• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quakecon 2021: QUAKE available now for PC/PS4/XB1/Switch, updated original w/new expansion +split screen, cross play, and more

It's on gamepass so I downloaded it. Playing it with controller sucks. Played in on PC in 96 when it was released and I noticed I remember the maps quite well still.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's on gamepass so I downloaded it. Playing it with controller sucks. Played in on PC in 96 when it was released and I noticed I remember the maps quite well still.
I know it is not what a pro should do, but on Switch and PS4 you can use motion control to tweak your aim (maybe some auto aim too) and you can play decently on normal too.

Doczu

Holy shit the stick settings on PS4 are just damn shitty. I just can't get both axis to work correctly, the dead zone is quite big and after that it goes from 0 to 60 too fast 😐

Lucky8BB

Banned
I wanted to buy this remaster but it looks like my steam version was upgraded to remaster for free :p. New expansion is awesome and I have to say N64 version has the best CRT filter I have ever seen, it's literally like playing on the real CRT.

Chiggs

Pretty incredible that achievements aren't turned off when you enter console commands, like noclip or god. Wonder how long that will last.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I just beat the base game. Episode 4 wasn't great, and the final boss was awful (what were they thinking?). But the rest is awesome.

AI wasn’t comparable today, boss fights during the 90s was just more bit points typically and a set sequence to avoid being hit.

Plenty of expansions for you now to play, I’m trying to play through in order so haven’t gotten to the completely new one yet.

sn0man

There will be!

Limited Run Games on Twitter: "We're loading up physical Quake pre-orders on Aug 27th! Choose from the Standard, Deluxe, and Ultimate Editions on PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch via https://t.co/uFFLbeCnQB! https://t.co/jVnAUjmlVQ" / Twitter

PS4 and Switch are getting physical releases in standard, limited, and collector's edition variants. I really wish Xbox would have gotten one, but I believe there is a thing where Microsoft or LRG requires a certain number of discs to be produced? Not too sure, to be honest. Maybe someone who knows more about that situation can shed some more light on it.
I wish PS5 was getting a physical. 120FPS seems like a fun thing to have and try though without mouse / keyboard support it might not matter.
Is there a definitive favorite? Also don't they have RTX now?
So… they’re all so different but see my thoughts below.
Each iteration used a new idtech engine that continued to improve and grow with each game.
Because of this I would start with quake 1. This was a time where each id software game was a new engine, wolfenstein, doom, doomII, quake, QII, Q3A and each time a big jump.

to experience what us old bastages experienced I would start with quake 1 as I assume you played doom or doom II even for 30 min at a friends house. If not go grab the demo for doom and start there.

As for story many have said that Lovecraftian term a few times for Quake and I think it rings true.

honestly quake II in retrospect while good is also to me the most… well kinda generic. I say that as a huge 1990s id software fan. There is nothing wrong with QII but more that it’s a sci-fi story told through FPS. Elements that were fresh for me as a teen in the 1990s will feel hella generic if you’ve played a lot of modern sci-fi FPS. That said it’s still good.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I wish PS5 was getting a physical. 120FPS seems like a fun thing to have and try though without mouse / keyboard support it might not matter.

So… they’re all so different but see my thoughts below.

Because of this I would start with quake 1. This was a time where each id software game was a new engine, wolfenstein, doom, doomII, quake, QII, Q3A and each time a big jump.

to experience what us old bastages experienced I would start with quake 1 as I assume you played doom or doom II even for 30 min at a friends house. If not go grab the demo for doom and start there.

As for story many have said that Lovecraftian term a few times for Quake and I think it rings true.

honestly quake II in retrospect while good is also to me the most… well kinda generic. I say that as a huge 1990s id software fan. There is nothing wrong with QII but more that it’s a sci-fi story told through FPS. Elements that were fresh for me as a teen in the 1990s will feel hella generic if you’ve played a lot of modern sci-fi FPS. That said it’s still good.

I can see that. Personally the game runs so smooth, even on Switch, that I don't mind the lack of 120 FPS or really think it needs it. Would be a neat option to have though for those interested.

Also agreed wholeheartedly on Quake II! Good game, but it feels not nearly as interesting as Quake 1. Doesn't help that there isn't that cool variety in level concepts and art design like with the original. I did soften up to it over time and mostly treat it as an "alternate universe" that is combined with Quake 1 in Quake Arena and Quake Champions. I think even the devs thought this as that is kind of the lore to Quake Champs.

