• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quality headphones.

kingbean

I've currently got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 80Ohm models. I do really like them, and I drive them with a cheap chinese DAC but it gets nice and loud when I need it and there isn't any noise.

I've only ever use closed back cans and never tried any semi open or open cans. Today I ordered some AKG K612 Pros so I'm hoping I like them.

It's kinda hard to buy something just to test out a different style of headphones, so I didn't want to spend to much but also not spend so little that I'm basically buying junk.

So who else here has some nice headphones?

Dark Star

Audio-Technica ATH-M40x

generally used for "studio listening" a very balanced EQ, dynamic range headphone.
Tuned flat for incredibly accurate sound monitoring across the entire frequency range.

https://eu.audio-technica.com/ATH-M40x

the 50x are more expensive but they have many mixed reviews.
safe to say the 40x are probably more balanced in the low end range for sure.

personally, i'd sacrifice some of that professional monitoring for a more "isolated" and "closed" experience.
price wise, a pair of bluetooth MPOW 59's are just fine for throwing in a backpack and casual enjoyment, 40 bucks? gimmie.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAJGGA2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Last edited:
I got the AUDIO Techica M50X. They are amazing, the clarity of sound is insane especially if you listen to a well produced album like Daft Punk - Ram for example. Its not a big bass machine but it never was meant to be. I have 2 more headphones (gaming) and its a joke how muffled and bland thr sound is coming from the m50x.

I had them for almoat 4 years and still work like day one,just the material is slightly getting worn out. Major recommendation from me for the m50x.

I'm more interested to know, what are the most comfortable headphones?

I'm going to assume they need to be supremely light like a feather, super comfy on the ears or around them even in hot climates, and maybe wireless, as no cord means more comfort.

Duellist

I just bought a pair of sennheiser HD 598 open back headphones. Awesome set of audiophile phones. Also come with a mic cord that will work for chat into ps4 controller.

Last edited:

camelCase

Hesh 2 wireless have treated me good for a couple of years but I'm no audiophile who knows the downlow on the impedance match all that

Last edited:

MultiCore

HD 800S with a Jotunheim.
I love this setup.

I also have some 32ohm DT770's, and some UE 900s's. All sound good for different uses.

EBE

I've got a pair of Samson SR850s for gaming but they're getting up there in age. Anything better for around that price range? Or should I just stick to the same model cans? I think my pair has sounded pretty good

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
I got the AUDIO Techica M50X. They are amazing, the clarity of sound is insane especially if you listen to a well produced album like Daft Punk - Ram for example. Its not a big bass machine but it never was meant to be. I have 2 more headphones (gaming) and its a joke how muffled and bland thr sound is coming from the m50x.

I had them for almoat 4 years and still work like day one,just the material is slightly getting worn out. Major recommendation from me for the m50x.

I'll second this, mainly because I used them a lot for mixing.

Very high quality headphones with an impeccable frequency range.

They aren't the top of the line, but if you want some really comfortable wireless earbuds that are waterproof, not pricey, and really great all-around, check out the Mpow Flames on Amazon. You can snag you a pair for $21.99 or less probably and they are awesome. I love mine.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have some Mad Dogs w/ Alpha pads, Senn 555, Grado 325i, Arctis 3 for gaming, and Skullcandy Grind for public transportation.

Considering they were $55, the Arctis 3 is surprisingly close to the way I remember my Grados being. I need to get those fixed up. They are on their 3rd set of gimbals because the plastic simply can't hold up to the prying force of the tip of the metal rods in them just from the pressure of being on your head for a year, so I want some metal gimbals. Then the standard grado cord is also so stiff that it breaks, so I need to get it rewired, probably with a detachable cord setup. I don't know exactly where I'd get that work done, but it would be nice to have them restored and in decent build quality (seriously, don't get Grados, they fall apart).

If I could just spend infinite money I'd get Beyerdynamic T1, Senn HD800S, Audio-Technica ATH-W5000, Denon AH-D7000, and Audeze LCD-3.

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
I carry 3 sets of headphones with me in my workbag everyday:

- Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless
- 1964 Ears (now '64 Audio) custom IEMs (swapped the stock 3.5mm cable for an AUDEZE lightning one)
- AirPods

... the B&W P7s are glorious, although the headband starts to hurt after maybe an hour or so and needs to be shifted a little bit. They support AAC and by all audiophile accounts, the wireless and wired modes sound essentially identical.

