• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Gamersyde preview. HQ gameplay inside.

Angel_DvA

That is funny. Looks great in motion though.

yeah it look a little bit better on motion but blurry as hell too, there is many screens I've could take but this one was funny, just take a look at his hair lol, wtf is this ? PS2 mocap ? ( hyperbole here )

just wtf lol :

31eebc8f94505b7f9df3d4619a55a97a.png

See now this makes sense im ok with it being like an everything is clear type thing i thought it was just happening randomly. Ill have to wait for more impressions from gaf honestly it just isnt jumping at me just yet.
Every Remedy shooter has had a cinematic finish to the last enemy in the scenario. Don't know if that bothers some, if so could make it a toggle in options menu.

T.O.P

Banned
that look terrible lol... I'm not sure if people are serious or trolling with the graphics looking good

Litterally 1 second later and it's already much better

qbzpopt.png

qb2nmo9s.png

Graphics looks fantastic, as from the stream i watched so far i heard lots of time people calling it one of the most impressive titles they've played

yeah it look a little bit better on motion but blurry as hell too, there is many screens I've could take but this one was funny, just take a look at his hair lol, wtf is this ? PS2 mocap ? ( hyperbole here )
That's just using the in-gameplay low-res character model. The cut-scene ones (which I think are still rendered in-engine as they've got some imperfections in shadows and other details) look definitely better:

xKqHQEt.jpg

The combat looks so fun. I love really mobile, snappy TPS gameplay and this looks to capitalize on that in a big way.

I also really dig how the environments look. Like they are generally just normal, every day places, but something about that clean modern look, and Remedy's careful placement of light sources gives them a slick, appealing look to me.

DOWN

Banned
Looks totally worth experiencing, but there's some distracting issues with it visually, blurry low resolution aside. Falls below initial expectations.

DOWN

Banned
What's with the floors though? They have really bizarre reflections that shift around too much relative to camera movement

Angel_DvA

That's just using the in-gameplay low-res character model. The cut-scene ones (which I think they're still rendered in-engine ad they present some imperfections in shadows and other details) look definitely better:

xKqHQEt.jpg

That look better but still, the game is really average looking, the IQ in general is pretty bad even if the cut-scenes looks way better, it below expectations and it's probably the fault of the engine, now the game could be great so i'm waiting like others to see how the game will turn at the end, Remedy always delivered so there is no reason to doubt them for now.

Zedox

Are all QB threads gonna be about graphics now? I'm so glad I'm not a graphics whore. Sheesh. Anyways, glad that some reviewers here like what they have played. I look forward to the fast pacing that's been talked about. I like doing combos in action games, reminds me of Max Payne in that sense (how many bad guys can I kill in this one bullet time jump? Aww, those were the days). I'm so hyped for this game (and I was first really not into it at all because it looked generic...but now it has piqued my interest)

That look better but still, the game is really average looking, the IQ in general is pretty bad even if the cut-scenes looks way better, it below expectations
It's a matter of tastes, I presume. While it could have done better in some areas, I was really pleased with its graphics expecially during firefights. Really like it and, IMHO, definitely not average looking.

Behlel

I watched it on a 55" and while not crystal clear is still absolutely fantastic to look at, shitload better than other "720p" titles

Have you tried it?
Yeah and i've tried a lot of game that on this forum have been smashed, this is too blurry and lack a lot of detail due to low AF and low quality shadow and texture.

It's a matter of tastes, I presume. While it could have done better in some areas, I was really pleased with its graphics expecially during firefights. Really like it and, IMHO, definitely not average looking.

No it's really not a matter of tastes. This game is objectively not average looking. The global illumination system alone is something that most games haven't even attempted to do, and the effects are just on another level entirely.

This is just another case of hypebole being thrown around before the release of a big game when people don't like the way it looks, but this game does not look "average". That's simply non-sense.

Bru

that look terrible lol... I'm not sure if people are serious or trolling with the graphics looking good, it's really under expectations besides the time effects, the gameplay looks pretty average too and the physics of the environment has no weight into it... on this two points, it's a failure.

b5bd09e6f25f0dd53b48943a142ae90d.jpg

I downloaded and paused the Gamersyde MP4 at that exact spot and it looks nowhere near as bad as that image would suggest. The example you posted is so compressed it looks like it's been run through a noise reduction filter, destroying fine detail and replacing it with that awful plastic sheen. Where the heck did you grab that travesty from?

etta

my hard graphic balls
We're talking final IQ as on the screen. Most of the time The Divsion has a better IQ and from my understanding it's mostly above 900p too.

As ever half the issue is people talk all kinds of things when discussion graphics.

QB has amazing effects, the distortion, particles, lighting, etc. but it pays a price in IQ and overall visual presentation to have them. It's soft and it's clearly not as sharp or overall good an IQ as a number of other games on XB1.