Banned
Holy shit the stick settings on PS4 are just damn shitty. I just can't get both axis to work correctly, the dead zone is quite big and after that it goes from 0 to 60 too fast 😐

the stick aiming in this game is among the worst I've seen in recent memory.

gigantic dead zone and aim acceleration, and not only any aim acceleration but basically the worst kind (activates as soon as you move the stick instead of when hitting the outer edge) which even the worst devs stopped using for over a decade, but whoever was responsible for the controller settings didn't get the memo from 20 years ago that this sucks ass.

Wonder why they made it so convoluted to find Quake 64 on here. I think a lot of people had no clue there was Q64 included with this and you have to "activate" it. Weird.

bender

What time is it?

gigantic dead zone and aim acceleration, and not only any aim acceleration but basically the worst kind (activates as soon as you move the stick instead of when hitting the outer edge) which even the worst devs stopped using for over a decade, but whoever was responsible for the controller settings didn't get the memo from 20 years ago that this sucks ass.

The most recent Doom ports got patches so hopefully they'll listen to community feedback.

MrA

Banned
Wonder why they made it so convoluted to find Quake 64 on here. I think a lot of people had no clue there was Q64 included with this and you have to "activate" it. Weird.
maybe to try to make sure people know that downloadable mods will be a thing? If I was making the effort to curate mods for a console release, I'd like to encourage people to use that feature.

Doczu

It is and i don't know how they messed it up like this.
At least every PS4 review that doesn't mention the controller issues is a paid ad for the game.
The most recent Doom ports got patches so hopefully they'll listen to community feedback.
I really hope so, because as of now, the game is borderline unplayable to me and i'm pissed i paid for it. The content and changes may ve great but i can't play this shit and i'm angry i'm itching for a refund. Reviews be damned!

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Having so much fun with this on PC. Haven't really touched the "campaign" since the original release, so I hardly remember anything. Doesn't matter, though, since it's the controls, setting and quakeness of it all that makes this game so great!

bender

What time is it?
I really hope so, because as of now, the game is borderline unplayable to me and i'm pissed i paid for it. The content and changes may ve great but i can't play this shit and i'm angry i've paid money for it. Reviews be damned!

I got through Episode 1 on normal (PS4) just fine but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't playing it like Doom and often forget I have the ability to look up/down or jump. In my defense, I was in the middle of a Doom 64 playthrough when this dropped.

Doczu

I got through Episode 1 on normal (PS4) just fine but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't playing it like Doom and often forget I have the ability to look up/down or jump. In my defense, I was in the middle of a Doom 64 playthrough when this dropped.
I got all the classic id fps games and i'm ngl - i went in blind. First and last time i did it. I may be overreacting, because i'm pissed, but the control issues are there and review outlets not mentioning ANY stick movement problems should have their dicks nailed to a board.

Just raised a ticket at bethesda and i kindly ask that anyone who feels the controls are off does the same. Pretty please. Maybe they'll patch it if enough people will get angry.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Played multiplayer with PC players tonight (I’m on Xbox and can’t find any controllers only game.) and yeah the controllers dead zone is really strange and archaic feeling. It’s quite jarring to come from playing Overwatch where the stick controls are about perfect to having to flick stick every shot due to deadzones.
Hope they clean it up a bit, because the rest of the game is fantastic!

Soodanim

Don’t tell anyone in the new games thread, but I bought this super cheap and played a few levels.

I was hooked. Good old fashioned honest to god gaming, pure fun. A true classic that I had ignored, updated and instantly playable on modern machines (I don’t know what older versions were like, but 0 effort is beautiful).

The only mistake was seeing what it was like playing with a controller. Again, no set up required, but I’m never ever playing this again without mouse, keyboard, and 144fps.

Edit: I’m enjoying this more than Doom, which is fun but never really clicked for me like Quake has.

Last edited:

Lucky8BB

Banned
Here's the fix for anyone experiencing inputlag in this remaster, enter this line into the launch options.

+r_rhirenderfamily "d3d11"

Game is way more responsive on my PC in D3D11 mode.

