• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Queering Fat Transmasculine Embodiment

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004

This is apparently a thing in the very legitimate academic field of Fat Studies. Let's have a look:

Ah, the """alleged obesity epidemic""", "fatphobia," and intersectionality. Got it.

Fascinating. So, who put this together?

Dr. Cat Pausé. Dr. Cat Paws? I strongly recommend not google image searching "Dr. Cat Pausé".

Fortunately older editions are searchable on Google Books, so we can take a brief look inside the world of academic Fat Studies publications:

-Arcadia-

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2019
There's clearly a pathological desperation to be part of an oppressed intersectional class, and something equivalent in oppression points to LGBT. They try to coin "fatphobia," talk about coming out as fat, and put their own (gravitational) spin on gender identity as fat identity.
I’ve noticed that. It isn’t the first time I’ve seen them borrowing terms from other groups in some kind of legitimacy play.

It kind of seems like they know that deep down, all they really have to do is work a little bit, and their ‘oppression’ will go away. The insecurity weighs on them, and thus, they display that quite transparently.

Identities though, are not so easy for some people to shed, particularly when it’s the only interesting thing about them, which would be my guess, either too lazy, and/or too in love with some misguided ideal of being something (also the social benefits it entails in that environment) and sticking it to... normalcy? Sure, why not. That’s somehow a bad thing these days.

I think a lot of these wacked-out ideas or identities are similar. Lost kids or people, looking to be something special, or to convert their undesirable aspects into a whole identity instead of working hard to defeat or surpass them, that are just prime material for brainwashing, or damaging themselves, in a culture that no longer prizes any kind of standards or traditions.

I had to write this quickly while hiding in a hut in Fortnite, so if it’s a little rough, hahaha.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
I’ve noticed that. It isn’t the first time I’ve seen them borrowing terms from other groups in some kind of legitimacy play.

It kind of seems like they know that deep down, all they really have to do is work a little bit, and their ‘oppression’ will go away. The insecurity weighs on them, and thus, they display that quite transparently.

Identities though, are not so hard for some people to shed, particularly when it’s the only interesting thing about them, which would be my guess, either too lazy, and/or too in love with some misguided ideal of being something (also the social benefits it entails in that environment) and sticking it to... normalcy? Sure, why not. That’s somehow a bad thing these days.

I think a lot of these wacked-out ideas or identities are similar. Lost kids or people, looking to be something special, or to convert their undesirable aspects into a whole identity instead of working hard to defeat or surpass them, that are just prime material for brainwashing, or damaging themselves, in a culture that no longer prizes any kind of standards or traditions.

I had to write this quickly while hiding in a hut in Fortnite, so if it’s a little rough, hahaha.
Hah, no worries. Yeah, absolutely. Who even has a strong sense of identity when they're 17 and deciding what to go to college for? It's also predatory behavior by academia, giving yet more useless degrees out at enormous expense in exchange for a sense of belonging and purpose.

When I got fat, I studied fitness and nutrition so that I could fix it. If I had bought into intersectional nonsense like this instead, though, it would've dragged me straight into the abyss of victimhood, externalizing blame and responsibility, and acceptance of a terrible personal outcome. Back in the day after I did my transformation and helped gaffers with their own journeys, these "fat acceptance" types who started showing up more and more were universally bitter, resentful, broken people who lashed out at anyone who didn't entertain their delusions.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
Another harrowing excerpt:

"Refusing to diet and fat acceptance or 'flaunting fat' are a kind of 'coming out' -- into a queer identity, without the internalized shame. If mainstream culture portrays fat as an invisible sexuality, and further portrays fat as undesirable, or implies that you're 'stooping' to have sex with someone fat, then how illicit, how queer is it, to be fat and have sex with the lights on?"

This piece actually asserts that Fat Identity is a form of Queer Identity, and being fat is its own sexuality. :messenger_expressionless:

Malakhov

Jun 6, 2004
If they met, it'd go something like this:

Most likely yes, and also would reject what was said to her like this girl because you know, taking actions to change and better yourself is too much hassle so let's just keep on playing the victim.