How could it not?

QB has to run on the same HW as games like The Division and ROTTR and it has to allocate more of the available resources (which are identical for all on XB1) to the effects and looses out on resolution and as a result one of the key drivers of great IQ.

It doesn't look bad, it looks very good. And it has amazing effects. But the visual IQ suffers vs games with less effects that can pump more of the available resources into overall sharp IQ.

Dark10x put it well in another thread I think:

"Also, I think simply saying it's 720p isn't giving it enough credit what Remedy is doing image quality wise. It's a very VERY soft looking game but also remarkably clean - almost like a pre-rendered movie at points. The low resolution doesn't result in ugly aliasing artefacts everything, it simply eliminates the sharpness you'd get at 1080p (which the PC version can deliver). It looks more like a Blu-ray player outputting at 720p versus a game rendered at 720p.

I've never had a problem with soft, blurred imagery but I recognize that many people will. It's one of those things that also hinges on the display used and the viewing distance. On my Pioneer plasma, the game actually looks quite remarkable and very clean - but on an LCD monitor from close proximity, the issues become much more apparent."

Remedy have done an amazing job on XB1 IMHO to have those effects and make 720p look as good as they have. But there's no mistaking from an IQ perspective they're making 720p look good and they can't make it look as good as a very clean and sharp 1080p (or 1080pr) game.
Good post, and personally I dislike the pixelization noticable for sub-native resolution far more than the softness it brings.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
that look terrible lol... I'm not sure if people are serious or trolling with the graphics looking good, it's really under expectations besides the time effects, the gameplay looks pretty average too and the physics of the environment has no weight into it... on this two points, it's a failure.

b5bd09e6f25f0dd53b48943a142ae90d.jpg

Download the file to get way better image quality, the stream uses a far less complex encoding tech and a lower bitrate.

I just paused the Gamersyde MP4 at that exact spot and it looks nowhere near as bad as that image would suggest. The example you posted looks like it's been run through a noise reduction filter, destroying fine detail and replacing it with that awful plastic sheen. Where the heck did you grab that travesty from?

Yeah I just looked at it too and didn't notice what was posted in the screen grab. It looks good to me...if anything might be some sort of DOF filter?. Though, I am not a fan of film grain filters in games...I think they look fucking nasty. Hopefully we can turn that off.

thelastword

Banned

just wtf lol :

Yeah, that part looked really bad to me, I thought it was kinda funny looking too. As I said in the other thread, cutscenes look nice, they look higher quality than what you get in-game, so char models look worse in-game due to the lower quality assets and blurrier details and resolution, well all due to the lower quality composition of gameplay graphics as a whole.

The cutscene animations however look bad; dead eyes, stiff skeletal movement, really bad and stilted facial animation. Some of the physics work is a mess and tying that to some of the less than stellar in-game animations, it's not surprising that the game can look janky as a whole.

SomTervo

I also really dig how the environments look. Like they are generally just normal, every day places, but something about that clean modern look, and Remedy's careful placement of light sources gives them a slick, appealing look to me.

Remedy are so good at this. I still think Max Payne 1/2 are unmatched for 'lived in' spaces which also function as action and gameplay spaces.

Angel_DvA

I downloaded and paused the Gamersyde MP4 at that exact spot and it looks nowhere near as bad as that image would suggest. The example you posted is so compressed it looks like it's been run through a noise reduction filter, destroying fine detail and replacing it with that awful plastic sheen. Where the heck did you grab that travesty from?

I took it from the french version of the video, I don't know if it's the same video for the english one.

Bru

Yeah I just looked at it too and didn't notice what was posted in the screen grab. It looks good to me...if anything might be some sort of DOF filter?. Though, I am not a fan of film grain filters in games...I think they look fucking nasty. Hopefully we can turn that off.

I don't think it's DOF, just a screen grab that's been compressed to mush.

As for graphics toggles? Banishing chromatic aberration to the hell it deserves was an unexpected perk in The Division. I can only hope Remedy give us similar options.

Zedox

Judging by this preview thread, the actual review thread is going to be a war-torn battlefield.

The review thread will have all of these battles taking place:

720p vs. Global Illumination
UWP vs. Win32
QB vs. UC4

Oh, it's going to happen. Let's get the popcorn ready. :)

just wtf lol :

Hahahahahah oh wow

Are the cutscenes in real time? The VA and facial expressions are absolutely nuts!

Angel_DvA

Download the original MP4 file, it has a 35 Mbps bitrate, our stream is only 8,5 Mbps max, thus the compression removes many details in motion.

It's what I'm doing right now, I know compression can affect visuals, especially if we compare youtube videos to GSY stream but the game won't look like a different game without it...

Top Bottom