Banned
It is and i don't know how they messed it up like this.
At least every PS4 review that doesn't mention the controller issues is a paid ad for the game.

there's a reason I don't read reviews anymore, but I don't think money is the reason they don't talk about it. I really think that the reviewers are just highly incompetent or have extremely low standards, hence their opinion is worthless

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I absolutely appreciate that multiplayer in this game has a version of Q2dM1 “the edge”. One of the greatest FPS multiplayer maps of all time. It’s called DM7 in this game (original quake only had dm1-6). Plus you can play bots if you want!
*q3dm7

That map is like if God would be real and created MP maps:

78OcA380Rx7MqxdnK3jE9tMk0Vl3gR018IkPlYcccWMa3vbpuCLdQMKdiHjtHh0ptTB1e3j2NM5G9gTTZlFDbtuSdTuWusrhyPflCwjrKKqUuLEN9PQGq50CRN3r46bmDTRlb4CsmH0tu9w

MiguelItUp

Jesus, on Switch (and I'd imagine other consoles) the aiming isn't perfect, sure. But it's entirely playable. Going through on Nightmare didn't show me any radical frustration with controls. Devs on Twitter have already said they're looking into it. But come on, insinuating that it's broken, should be refunded, etc. Is pretty over dramatic, lmao.

Banned
Jesus, on Switch (and I'd imagine other consoles) the aiming isn't perfect, sure. But it's entirely playable. Going through on Nightmare didn't show me any radical frustration with controls. Devs on Twitter have already said they're looking into it. But come on, insinuating that it's broken, should be refunded, etc. Is pretty over dramatic, lmao.

you have the right to have low standards and be tolerant towards bad controls, but nah, the aiming is dogshit, and it's so easy to fix, which is what makes it infuriating.

they literally had to do additional work in order to make it as bad as it is. there is an old og Xbox port of this game that didn't bother with that and has better aiming controls as a result. that port simply did a 1 to 1 translation of mouse input to analog stick movement, as it should be.

and the even sadder part, the guy who did that port was also part of the team who did this version -_-

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

you have the right to have low standards and be tolerant towards bad controls, but nah, the aiming is dogshit, and it's so easy to fix, which is what makes it infuriating.

they literally had to do additional work in order to make it as bad as it is. there is an old og Xbox port of this game that didn't bother with that and has better aiming controls as a result. that port simply did a 1 to 1 translation of mouse input to analog stick movement, as it should be.

and the even sadder part, the guy who did that port was also part of the team who did this version -_-
I'm just really pleased with it period, glad it exists, etc. For me, the controls are the only issue, it was minuscule. But hey, to each their own. 🙃

A part of me honestly feels like this whole remaster was put together rather quickly. But they're aware and that's the important part.

Had a grand time playing coop with my GF, her on Switch and me on PC.

Lucky8BB

Banned

I'm playing on PC, so I'm happy with M+KB, but because of comments like yours I have also tried playing with xbox one gamepad and aiming is indeed really bad. But I dont think this is dead zone related issue (because thumbsticks register even a slight movement and that's not the case if dead zone is set too high), it has something to do with movement acceleration and it feels like playing with huge input lag. Aiming on gamepad in this game is not good for sure and I'm surprised they have overlooked such big issue.

Doczu

Controls are broken (to me). I can't have fun with the game. I don't want a refund, i want to play Quake on my PS4. If you find the controls ok, then good for you. I just can't play it the way it works now.
The Q64 port works better only because the enemies are dumber and move less/slower.

Chiggs

Totally agree. Not sure what crusty asshole some of these crybaby twats crawled out of, but I really wish they’d go back there.

$9.99, for fuck’s sake.

MiguelItUp

Controls are broken (to me). I can't have fun with the game. I don't want a refund, i want to play Quake on my PS4. If you find the controls ok, then good for you. I just can't play it the way it works now.
The Q64 port works better only because the enemies are dumber and move less/slower.
That's a shame, but fair enough. From what I saw the devs were on it. So I'm sure it'll be fixed soonly. 👌🏻

CamHostage

quake 1 just got an update on the eshop.
It support mouse and keyboard now. On the freaking switch lol

Whoa, that's crazy but so obvious and easy conceptually (I assume it's Bluetooth M&KB?) Mouse and JoyCon would be a killer combo.

