• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quest-for-Glory-style indie CRPG "Heroine's Quest" available free

Xisiqomelir

Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok is an adventure / RPG hybrid. Like in many adventure games, you have a world to save, and must use your wit, guile and inventory to puzzle your way through. Like in many roleplaying games, you can customize your character with various classes and skills, and must train yourself in combat to stand a chance against the fierce monsters in your way.

The game is designed in the spirit and atmosphere of the classics, and strives to have the same high quality of art, music, and plot. With multiple character classes and several solutions to many puzzles, the game has excellent replayability.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wgzU3nybN5Y

Screens:

40.png

forest2.png

erana4.png

Download (~400MB): http://www.crystalshard.net/hq.htm

+ Pixel art (<100 backgrounds, >10,000 animation sprites)
+ Full voice acting
+ Multiple paths to victory

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Love the visuals. Going to give it a download.

Really liked Quest for Glory series, especially the first one. Hopefully this has the same type of feel (and it would seem like it judging from the screenshots/trailer).

I never even played Quest For Glory but this is pretty good. The graphics are impressive. Some of the puzzles are difficult but the RPG aspects are pretty addictive.

taoofjord

Thanks for sharing, the QFG series is probably my favorite non-Lucasarts adventure series. The fourth one in particular was sooooooo good back in the day.

epmode

Man, I would have been so much happier with something that looks like this than whatever the hell the QFG creators are doing with that Kickstarter game. Low-res pixel art is a great option for small budgets.

Man, I would have been so much happier with something that looks like this than whatever the hell the QFG creators are doing with that Kickstarter game. Low-res pixel art is a great option for small budgets.

Yeah, I backed their game, but I don't have much hope for it. The demo didn't really help matter either.

epmode

I think they're having trouble because their work on QFG was more about game design, writing and content creation than it was about engine coding. Remember, Sierra already had a great engine built expressly for adventure games. While Unity is nice, it's not exactly ready-made for adventure games.

Sectus

I've been playing it now and then since I saw this thread. It's a fun game. The only thing which has frustrated me so far was
entering the thieves' lodge. I had completely forgotten about the "acrobatic leap" skill so I spent ages figuring out how to enter without getting killed.

Aside from that I've been having a fun time. The cold mechanic is interesting as it makes exploration more difficult, and probably more difficult than the other QFG games (maybe QFG2 is harder because of the time limit, but I can't remember how strict that was).

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

megalowho

They made this in Adventure Game Studio? I really need to spend some time learning that thing for reals.. seems like they've done some neat stuff with it. Downloaded and looking forward to playing.

They made this in Adventure Game Studio? I really need to spend some time learning that thing for reals.. seems like they've done some neat stuff with it. Downloaded and looking forward to playing.

AGS was literally made for making this kind of game. It's just that LucasArts-style adventure games are easier to make and thus more common.

Almighty

Yeah, I backed their game, but I don't have much hope for it. The demo didn't really help matter either.

That doesn't sound good. I remember making the thread for the kickstater and being all excited and then it just kind of fell of my radar. Right now I am pinning my hopes on Mage's Initiation for my QFG fix.

I will have to now check out this game as well. Sometime this weekend probably.

epmode

I loved these kinds of games when I was a kid. Don't think I have the patience for them anymore.

The QfG games are still really light RPGs, unlike most other games on the market. They're not a big time commitment at all.

Unless you're complaining about something else? I think they're super-relaxing.

No surprise it's the top download on that AGS site this week. But that it has nearly 20 times as many downloads as the #2 game...wow.

Sectus

No surprise it's the top download on that AGS site this week. But that it has nearly 20 times as many downloads as the #2 game...wow.

Well the other recent games seem to be mostly catering to the AGS community, while this game has a broader reach being linked to from gaming news sites and other forums.

OK. I finally had time to dive in the game. Overall it was awesome experience. Music was good, but some tracks were familiar. Voice acting was good. Graphics were beautiful. Puzzles weren't too illogical.

I did ran into a few bugs, some which might be game breaking:
-
]I somehow gained two cursed rings (which makes all humans in Midgard not to talk to you). I got rid one of them by giving it to a bridge troll. If I tried to give the other one to him, the game would instantly crash. Luckily, I could give the other ring to the young boy. I don't think I was supposed to get two rings in the first place. Maybe it had something to do with reloading a save file.
-
When rescuing the young boy from the Svartalfheim. I shot a Magic Dart at him (which I meant to aim at cell's door). Hilariously enough, the boy tried calling for help and the game crashed.
-
Sometimes I would get a text/speech from a character that was not there. This happened with Snorri/Volund's gambling game where Volund left, but he would still talk. Other time this happened was when Thrivaldi turned into a stone and his sprite disappeared.

My only beef with the game is lack of full fledged hybrid character. You have certain routes and puzzles set for each class. Giving magic to any class can help you with some puzzles, but you won't be able to get all spells. Even with maximized strength my charater was not able to
push a box to flood Andvari's workshop, even if one of the NPCs hinted that I could so. I only had two options, either to steal one of his tool or use the Arctic Wind spell.
This game also had a classic Sierra moment, not sure if it was intentional as Warrior and Sorceress could beat the game without it.
To kill Egther as a Rogue, I would need poison for my throwing dagger. Well, I played the game up to that point without knowing it. I tried everything until I had to seek for help. It appears that only Rogue class needs the poison to beat the game. The issue here is that when you go to Egther's castle in Chapter 4, there is no way to leave the castle and if you have no previous save to return to, then you're stuck and can't beat the game.

I'll probably play it for full points once v1.1 comes out.

chronosic

Never heard of this until now. I adore the quest for glory series, so I'll definitely give this a try. Are they going to make sequels for this? Would be nice if they had it so you could transfer your hero to the next game like QFG.

Top Bottom