• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Queen Elizabeth II has passed away

No I understand that at one time that was the dogma and the party line.

I'm saying that no sane human being in the modern age would believe that it's real. Anyone who is even slightly educated knows that the royal families of the world got to where they were by a combination of luck, wealth, and politics. The current English royal family is no different.

There is not a single solitary chance in hell that Charles actually believes that he has some divine right to rule. He has never struck me as a zealot or an idiot.

it's all fun and games and pomp & circumstance and ceremony and historical mumbo-jumbo that doesn't mean anything. Until it does, like today.

from his proclamation:

“Charles III, by the grace of god of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of his other realms and territory, King, head of the commonwealth, defender of the faith, to whom we do acknowledge all faith and obedience with humble affection, beseeching god by whom kings and queens do reign to bless his majesty with long and happy years to reign over us.”

you're coming at this from a rational point of view and it's probably confusing you a little, but you are making up that he doesn't believe the words he was sworn on just because you don't

DKehoe

Gold Member

I'm saying that no sane human being in the modern age would believe that it's real. Anyone who is even slightly educated knows that the royal families of the world got to where they were by a combination of luck, wealth, and politics. The current English royal family is no different.

There is not a single solitary chance in hell that Charles actually believes that he has some divine right to rule. He has never struck me as a zealot or an idiot.
I think we know so little about what the Royal Family think about basically everything. So it's hard to get a sense of what their actual opinion on anything is.

FunkMiller

it's all fun and games and pomp & circumstance and ceremony and historical mumbo-jumbo that doesn't mean anything. Until it does, like today.

from his proclamation:

you're coming at this from a rational point of view and it's probably confusing you a little, but you are making up that he doesn't believe the words he was sworn on just because you don't

You might want to look into what Charles Windsor has to say about the religions of the world, vs what King Charles the 3rd must say as part of custom and tradition.

Don’t confuse these rather archaic ceremonies with what people actually think and feel in the 21st century.

Last edited:

Ionian

They achieved it through wars and inter-marriages. hahaha.

It was mapped out, always has been. Sure some married Germans.

There is always a map.

You might want to look into what Charles Windsor has to say about the religions of the world, vs what King Charles the 3rd must say as part of custom and tradition.

Don’t confuse these rather archaic ceremonies with what people actually think and feel in the 21st century.

you mean this?

He said: “As I tried to describe, I mind about the inclusion of other people’s faiths and their freedom to worship in this country. And it’s always seemed to me that, while at the same time being Defender of the Faith, you can also be protector of faiths.”

saying other religions exist is not a contradiction to him being in position on the grace of God, he is quite happy holding both views as long as the latter is never diminished

Last edited:

FunkMiller

you mean this?

saying other religions exist is not a contradiction to him being in position on the grace of God, he is quite happy holding both views as long as the latter is never diminished

Do you not think the fact he recognises and accepts other religions as being valid is a clear indicator of how much he actually believes in the specific doctrines of the Anglican Church? If you’re trying to maintain that Charles is some kind of super devout King, who thinks he is divinely ordained… then this type of evidence really doesn’t support that position.

Do you not think the fact he recognises and accepts other religions as being valid is a clear indicator of how much he actually believes in the specific doctrines of the Anglican Church? If you’re trying to maintain that Charles is some kind of super devout King, who thinks he is divinely ordained… then this type of evidence really doesn’t support that position.

the only clear indicator is the quote I posted where he is quite happy to hold both views publicly, he recognises his position and it's by the grace of God...it's not by luck, but I'd like him to admit that and see how well that goes down

nush

Gold Member
king-charles-012-1.jpg

That's some nuclear grade side-eye she's getting here.

FunkMiller

the only clear indicator is the quote I posted where he is quite happy to hold both views publicly, he recognises his position and it's by the grace of God...it's not by luck, but I'd like him to admit that and see how well that goes down

He’s now the literal head of a church. He’s not going to undermine it at any stage. But don’t confuse that with some medieval level of personal belief.

Jsisto

It’s not about whether they can become king, it’s about whether they should.

Henry the 6th only became king at that age, because there was no other choice.

My point is why would Charles abdicate for William, and ruin his life? What possible good reason would there be?
8 months...Imagine finding out as soon as you grow into real self awarenes that you're one of the most powerful people in the world. Impossible to not have an incredibly fucked up perspective.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

8 months...Imagine finding out as soon as you grow into real self awarenes that you're one of the most powerful people in the world. Impossible to not have an incredibly fucked up perspective.

Sadly, by the time he grew old enough to actually do anything, those who ran the country in his stead had rather fucked the country’s strategic position during the 100 years war. He was also a weak king when he was an adult, which led to the war of the roses. Monarchy can be a dreadful thing.

daffyduck

Technically there is always the possibility they leave her on the 20, and just change the coins.
The 20 will need to change as well, but they're reportedly in no hurry, and existing coins and bills can stay, as long as they're intact.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
She didn't have any. Her last Corgi, Willow, died in 2018 and she didn't have any more after that.
Edward gave her two last winter, I think Princess Anne and Edward will keep them or do something with it. She also had 100 horses so that needs to be dealt with as well.

Stuart360

So what happens to her money?. I read reports that she was possibly the richest woman in the world, and had more money than even Oprah lol.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Edward gave her two last winter, I think Princess Anne and Edward will keep them or do something with it. She also had 100 horses so that needs to be dealt with as well.

Not true, she was gifted 2 last year.

Huh. I thought after Willow died that was it because she didn't want to leave them behind after she goes. I stand corrected.

jdforge

Banned
Did I read somewhere in this thread someone wanting Newspapers from the U.K?

If anyone wants newspapers covering this story let me know. Happy to get some and send by post. (If you pay the postage).