Banned
yes fixed all of it

for real? Imma test that right now...

edit: yeah, they fixed the controls. but they labeled some of the options weirdly. pretty sure the acceleration settings, at least one of them, change the reaction curve not the acceleration... so you might have to tinker with the controls for a bit.
but it now has deadzone settings (sadly only inner deadzone, not outer deadzone... and the outer one still feels pretty large) and you can turn off the god awful "smoothing" as they call it (which is actually the acceleration setting)

Last edited:

Fake

Are they fixed the perfomance issue on PS4? The 'wellcome to quake' and when you use blast damage effect get a framerate drops.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
for real? Imma test that right now...

edit: yeah, they fixed the controls. but they labeled some of the options weirdly. pretty sure the acceleration settings, at least one of them, change the reaction curve not the acceleration... so you might have to tinker with the controls for a bit.
but it now has deadzone settings (sadly only inner deadzone, not outer deadzone... and the outer one still feels pretty large) and you can turn off the god awful "smoothing" as they call it (which is actually the acceleration setting)
they basically took the HALO code or something one of the devs stated.. since it's the same owned company now

smoothing is yucky

Last edited:
Positive changes all round really.
Still no option on consoles to disable the CRT filter on the Quake 64 levels. I'd sort of understand if they were somehow using the original N64 assets but the data was pulled apart almost immediately and it's no different to any of the other levels in the game. I really hope they add an option to disable it soon, at the moment I can play the original game on my N64 using an N64 Digital output and I really prefer it to this CRT filter.
Has there been any news on the current gen versions yet? Obviously fixes to the current version should take priority at the moment.

ShadowLag

Major update out, including fixes for stick controls, additions and fixes to modding support, and much more!

Here are the patch notes from Steam:

Update 1 includes improvements to user controls, the addition of bot support to multiple Deathmatch maps, improvements to bot functionality and several notable bug fixes

Improvements

Controls

• Improved analog stick input on controllers – now more responsive by default
  • Added deadzone, aim acceleration, exponent and aim smoothing options to tweak gamepad input in the Input Options menu

Map Improvements: Dimension of the Machine

• Hell or Dark Water (MGE3M2): added checkpoint spawns in co-op after traps section
  • Grave Machine (MGE4M1): added checkpoint spawns in co-op and fixed pain triggers around pentagram
  • A Grave Mistake (MGE4M2): added checkpoint spawns in co-op and pain triggers to prevent falling through and skipping them

General Improvements

• Save game process is faster on large levels
  • Hosts are now identified by an icon instead of a color to make it easier to distinguish for color blind players
  • Weapon wheel HUD element is no longer cut off on local multiplayer vertical split-screen

Online Multiplayer

• Removed visible game limit in match browser
  • Improved Scourge of Armagon client-side prediction

Bots

Added bot support for the following levels:
  • The Slipgate Complex (E1M1)
  • Castle of the Damned (E1M2)
  • The House of Chthon (E1M7)
  • The Elder God Shrine (E4M3)
  • Shub-Niggurath's Pit (END)
  • The Edge of Oblivion (HIPDM1)
  • The Pumping Station (HIP1M1)

• Improved bot melee attack, swimming and weapon selection behaviors
  • Added text dialogues for when bots make kills or get killed
  • Improved bot handling of elevators
  • Improved bot navigation on The Abandoned Base (DM3)

Misc. Improvements

• Added monitor select option

Control Updates:

• Added quick save and quick load key binds
  • Added default keyboard binds for the Laser Cannon, and Mjolnir in Scourge of Armagon

Note: Users with existing save data may need to bind these manually from the Input Options menu

BUG FIXES

Gameplay

• Fixed backward movement speed accidentally being set to walk
  • Game speed now correctly resets after using the Weapon Wheel
  • Resolved a bug that could result in the player getting stuck when jumping out of the water
  • Turning off friendly fire no longer prevents self-damage

Audio

• Fixed rare audio crash in Scourge of Armagon
  • Resolved issue that caused excessive clipping when multiple sounds play simultaneously
  • Resolved an issue in which the wrong audio track was playing during the Scourge of Armagon demo
  • Fixed an issue in which Track 11 was playing instead of Track 10 on Gloom Keep (E1M5), The Wizard’s Manse (E2M5), The wind Tunnels (E3M5) and Hell’s Atrium (E4M5)

