• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quest-for-Glory-style indie CRPG "Heroine's Quest" available free

IISANDERII

I loved QFG 1 and 3 back then but by the time the free QFG2 remake came around, I was unable to get into it.
But I may give this a shot if it comes to android tablet!

How am I just now finding out about this? I got the full QFG set recently from GOG and this looks to fit into that perfectly.

Sectus

About how long is this? I never got into QFG. My brother always played them.

It's pretty long. My playthrough was probably at least 20 hours.

I don't think it's nearly as good as the best QFG games though. If you've never played a QFG game, I'd recommend you play the VGA remake of QFG1.

OK. I finally had time to dive in the game. Overall it was awesome experience. Music was good, but some tracks were familiar. Voice acting was good. Graphics were beautiful. Puzzles weren't too illogical.

I did ran into a few bugs, some which might be game breaking:
-
]I somehow gained two cursed rings (which makes all humans in Midgard not to talk to you). I got rid one of them by giving it to a bridge troll. If I tried to give the other one to him, the game would instantly crash. Luckily, I could give the other ring to the young boy. I don't think I was supposed to get two rings in the first place. Maybe it had something to do with reloading a save file.
-
When rescuing the young boy from the Svartalfheim. I shot a Magic Dart at him (which I meant to aim at cell's door). Hilariously enough, the boy tried calling for help and the game crashed.
-
Sometimes I would get a text/speech from a character that was not there. This happened with Snorri/Volund's gambling game where Volund left, but he would still talk. Other time this happened was when Thrivaldi turned into a stone and his sprite disappeared.

My only beef with the game is lack of full fledged hybrid character. You have certain routes and puzzles set for each class. Giving magic to any class can help you with some puzzles, but you won't be able to get all spells. Even with maximized strength my charater was not able to
push a box to flood Andvari's workshop, even if one of the NPCs hinted that I could so. I only had two options, either to steal one of his tool or use the Arctic Wind spell.
This game also had a classic Sierra moment, not sure if it was intentional as Warrior and Sorceress could beat the game without it.
To kill Egther as a Rogue, I would need poison for my throwing dagger. Well, I played the game up to that point without knowing it. I tried everything until I had to seek for help. It appears that only Rogue class needs the poison to beat the game. The issue here is that when you go to Egther's castle in Chapter 4, there is no way to leave the castle and if you have no previous save to return to, then you're stuck and can't beat the game.

I'll probably play it for full points once v1.1 comes out.
I ran into the same final bug as you
Imagine my surprise when I figured out the way to clearly kill the final boss, only to have him vanish and kill me instantly :(. There actually was a way to get past this bug if you had the horse that lets you fast travel between cities

Almighty

When did we start making that distinction?

From back in the day when western developers stuck to the PC for RPGs and console RPGs were pretty much all Japanese(JRPGs). When western developers moved to the Xbox is when the term WRPG started to replace it. CRPG still pops up from time to time when people want to describe games that harken back to the gameplay styles of 80s/90s PC RPGs.

Card Boy

Banned
in case anyone did not know the game is now on Steam.

Again in case the thread title isn't an indication, the game 100% free with no microtransactions. The Steam version has achievements. You can make a donation to the game here http://www.crystalshard.net/hq.htm

header_292x136.jpg

Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok is an adventure / RPG hybrid. Like in many adventure games, you have a world to save, and must use your wit, guile and inventory to puzzle your way through.

Like in many roleplaying games, you can customize your character with various classes and skills, and must train yourself in combat to stand a chance against the fierce monsters in your way.

The game is designed in the spirit and atmosphere of the classics, and strives to have the same high quality of art, music, and plot. With multiple character classes and several solutions to many puzzles for further replayability.

ss_35d759eef821ac29161ac872b3901b5297b73e7c.1920x1080.jpg

ss_a123c6520a822bc9611f6de9393cf3603c7588ba.1920x1080.jpg

ss_50537b74640c275dd31be9dfdbfd09ed15250533.1920x1080.jpg

ss_935c50ec140dde2b145848b49cc4735c2da14a3d.1920x1080.jpg

Zubz

Banned
So this is still free? I think this'll be a nice way to cap off the work I have to do over the next couple of days.

BlackRock

I'll have to check this out. I adored the old QfG games. I even have the original Hero's Quest version of the first game I got for Christmas as a kid. Such a perfect melding of RPG and adventure gaming. And games with solid replay value. Didn't all of you replay to see the game from all three classes?

So this is still free? I think this'll be a nice way to cap off the work I have to do over the next couple of days.

The game uses some copyrighted assets (some of the sprites are based on sprites from classic adventure games, and the portraits are based on Googled photos). Making the game not free would cause them problems.

Top Bottom