What an amazing communicator though, I would hate having a debate with the man.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2019
After making strides the last decade this new extreme me, me, me, it's all about me lgbt movement is going to cause a massive backlash and its going to be ugly.
I think society is really getting fed up with it, and that's a shame for people who just wanted to be treated equally.
I don’t think there’ll be a rollback of actual progress. If anything, stuff like this pushes the overton window so hard, that something like a gay man and his boyfriend, suddenly look pretty vanilla in comparison.

Also, I feel like an overriding message for all of us that have been through (with eyes open) this completely shitty era, beginning to now, is not to be like the woke. Not to try to push your vision of what the world should be on others. We’ve now seen what that looks like, as a society.

If this all ends someday, I think that’s a message a lot of people will take forward. ‘I may not agree with you, but I’m not going to try to control your life, thoughts, etc.’

Coolwhhip

Aug 26, 2019
If they met, it'd go something like this:

Haha yeah SJW must hate this guy, because he tears them apart. I love that statement about not having your own life in order means your opinion on big issues is useless.

The Youtube comments:

"Surprised that she couldn’t digest Peterson’s answer. You’d think she’d be good at digesting"

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Oct 24, 2017
Krynn
Another harrowing excerpt:

"Refusing to diet and fat acceptance or 'flaunting fat' are a kind of 'coming out' -- into a queer identity, without the internalized shame. If mainstream culture portrays fat as an invisible sexuality, and further portrays fat as undesirable, or implies that you're 'stooping' to have sex with someone fat, then how illicit, how queer is it, to be fat and have sex with the lights on?"

This piece actually asserts that Fat Identity is a form of Queer Identity, and being fat is its own sexuality. :messenger_expressionless:
Soon some guy in Sweden will be sued and lose in court for refusing to have sex with a fat woman because saying no to a fat woman is fat shaming and a hate crime.

Stouffers

Oct 17, 2017
So, did she come out as fat already?
What were the reactions of people when she finally confessed it?

Were they surprised because they didn't expect it?
She no longer had to pretend she was ok sitting at booths when dining out.

Flying Toaster

Gold Member
Apr 7, 2011
I find situations like these to be annoying. I crashed hard, had a midlife crisis and went back to school. My degree path puts me in unique situations to see some of the research possibilities that are petitioned to the department I am in. I just want to defend the Psychology, Social Work and Sociology departments at higher education as not all like this. Yes these research and topic types are becoming more common but the people working on them are not really going outside of academia so at least for now its stuck in safe spaces.

The topic at hand is strange for me. I used to be fit, I still am semi active but I stopped caring. I find self realization and awareness to be the start to noticing and addressing problems. Reading through some of this stuff really angers me at an irrational level because it throws out the main lesson I learned from my parents and mentors growing up which is accountability and responsibility for ones self and actions. Not all people choose to be fat, there are always outliers to issues especially when the human body is such a chaotic machine. That said those that authored this paper I find to be using certain structures of academia to perverse studies psychology, medical sciences and many other research areas that deal with human interaction and studies/papers like this deter many people from taking credible research seriously when things like this are also being published.

I shouldn't read GAF after my walk and before coffee, stupid shit like this makes me irritable.

dionysus

Yaldog
May 12, 2007
Texaa
I have a new nightmare. It is attending 1 of these 3 events: Aquaporko fat synchronized swim team show, Chub Republic mixer, or the worst one a Va Va Boombah Fat Burlesque show.

Guynamedbilly

Feb 28, 2018
Is it rude to "out" someone as fat before they're ready? Is the lettuce on their burgers their beard? So many questions.

Aug 28, 2019
lol, what morons

Thing is morons have been being morons in academia for ages and general society still continues on relatively normally. The fat acceptance thing is absolutely not going to go much further; it's unhealthy and only a small portion of liberals actually are comfortable with anti-science social stances.