• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break is rarely mentioned among the best looking games but it looks very nice

hello505

I'm likeable
Fantastic PBR, lighting and asset quality. Only wish the textures weren't so blurry and image quality washed out at times. Here's are some shots (more to come):

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's a good looking game that still holds up. No 60 FPS patch unfortunately but at least the One X update made it run at a much higher resolution than the blurry One S version at launch.

Unfortunately the *GAME* part of the package is kind of a let down. Surprisingly I actually kinda liked the TV episodes they produced. They were fairly good production quality and had good cast.

But QB is probably my least favorite Remedy game.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Microsoft fucked me in the ass when I bought this game on the MS store. The MS store version doesn't play the cinematic sequences anymore, because MS took them all down. These sequences are like 50% of the game! And nowhere on the MS store does it warn you that the sequences aren't in the game anymore. I later bought a Steam key for like five bucks because I really wanted to play it. The Steam version still has the movies. That was like the third game I bought on the MS store, and it was also the last game I'll ever buy on there. I don't appreciate getting ripped off.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The scene when you find the time machine was probably one of the most impressive things I had ever seen in a game up to that point.
Let me not lie its still hella impressive im sad we might never get a sequel.
If i still had the game installed Id load up to that point and make gifs cuz apparently no one has made any of that scene.
TimeMachineQB6.jpg

Even the Stutter fight scenes were so cool, this engines post effects made those fights so so impressive, destroy the guys back pack and hes no longer immune to time stop so as hes dying he freezes in place.

P.S That Dr Amaral can get it.
C3MsCt3WEAAMYxw

GbeHLPf.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
oh man that game was trash... and I love remedy games.... well Control was also pretty bad (but better).

I hate that they changed the trailer main character to some Hollywood actor big name with the most punchable face ever.

Last edited:

Roberts

I don't really remember how it looked way back when it came out on XB1, but One X version was definitely one of the better looking games last gen. As much as I love Control, I don't think it looks as good.

oldergamer

Game was good. The combat was fun when u got powerful enough.

It felt like it was one level too short though. Should ha had a level when time stops

For anyone interested 13 monkeys the tv series took off in a direction where it rips off ideas from QB with time breaking down, violent stutters, characters wearing suits that let them move while time is broken, and a big battle at the end of time in a city designed to be a time machine.

ZywyPL

Banned
One of the best games of that generation for me. The visuals were and still are one of the best (on PC at least), the story was great, exactly my type, the gameplay/combat was awesome, I honestly lost count on how many times I've finished it, something like 10x probably.

Black_Stride

Windows Store itself was what I was referring to.
Get it on Steam....ohh but then you will have Steam DRM?
It wasnt the Windows Store that caused performance issues.

The game was DX12 when DX12 wasnt great.(Read as was horrible, Remedy didnt want to use DX12 at all)
The DX11 exe runs much better.
People would force turn off the Temporal upscaling.....at the time basically no hardware could run the game maxed out at native 1080p60, which is why the game had Temporal upscaling on by default and disabling the feature was hidden. (The engine has built in 4xMSAA)
So people immediately jumped to the game is broken.....no it was just ahead of its time, games should be forward looking and the tech in QB was way way ahead of GTX900 series.

ZywyPL

Banned

Depends which version you got - Steam one runs better in DX11, whereas the MS Store one shines in DX12. I personally wasn't able to get steady 60FPS with the Steam version, whereas MS Store one ran at 70+ on the exact same settings, so I refunded the Steam one.

Started it yesterday! PC.

Game is pretty heavy without the upscale option, but with it I get 100fps+

Turn down Volumetric Lightning to medium, higher settings do virtually almost nothing while eatting up like 20-30FPS, literally. Effects on Medium instead of High also unleash quite a bit performance. If those two are not enough, turn down reflections one notch down as well.