...the custom IEMs hardly ever get used anymore, which is a damn shame because they sound so so so so amazing. But once you've adopted that wireless life it's hard to go back to wired. I'm debating getting a 2-pin bluetooth cable so I can use them again but fear for the quality of the bluetooth receiver in them.

...the AirPods get used the most despite me having $1200 worth of headphones sitting in the bag with them. They are the most convenient to use and the sound on them is surprisingly much better than I would have expected.

Use a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 connected to a Sound Blaster X7 for my PC gaming.

I've tried so many kinds of headphones, and this is the current lineup I'm rocking for now. Been using this setup for a few years now so I'm sure the headphone itch will claim my soul sometime in the near future.

That's right, AirPods! In your Audiophile headphone thread!

Last edited:

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Grado RS-1 for home listening. Bought over a decade ago and still going strong. I’ve changed the foam pads a few times but everything else is original.

Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 for noise isolation when I’m out and about. Had to replace the stock cable with an aftermarket cable that has held up for years now.

Venture Monk plus earbuds for my daily beaters (podcast, nightly asmr., gaming) Sounds nice for earbuds, easy to pop in and listen. Don’t have to baby them because they’re super inexpensive.

lupi900

Neophyte
Use my Etymotic ER4SR for everything, since i need isolation and they sound fantastic with a netural sound sig.

Duellist

Not to high jack your thread kingbean and I know this thread is about headphones but what is a good headphone amp? Looking for something for my hd598's. Something portable thats relatively cheap and can hook up through the line out on my portable panasonic cd player or my phone.

kingbean

Not to high jack your thread kingbean and I know this thread is about headphones but what is a good headphone amp? Looking for something for my hd598's. Something portable thats relatively cheap and can hook up through the line out on my portable panasonic cd player or my phone.
I know it's kind of a no name brand, but I've got 2 FX-Audio DAC A6s and they can push my beyerdynamics and AKG 612s without any issue and even my roommates HD650s and those are 300ohms. Best part is its USB and less than 70 USD.

I've had great luck with them, no buzzing and the channel separation is great.

Probably going to get laughed out of the room but I'm holding out to see what Apple has in mind.

Hey, nothing wrong with that.

My new stand and headphones.

AohwqSv.jpg

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Probably going to get laughed out of the room but I'm holding out to see what Apple has in mind.

I think that is a perfectly reasonable position. I mean, I have HE-1000s, EMU Teaks, Oppo PM-3s and Fostec TH600s, but I still think Apple headphones have a shot at being great. In particular:

- Apple’s audio quality algorithm expertise with HomePod is really impressive, and similar technologies can be applied to headphones to improve the soundstage and noise cancellation

- I haven’t come across a pair of good wireless headphones. Apple integrating AirPlay 2 and their own airing protocol opens up the opportunity for very high quality audio with an easy pairing experience

- Apple build quality and materials are usually second to none

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
I've got the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7. I love them to death and recommend them wholeheartedly! There's also a new version of them that has noise cancelling.

Last edited:

Synless

For wireless I use both the Sony MDR-1000X or the Jabra elite 65’s (better than AirPods imo). I have a pair of M50s as well...

Jabra get the most use due to their portability and ease of putting away.

kingbean

Hey selling some barely used AKG K612pros for half off msrp.

70 bucks.

Nothing wrong with them I just liked them so much I wanted to get the k7xx.

Last edited:

lil puff

It's kinda hard to discuss headphones, because they re so personal to the individual.

Your ear shape, your head size, comfort level, fatigue tolerance... your amp, interface or converter

It only takes a few millimeters of movement of adjustment to change the response of headphones.
Even the manufacturers of headphones have difficulty taking the end user into consideration and they go thru pains trying to guesstimate and recreate the scenarios of the end user. They can barely test their own ideal frequency response, because they cannot predict how the user will fit the phones.

It's similar with monitoring. The manufacturer only knows their testing. They do not know the end users room response. It also will depend on whether you are a music listener or a mixer/production artist. Listeners want their sound to be hyped, the "happy face" curved response. Mixers need honest sound, no hype... sound that exposes the defects of their audio.

With that said... LOL , I think Sony does a good job for the price. I have never gone wrong on mid range Sonys for closed phones.
I use Sennheiser opens. HD600, I have grown to know and trust.

The best bet is to go to a place that has several options and allows testing with a running audio source. Also make sure they have a good return policy.

manfestival

For the record, I still use headphones that I bought 10 years ago. They still sound fantastic and were worth WELL beyond the value of the premium prices that I paid for them. I can totally see all justification now for dropping $500+ on headphones where in the past I found it almost absurd to drop around $100 for a pair.

Top Bottom