• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break W10 will not receive new updates. Want DX11? Buy steam version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:

https://twitter.com/RiotRMD/status/764167050843545600

tweet3mzk2f.png

Old post:

So Quantum Break W10 will not receive any new updates. And it seems like you have to buy the game again if you want to play it with DX11. People who bought this for 69.99 € must be really pissed off. Wtf.

https://twitter.com/sabin1981/status/763470863626805249

https://twitter.com/CaptainBakayaro/status/763430374466789376

Dunkley

So in another thread I said this is the biggest step backwards from the all-UWP future I've seen so far, but by now that step has turned into a straight bullet donated to the all-UWP future.

I feel really bad for the people who bought QB on the Win10 Store thinking this is the only way to play it on PC only to find out now it's getting a DX11 and Win32 release.

Hasney

Sweet, looks like Quantum Break was the first and last W10 store game I will play. Never got around to finishing it as I was having problems with the PC version and didn't want to downgrade to my XB1 copy, but good to know they're still giantly fucking up their PC game efforts.

If you bought the Win 10 version presumably you already had the required OS and hardware to run the game since it came from the Windows Store. I don't understand why they would want or need the downport.

QB deserves better decision making from Microsoft.

If you bought the Win 10 version presumably you already had the required OS and hardware to run the game since it came from the Windows Store. I don't understand why they would want or need the downport.

Because their is a (high) possibility that the Win32 version runs significantly better than the UWP build, the DX11 pipeline is likely more mature than the shoehorned DX12 renderer.

Mivey

I would consider the Steam version a patch on the Win10 one that simply removed the biggest issue: UWA. What more are people expecting?

LewieP

I said it in the other thread, but I gather that MS tend to be fairly lenient about refunds on the Windows App Store. If you bought it there you should ask for a refund.

It's probably in their own interest to offer refunds, otherwise people will be further put off from buying Windows App Store exclusives if they think there's strong likelihood of a steam release later.

Edit: they should be offering people who bought the UWP version Steam key at no extra charge. Are Remedy self publishing the Steam version, or is it Microsoft?

Vuze

That's exactly what I feared. I'll eat my hat if the Steam version doesn't perform better than the Windows Store version yet you are tied to Windows 10 and Microsofts horrible store with the latter to begin with.
It's incredible they don't even consider giving Store version owners the DX11 version on Steam by linking the accounts or sth.

Certainly the last game I bought on the Windows Store.

It is possible that a DX11 version of Quantum Break could perform better than the DX12 version. Especially because this enables nvidia and AMD to offer optimized drivers for the game.

Xater

Wow that is just awful. I feel for PC gamers who begrudgingly bought it on W10 and now that version is basically not going to be supported anymore.

Yeah, Remedy are most likely done with Microsoft at this point, and I'm kind of glad. Microsoft have handled them and their IP very poorly. Also, this makes me very hesitant to purchase Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4 on the Windows Store, despite them being two of my most anticipated AAA titles this fall. Should I just wait for Microsoft to see reason and put their games on Steam instead?

jelly

Why would they not patch the W10 version and will they patch the Steam version?

I don't get it. That seems idiotic if they support the Steam version and forget the other.

roytheone

If these things keep happening, why would you ever buy something on the windows 10 store? Yeah, you get games a bit earlier, but you also pay WAY more for WAY less support and features. It's a terrible deal.

The_Kid

Yeah, Remedy are most likely done with Microsoft at this point, and I'm kind of glad. Microsoft have handled them and their IP very poorly. Also, this makes me very hesitant to purchase Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4 on the Windows Store, despite them being two of my most anticipated AAA titles this fall. Should I just wait for Microsoft to see reason and put their games on Steam instead?

Does Remedy own the Alan Wake IP, or Microsoft?

Because if it means Alan Wake 2 on a crappy PC port or no Alan Wake 2, I'll take Win 10. :c

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Wait Quantum Break is coming to Steam? May pick it up now

RulkezX

I really want to retire my X1 ( wifi is fried , £84 for a repair) and just buy the exclusives on PC , but shit like this in inexcusable.

Guess I'll be waiting 6 months longer hoping for Steam releases , then.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

On the contrary, I feel Microsoft has given them far more support than their output deserved.

Remedy is extremely lucky to have Microsoft.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does Remedy own the Alan Wake IP, or Microsoft?

Because if it means Alan Wake 2 on a crappy PC port or no Alan Wake 2, I'll take Win 10. :c

The IP is Remedy's, but it's my understanding that ownership of Alan Wake the game is split between both Remedy and MS (both companies are listed as the copyright claimants of the tie-in novel that was included in the CE).

Didn't the Windows 10 version come with the Xbox One version? So there should be a significant amount of people with the ability to download that version.

I could maybe get making a patch for one platform (let's say Xbox) and not releasing it on another (PC). But to not make a patch for one store is just scummy.

If these things keep happening, why would you ever buy something on the windows 10 store? Yeah, you get games a bit earlier, but you also pay WAY more for WAY less support and features. It's a terrible deal.

I think this could be an exception, because Remedy isn't an actual Microsoft dev studio. So I don't think future Microsoft games will also come to steam. But this whole thing certainly makes the W10 store look really bad. I hope the people responsible understand this.

this is a joke..
but then again, what were people expecting?
windows already proved themselves not up to the task with GFWL..
Then they WAP as the saviour and people were a bit skeptical..
They receive underwhelming sales (compared to expectation) and guess what happens next?
"Imma Steaming dat Steam"...

Would be interesting if remedy proposed//asked for a secondary option for those that have already the game on the wap to gabe and steam management said "no thanks", if if remedy didn't give a flying sausage and was only after the steam money ..

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Gemüsepizza;213223182 said:
I think this could be an exception, because Remedy isn't an actual Microsoft dev studio. So I don't think future Microsoft games will also come to steam. But this whole thing certainly makes the W10 store look really bad. I hope the people responsible understand this.

Quantum Break is entirely Microsoft's property, though: it owns both the IP and the game itself. I think this release is MS testing the waters to see how to much money it's leaving on the table by requiring that people use the WinStore to play its games. If the Steam version sells sufficiently well, we'll see more Steam releases of WinStore games; if it fails to make much of an impact, then MS will continue with its exclusivity push.

Also, this move sets a precedent, regardless of Microsoft's intentions. Microsoft could shout "Forza 6 won't be released on Steam!" until its blue in the face, but such a statement wouldn't carry much weight the second time around.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yeah. I'm never buying a top title from the windows store ever again. This is pure bullshit.

This is incredible.

They're really shitting the bed again with UWP.

Microsoft are completely unable to do anything other than shit the bed with every move they make these days. It's crazy. From thinking humanity had any interest in an always-online TV-centric Xbox DRM machine, to thinking humanity had any interest in another imprecise waggly-arms motion sensor, to thinking humanity has any interest in sloppy, garden walled PC ports.

There are people in powerful, decision making positions at Microsoft whom I wouldn't trust to serve me burgers.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Ouch, glad I only got the UWP version though the BST thread. Microsoft's total lack of care with this title on their own platform has been shocking and killed any chance of me buying anything from the Win 10 store again. I'm glad Remedy got the chance to release the version they wanted and that the game isn't trapped in the Win 10 store forever but I can't imagine ever going back to the Win 10 store ever again after this.

They really want to kill their own store with this support decision....wow!

They killed their own store 3 years ago after GFWL. It should teach a lesson that Microsoft shouldn't ever run a store and that's all. I know all the apologists will come to say about "Competition is good for us" "But they may improve/wait for Build 2017". The thing is, they have crap policies and they never changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom