• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quality mode in CP2077 is not available on PS5 - possible reason inside

nosseman

We all know that the quality mode is not available when playing on a PS5 - it is for Xbox Series X.

Could the reason be Smart Delivery?

Quality Mode is not present on Xbox One or Xbox One X but it is present on Xbox Series X. Smart Delivery allows developers to pack in specific code/assets that only runs on Xbox Series X for example.

This is probably why they could have this feature on XSX but not on One or One X.

On the PS5 its different it appears. Sony does not allow specific code/features for PS5 - it has to be a new version. If they want a feature without releasing a completely separate SKU they have to put it in all the versions (or only PS4 Pro and PS5).

Could it be that? It was an "easy" thing to add Quality Mode for XSX with the help of Smart Delivery without releasing a separate "next gen patch/release" and hard/impossible to do the same for PS5?

If this is true it means that if they wanted Quality Mode in PS5 they had to put it in even in PS4 Pro and that would have been hard or impossible. 5-10 FPS at best if they even get it running with the hardware limitations.

nosseman

PS5 has a 60fps defaulted mode. A quality mode is just another mode line other Pro games.

Most likely it’s CDPR focusing more on the XB version.

Or its impossible for them to put in this Quality mode in PS5 without putting in it PS4 Pro also and they couldn't get it to run on PS4 Pro = would not pass QA.

Concern

So what's the verdict on this finally? Better to wait on a few patches and a price drop?

How does one version not even have a quality mode? Seems this was rushed out.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Good point OP. seems reasonoble.

Avoid playing this game on ANY Console, let the next gen patch arrive.

The game is a mess on Consoles BUT giving CDP track record, everything will be fixed in due time.

Skifi28

I think this is the first time I see people upset for not including a 30fps mode. I dont think it's worth it considering it's a first person shooter.

MaKTaiL

The reason is simple: PS5 code cannot be merged with the PS4 version so we only get the quality mode next year.

BeardGawd

Banned
I think this is the first time I see people upset for not including a 30fps mode. I dont think it's worth it considering it's a first person shooter.
I’ve compared both modes ad I’m normally a FPS junkie but the quality mode is hands down the better experience In this game.

Banned
it's simply not true that PS4 bc titles can't have PS5 specific modes.

-Star Wars Squadrons runs higher lighting settings on PS5.
-Ghost pf Tsushima runs at 60fps in resolution mode (and it doesn't have a 60fps mode on Pro to begin with)
-Days Gone also has a 60fps mode only on PS5.

these are all running PS5 specific modes not present in the PS4/Pro version

cormack12

Gold Member
It's because Microsoft's BC tech has native upscaling benefits. It doesn't need extra patches to use the horsepower.

Sony's boost mode is just applying more grunt to a sandbox performance profile.

So I'd guess they just change to 30fps and let the tech upscale everything else to 'quality levels' with no work from cdpr.

how well the older titles hold up on this next-gen hardware all thanks to the “Heutchy Method.” Simply, the newer hardware has more CPU and GPU power that can upscale the imagery using the higher resolution bitmaps and geometry already included in the game assets. These older games were designed with higher resolution assets that the hardware at the time could not handle 100%. Although the methodology is different with the Heutchy method, the best analogy we could come up with is – if you think about PC graphics and go back 10 years to play a game on a decent, but not top of the line PC of the day, the modern games at the time would have likely run adequately in a mid-range graphics settings where rendered textures, blooms, shadows, etc were balanced with a reasonable framerate that allowed the game to be playable. Now, bring that game forward to a PC that is a couple of GPU and processor generations newer and suddenly playing the game on “Ultra” settings is no challenge, allowing the player to experience the TRUE graphics that the game was designed with.

While this is an overly simplistic explanation, it is what it is at it’s core. The Heutchy method doesn’t aim to redesign the existing graphics or “remaster” the game. Instead, it just makes the newer hardware capable of rendering the graphics as designed, rather than as they would have appeared on the original hardware they were designed to run on. If you’re interested in reading more technical data, Microsoft filed a US Patent on the “Heutchy Method” in September 2017 which was approved in June 2019 under patent 10,311,548. You can also hear more about the method from the man himself, Eric Heutchy via The HanselMinutes Podcast which goes into a little more detail for those who want to know more.

I’ve compared both modes ad I’m normally a FPS junkie but the quality mode is hands down the better experience In this game.

Totally agree with this - tried both, if I was continuing my play through (I’m not, I’m going to wait for another patch or two) it would absolutely be in this mode.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
So what's the verdict on this finally? Better to wait on a few patches and a price drop?

How does one version not even have a quality mode? Seems this was rushed out.
I say wait if you're planning to play on console. I'm absolutely loving the game, but it clearly needs more time in the oven.

Last edited:
We all know that the quality mode is not available when playing on a PS5 - it is for Xbox Series X.

Could the reason be Smart Delivery?

Quality Mode is not present on Xbox One or Xbox One X but it is present on Xbox Series X. Smart Delivery allows developers to pack in specific code/assets that only runs on Xbox Series X for example.

This is probably why they could have this feature on XSX but not on One or One X.

On the PS5 its different it appears. Sony does not allow specific code/features for PS5 - it has to be a new version. If they want a feature without releasing a completely separate SKU they have to put it in all the versions (or only PS4 Pro and PS5).

Could it be that? It was an "easy" thing to add Quality Mode for XSX with the help of Smart Delivery without releasing a separate "next gen patch/release" and hard/impossible to do the same for PS5?

If this is true it means that if they wanted Quality Mode in PS5 they had to put it in even in PS4 Pro and that would have been hard or impossible. 5-10 FPS at best if they even get it running with the hardware limitations.
Then how Ghost of tsushima has a 60 fps mode only on ps5?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I think on Sony's side it's like this.
Game can run on PS4 -> Game can run on PS4 Pro -> Game can run on PS5 in either PS4 or PS4 Pro mode. (meaning, running the code for the ps4 game)

Only native PS5 games can leverage extra features.

this is more than likely it.. Sony problem doesn’t have a way or won’t allow a way to check for a ps5 in a ps4 game.

Drew1440

The OS doesn’t need GDDR6. But memory controllers do need quite a space in the chip (it doesn‘t scale down good). As you would additionally need a DDR3 controller, the chip would be bigger and more expensive. In the end it is cheaper to pay more for the GDDR6 and having just one memory controller.
I thought the Ps4 had a separate DDR3 memory pool for background and rest mode functions, albeit only 256Mb or around that figure, I assume the PS5 has a similar setup.

hoplie

Yes but afaik the 256 MB DDR3 RAM were for additional chips which were added for background tasks, not the APU. I assume PS5 doesn’t have a similar setup. You basically want to get rid of additional chips because of the costs. I guess APU in the PS4 didn’t have power saving features advanced enough, so they needed those low power chips for background tasks. But i guess PS5 is better in this regard.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's not worth it anyway, hardly anything looks better and that laggy controls sucks.

Top Bottom