they keep trying to optimize it and it keeps getting worse. That combined with the fact that arena shooters are an extremely niche genre, I'm surprised the game still gets updates. It's unfortunate because the class system isn't as bad as people make it out to be and picking a certain champion is not going to win you games. You still need skill.
The matchmaking is also not that great. Someone new queues in and they're just going to get pub stomped into the ground. Not a fun experience.
It's an arena shooter. Who the hell will play such a thing with a controller?
No.

Tygeezy

The game is fun, but I hate all the waiting. Hit queue button, wait 2-5 minutes to find a game. Wait while game loads, once game loads wait another minute for the round to start. Once the round ends they make you wait and stare at the finishing place screen; then it has a countdown wait again before you can queue for another game... and you guessed it... wait.

Why this game doesn't have a server browser or ability to just run back your last game with the people in the server is one of lifes great mysteries.

JoduanER2

The game is fun, but I hate all the waiting. Hit queue button, wait 2-5 minutes to find a game. Wait while game loads, once game loads wait another minute for the round to start. Once the round ends they make you wait and stare at the finishing place screen; then it has a countdown wait again before you can queue for another game... and you guessed it... wait.

Why this game doesn't have a server browser or ability to just run back your last game with the people in the server is one of lifes great mysteries.

Yep, theres a lot of things to fix, like long loading times, but what we have is great so far. If the devs start releasing more patches it could be really good.

MiguelItUp

I'm pretty sure I put somewhere between 80-100 hours into the game. I LOVED it, a lot more than I thought I would. I'm a huge DOOM and Quake fan, and I've been wanting proper arena shooter multiplayer to come back for forever. Quake Champions feels good in a lot of ways, but it also suffers from an identity crisis.

The engine has been incredibly spotty for a LOT of players. For some, it's perfect, for others it lags, crashes, etc. Patch after gigantic patch the issues still remain, or even get worse for some.

I was SO deep into the game for awhile, but then I was playing it SO much that I was slowly burning out. So, I waited for more content to come to feel refreshed. It never really came... When it did, it just didn't feel substantial.

It's honestly bleeding out at this point, it's been for months. The community is getting smaller and smaller, and the queues are getting longer and longer. I'm pretty sure they've halted all deep development on the game. I doubt we'll ever see anymore substantial content. From here on out it's only catalog rotations and new things to buy in the marketplace. Well, and maybe more and more tech updates and patches. They made a new Quakecon 2019 skin for a weapon again, and some limited nameplates and icons. But that's it.

Quake NEVER should've been a hero shooter.

At this point I'm just really hoping for a remake of the first Quake that includes campaign, multiplayer, and coop. Hell, I wish we'd get that with DOOM too honestly. :(

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
First of all, they got cocky
"it's just for the PCs because consoles can't handle it"

Then, they lost direction
- it has heroes because fuck it, will do the same thing as everyone
- an arena based shooter with no fucking Capture the Flag
- bad level design with poor open areas
- everyone now is kinda of a bullet-sponge and is hard to get a one shot kill
- new hero that is basically the engineer from Team Fortress

MiguelItUp

- an arena based shooter with no fucking Capture the Flag
One of the saddest things is that they DID add CTF but it was WAY too late. So late that I didn't even get to check the mode out cause of the population. It's dead AF last few times I tried before giving up.

Aintitcool

Banned
From a technical perspective its well optimized. I get 144fps at 1080p with a GTX 1070 and a i5 9400f, with the gore system activated and almost everything maxed.
At launch I got 144fps too. For an ID engine game it is not. Do you play doom at 1080p? These maps are small, the player count is small. The discussion about performance became embarrassing when this teams new game World War z or whatever came out and did more with the engine with less performance costs.(Many AI's on map, big levels, co-op)

Last edited:

Other than the terrible engine, optimization, shit ui and questionable netcode, this part is what truly kills it. The downtime between matches is suuuper long (And always was, even during the brief periods where the playerbase spiked). One of the best about Quake was being able to quickly hop in a server and continually play. If you had a good game with good people, you'd all stay for the next map and continue. QC just dumps you back to the title screen and then wait minutes on end just to find another match with a new group of randoms. Guaranteed to drive off casuals. All seemingly because of their stupid lootbox system, which since became the crappiest season pass ever.

One of the saddest things is that they DID add CTF but it was WAY too late. So late that I didn't even get to check the mode out cause of the population. It's dead AF last few times I tried before giving up.

And even then they botched that by having it be "turns" since they didn't create any traditional symmetrical ctf maps.

Last edited:
Had a lot of fun with it last year, but yeah it's got a lot of issues. Very slow initial load time made it a bit of a pain to launch as time went on.