Sunday edition newspapers usually have extended editorials or keepsake sections covering large stories like this.

nush

Gold Member
Did I read somewhere in this thread someone wanting Newspapers from the U.K?

If anyone wants newspapers covering this story let me know. Happy to get some and send by post. (If you pay the postage).

Sunday edition newspapers usually have extended editorials or keepsake sections covering large stories like this.

You'll make bank off royal memorabilia like that. Plenty of expats and commonwealth people collect it and have been for years. Those newspapers are one and done thrown away so they want to grab mint copies.

Tams

Gold Member
I'm glad to see so many people are coming out to pay their respect as her hearse and convey pass by. Pretty much every junction has people at it.

lcSlYGm.jpg

Ionian

You'll make bank off royal memorabilia like that. Plenty of expats and commonwealth people collect it and have been for years. Those newspapers are one and done thrown away so they want to grab mint copies.

Funnily enough and unrelated (although Royalty is involved). When I bought my house, in the attic was a box of newspapers before WW2, just as it was starting.

Was fascinating to read. Had the royal family etc. but so much random shit. Was reported like nothing was going on. Crazy stuff. Still have them, would never sell.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

I own a lot of Royal memorabilia, including newspapers, mugs coins etc. The oldest I have Is a George III penny from 1777. My favourite is an Edward VII mug from 1902. Some of it is worth a lot of money, but I'd never part with any of it.

Ionian

I own a lot of Royal memorabilia, including newspapers, mugs coins etc. The oldest I have Is a George III penny from 1777. My favourite is an Edward VII mug from 1902. Some of it is worth a lot of money, but I'd never part with any of it.

This is the way. Preserve history.

daveonezero

Banned
You talk as if she was the primary care giver for these animals.

I’d assume They will be well taken care of by the staff.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

:messenger_neutral::messenger_neutral::messenger_neutral::messenger_neutral::messenger_neutral:

Imagine it in real life.

Charles III: Martha!!!!! It's already 15:00 hrs . I woke up from my dream, where is the medicine to calm me down!!!!

Martha: You have it next to your bed majesty

Charles III: Well, put it in my mouth!!!!

Last edited:

Soodanim

:messenger_neutral::messenger_neutral::messenger_neutral::messenger_neutral::messenger_neutral:

Imagine it in real life.

Charles III: Martha!!!!! It's already 15:00 hrs . I woke up from my dream, where is the medicine to calm me down!!!!

Martha: You have it next to your bed majesty

Charles III: Well, put it in my mouth!!!!

The first clip is nothing, it's an official thing and those people are paid to be there. Even celebrities have assistants, everyone has a role to play. The second clip didn't do him any favours though, even if the assistant did fuck up. Maybe put it down to the stress of it all, who knows.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The first clip is nothing, it's an official thing and those people are paid to be there. Even celebrities have assistants, everyone has a role to play. The second clip didn't do him any favours though, even if the assistant did fuck up. Maybe put it down to the stress of it all, who knows.

But if he gets angry.

That day the Clonaz..... did not help him.

The Count Duckula 🧛‍♂️

And its not even Halloween 🎃

Last edited:

Soodanim

But if he gets angry.

That day the Clonaz..... did not help him.

The Count Duckula 🧛‍♂️

And its not even Halloween 🎃

Ol' Phil was legendary for his ways, a sense of humour not often expressed among royals but apparently he didn't give a fuck

Philip's down-to-earth manner was attested to by a White House butler, who recalled that, on a visit in 1976, Philip engaged him and a fellow butler in a conversation and poured them drinks.[193][fn 5] As well as a reputation for bluntness and plain speaking,[195] Philip was noted for occasionally making observations and jokes that have been construed as either funny, or as gaffes: awkward, politically incorrect, or even offensive, but sometimes perceived as stereotypical of someone of his age and background.[196][197][198][199][200] In an address to the General Dental Council in 1960, he jokingly coined a new word for his blunders: "Dontopedalogy is the science of opening your mouth and putting your foot in it, a science which I have practised for a good many years."[201] Later in life, he suggested his comments may have contributed to the perception that he was "a cantankerous old sod".[202]

During a state visit to China in 1986, in a private conversation with British students from Xi'an's Northwest University, Philip joked: "If you stay here much longer, you'll go slit-eyed."[203] The British press reported on the remark as indicative of racial intolerance, but the Chinese authorities were reportedly unconcerned. Chinese students studying in the UK, an official explained, were often told in jest not to stay away too long, lest they go "round-eyed".[204] His comment had no effect on Sino-British relations, but it shaped his own reputation.[205] Philip also made comments on the eating habits of Cantonese people, stating: "If it has four legs and is not a chair, has wings and is not an airplane, or swims and is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it."[206] In Australia he asked an Indigenous Australian entrepreneur: "Do you still throw spears at each other?"[207]

In 2011, the historian David Starkey described him as a kind of "HRH Victor Meldrew".[208] For example, in May 1999, British newspapers accused Philip of insulting deaf children at a pop concert in Wales by saying: "No wonder you are deaf listening to this row."[209] Later, Philip wrote: "The story is largely invention. It so happens that my mother was quite seriously deaf and I have been Patron of the Royal National Institute for the Deaf for ages, so it's hardly likely that I would do any such thing."[210] When he and the Queen met Stephen Menary, an army cadet blinded by a Real IRA bomb, and the Queen enquired how much sight he retained, Philip quipped: "Not a lot, judging by the tie he's wearing." Menary later said: "I think he just tries to put people at ease by trying to make a joke. I certainly didn't take any offence."[211] Philip's comparison of prostitutes and wives was also perceived as offensive after he reportedly stated: "I don't think a prostitute is more moral than a wife, but they are doing the same thing."[206]

Top Bottom