• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Gamersyde preview. HQ gameplay inside.

Theorry

Overall, even though it is hit and miss at times, Quantum Break is still an impressive title technically. Remedy has made a very good use of PBR, volumetric lighting and all the post-process effects that give the game its personality. Character models, facial animations and cut-scenes also are very well done and there's a huge gap between this and Alan Wake. That being said, overall Quantum Break does not look as incredible as The Division on Xbox One, at least based of the first act. We'll have to wait and see the rest of the game to find out, hoping that the patch announced for this week will address the technical issues we've seen. Until then, keep in mind that all we said are only first impressions and, as such, should not be taken for granted.

Thanks to the implementation of unique powers and the presence of enemies that will come to get you if you remain behind cover, Quantum Break's gameplay may be a lot more dynamic and fast-paced than we expected. The very fact that the game seems to push the player to be as mobile as possible indicates that Quantum Break is not just a cover based shooter like so many. We'll wait until we see the remaining acts before we can can be entirely sure, but we like what we have seen so far.

From the little we've seen, Remedy seems to have once again nailed the narrative aspect of their game. It would have been quite surprising if they hadn't considering their previous work, but we are still relieved to see that the marriage of game and TV series plays out as naturally as it possibly could.

Gameplay vids

http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_quantum_break_gameplay_en_-36929_en.html

http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_quantum_break_visuals_en_-36928_en.html

Alot more vids in the link

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_gsy_preview_quantum_break-17691_en.html

zsynqx

Yes! Finally some high quality videos. Thanks gamersyde.

Edit: Watched the videos. The game generally looks really nice visually.

Reading comments like how QB doesn't look any better than Max Payne 3 and Alan Wake, and then watching that uncompressed gameplay video. Oh, man...

alouette

This looks so good. April can´t come soon enough. This will become a month of thatching the lawn and shooting 😁

This is why numbers alone don't tell the whole story. Seeing this game in action is in no way indicative of what you would expect upon hearing it's a 720p game.

I can't help but lol at the red colored propane tanks strategically placed around enemies in this game. My only other main gripe is the look of the main character, he looks too much like a guy who should be singing and dancing with NSYNC instead of running around shooting automatic weapons.

Honestly if you tell me this was a 1080p game I wouldn't call your BS. It looks fine, then again and I can't even tell when game like BF is running at 900p it all looks the same to me XD

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Damn, watching those vids at 1080p really highlight the fact that it's 720p. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since Alan Wake was the first game I played where the low resolution was noticeable to me. Still kinda disappointing since everything else besides the resolution in the game looks so good. It'll look amazing at higher resolutions on PC or maybe even on the Xbox 1.5.

atr0cious

Cool Back to the Future reference.

SVL0xFw.png

gossi

Honestly if you tell me this was a 1080p game I wouldn't call your BS. It looks fine, then again and I can't even tell when game like BF is running at 900p it all looks the same to me XD

Battlefield and Battlefront runs at 720p on Xbox One. Halo 5 runs there a lot of the time too, due to dynamic resolution scaling. In motion it doesn't really matter.

c0de

"KORNdog If QB was 60fps i'd see the benefit of that decision. Like battlefront. But to be 720p and have screen tearing and frame drops and LOD and IQ issues...its pretty shit. (7 Hours ago)"

image.php

Funny. Wonder when he will enter the thread.

Gurish

"Not looking as good as The Division on XB1", seriously?

I mean The Division looks amazing, but QB is a single player linear game, no way TD is looking better than it.

ShamePain

Banned
The most annoying thing about Remedy is that they take ages to produce their games, as good as they are there's absolutely nothing in QB that takes 6 years to make, it's a 7 hour linear shooter, doesn't have multiplayer and other core features, an experienced team of 150+ people like Remedy should spend 3 years tops to make a game like this. Again look at ND and Uncharted, comparable scope, hell Uncharted even has multiplayer, and that only took 2 years on lastgen, and 3 years on ps4 due to scrapped material. Just seems like mismanagement.

Galava

Can't wait to play this honestly. Loved Alan Wake, and if this is half as good It'll be awesome.

(I'm in for the story-telling, if the gameplay is average it doesn't bother me).

That 720p! My eyes are bleeding!

(am i doing this right?!)

Game looks incredible, will be my first windows 10 store purchase (start the stoning now!).

The most annoying thing about Remedy is that they take ages to produce their games, as good as they are there's absolutely nothing in QB that takes 6 years to make, it's a 7 hour linear shooter, doesn't have multiplayer and other core features, an experienced team of 150+ people like Remedy should spend 3 years tops to make a game like this. Again look at ND and Uncharted, comparable scope, hell Uncharted even has multiplayer, and that only took 2 years on lastgen, and 3 years on ps4 due to scrapped material. Just seems like mismanagement.
You forgot the development hell of Max Payne 3 that obviously cost them a couple of years before they sell it to Rockstar.

This is a screen I took after a fight in a library. Insane destructibility, and while fighting and with all the powers and explosions, that's incredible. And this is one of the least impressive fights in the game!

That's not direct feed, mind you. captured via screenshot feature, then streamed to PC and print-screened, so there might be some compression in the stream to PC.

mhfeLPQ.jpg

ShamePain

Banned
This is a screen I took after a fight in a library. Insane destructibility, and while fighting and with all the powers and explosions, that's incredible. And this is one of the least impressive fights in the game!

That's not direct feed, mind you. captured via screenshot feature, then streamed to PC and print-screened, so there might be some compression in the stream to PC.

mhfeLPQ.jpg

What exactly is supposed to look insane in this shot. Not seeing any debris.

Putty

Not a fan of the IQ must be said, but the special effects looks fabulous! Nice to see the framerate at least hit 30 99.9% of the time. Game looks fun.

EvB

I knew it was a nice looking game, but I've had to stop watching as I was smiling. That's a real 3rdd Wave next gen title

. . .there's absolutely nothing in QB that takes 6 years to make. . .
While I get your point that they seem to have very long production schedules, I like their eventual output. I mean, who the fuck really cares how long it takes them when the end products are impressive and fun experiences? Most developers should be so lucky as to have the luxury of taking their winding route to completion.

EGM1966

"Not looking as good as The Division on XB1", seriously?

I mean The Division looks amazing, but QB is a single player linear game, no way TD is looking better than it.
Is does though - at least on this footage.

QB has a lot of great effects, it looks amazing for 720p, more in line with a 900p game, but it's overall IQ is very soft and below that of 1080p games even open world ones viewing this footage.

But so what? They traded flashy effects and interesting gameplay mechanics for resolution which dropped overall IQ.

The game will do better if people stop wanting a narrative it's the best looking on the console (because it's not) and focused on what Remedy seem to have, which is interesting effects and gameplay.

It's certainly looking more varied than AW's one note flashlight mechanics which is great, and it looks much better than other 720p titles on XB1, which is also great.

If it's turns out to be a terrific game through your then that's good enough surely?

Alx

Looks fine to me, and most importantly fun. I didn't intend to buy the game, but now I'm warming up to the idea. :)

Speculation or information ? Not that I want to hate, I loved The Order 1886, eh !

EvB

Why all the naughty dog comparisons?

Naughty Dog have more than double the number of staff and is a wholly owned 1st Party Studio, that probably translates to 3x the number of development staff.
Remedy is an Independent developer.

I don't understand this as a criticism given that people complain we only enjoy sequels upon sequels upon sequels and all the big companies insist on anything successful being annual or Biannual.

Top Bottom