On the plus side: this music track is incredible and made me hyped every time:

Last edited:

Helios

Had a lot of fun with it last year, but yeah it's got a lot of issues. Very slow initial load time made it a bit of a pain to launch every time.

On the plus side: this music track is incredible and made me hyped every time:

It's mf-ing Andrew Hulshult. Of course it's going to rock.
At launch I got 144fps too. For an ID engine game it is not. Do you play doom at 1080p? These maps are small, the player count is small. The discussion about performance became embarrassing when this teams new game World War z or whatever came out and did more with the engine with less performance costs.(Many AI's on map, big levels, co-op)
They were using an older engine than what ID used for doom 2016

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Are people really fucking seriously honestly asking for "waifus" in a Quake game? Like, really? Reallyreally???

Tesseract

Banned
i like it but it's a failed species because of the dopey champion system --> abilities are all over the place

if they put all the abilities into one champ and cleverly packed them around the maps, the game would be in a far better state

and they need to burn ALL the maps and start over, they are cramped beyond belief

Last edited:

Helios

Well that can explain why every patch performance worsened. Small team patching a big engine made by others and outdated. Makes sense.
Yup. Alongside that the team was split between some ID guys and Saber Interactive (the WWZ devs). So maybe that also had something to do with it also.
There's a great video on the game by a guy named nerdslayer that details the problems that the game faced. Most of them have already been acknowledged in this thread but it's still a good video.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Highly recommend that video 👆, it's an entertaining watch, and nails it on the head.

All in all, it's just really sad.

I'm still salty about Epic shelving the new Unreal Tournament. :(

Tesseract

Banned
Yup. Alongside that the team was split between some ID guys and Saber Interactive (the WWZ devs). So maybe that also had something to do with it also.
There's a great video on the game by a guy named nerdslayer that details the problems that the game faced. Most of them have already been acknowledged in this thread but it's still a good video.

good stuff bro, never saw this

Fuz

Banned

I've seen just the first minutes, probably watch it all later but... he forgot the existance of Quake 4 and he doesn't have a very deep knowledge of Q1~Q3.

Last edited:

amnesia

The biggest mistake was letting Saber use that pile of trash engine. The game would be so much better if they'd used idtech 6. I just want a Q1 remake made by id. Then I can die with a smile.

wipeout364

I really enjoy it but I do have a love hate relationship with the game. The game crashes my computer more than any other. It frequently hard locks my computer requiring a full restart. I have spent some nights trying to get the game to work and load properly and got so frustrated I just said screw it and played something else.

That said it’s the only game of its kind getting any kind of support and I love it. Console support would make no difference to the PC audience, the game would be unplayable with a controller it’s way too fast and has no aim assist that I can tell.

Unfortunately the game is not growing and will be lucky to stay alive, I keep playing but am fully expecting Bethesda to call it a day in the next 12 months.

I play on Steam, I’m not very good, but PM me your user name and I will add you as a friend mine is the same as my neogaf name. I usually play a couple of times a week.

Helios

I've seen just the first minutes, probably watch it all later but... he forgot the existance of Quake 4 and he doesn't have a vert deep knowledge of Q1~Q3.
He's more of an MMO guy rather than an FPS one. I do think he mentions Q4 a bit down the line though.

Lowked

Neo Member
Played about 160 hours of it so far, I agree with you on the maps, especially ctf and duel maps. Maybe instead of the crappy battle pass loot they should add maps to the battle pass.

TUROK

Yeah, I really dig the fast pace of it..I'm not very good, but I'm getting better.

Calling it a hero shooter is an exaggeration. You just have a unique weapon that changes based on your character choice, and that weapon still requires skill to use. You're not gonna get a kill with it if you don't know what you're doing.

It'll be nice while it lasts, but arena shooters are niche as fuck, so it probably won't last too long.

Shifty

Quake Champions is alright, but it hates my machine for some reason. I can't get into a match without force-killing the client and reconnecting during matchmaking.

To me it just feels like Quake 3 plus some extra bits they didn't need to add. I ended up going back to Quake Live to try and stay afloat amidst the sea of godlike players who never left the game, to some success.

Thankfully there's one decent server called Mrs Miggins' Sweaty Pie Shoppe still going strong- it's run by a bunch of eccentric brits so I fit right in. Shame about the autistic shit-talkers though...

unreal was brought back you goofy mother fucker, nobody plays it but me and a handful of committed super saiyans

it's free, no excuses, join us!
Holy shit, you're one of the brave few?

When I last checked two years ago it was nothing but instagib servers as far as the eye could see.

Last edited:
Top Bottom