Maps

• The Silver Key no longer shows up in Hell’s Atrium (E4M5) on Deathmatch
  • Fixed an issue in which some decals were oriented incorrectly in Scourge of Armagon
  • Fixed a lighting bug in The Door to Chthon (E1M6) that caused the darkened path to be lit prematurely
  • Darkened lighting on the roof to restore the original visual effect on Shub-Niggurath's Pit (END)

General

• Usernames with quotation marks now appear correctly in game
  • Spanish episode end slate text is no longer cut off
  • Texture smoothing setting restores correctly after deactivating the Quake 64 add-on
  • Fixed bug in which enhanced Ogre model would sink into ground plane after death

Online Multiplayer

• Resolved issue when sounds would drop and entities disappear or flicker during online play

Bots

• Resolved issue where bots would not grab needed pickups
  • Bots should now see all triggers and doors as shootable
  • Bots no longer linger in slime or lava for too long
  • Removed Bot support on maps that lack waypoints
  • Fixed issue in which bots tried to re-use single-use buttons and triggers

Misc.

• Fixed an issue in which the Max FPS option did not correctly display custom settings in drop down menu
  • Disabled GPU culling to improve performance in Dimension of the Machine

MODDING IMPROVEMENTS

The following changes apply to users who may be developing add-ons that work on the PC version of Quake

• Added the
    pr_checkextension
    cvar and
    checkextension ("QUAKE_EX")
    function in QuakeC to detect if the mod is running under the updated Quake client
  • Added the
    cl_nocsqc cvar
    (it is permanently set to 1 to indicate to modders that CSQC is not supported)
  • Removed the
    -heapsize
    command line parameter. It is no longer used in favor of a dynamically sized heap
  • Added
    FL_NO_BOTS
    edict flag (Instructs bots to ignore specified object(s) in QuakeC)
  • Added a QuakeC built-in for playing a sound on a client:
    void localsound( entity client, string sample ) = #80;

Added the following QuakeC built-in functions for drawing debug shapes on clients (these are intended to help mod authors visually debug logic in 3D space):
  • void draw_point( vector point, float colormap, float lifetime, float depthtest ) = #81;
  • void draw_line( vector start, vector end, float colormap, float lifetime, float depthtest ) = #82;
  • void draw_arrow( vector start, vector end, float colormap, float size, float lifetime, float depthtest ) = #83;
  • void draw_ray( vector start, vector direction, float length, float colormap, float size, float lifetime, float depthtest ) = #84;
  • void draw_circle( vector origin, float radius, float colormap, float lifetime, float depthtest ) = #85;
  • void draw_bounds( vector min, vector max, float colormap, float lifetime, float depthtest ) = #86;
  • void draw_worldtext( string s, vector origin, float size, float lifetime, float depthtest ) = #87;
  • void draw_sphere( vector origin, float radius, float colormap, float lifetime, float depthtest ) = #88;
  • void draw_cylinder( vector origin, float halfHeight, float radius, float colormap, float lifetime, float depthtest ) = #89;

• Added logic that resets AI state to neutral when activating the bot navigation editor
  • Added bot nav editor fullbright toggle key bind to F2
  • Added
    "CheckForFloor"
    flag to nav nodes (this can be used for drawbridges, floor traps, etc.)
  • Added
    "CheckForSolid"
    flag to nav nodes (this can be used for crushers, traps, movable walls, etc.)
  • Added ability to place nav nodes in shallow lava

Added the following cvars to change nav editor window positions:
  • nav_properties_xpos
  • nav_properties_ypos
  • nav_legend_xpos
  • nav_legend_ypos

Added
navEdit_defaultNodeRadius
to set preferred default nav node radius
Added ability to lock node height in place when moving nodes around
Added
navEdit_defaultNodeRadius
to set preferred default nav node radius
Added
navEdit_waterLookPointDist
to control how far away nodes will be placed in front of player when in water

MODDING FIXES

• Fixed an issue in which the save command was appending an "s" to the beginning of filenames, resolving auto-save in mods like “Copper”
  • Fixed Alpha not being applied to brush models
  • Restored original behavior of
    centerprint, sprint,
    and
    bprint
    built-ins to fix issues with mods expecting arguments to concatenate instead of a string format

Top Bottom