The upscaler (along with grain filter) completely destroy the image quality, which is a big part of the reason the game is so overlooked when it comes to its visials. The upscaler is only good if you play at 4K, everything below that is better at native resolution with toned fown settings instead (ESPECIALLY the volumetric light, you have only three spots in the game with god rays where you'll notice any difference at all).

TheGecko

Banned
I personally thought it was just a blurry mess of a game, looked like any other generic soft looking Unreal Engine clone.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Get it on Steam....ohh but then you will have Steam DRM?
It wasnt the Windows Store that caused performance issues.

The game was DX12 when DX12 wasnt great.(Read as was horrible, Remedy didnt want to use DX12 at all)
People would force turn off the Temporal upscaling.....at the time basically no hardware could run the game maxed out at native 1080p60, which is why the game had Temporal upscaling on by default and disabling the feature was hidden. (The engine has built in 4xMSAA)
So people immediately jumped to the game is broken.....no it was just ahead of its time, games should be forward looking and the tech in QB was way way ahead of GTX900 series.

So which bitter & twisted member of the Remedy Dev team are you..Should I look out for you on the games credits? :messenger_beaming:

Black_Stride

Depends which version you got - Steam one runs better in DX11, whereas the MS Store one shines in DX12. I personally wasn't able to get steady 60FPS with the Steam version, whereas MS Store one ran at 70+ on the exact same settings, so I refunded the Steam one.
When was the last update on the MS Store version.
Remedy abandoned that version pretty early unless im mistaken.
I got the game on VCR Xbox One, loved it.
Played on MS Store couldnt get to 1080p60 with a GTX970. (The whole reason i got the PC version was to see the game at its best)
Got the Steam version cuz all the early impressions said it was better.
And thats the version i spent the most time with, so i dont know when or if the MS Store version got updates.

So which bitter & twisted member of the Remedy Dev team are you..Should I look out for you on the games credits? :messenger_beaming:
ascendance-of-a-bookworm-secret.gif

fatmarco

That reconstruction method they used ruins the games visuals even at a higher native rendering resolution and that combined with 30fps doesn't help. Outside of that the game looks great visually.

Wouldn't mind a sequel although it really should just be bled into the Control sequel or Alan Wake sequel given the interconnected universe.

ZywyPL

Banned
That reconstruction method they used ruins the games visuals even at a higher native rendering resolution and that combined with 30fps doesn't help.

Well it's one of the first techniques, if not the very first one. Like I said in previous post - it does the job done when upscaling to 4k, as the native res is 1440p, so like in any modern upscaling tech like TAAU, FSR, DLSS, but going from a mere 720p back in the day made the game look like.... 720p really, because there's just so little information to bring up the missing pixels. Standing still did bring it very very close to native 1080p, as each one of 4 previous frames were almost identical, but as soon as you started moving around it looked like something from X360.

DaGwaphics

This was the only "DRM" in the MS Store version:
pirate_quantum_break1.jpg

The game made you wear an eyepatch.

You should know by now that Remedy dont use any DRM in their games.

That's hilarious, didn't know that was a thing.

This was a great game IMO, I wished there was more when it was finished. Slept on it for a long time, just played it recently.

GustavoLT

Turn down Volumetric Lightning to medium, higher settings do virtually almost nothing while eatting up like 20-30FPS, literally. Effects on Medium instead of High also unleash quite a bit performance. If those two are not enough, turn down reflections one notch down as well.

The upscaler (along with grain filter) completely destroy the image quality, which is a big part of the reason the game is so overlooked when it comes to its visials. The upscaler is only good if you play at 4K, everything below that is better at native resolution with toned fown settings instead (ESPECIALLY the volumetric light, you have only three spots in the game with god rays where you'll notice any difference at all).
I play at 4K, everything max without upscaler I get 50- 60 fps, if its on I get 100+... but I'm locking it to 90fps and turning vsync off (if its on, it judders) ( 70-80 gpu %)

Oled CX 65"
R7 5800x
3080 ti
32gb 3200
7000mb/s nvme

I'll try you tips...

Top Bottom